Why is this film scarier than it has any right to be?

Why is this film scarier than it has any right to be?

haven't seen it in a while but i swear it doesn't make any sense. can someone explain the ending for me

didn't scare me at all
>oOOHooHoo these tapes now have figures in them

too cerebral for brainlets to get it

cue people saying "nothing hapens lmao"

>girl during her trip sees a vision of her dead corpse
>dies
>was having threesomes with the couple next door
>the "ghosts" in the videos were just the next door neighbor breaking in trying to recover a tape of one of the threesomes
>all the photos of her ghost were just photoshopped by the brother
>family moves

yeah the video of her finding her own corpse is what i still don't get at all

The minds of people who are incapable of fear are infinitely interesting to me desu

now THIS is autism

What do you mean

>all the photos of her ghost were just photoshopped by the brother
>family moves

you missed

>Later on It is discovered that there actual images of her ghost on the pics that were originally dismissed as fake

The whole point of the film is that the main girl is kind of psychic, and she saw a vision of her own death.

That's why in the film, they say that she saw a ghost, but she didn't expect it to be her own. It's why she was terrified and ended up burying some of her stuff in ritualistic fashion for her folks.

It's a story about how shit being psychic would actually be

kill yourself faggot

it's garbage

Absolutely nothing fucking happens: the movie.
I've tried watching this on 3 separate occasions, and I just get so fucking bored. The atmosphere is shit, the characters aren't interesting, and all the 'scares' are handwaved away and explained by the end.
I'm not even being a shitter here, it was just a bad movie.

It's played pretty straight and the scary moments are quite minimalist, original and well done. "scarier than it has any right to be" puts it quite well.

I mean where has someone being approached in the darkness by their own bloated corpse been done before? Very cool unexpected moment.

Out of curiosity what did you think of Blair Witch Project?

not him, but BWP is 100x better than this shit

please don't try to compare them

The fact that it's such a slow-burn moment makes it good. You see it come out of the dark and shuffle up to her. It's only once it gets close that you realise what you're looking at.

What makes it so scary is she literally saw her own death coming and could do nothing about it. That sense of dread and unease of knowing combined with someone seeing their own corpse in the flesh is genuinely frightening. The slow burn builds a lot of tension but there's no big jump scare that plebs expect so they write the film off as trash without thinking.

Really the film is more scary the more you think about it and the mockumentary setup is supposed to get you immersed and trying to solve the mystery of the film which sets you up for the spook.

Also I think it was implied that the character's mom would die too.

Imagine being such a brainlet that you think Lake Mungo is a bad movie.

Gotta be one of the top 10 Found Footage/Mockumentary movies ever made desu

>frogposter
>shit taste
>calling other people brainlet

o im laffin

>Nothing poster
>Everyone ignores him
>Doesn't like Lake Kino
Many such cases... sad!

Say that to my fucking face pussy!

Stop with this meme faggot, it's not going to take off

Well even then I didn't realize exactly what I was looking at. The editing is good there, IIRC. When she gets close they freeze frame, voiceover telling you what it is, then the rest of it plays. It's pretty chilling.

I agree but from his complaints are exactly the same as the ones I see about BWP. BWP is one of the best horror movies ever made IMO. Probably the best found footage movie. Only one I've ever seen that actually feels authentic.

For the million and one found footage movies that have been made since it really boils my piss that not one of them even tried to capture that real feeling. REC did a pretty decent job though considering the subject matter

If you like Found Footage I HAVE to recommend Hell House LLC. Fucking great movie.

As Above So Below is very fun too. It has a few scenes that ruin the atmosphere but overall it's cool.

Not him, but have fear and suffer existential crises on an almost daily basis and I just wasn't scared by the movie.

Neato concept and mystery but it didn't spook me at all.

enjoyed both of these

"that"

Thanks guys I'll actually check these out. Itching for some good found footage, especially after the massive disappointment that was the VHS series

the first two were bretty gud though

They were alright for a bit of goofy fun but still not one of them tried to feel real, it was always some stupid gimmick short. No offence

There's just something about the horror genre where it's like the standards are so low. You basically get credit just for having made a movie in the first place it seems like

I regret watching this movie with my friends. They were whining about it being boring all the time, so it totally killed the vibe for me. I might actually give it another chance.

>Watching horror kinos with normies
Bad mistake user, you should have just put on Paranormal Activity 3002 or Ouija.

had the opposite experience

showed it to my 2 norman friends expecting them to be bored and they were on the edge of their seat we sat around talking about it for a couple of hours afterwards

lake mungo is neither found footage nor horror movie. it's a mockumentary / supernatural drama. OP has a point because it's not a horror movie and shouldn't be taken as such. it's a ghost story at absolute fucking most. B-BUT IT'S NOT SCARY brainlets should watch something more their speed like that one where the people get chopped up by the axe and it's really epic

check this out my man. don't be put off the by the generic poster

>slow burn
None of the things which precede that scene have anything to do with it. There is no build up or anything. It's not build-up if it doesn't tie in to it.

>good build up in a horror film
Blair Witch Project, because it everything is slowly unraveling and connected to each other.

>bad or no build up in a shity horror film
Lake Mungo, because it's cliche after cliche, including the final scene.

The only reason why someone would praise Lake Mungo is if you're either the producer who wants to make money off it or if it's babby's first horror film.

>The only reason why someone would praise Lake Mungo is if you're either the producer who wants to make money off it or if it's babby's first horror film
babby's first movie criticism of a film that the babby didn't like

Thanks bro

G-guys I got deja vu reading this thread...Am I psychic? Am I going to encounter my own ghost?

absolute kino

banshee chapter is another pretty cool found footage

noroi the curse as well if you like mockumentary horror

It kept me engaged throughout, being an Ausfag too helped me relate to it better too I guess.

The build up to her seeing her dead self was just amazing.

It's a slow-burn with a great payoff, I really enjoyed it.

>banshee chapter is another pretty cool found footage

I've got this, but haven't watched it yet. Might check it out tonight.

Unfortunately the best active copy I could find online was YIFY.

it's because it was actually atmospheric and creeped you out long term rather than just being a lameass movie where things jump up at you occasionally

it does tie in though. the point is none of the "ghosts of alice" are real except for the one at the very end, which is a literal psychic vision of her yet-to-be-dead self. all of the stuff with the radio psychic and the female side of the family being fucked in the noggin build up to this. in regards to cliche, the film is self aware regarding the "scary ghost in the background" trope which you can tell from the way they let the audience (and the characters) down not once but twice, then doubly subverting that with the end scene and then again during the end credits.an actual criticism would be the brother's reasoning for doctoring the photos creating the first "red herring", which didn't make a whole lot of sense

Someone post THAT scene

what the fuck is happening with her eye here

is it closed or open or what

Nope
fuck this thread I'm outta here

BUT I NEED ANSWERS user

>Paranormal activity 3002
Kek

why was there a random sex tape of her and the neighbours

this looks nothing like the corpse we seeand how the fuck did she drown anyway

Shit flicks you were memed into watching more like

>show nothing for 2 hours, create some shitty drama