So Sup Forums. what did you think of the Seinfeld finale? was it a heaping pile of garbage...

so Sup Forums. what did you think of the Seinfeld finale? was it a heaping pile of garbage, or a Misunderstood masterpiece? or maybe just eh. Tell me what y'all thought.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zPnK0NCn_MQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aDiM-3ot9Q0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Misunderstood masterpiece
this

What makes you say that user? could you explain in detail.

I thought it was a good ending. They all deserved it anyway except for kramer

In context it was necessary to explicitly state that the gang were pieces of shit

It was pretty good. I didn't dislike it. It had the same quality as any other given episode, more or less.

It was an understood pile of mastergarbage.

God I want to fuck prime Elaine so badly

I hated it at first but it has to sink in that this is a show about nothing and you have to go with it. Really, 60% of the episode endings could have made a fine series finale.

It actually made me feel bad for them. I thought the episode was kind of a downer, but I like that it managed to bring out a different reaction.

This
>hurr durr they're assholes they deserve it
meme is senseless. Half the show's assholes get away with it. I mean hell, you have Newman laughing at it the whole episode (that scene where he's packing his things and just laughing without saying anything is sublimely funny).

The last episode itself is garbage because it's a clip episode and clip episodes are always garbage, made even worse by the fact that they did two clip episodes right before The Finale, but the actual conclusion of them being put into prison for being bad people is genius and it is the best way to conclude the show.

The show was always "Seinfeld and gang does a social faux pas because they're selfish, gets punished in the end" and the finale just follows this formula to its natural conclusion.

I WANTED TO SEE THEM ALL BEING RAPED IN JAIL WHILE THE THEME MUSIC PLAYS!!!FACT!!!

>In context it was necessary to explicitly state that the gang were pieces of shit
In context it was necessary to explicitly state that in this fictional example, Massachusetts has a piece of shit legal system that rail-roads anyone with bullshit unconstitutional laws that compell people to act against their own safety/liberty.

youtube.com/watch?v=zPnK0NCn_MQ

> as long as it's reasonable to do so
> robber appears to have a firearm during the robbery
> the four are completely unarmed due to being from jewyork
and they get fucked in the courtroom anyways despite the situation being an unreasonable risk (with fucking video evidence no less)

But yes, newyorkers are shit.

It was basically just a clipshow episode so it truly was terrible.

Her chin was too pointy. And her character was repulsively promiscuous.

Elaine from the first seasons was really pretty

it was evangelion episode 25/26 bad

What's this, grampa?

So it was pure kino?

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer.

>tfw no End of Seinfeld movie

I watched it live with the senpai and the general consensus was disappointment. Went to high school the next day and most people felt the same way. My homeroom teacher talked about it and, of course, singled me out and asked me what I thought. I told her I thought it was fitting that society put them on trial. I also made a point of talking about the ending and Elaine's body language. Her shoulders are shaking and when she turned her head way, she was fighting back the tears. Not sure why that scene resonated but it did. No one else gave a fuck. They thought it was bitter and unfunny.

It was a disappointment because all the people that watched the show when it was airing wanted a spectacular finale, they wanted it to be the BEST episode of Seinfeld ever, and how could it not be with Larry returning to write it?

High expectations led to people getting extremely butthurt at an episode that was still a good episode overall, if a but mediocre, but not bad in the slightest. It's a good send-off to the characters, and I didn't have any problems with it. That said, I'm coming from the viewpoint of having watched the finale years after it aired, and I had no idea that there was such a negative reaction to it at the time.

I liked it. Jerry's set in prison is pure stand-up kino.

>It's a good send-off to the characters, and I didn't have any problems with it.

That's pretty much it. It's a great idea to do something nobody ever does -- step all over the "return everything to normal at the end of 22 minutes" standard, that applying to the main characters only, for TV shows by holding them to account for all the slop they left in this process over the years.

I think the reason people didn't like it was because the show basically pointed to Jerry and the crew (and thus the viewer) and told them they were pieces of shit.

People who watch it connect with all the shit the characters did, they all relate to how they feel. The Finale basically chastised the viewers for doing the one thing the show was supposed to do.

The watchers subconsciously picked this up and didn't like the finale because they were rightfully called what they were.

It was more than that. Many people were simply underwhelmed by the finale. It was practically like a reformatted slideshow where they bring back all the notable characters the main cast got in a tangle with over the years.
What people wanted was hilarity and comedy more in line with prior episodes; ie multiple story lines converging at the very end to make a spectacular finale. Instead the viewers were treated to a tepid courtroom comedy rehash. With everything the writers could have done, they confine the characters and the story to a small room without any subplots or other narratives interweaving throughout. I get what Larry was doing, especially with the joke Jerry drops at the end to bring the show full circle but it was one of those things that sounded better as a concept than how it really turned out.
Additionally, many people were assuming something bad would happen to the main cast with rumors of all four of them dying in a plan crash, which would have been just as fitting for the little shits that they were.
The finale overall was ok. 3/5

I like how the last line about the button being too high on George's shirt was also the same line Jerry said at the very beginning of the pilot episode. The "didn't we already talk about this" remark is like saying, "yeah, at the risk of repeating jokes and story lines, we should probably just call it a wrap and end the show now."

youtube.com/watch?v=aDiM-3ot9Q0

>was it a heaping pile of garbage, or a Misunderstood masterpiece?

It's like the Sopranos ending. It makes complete sense and is telegraphed the entire fucking show.

But the fans love the pieces of shit they see on TV because they're immoral human garbage who fall in love with creeps, bastards, murderers, rapists and villains, as long as the actors are charismatic enough.

And so even though if you asked them what should happen to people who routinely lie, cheat and steal, they'll say they hope they go to jail, and lament the fact that "good guys never win", they'll applaud it just as easily.

> heaping pile of garbage

It was preceded by a clip show and used extensive clips in the finale. This was a mistake.

> Misunderstood masterpiece

Taking a cult show that's still on a high and ending it with a fuck you to the audience for liking the protagonist(s) is masterful.