When did you lose hope for cartoons?

Around the time Adventure time and Regular Show came it, it felt as if i couldn't relate to the annoyance and lout sounds coming from the screen.
I decided to watch the older shows, but they weren't as funny as i remember.
Steven Universe looks fucking awful and i just couldn't get into Star Vs.
Turbo Plaza and possibly 12 Forever look like they have taken everything wrong with early 2010's cartoons and amps them up to 11.

Do you really stop caring for children's show at a certain age or have the shows devolved to a mild distraction? Im 22, but i honestly stopped caring at 18.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLvZ1rzHDSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=dG7Rg_WiXYI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

then what are you doing here

THAT! That is the reason.

If I ever wanted to make a successful show. I just need to do is get a shit-load of FOTM baits and gay shit. And Sup Forums or tumblr will eat that shit up.

COMICS and cartoons, lad, but i've even lost most interest on those too.

Adventure Time is the only western cartoon I keep up with anymore, but I understand why people don't like it.

Korra season 1 & 2 broke my spirit. I watched all of Korra season 3, but I can't bring myself to finish S4. I've more or less migrated over to Sup Forums and love the fuck out of the seasonal shows that happen all the time.

I lost interest in f/a/gnime way before cartoons, it's all the same shit

How old are you?

i lost hope in the 00s
i got it BACK in 2010 with adventure time and all of its ilk

when this hit the airwaves

OP

I don't think "a bad era of cartoons" exists

The first cartoons that I watched that I considered downright awful were Code Lyoko, High High Puffy Amy & Yumi, Avatar the last airbender, and Ying Yang Yo

Sup Forumsckbois are going to eat me alive, I know

It was around when Korra's S1 airing that i realized how much i no longer cared.

shit bait

wow so much bad taste in this thread... your idea of a good cartoon must be something like pulp fiction

I just mostly watch adult swim cartoons now days.

I never lost it. There's good shit and bad shit. Same as it ever was.

Every episode I've seen of Adventure Time, I've loved, but I've only seen like 20 or so.

How much of it is relationship drama bullshit? I havent seen any of that but it seems like people rag on it for that. I'd like to get into the show but don't want it to be nothing but that.

I understand what you mean. Grew up with stuff like Dexter's Laboratory, PPG, Spongebob, all those oldies plus all the other new cartoons that popped up as the years passed by. I didn't like most of the series I watched, they were all mostly just time wasters for me. There would be a few episodes I'd like, though, but nothing I'd really enjoy rewatching. Honestly, I enjoy modern day cartoons more now, but my feelings haven't really changed. I like some episodes more than others, and I don't like that many series.

What I find equally enjoyable to watching, though, is just discussing the setting and story with some people here. Adds a bit more mileage to my enjoyment of a series.

>Rewatch Code Lyoko out of nostalgia.
>Every character is either stupid or a bland emo.
>Every episode follows the same story.
>The voice acting is ear-grating.

oh my car

Half-seasons.

Like when Cartoon Network started showing 1 new episode and one rerun on half-hour blocks of certain shows..

I never lost hope in cartoons because ever since I was a kid there have ever only been one or two shows on the air at a time that I like a whole lot and a lot I don't like

I guess the time with the most shows I liked at a time would have been the late 90s/early 00s, but since then it was a steady one or two I like and hate the rest.....

Then the Hub happened and I had a few I liked once again with Transformers Prime, Dan VS, MLP FIM, and LPS....then all of those shows got cancelled aside from MLP FIM, so now that is the only show I like

Very recently I haven't watched cartoons in months. I've kinda lost all interest in spending my time watching these shows.
They are all so shitty and I miss the day when I could like them without getting to cynical.

Ever sence LOK was made I've just felt such a lack of needed to even watch cartoons it was so awful. It's stained what used to be a hobby I enjoyed.

>it's all the same shit
It's more varied than live action TV and there's many different kinds of shows every season.

After the early 90's. Batman, Ren & Stimpy, Rocco's Modern Life, Doug, Thundercats, Transformers, Voltron, Gargoyles, etc. set an impossibly high bar and it's all been downhill from there with few exceptions.

Because you never had a genuine interest in cartoons in the first place.

What does the 18th century have to do with anything? Today the situation has been reversed.

>Around the time Adventure time and Regular Show came

Yup. It was then that it became obvious people have no standards.

Please take me into your wildes heer mein Fuhrer. All is forgiven. We need you again.

>What does the 18th century have to do with anything?

even today, I have no ideas what are the criteria for a "good" art.

You can't answer the question?

I already grew past my cynical phase when I was a teenager. I still enjoy cartoons. Find another hobby.

just

fuck everything

Cereal mascots have been changing since before you born.

I bet he doesn't even know about the Cookie Crisp Wizard.

>I'm mad because Lucky no longer looks the way he did when I was a kid

When Sup Forums started unironically enjoying SU. That's also the point when I lost faith in humanity as a whole.

What the fuck is this? Do you think this is fucking CBR Forums? Just stop.

Why is SU such cancer in your eyes? Why SU, and not Gravity Falls? Adventure Time? Not even that show about friendship and technicolor horses?

That's a perfectly legitimate complaint. Just like people who complain about new music, new technology, new fashion, etc.

Was cherry picking the same back then too?

I've never really seen those as legitimate complaints either unless an objective point was made about why a former version of something was, in some way, better and not just more familiar to the person complaining.

>Not even that show about friendship and technicolor horses?
You mean My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? The only other truly bad show you mentioned is Adventure Time, which I blame for starting this terrible new wave of cartoons. Unlike AT and SU, the other shows you listed never try to be more than they are. They just have one goal, and stick with it.

AT and SU are pretentious when they aren't catering to toddlers and hipster college kids. They want to be deep by sprinkling "lore" here and there, or they add relationship drama. Because that's what cartoons for kids needs. Relationship drama. And that's not even getting into the fandoms. Jesus Christ.

Can you objectively prove all new things are better?

Never... I still very much enjoy cartoons and will continue to enjoy Steven Universe and reruns of Aqua Teen and Sealab with the same enthusiasm I had for Dragonball Z and Dexter's Laboratory growing up.

The new pokemon seasons were also good. Haven't tuned back into it for a while though. I also enjoyed Seven Deadly Sins.

Now, if they made something like Ed, Edd, and Eddy for this day and age, I'd watch the hell out of that too.

jesus man, you pick cartoons spanning over 30-40 fucking years, then you wrangle up everything made in the last 5?

Talk about biased data sets.

DBZ, Pokemon and SDS aren't cartoons.

I didn't because I'm not a moron like you who assumes their taste is how things should be.

Yes they are.

They're anime.

In terms of technology and things that serve a nonsubjective purpose, yes unless they are just a step in the wrong direction. In terms of subjective things like the quality of cartoons, I'd accept any justification for why something in the past was superior, if only in the eyes of the person making the argument. It just feels like "things aren't the way I knew them and that's bad" doesn't feel like a valid enough of a complaint. Just give me one reason why you feel that way and that's good enough for me. I guess objective was the wrong word to use there.

I was considering make a collage of Hannah-Barbera sameface but I'm too tired/lazy to work that hard for a counterpoint.

You're splitting hairs here.

Transformers Animated did it for me, I just knew it was all over after that.

So in other words, you can't prove it.

Thanks for confirming.

>Hannah-Barbera sameface
Try doing that with more than one company, fag.

If they so much as aired Dexter's Laboratory in Japan, most people would call it an 'anime'

It's literally a blanket term for all cartoons there.

Anime are cartoons.

>pretentious when they aren't catering to toddlers and hipster college kids. They want to be deep by sprinkling "lore" here and there, or they add relationship drama. Because that's what cartoons for kids needs. Relationship drama. And that's not even getting into the fandoms. Jesus Christ.

Yeah Teen Titans sucked, I'm glad they remade it though

Splitting hairs? They're completely different kinds of animation and completely different industries.

The Japanese usage of the term is different from ours, and you're making a semantic argument.

Never. There's always room to hope.

I never said all new things are better in the first place, so I don't know what you want me to prove or confirm. You're welcome anyway.

Art that is pleasing to Jews. That's kind of why Hitler was mad, you know?

>completely different kinds of animation and completely different industries

So if I set a Disney animated film like the Lion King next to a 90s TV series like Dexter Laboratory, one would be a cartoon and the other not, right?

We were talking about anime vs. cartoons.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this absurd post. But I just can't.

This has to be bait.

Yes, but what makes an anime not a cartoon? Are they not both animated pieces of media? My post is calling into question the idea they are different by animation style alone because there are several different styles that would be called a cartoon all the same.

>Yes, but what makes an anime not a cartoon?
The region of origin. Japan. The fact that a large number of anime begin as manga, yet another subgenre exclusive to Japan.

Consider why we have Sup Forums and Sup Forums on this website, rather than simply /cartoon/ or some other bullshit. Then realize how stupid you sound.

Is anime the only animated media that is considered separate because of its place of origin? I understand why there is a cultural difference, but this whole discussion came about because one user lumped in DBZ with his childhood cartoons and I honestly don't see a big enough difference to say that it does not count.

>lost hope for cartoons
I gained hope when Adventure Time started airing but then immediately lost it because of ATs success.

We now live in a post AT animation industry where everything is this quirky adventure humor style cartoons that are required to have overarching plots/feels to rake in adult audiences as well as kids

Also don't like how channel/network branding degraded. Late 90s/early 2000s Cartoon Network dripped with style. Now its just bland or nonexistent

2007-2010

>Decline of Toonami with TOM 4 and Naruto filler hell
>No more ATLA in 2008
>Shows like George of the Jungle, Total Drama, Chop Socky Chooks, and the Mighty Bee start airing
>Original Ben 10 is replaced with alien force
>Zombie Spongebob full force
>Disney Channel pumps out bad sitcoms, CN real is born

They are totally, radically different approaches to animation and come from different cultures. The single thing they have in common is that they are both animation. Even if by cartoon we're talking about any and all Western animation, the differences are still enormous.

>Is anime the only animated media that is considered separate because of its place of origin?
It's the only one with its own terminology, yes.

Toonami is on Cartoon Network, where is your god now?

>Steven Universe LOOKS fucking awful
Not even gonna try it huh?

True, but what would we call a cartoon from China (that wasn't bootleg Western animation)? Or Korea? Russian cartoons always seemed pretty exotic to me. The cultural differences are there, sure, but animation can and has been approached several different ways even within the same country and especially over the years. Hell, anime was born out of Western animation to begin with.

I'm not saying abolish the term anime, merge Sup Forums or Sup Forums or any other stupid shit. I just think the difference between anime and millions of other things we would comfortable label 'cartoon' is just semantics.

I feel like Mystery Inc. was the last hurrah for my generation.

It makes you feel something.

Is Code Lyoko or what ever an anime? It's a different approach to animation from a different culture

Anime is a completely different system, culture and industry of animation than anything else.

No it's not an anime.

>anime was born out of Western animation to begin with.
And now Western animation often emulates aspects of anime in some contemporary cartoons. It's all just art, from different parts of the world, influencing and being influenced from each other. Cartoons and anime are both animations, the only difference is the latter is from Japan the former is literally every where else in the world.

Well I'm 25, and I haven't lost hope for cartoons. I'm really enjoying star vs. though, so perhaps I'm a manchild or something.

>the only difference is the latter is from Japan the former is literally every where else in the world
Do explain how the only difference between these two is where they were made:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLvZ1rzHDSQ

youtube.com/watch?v=dG7Rg_WiXYI

Who pays five dollars for a pizza slice?

But if a cartoon can have a completely different system, culture, and industry of animation, and even country of origin from another thing also considered a cartoon...

I still feel like you're not making a point as to why anime is not a cartoon, but only repeating why cartoons from Japan are referred to by their own name.

I just told you: anime is a completely different system, culture and industry of animation than anything else. What more explanation do you need?

There are several, but none which change the definition of a cartoon. You could easily compare Family Guy to Rugrats and there'd be a million differences, just no longer the country of origin.

The only one that's probably "bait-worthy" is avatar, but I didn't really like it much either.

Rest of those are pretty much agreed upon to be shit to mediocre at best.

that ain't no regular slice, it's a fag slice with semen filled crust

I wasn't talking about changing the definition of cartoon. I just illustrated that cartoons/cartoon-derived animation and anime are two completely different things.

>You could easily compare Family Guy to Rugrats and there'd be a million differences
I am not comparing individual works.

For you to clarify or make a counter point to mine, not just repeat yourself.

What is it that needs to be clarified or countered?

You're comparing two very different individual works in that post.

They're examples meant to illustrate the point.