70% of the land in the U.K is owned by 1% of the population, the rich still have norman surnames disproportionately

>70% of the land in the U.K is owned by 1% of the population, the rich still have norman surnames disproportionately
>the only country worse than them is Brazil
wtf France? what did you do to Britain?

Other urls found in this thread:

aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
archive.org/stream/englishpoetry11700manluoft#page/n1/mode/2up
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We made them into what they are today.

>control their country for generations
>rape their language to near extinction
>make the natives third class citizens
>finally leave but just to plot new ways to destroy them
>help their colonies revolt
>go to war several times afterwards

>Germany attacks France

And meanwhile their names are the only things French about them; I'd say the Anglos won.

>we

The US won after becoming a melting pot of several diaspora. Not exactly Anglo.

Anglos always ruled by someone else. Their kings and nobility are of German and French origin.

And the complex vocabulary of their language.
Every time you speak English you unknowingly are demonstrating French hegemony.
Example: common word : to want : Germanic
stronger word: to desire : French

common word: kingly: Germanic
stronger word: royal: French
even stronger: regal: Latin

Even in what you call food. Cow is the germanic word and it is used to describe the animal because the butchers and laborers were native Englishmen in Norman Britain. The food is beef, the french word, because those who could afford to eat it were French.

You read very versed in this. Where did you learn this information to the point you could regurgitate it off the top of your dome?

>the Normans were vikings!!
Racially, yes. But race has nothing to do with the quality of being French, because the French territory always had large disparities in terms of race between the North and the South, but also the West and the East. What defines the French ethnicity is nothing more than language and culture. Do you think modern day Normans, living in Normandy like their ancestors, don't consider themselves French?

Just googling etymology stuff.
To be fair I got the last example from this article: aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
It's a relay good read, basically summarizes all that happened to English super quickly.
I also have a 3000 page book called "The Norton Anthology of English Literature" which I read from time to time which explains the evolution of English in a LOT of depth.
And if you want a slightly quicker and more entertaining read I'm also super into "English poetry (1170-1892)". It's some esoteric book I got at a used book sale, it goes through middle English to modern English with examples of poems from every age. archive.org/stream/englishpoetry11700manluoft#page/n1/mode/2up

The first poem of the book starts like this:
Ich am nu elder þan Ich was a wintre and a lore.
Ich wealde more þan idude; mi wit oh to be more.
To longe Ich habbe child iben a worde and a dade;
Þeih ibie a winter eald, to jung Ich am on rade.

I am now older than I was in winters and in knowledge.
I possess more than I did; my wit ought to be more.
I have been a child in words and in deeds too long;
Though I may be old in winters, I am too young in wisdom.

You can only barely make out what this says from 1170, but super rapidly you'll see if you read the book it becomes more comprehensible as france rapes England.

Saying that the Normans were French is fine, but saying that the modern French were responsible for them is like me saying we're responsible for Denmark because of the ancient Danish tribes.
After all, if the Anglo-French and the French were so close all that long ago, then why would there be a war that lasted over a hundred years between them.

The HYW was a war between two french families for the throne of France, not a war between England and France.

Not to mention their new world escapades.

>my ancestors were French but I can't refer to them as "we"
Okay, whatever. You're literally getting buttblasted over semantics.

>mfw Swedish royal family is French

But on the other hand, the core components of the English language are very firmly English. Lots of new words crop up at certain times, but the foundation is all but unchanged and it takes only casual study to delve back well into middle English.

Don't forget that the founder of your "royal" house was not even a part of French nobility, just a son of some minor official.

>core components
Such as? Grammar?

dont forget that he also was a slimy traitor

He already wrote "french".

When have we backstabbed someone ?
We unironnically are pretty loyal.

And the syntax, and the most common words, and the sounds, and so on. The English language basically just mugged French for words it liked without really changing much of anything, just like it did everywhere else it spread.

Pic related is me laughing at your German humor

May

That time when Napoleon wanted to invade Portugal so we let him pass through our land because we were allies and then you decided to invade us to and behave like fucking niggers.

lmao good times

Your pic is a cute Russian cat and not some frog.

To be fair, that time, we weren't sure who was going to betray the other first.
So we did it first.
:^)

It was kinda funny.
It's not only that the vocabulary got messed by the French (which in itself is a huge issue because now English vocabulary is so complicated because roots come from Latin, French, Greek etc, whereas in other languages complex words come from combinations of smaller words so it's intuitive), but the grammar also deteriorated. Of course the scandanavian invasions actually did a lot to simplify grammar but the Frenchman's inability to learn English led to the loss of so many grammatical complexities. (Cases, distinct conjugations for other than the third person singular, second person is all messed up now (you guys???)).
Now English grammar is stupidly simple (pic related) an English vocabulary is stupidly immense and difficult.
I guess that's a good thing now that it's the global lingua franca, non English speakers can communicate quickly but it takes forever for them to master on account for the eclectic vocab.

>Your pic is a cute Russian cat
So, me?

Eh, there's a certain problems with your flag.

normandy and anjou made this
don't accuse the rest of us of creating this atrocity please

We were not going to betray you, in fact we were just going to divide portugal, giving the north to some italian prince napoleon screwed, the south to godoy (the guy who was fucking the queen) and the center was just going to be left portuguese.
We were already your bitch, what you did was rude.

British in suicide watch...

What Brazil has to do with UK on names?

>British in suicide watch...
*British on suicide watch...

Old English wasn't particularly complex in the first place, though.

Why does this American state get it's own flag?

but it's a cool flag

>Racially, yes
no

Maybe I am a russian cat in vacation to France.

My ancestor :)

>70% of the land in the U.K is owned by 1% of the population

70% of the UK is farmland, owned by farmers, are you telling me farmers are the 1%?