This has been my biggest beef with this show. Are humans stupid or do they not notice this stuff...

This has been my biggest beef with this show. Are humans stupid or do they not notice this stuff? Steven Universe had some huge bullshit going on with the ENTIRE planet's water supply turning into a space elevator and let's not even mention the alien invasion? These people should have been shoring up military and starting the formation of an X-Com like organization. This completely breaks my sense of disbelief.

Other urls found in this thread:

steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/655825
youtube.com/watch?v=Pxru_Rd_U5Y&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

treating the supernatural as if it was mundane is half the joke, it's not for everyone i suppose, but its part of the "reverse escapism" they were going for

But it isn't funny.

It's just cartoon logic, I guess. You either suspend your disbelief or go watch something else.

I think the problem is that the scale is too large. You really can't ignore the size of all the water from Earth from being used has a space elevator or an alien invasion.

I'm fairly certain this will be addressed in the future. It they could spend multiple episodes explaining Steven's weird aging I'm sure they'll fill us in on the state of world affairs once it becomes relevant to the story. As it stands, Steven is so removed from normal society that things like politics never reach him, so even if there were repercussions we wouldn't see them.

Why the army do not just nuke this thing? Why the army do not just kill all the monsters and gems?

I think the people behind the show have said that things like the ocean disappearing for a day are just kind of accepted by humanity as 'shit happens sometimes' due to having a nearly 6000 year history of random ayylmao magitech go off on them at this point.

>going on with the ENTIRE planet's water supply turning into a space elevator

This didn't fucking happen. It was PART of the ocean

I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS AND HERE'S WHAT I COME UP WITH.

The first gems arrive roughly 5000 years before current events. If the time of the show is concurrent to our own, that would mean they arrived in the midst of our Bronze Age.

Installing facilities around the planet couldn't have possibly gone unnoticed. But if they're around and fighting, and blowing up chunks of the planets surface, and draining whole valleys to create more of themselves. They may very well have become a regular fact of life.

You drop strange alien beings and their war into a large chunk of our developing history... Maybe it changes humanities perspective on things.

Which is the only possible explanation as to why Dr. Maheswaran could look at gem mutants with NO HEADS and thing "Oh this is just a really injured person." and look at Alexandrite and not think "HORRIBLE FOUR ARMED TITAN MONSTER"

>inverted crystal on US currency
>Pearl on quarters
>interacted with colonial Americans
I'm pretty sure the Crystal Gems work with the government.

... Okay that does kinda look like Pearl.

the gems have been around for a long ass time, their presence is normalized.

Because this show is too fruity and docile to show a hardened, masculine war general/commander dutifully taking action against these alien menaces.

Just like the mutants and other super powerful beings and the government want to kill them. So, what is your point? SU humans are retarded

>Fight a rebellion against Homeworld.
>5,000 years later some colonials are fighting a rebellion of their own.

I bet they would have loved the Founding Fathers, they probably helped out the Revolutionaries in some ways if they're on US currency.

Was Benedict Arnold a Gem?

I'm not a big enough Marvel fan to know how long mutants have been around (I think they've always been there, but they're just more common since the 20th century?), but they haven't been openly involved in human, and specifically US, history the way Gems have been.

>this show is too fruity and docile to show a hardened, masculine war general/commander taking action against aliens
This.

> the entire Atlantic is just gone suddenly
>No one talks about it ever again
> no one bats an eye

>"The hard part was getting the shark to pose."

More importantly, did Rose Quartz and Benjamin Franklin fuck?

steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

The first mutant was a pharaoh 5000 years ago

Jesus Christ, who did the Crystals get to paint this? For this whole hands fiasco they ought to have had him taken out back and shot.

And I believe, that ancient Gems built boats and sailed to America!

most definitely

I hate military shit, glad they just forget about it. Wish more shows did.

>Implying that any of the gems could resist Benjamin "Go to France, lose my pants" Franklin.

Yes, even Pearl.

What is supposed to be the issue here?

Really now?

Pearl's right arm is bent in an odd way, and Watson's left hand is a bit high up Amethyst's arm. Don't see the problem Pearl's left hand though.

Why do all those microcephalic soldiers have deformed legs and torsos?

>SU humans are retarded
Duh.
They've probably been eating partial Rose quartz produce for all of human history, the general hand-holding that would most likely occur with a people overseen by crying lesbian demigods explains why all the townsfolk of beach city are weak, childish, and simple.
The CGs have domesticated man.

What SU humans need is a HAMMER
youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

Nigga...

....oh my g- what if that was Roses plan!? and what if makign steven was her attempt to make a human/gem hybrid prototype, to create an army of hybrids and topple homeworld?
to make her own interstellar empire!!!

The militaries of earth are mainly made up of men, so of course they're all lolstupid in this SJW show.

>Just like the mutants and other super powerful beings and the government want to kill them.
Mutants started appearing in the sixties. Or Forties if you really want to count Namor for some reason.

Gems have been on the planet for roughly Five Thousand Years.

There's no "part of the ocean," the sea level is constant, which means the situation was the same worldwide.

Unfortunately, the writers would rather keep it as a happy slice of life kind of thing.

But if you're looking for a show that deals with Aliens and a government that deals with it, there's Men in Black and FLCL.

> FLCL
It's garbage though.

Lapis magic-ed the water around, the affected water isn't necessarily going to act logically.
Also, the width of her ocean pillar was only about six yards in diameter, and she didn't get high enough for Steven to pass out from oxygen loss, meaning that if she borrowed from the collective ocean it should have gone down considerably less.

Ok here is my little pet theory.
The Gems or their tech have build in Idiot waves/ IGNORE ME powers.

Think about it if you colonise a planet and build cultural stuff like spires you would not want corpes etc. all around. Instead you build in some wavelenght emitter that makes hummies uncomfortable around it so they just move on without giving to much thought about it.

Only if you spent enough time around all that your subconciousness learns how to deal with that. So Connie which spent more with Steven can see that this mutant monster is not a car crash victim, while her mothers mind is clouded and creates aacceptable reality for her when she first sees it.

So even when the phenomena and old temples are researched by sturdy scientists the majority of people would still not care about all that

So basically the gems are nega-monoliths?

You're garbage, though.

>bested by the edgy blue girl mid-fusion

See, this show hates any display of masculinity.

Presumably, if a gem-monster arrives outside of Beach City, the army deals with it. Beach City is a pretty small town.

I've always assumed Mayor Dewey and his family cover up as much of the gem shit that goes on in Beach City as possible. I'm sure everyone's aware of what goes on with the gems, but don't realize the severity of it.

This is a cape comic board. People should be used to repeated invasions having absolutely no effect on civilian's general attitude.

Lapis was able to flick a gem scouting ship away with a flip of a water finger.

She probably wrecked any military operations that tried to interfere with her. She had the might of the entire ocean backing her up.

It took the Gems a few hours to get to Lapis on Lion and in the van, the military could have responded and Steven just never saw the carnage she unleashed

So the inverse of male-oriented shows then?

There's a theory going around that I like that speculates that the global human population is MUCH smaller than ours. Like 1 billion compared to our 7 billion.

I always assumed it wasn't that people didn't notice, it's that it wasn't that unusual. Aliens came in and had a war. Supernatural stuff has happened for centuries and its not super exciting or unbelievable anymore so people try to ignore it and go on with life.

Nah. Johnny Bravo was male-oriented, and he broke down crying in one episode because he felt like he'd failed his dear, elderly mother

Justice League was male-oriented, and there were episodes where the big conflict was resolved by talking it out with the villain. Hell, in one, they politely asked him to undo his mischief, and he complied

Popeye was male-oriented, one of the manliest fucking cartoon characters ever, and he was not afraid to show vulnerability at all when he wasn't punching Bluto in the face

Plenty of male-oriented shows that let their characters ease up on the testosterone

According to Rebecca Sugar Steven Universe has alternate history where the gems have been around for centuries and humanity is aware of them. At least that's what I read. It could be wrong.

>There will never be a sudden reveal of paramilitary/secret service/interpol service that contacts Steven and the Crystal Gems and states it has decided to activate an all out project to contain and eliminate any external influence on Earth's affiars.

>The character who acts as the audiences view into this group will not be voice acted by Jay Anthony Franke doing his old JC Denton voice.

My beef whit this show is how connies mom tough that a multiple limbed no head creature, was an injured individual, what kind of crappy medical doctor is she, do the other doctors let her work there because of pity or what?

I think you are making a lot of assumptions.

The Steven Universe timeline heavily diverges from our own going back at least 5000 years. The very layout of the planet has been altered beyond repair, like half of Russia having been blown up.

The states have different names. We don't even know if 'America' as a country really even exists, just that people living on the north american continent.

And there is basically no governmental presence. Its not just the military failing to show up to fight aliens, remember the concern over public unrest and rioting? Mayor Dewey mentions another city that rioted itself right off the map.

That speaks to an absolutely massive absence of any kind of governmental involvement beyond the local level.

We know that the Gems warned ancient Dewey that America was a land still full of monsters, and not safe for humans. That was a couple hundred years ago but even so...

While the situation might be different elsewhere in the world, I think it is a safe bet to say that North America at least is very much still decentralized, like a frontier. There is no strong central government to deploy military forces or men in black to solve these issues, even if they wanted to.

Probably because gem monsters fuck up most human endeavors that get too big, like walking natural disasters. Yes, the crystal gems fight and bubble any monsters they come across, but consider they must have been doing that for the last 5000 years. Assuming no prison breaks setting previously caught gem monsters back into the wild, this means that the gem threats should only ever be going down, no up, throughout human history.

So if you go back even 100 years, the number of gem monsters at large on Earth goes up by a pretty huge number. Go back a thousand, and its a wonder human civilization gets anything done. Its like living in a fantasy setting where sometimes a dragon will just show up out of nowhere and absolutely wreck your shit.

I came up with an idea of a long medieval period, kind of like in Lord of the Rings. Gem involvement pretty much elevated mankind to a medieval level, maybe with some added mysticism, but all of the corrupted gems after the war prevented polities from really interacting or even surviving for long, resulting in stagnation. With actual giant monsters roaming around to fight, certain legendary warriors would probably rise up and fight the gems alongside the CGs, which is where the Armor of the Fallen came from.

It probably took thousands of years to clear out enough corrupted gems for meaningful contact between civilizations to be made, and for enough stability that polities with any real permanence could be established.

It's pretty interesting and I hope the show expands on this more. Empire City might be just that.

You'd think gem monsters would play a much bigger role in human society though. We should see them in art, there'd be religions all about them.

This is really fun stuff to think about but sadly I'm afraid the crewniverse might not have thought about it through.

Can you people please keep this all to one thread please?

Anyway OP, the answer to your questions are "bad writing".

I'm not saying she wouldn't win but I'm pretty sure nobody tried to attack Lapis, aside from the CGs

Tripfags don't listen, don't waste your time

You can filter them though

X-COM WHEN

It was even worse in Gravity Falls but nobody gave a shit about it. Why would SU townies be any different?

I don't know how wide it's actually meant to be, but remember, she kept all sea life alive, swimming in the tower.

I think Word of God says nukes are confined to the past and fiction in this timeline, and WW2 never happened...?

Gravity Falls was at least kind of realistic about it in-universe. The townees all regularly get their memories wiped. Bill's season finale only affected that town. The government straight up did respond to the town's weirdness.

At best in SU you have SU's residents accepting that the three girls living at the temple on the beach are odd, but they didn't interact enough with the other townsfolk enough for that to matter much.

Ah, perception filter!

It's like Invader Zim how all the humans are oblivious, but minus the retardation.

She kinda questioned it when she first saw the mutant

>Alien invasion.

One hand shaped ship came to a beach town, left, then crashed landed back in before exploding. That's not quite the visual of an invasion by aliens.

>Garnet and the other CG recall their influences on American government
>Speak fondly of Ben
>Steven asks "what about JFK?"
>a round of scoffs a 'pfft!'s

Also, would be kind of interesting to imagine a sort of Agent Fowler-like (Transformers: Prime) character.

Also, I bet Washington was Pearl's original Mayor Dewey.

Better: it's a 'Somebody Else's Problem' field.

Cue Journey of the Sorcerer.

>human villains besides the Diamonds
should've worded that better, mang

>This completely breaks my sense of disbelief.

kek

A Forget-Me-Knob, then?

Do you even watch the show? This shit has been going for thousands of years so humans have accepted it as normal. Also the gems clearly have ties with the US government so they probably just let them handle whatever crazy shit starts happening.

giant ship in the sky
no problem

danbooru.donmai.us/posts/655825
Here's some GOOD humor to lighten the mood!

Q: Why couldn't Timmy Turner unwish Garnet when he summoned her to his dimension?
A: Because Garnet is in love with herself, and Cosmo and Wanda can't magic away true love. ;)

>Dammit people, when a giant head appears in the sky, we get a scientist with a snake gun. Now we got a giant hand in the sky and none of you eggheads even have a regular gun!? What am I paying you for?!

I still headcannon that Connie's dad is the Gendo of some secret joint-government organization that's constantly monitoring the CGs.

I accept the memory wiping thing, but the people in GF willingly enforce their own ignorance out of fear and keeping up appearances. Maybe in SU it's the same way.

Matt(I think it was Matt) said that WWII never happened

I don't think they have said anything about nukes though

>But it isn't funny
Oh boo-hoo, go cry in the corner.

>This
So much weird stuff happens all the time it isn't as interesting anymore, like Poodlecorp.

According to Ronaldo's blog, the NSA does still exist in this world.

While I don't like their execution, I get why there isn't much focus on alien paranoia or government intervention. It would derail

He's busy.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pxru_Rd_U5Y&feature=youtu.be

I feel like most situations are covered by the gems having been on earth for at least 5,000 years, and it's normal to humans because of that.

Other times, I really feel like the writers just don't think out the logical consequences of things like lapis lazuli's ocean tower. It's just not a perfect show.

I wouldn't mind an episode or two - maybe one of those episodes that focuses on what the side characters were doing during a past episode. I know autism tropes has a name for those but I can't remember and can't be bothered to look it up.

Like two agents come in and talk to Ronaldo like "We've received your reports of ____ in the area and your information checks out so we decided to investigate." and then at the end they discover it was just the crystal gems, shrug it off, and leave

More than not bing funny though it plays hell with the tone. We have all these enormous events that not only have the potential to affect all life on earth but deep also deeply affect the main cast. But then we get a look at the world around them and nobody fucking cares.

They've been in Beach City sonce before it was Beach City. The residents literally do not see them as anything but normal at this point

>menaces
>reaponsible for all organic life on earth not being destroyed
God, just fucking stop with this shit Sup Forums

>Hell with tone
These gems were on earth for over 5000 years, not only that, but in a war. It could be that the humans in their world integrated with all the weird shit the gems spawn.

>Going monster hunting with Teddy Roosevelt

Like how they went back and focused on Chester and AJ's actions in that one episode of The Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy wished himself popular at school?

I understand that Gems are a part of their history, but gem activity has been greatly reduced over thousands of years, to the point where most people in the present probably haven't even come in contact with a non corrupt gem, so it actually wouldn't be a normal thing to the people. A giant spaceship coming down to earth thousands of years later should have set off some red lights.

Unless we are being purposefully being kept away from government involvement.

>Goverment
Now THAT sounds like a spicy episode.

>the screenshots Misseps will post from Too Short to Ride will spoil the new fusion

Yeah, exactly. And I know there's a Foster's episode like that, too.

Maybe they could go all the way back to Lapis's first appearance, or they could do Jasper and Peridot's ship crashing, have them wrap up their investigation right after Steven gets punched. They see the ship crash and run to investigate, get there just in time to see Steven get hit. They're about to jump in since he's a human, but one of them spots the belly button gem as he gets dragged off so they walk off and chalk it up as another gem infighting incident. As long as humans don't get hurt, they don't care. They could even end it with one of them saying "Forget it Fox. It's Beach City."