What do you think about Bryan Lee O'Malley?

What do you think about Bryan Lee O'Malley?
Do you like his art style?
Do you like his writing?
Is he a pandering fag or a cool guy?

I like him.
Yes.
Yes.
I like him.

What do you think of Seconds? I was thinking of finally picking it up so I read all of the Scott Pilgrim books in preparation.

His art style is good and bad.

Good as in that pioc that you posted (nothing to write home about )

Bad when he does his comic book pages, he relies too much on ''animu'' gimmicks and the detail in his panels is really bad.

Literally most people with ''alternative'' styles, they mostly look good in illustrations but the attention to detail takes a nose dive in the interior art.

His writting? He kind of sucks, like he knows how to tell a story and have multiple characters, but all of them feel like hipsters trying to out cool each other with their snark and they basically have first world problems: ''I have friends, a steady job, I don't live with my parents, have active sex life surrounded by friends that also have an active sex while they understand my likes and dislikes and they like me in general for who I am. So yes, my life fucking sucks!''

Pic related, alternative art style that looks good in illustrations but really bland and mediocre in interior art

>His writting? He kind of sucks, like he knows how to tell a story and have multiple characters, but all of them feel like hipsters trying to out cool each other with their snark and they basically have first world problems: ''I have friends, a steady job, I don't live with my parents, have active sex life surrounded by friends that also have an active sex while they understand my likes and dislikes and they like me in general for who I am. So yes, my life fucking sucks!''
Yeah, that's a big problem with a lot of the current "hip" writers like that. They come off as even more trite versions of the navel-gazing Gen Xers from shit like Reality Bites and Empire Records.

Its baffling to me how much people ignore those things like having characters with problems that matter.

It goes to show you the kind of inmature audience that the guy has

His art is good, his writing is babby's first fanfiction tier.

You could probably ask them their opinion of the movie Orange County and they'd find it very relatable.

It's meant to be an everyman's story, it's not like he was writing a story about child soldiers or the homeless.

I think this is the worst cover of the Pepper Ann theme I've ever seen.

>it's not like he was writing a story about child soldiers or the homeless.
Maybe he should consider writing a story about the homeless. It's not like the streets of downtown Toronto aren't littered with them.

No, American Splendor was about the everyman's story.

Ugly and normal people doing un-sexy things, while O'malley's shit is about cool young people always doing cool shit like having a band, running a restaurant with your group of friends while having sex in the janitors closet from time to time and now his new comic is going to be about a fashion blogger or some shit.

Fuck him, honestly, his stuff is made for people that still have childish and sellfish views on the world

I think Bryan is a gay-ass name.

>Fuck him, honestly, his stuff is made for people that still have childish and sellfish views on the world
but user, so many of those people exist and have disposable cash to dump on inconsequential tripe designed to pander to their shallow pursuit of excess. Why leave that kind of money just lying on the table?

Who cares about the thing making money or not, the point is that it sucks.

Your legacy is your art since that shit stays when you die.

I actually think he's a really underrated writer.

Even the people who like him just think Scott Pilgrim is LE QUIRKY VIDEO GAME REFERENCE xD SUCH CUTE NERD GURL when in actuality it's more of a condemnation of that type of person.

Scott isn't supposed to be a good person. The whole story is told through his perspective, how he views life as a video game in which he's the hero. You could even say that literally everything that happens is just a metaphor for what actually happens; a mundane love story that becomes an exciting action tale when filtered through Scott's mind.

This is why I dislike the movie, it seems to have completely failed to get what seems pretty clear in the comic and plays it totally straight as a regular power fantasy. It's still a good, funny movie, but at the end of the day it's childish and shallow. And of course as everyone knows the video game is fucking excellent, but not because it captures anything about the themes.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about it, but that's the immediate message I got from the book, especially the ending (the difference between the comic and movie endings really highlights it), and from what I can glean of O'Malley's personality from interviews and how he writes in subsequent works (none of which live up to Pilgrim, IMO) I think it was all intentional.

>Fuck him, honestly, his stuff is made for people that still have childish and sellfish views on the world
I don't think he's writing for people like his characters, he's writing for people who want to be like his characters. It's escapism, getting away from your average life to something sexy for a while.

This.
I read the books not exactly expecting a comedy and was pleasantly surprised. I can understand if some people just don't like O'Malley's brand of humor, but theres no questioning that the guy is very good at writing natural dialogue. The banter between friends feels very natural in all of his books.
(pic unrelated, it's just the best girl.)

I'm not sure why, but when I read the Scott Pilgrim series for the first time it gave off a weird feeling of nostalgia. Like these characters are in their mid 20's but remind me of how me and my old friends used to act as teenagers. Some people I guess hate that but I think it's charming in an odd way. O'Malley is a cool guy

>What do you think about Bryan Lee O'Malley?
He's cool.
>Do you like his art style?
Almost all of the time.
>Do you like his writing?
Yeah.
>Is he a pandering fag or a cool guy?
He's both, and there's literally nothing wrong with that.

He's a pandering fag

Yes

No

A cool guy

This user gets it.

He's OK.

When he tries. He wasn't trying on Scott Pilgrim.

When he tries, he wasn't trying on Scott Pilgrim.

Fag, definitely. But not in a bad way.

The problem is that it comes off as the whinings of middle class people who really don't have it all that bad though. It's millennials/late Gen Xers who have never known a real problem in their lives writing about their ennui.

Pretty much this. Scott is a guy who doesn't have to worry about money all the time, he plays an instrument, he's in great physical shape, he's popular with girls and has lots of friends. That already makes him far above average.

This guy knows what's up. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I don't know him personally.

The pic you posted is considerably better than the work he did in early SP.

Aimless 20somethings don't deserve to have stories written about them. He writes about terrible people you don't care about.

I doubt SP was mercenary in any sense. This is not mutually exclusive with being 'cool' or 'uncool.'

When he's interested in writing about the lives of adults (not confused urban kidults) let me know.

> what if Marvel or DC picked him up to helm a legacy character
This hasn't had a stellar track record so far but he's a better writer than the useful idiots the Big Two have tapped recently, so who knows. I know you didn't actually ask this question but it weighs on me when people randomly ask about an indie writer whose last major work was over 5 years ago and whose last movie adaptation was a flaming tire dump at the box office.

This is all comes from high school teachers assigning Catcher in the Rye to kids for whom the issues involved no longer matter. What they take away from it is that you can be successful as a writer if your story is about a well educated non-poor kid in the big city with nothing more than superficial problems, and it created the likes of Bret Easton Ellis, Jay McInerney and several other 80s novelists who in turn informed people like O'Malley.

"I'm not as happy as I *DESERVE* to be" is a terrible fucking premise for anything.

Mediocre. Not great, but not terrible. Maybe he'd be better if he put in the effort to grow as a person but he never does

Is there a reason there have started being a lot of Scott Pilgrim threads lately?

>Maybe he'd be better if he put in the effort to grow as a person

O'Malley's a metrosexual Canadian whose income stream is taken care of and is exposed only to more of the same sort of people, so I wouldn't hold out for any growth here. Try to remember he indirectly created Octopus Pie which mined the same mediocre YA angst.

Until the man develops an incurable disease you're going to get more of the same.

Just in case you're thinking that it's impossible to tell good comic stories about this kind of thing, go find The Great Catsby.

>Even the people who like him just think Scott Pilgrim is LE QUIRKY VIDEO GAME REFERENCE xD SUCH CUTE NERD GURL when in actuality it's more of a condemnation of that type of person.
That's quite clearly the point of Scott Pilgrim, just like the point of Seconds was you can't just undo the past. That doesn't mean he wrote it well-his writing is flimsy and transparent.

>from what I can glean of O'Malley's personality from interviews and how he writes in subsequent works (none of which live up to Pilgrim, IMO) I think it was all intentional.
Bryan Lee O'Malley only has one writing style: self-flagellating. I don't think he's capable of writing a story that isn't about tarring and feathering himself.

>I don't think he's capable of writing a story that isn't about tarring and feathering himself.

It's endemic to the Canadian character. When they aren't apologizing for existing, they're shaming others into doing the same. They're human cancer on the English-speaking population, really.

This. The fact that the characters are portrayed as losers even though they aren't gives the audience a feel of "This could be me. I just need to try harder to be cool".
The imperfections make the audience see the characters as people they know or might now, instead of being perfect idealizations that they will never achieve. O'Malley make these cool people tangleable.

>but all of them feel like hipsters trying to out cool each other with their snark and they basically have first world problems: ''I have friends, a steady job, I don't live with my parents, have active sex life surrounded by friends that also have an active sex while they understand my likes and dislikes and they like me in general for who I am. So yes, my life fucking sucks!''

Its because young adults actually talk like that, hell, Sup Forums is trying to out cool each other with snark remarks all the time, the usual elitism of the site that is in every board culture.

Also, I don't see a problem with him wanting to writte about first world problems. He writte stories that people can identify with, and not every story need to be world shatering polĂ­tical comentary, he makes good slice of life.

I liked orange County but I didn't find it relatable .

hipster faggot.

With that said his comics are okay, but VASTLY overrated.

Nigga, people here are just ironically acting like snob hipsters.

heard he's a millionaire. or just made millions

I didn't intend for this to be a Scott Pilgrim thread, more of just a Bryan Lee O'Malley Thread. I guess no one gives a shit about any of his other work..

What would you recomend?

the only two things he's really known for are Scott Pilgrim and Seconds

pandering shit heel who just draws in a slightly better style than Whomp and is moer successful for it

it's okay, i've seen worse

fuck no, it's pathetic trash
appeals to spineless fucks who dream of tropes like "manic pixie dream girl" and "main character of very little redeeming qualities is still someone fancied by others

his protagonists don't DO anything, they just sit there and have situations that are conveniently simple for them to solve fall into their laps

pandering faggot who will still manage to be financially successful because of his pathetic cult following

gives me hope because i wish to be a shithead like him and have people throw money at me too for doing nothing but pandering

Fuck you, eh?

Not even Canadian, but this is just rude lol.

Well sure, same. I liked it when I was in teenager but I in no way find a mopey, rich teenager whining because he can't get into Stanford to write his great novel relatable.

I had such a huge crush on Schuyler Fisk though, goddamn was she qt as fuck in that movie

A lot of people here seem to be unnable to comprehend what is slice of life.

o'malley's fine but his stories can be pretty samey

i also detest how chibi his designs can get

Sup Forums likes things and people start threads

people forget that there used to be fucking scott pilgrim storytimes and bullshit constantly

slice of life stuff is always going to be very polarizing

it has to represent a very specific generation/experience and if it doesn't resonate with you it just seems weird and stupid

>A lot of people here seem to be unnable to comprehend what is slice of life.

turns out not everyone is a privileged upper middle class white kid in college with an apartment, well paying job, an active sex life, indie band, and a magical dream girl who rollerskates through dreams and for some inexplicable reason goes out and dates a futureless and homeless kid with a surprisingly inexhaustable bank account

i wonder why there are people who aren't able to relate to that kind of shit

Slice of Life doesn't mean a slice of your relatable life, idiot.
Fucking google it before you rattle off.

What did Ramona mean by this?

You look jelly.

But to be honest none of the characters follow this.

>Maybe he'd be better if he put in the effort to grow as a person but he never does
>Signed: user on Comics & Cartoons, Sup Forums

that's a bitch and Young Neil was too good for this world

>his subtle breakdown over knives

perfection

Lost at sea help me so much with my depression back when I was 17. Reading that book probably stopped me from jumping off a bridge.

Ohhh, she bumped him cause he was grabbing that Knives look alike's asian ass.
I get it now...
Ramona is kind of a bitch depending on how old that asian is.

No one ever remembers Lost at Sea. It's probably my favorite thing that he's written.

>i wonder why there are people who aren't able to relate to that kind of shit
most of those people are broke and don't matter.
don't you read the news?

Ironically, the same happened with me.

Something about this comic makes you want to go out and open to people.

Storytime?

He's cool.
Yes, it's appealing and simple but can still be expressive and dynamic.
As a writer he's average at best. Nothing groundbreaking but nothing awful either.
Cool guy. At the very his comics don't come off to me as very pandering, which is all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Storytime.

Ripped Off Revolutionary Girl Utena out of ten.

when I first read Scott Pilgrim I got the vibe that I was supposed to think of Scott as a loser but he had all the things I wanted in my life (sex, friends with similar interests, freedom). I concluded that true loserdom is basically never seen in art; its either loser-chic like SP or absolutely destitute homeless on the street level.

I detest his art style and can't make it past that to read any of his stories. I'll be giving Snotgirl a try when someone inevitably storytimes the first issue and see if his writing is palatable when drawn by someone else, though I am dubious on even that.

Scott is a loser in the sense that everything that he got going for him was his looks (the only reason that he got most of the girls), and everyone even if were his friends, thought that he was a manchild that needed to do something with his life.

Along the story he got shitted on, almost became homeless and needed to find a job to finally grown up.

In a way he is a loser, for not having anything else going on his life, apart from teenage hobbies, and friends, while every other character seems to be going to somewhere.

He's a disgusting faggot coasting on hipster cred who can't draw

It just has to be good, simple as that. Slice of life is going to be carried by the characters and the way they play off of each other to create entertaining situations and capture a level of comfy. That's why a show like Azumanga Daioh or a manga like Yotsuba&! works (since Azuma is very good at it) and why O'Malley's stuff doesn't (since he makes unlikable hipsters whose situations come off as pointless whining).

>and why O'Malley's stuff doesn't

Thats really a point of personal opinion though, as evidenced by the large number of people who seem to like his work.

>and why O'Malley's stuff doesn't (since he makes unlikable hipsters

Millions of people think that it is comfy, hell, more people than the examples that you mentioned. What is your argument that it isn't besides your subjective opinion?

I actually picked this up before reading SP, and when I saw SP coming out I recognized his name and art style and bought the first book. Pretty good.

>Ohhh, she bumped him cause he was grabbing that Knives look alike's asian ass.
She's still kind of a bitch seeing as asian girl didn't seem to mind it at all.

Ramona has always been bitchy, but young Neil is all butthurt at this point because no one is hanging out with him and he's trying to bury his feelings about Knives using him inside other nubile Asian teens.

you realize that some people think Azumanga Daioh is garbage because they don't relate to it or give a shit about the characters

almost as though it's subjective or something

They are wrong.