*Literally blocks your path*

*Literally blocks your path*

What was the point of this scene? If there was any, that's it.

I see it as sort of a physical representation of the negative energy that comes from not recycling. You'll notice that in the diner, their food just disappears and the camera lingers on their missing food. Where did this food go? It went to Boga, the food spirit. Boga is messy and dirty because the two gentlemen didn't compost, or recycle their plastics or paper. Boga lies in the mind of Rita, dormant in Rita's mind in a deeper dream state, which is unraveled from her upper dream state's car crash.

Lynch breaking boundaries always desu

It's meant to scare you.

>nutted but he still suckin

Reminder that literally anything you think about on a regular basis can be projected onto anything you experience.

so what's the point of art

Lynch uses this to represent unspeakable horror. Like garmonbozia isn't really cream corn. Think of like Lovecraftian horror. It's something so unspeakable you litterally just die from the shock. Even hearing them speak makes you go insane or die. See: Latest Twin Peaks

Lynch is the greatest lovecraftian director ever and no one even knows it

he bum is either the embodiment of the fears and guilty conscience of Diane because she hired a hitman to kill Camilla or he's basically Diane herself as she sees herself as this miserable horrible monster again because of her conscience.

*dies*

To explain to the viewer that the narrative is currently taking place inside of the main character's dream. The creature is her perception of herself.

It's the death of the hollywood dream

He represents the gutter, the absolute lowest and dirtiest there is

Diane is a struggling movie star trying to cling on to fame and it represents her innermost fears. "I hope to never see that face outside of this dream"

I read somewhere that the whole series of events was a prelude to what would have been a TV series of Mulholland Drive, with the movie serving as a set up for the show, but it didn't get the green light so Lynch had to create a full-length movie that closed all the story lines instead of leaving them open for the show to explain. It's why there were so many pointless scenes at the start of the movie.

The bum was going to be a plot line in the show, but it had to turn into some "open to interpretation" shit.

This hobgoblin of a woman is a representation of the protagonist's inner turmoil built up from years of leading a bland existence. He's coming to a realization that he's wasted his life. The diner is an allegory for the routine he suffers. He's dreamt of that scenario in the diner before and he'll experience it again. It's a hell he cannot escape and the anxiety of it builds up to the point where his psyche forces him to confront it. For a man who has experienced so little in life, the sudden confrontation he endures over excites him and traumatizes his psyche indefinitely.

It's the opposite.

The movie is the pilot + a few episodes chopped up and put together. This is the reason there's a lot of seemingly unresolved plot threads. Once his pilot was rejected, he pieced together what he had left + filmed extra scenes to make it complete.

This is the only movie that has ever captured perfectly an experience I had once in a nightmare.
I was in a dark house at night, only the light of the moon coming in through the windows, and it was just me and my girlfriend there. Nothing eventful is happening, then I start walking to go down into the basement. I get to the door at the top of the basement stairs, which is closed. I open the door, and there on the other side is a broom suspended in mid air. It's only in the air for a split second, as soon as I lay my eyes on it it falls to the ground, and I am immediately overcome with an intense rush of panic and terror, so bad that I am unable to breathe, and everything goes silent as I try to scream but no sound comes out. The terror is so intense that I become paralyzed, collapse to the ground, and everything fades to black and I continue silently screaming. Then I wake up.

In the dream, I knew that the broom signified something absolutely horrifying, which is why I had that reaction when I saw it.

Seeing this scene in Mulholland Drive, it captures almost perfectly the feeling of my nightmare. You see something slightly weird but it causes you unbelievable terror, so bad that you becomes paralyzed with fear and pass out screaming.

That scene is a fucking masterpiece.

LOL

best sex scene ever?

Got a light ?

What is this from?

Mulholland Drive, you pleb

Thanks!

Oh OK I knew it was something like that.

You're welcome

The Winkie's scene wasn't in the original pilot. He filmed it specifically for the movie. There was another bum scene at the end of the pilot, right after Rita puts the blonde wig with Betty in the bathroom, we again pass the corner behind Winkie's and camera zooms in on the bum's face and that was the end, roll credits. But that different take was used very briefly at the end of the movie right after Diane kills herself.