What do you think should be done in order to make the X-Men series interesting again?

What do you think should be done in order to make the X-Men series interesting again?

I think they need to get away from the whole analog for oppressed minority angle that they've used since the series inception and do something completely different. Have them all exiled to another dimension or deep space or some shit and not have to deal with fighting to protect mutants from extinction mainly because their are no humans around so they just have to look out for themselves.

Of course this would never be approved by editorial or the hardcore fanbase because why try new things when you can recycle the same stories for another 50 years?

They should let bigots decide what they can and can't write.

I want to see them just leave the planet for good and become space nomads. Like, after all this time, clearly Chuck's dream is a hot Ziploc of puke. Just go take care of each other where you'll be appreciated.

>I've never read X-Men before, I don't know why people like it: The Post

>Exile them to another dimension
Nah fuck that, just let X-men evolve past the oppressed minority repeating the same plot lines.

The time when the X-Men were the best was the 80's.

Also when they had that whole sci-fi retro futuristic 80's feel to it, that was cool too.

Get a good writer on the main book. That's literally all they need to do. Back when Morrison took over he reinvented tons of shit, added new things and concluded long standing elements of the mythos. As a result New X-Men was great. Then Whedon took over and Astonishing and wrote a straightforward superhero story where the X-Men fought an alien race on a distant planet. Both runs are fantastic and take different approaches, the key isn't a premise, any hack can ruin a good premise, but a good writer with respect for the character's and their history who can actually write a fucking team book. Why has Marvel been giving the X-Men to writers notorious for their lackluster team books?

As for writers I'd like to see take on the X-Men Ewing would be a good fit. The X-Men has tons of material for him to do continuity wank and he has demonstrated proficiency with a variety of team book styles

You sure as fuck don't like them because muh minority metaphor. You like them because of cartoon, waifus and fancy powers.

Make it seem really logical to hate someone for being different and then try to make it a book that smaller children would like.

More space adventures and less WAAAAAAH PEOPLE ARE JERKS BECAUSE THEY FEAR THAT WE CAN TURN THEM INTO SALT BY FARTING!

The dream wasn't a goal it was a simple motivation to explain why they're the good guys.

>I think they need to get away from the whole analog for oppressed minority angle that they've used since the series inception and do something completely different.

Grant Morrison did this and it was immediately reversed as soon as he was off the title.

>Send the O5 back
>Stop trying to make Cyclops a villain and stop having everyone in the universe treat him like Hitler
>Stop the Cyclops/Wolverine hate feud (it's one thing to be at odds with each but they don't need to hate each other)
>get rid of the shitty inhuman mist that's killing mutants
>make or use good villains
>more Spidey crossovers

>Grant Morrison did this

No he didn't you faggot that can't even be bothered to read the shit pushed out by the hack you fellate

Bring it back to the original 5

make them teenagers and make a teen titans go cartoon version of them

You can't fix 616 X-men. M-day wounded the franchise more deeply than most people realize. M-day means that characters like Gambit and the Hellfire club will never again be created. Characters that are experienced users of their powers living in contemporary society in some fashion. Instead we'll get a flood of shitty X-kids that no one cares about, some time travelers and maybe some characters that were in stasis during Decimation.

Good writers
Good artits
Streamline things
One main team and one book to rotate between X-Factor/Force/Calibur or New Mutants

This should've happened back when ANAD started, but it's about time mutants and human got a little bit further in interspecies relations.

Make two steps towards Xavier's dream. Have people get used to walking on the same sidewalk as mutants. Then have groups like Trask's kin or the purifiers try to stop the movement through violent acts and viral videos, reminding people that mutants are threats to the human race.

It'd be a helluva lot more relevant to current events than CWII.

But that already happened, Bendis

A good writer and some solid storylines that involves a meaningful conflict, Meaning a story that doesn't have Cyclops and Wolverine measuring each other dicks and fighting over Jean Grey.

Have an interest in writing them and not handicapping them.

It's got nothing to do with the concept, moron. That was perfectly fine for decades.

There's just no interest in Marvel to really let them prosper.

That, and fuck M-Day

X-men were never interesting.

only standalone comics

>no humans so they can look out for themselves

that defeats the plot of mutancy being an oppressed minority, user. it's self defeating.

>make the X-Men series interesting again

brink back Dark Beast and/or start a series that goes through Dark Beast and Emma's past with the Morlocks, include Morbius and any other characters that were underground or couldn't be a part of society

616 beast should go to mojo world and and explore why he could do concussive blasts like that one time he went there with cannonball and a vietnamese mutant i've never heard of (Beast #1-3). he should take a break from the x-men and do his own thing for a while.

Psylocke should get her own comic, featuring HYDRA (villain), Daredevil, Beast, Spiral (villain), Shadow King (villain), Mystique, Dr. Strange, Dracula (villain), Sinister, Purifiers, Jubilee, Illyana and Nightcrawler. any psionic characters would be a good addition, like Cable, X-Man, or badasses like Bishop or his sister Shard and perhaps Gateway

if you want to do stuff with deep space, involve Galactus's herald Stardust, Anihilus cronies, Thanos, the Shiar and a war between Phalanx and the Brood

most importantly, mutants should be pairing off and having mutant kids. Marvel has not depicted this for the most part. once parents' children is in danger, they'll be more radicalized and conflicts will be avoided, but when they happen, will escalate quickly.

this

I think X-Men could use a back to basics approach. Limit the property to one title and have a rotating cast of characters (ER style). The characters that stick around could be teachers at the school or popular characters. Do what Claremont did for the title but with fresh talent and in a modern context.

just drop the Extinction bullshit they've pushed on them for more than a decade.

The amount of ways that alone has crippled the franchise is unbelievable.

Personally I want the X-Men to exist in a different universe free from a lot of the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Put them there, make Mutancy a big social issue, have non-mutant heroes sharing the universe like Captain Marvel and The FF -- Basically, a universe where The Avengers didn't exist, Stark was killed, Cap died in the ice, Pym and Wasp didn't become heroes. Have Hulk be Joe Fixit and a more grey-based character (pardon the pun) between heroism and villainy.

That way characters like Magneto and Apocalypse can be more global/universal threats.

But that's just me, it'd probably never work.

>cure m-pox already. leave it around as an anti0-mutant silver bullet, but now the effects are reversible so long as they survive
>since they wanna be a country so bad, have them start earning it by setting up industry and trade routes so that people can no longer just nuke their current hideaway without pissing off anyone important
>turn the 'teen jean is evil' thing from subtext to text
>Scott and real Jean come back, don't tell anyone, just occasionally show up to give a bit of weird advice and then vanish, making everyone question their sanity while the pair of them spend a year or so just watching how things unfold.

Utopia was a good concept, as a revamped take on Genosha. Too bad nobody actually did anything with it.
>Instead of fighting for the acceptance of their fellow man, fight for a sovereign nation status at the UN, which is a goal you can actually accomplish, though not without some hassle.
>And even with their seat in the UN, they can still fight for acceptance
>Meanwhile, create infighting on the island, multiple factions - some trying to become heard, some trying to topple X-Men's top dog status
>deal with dwindling resources because they decided to proclaim independence from their only neighbor and live on a barren rock

Retro future sci-fi is probably my favorite, stuff like Flash Gordon and John Carter with more fantasy elements than pure science fiction. While I like hard sci-fi, it kind of all just blends together sometimes

Nobody did anything like that? What the hell did they write about?

you might like Dreadstar then

I like it because it's edgy.

>Both runs are fantastic
lel

>>turn the 'teen jean is evil' thing from subtext to text
Have Hope supremely btfo her

Bring back Nate.

Publish a Summers/Grey superfriends book.

Make Rachel happy.

>realistic socio-political problems are an overdone trope

oh look, the same problems that other capeshits have, just not propagandistic/iconic bullshit from the 1930s and 1940s like captain cheesmerica or supermook that is an anachronism.

Its pretty simple, the consistent problem with X-men is that they can't differentiate between their books.
People want different things, so when you have six different X books, but every one of them is just a different team that deal with oppression and fight racists and evil mutants is boring.

Split the books up. You can have your opressed minority book, put Storm or Cyclops in charge, even rotate the cast. This is the core story book.
Second, teen mutant book, pretty straight forward, something fun and casual. This one focuses on the school, and the younger cast. Older X-men are secondary.
Third, space/mystic book, could be two books. Mixed team to deal with cosmic and magic threats.
Fourth, mutant community book, one that tells the story of every day mutants, 1 or 2 X-men main characters, the rest are non-members.

Good writers

That's basically it

It's not like the X-Men have been super terrible for long. Morrison, Whedon, Yost, Aaron (in spurts), Remender, Giellen, they all did a decent-to-great job.

It'd also require Marvel to drop it's mandated beef against the X-Men but that's probably beyond editorial's control

>tfw somehow actually liked Fraction's run.
I thought Brubaker was good too.
Actually, what's the 'consensus' on Brubaker's X-Men?

Explain what's bad about Morrison or Whedon's X-Men.

Morrison's relied too much on tired iconoclastic tendencies, and (obviously this is just my opinion) he really didn't play around with the themes and concepts he "introduced" sufficiently to make it one-of-da-greats. The art was really nothing to write home over either. I will say I like the groundwork he laid for other authors.

Whedon's was just really boring, which is better than bad I suppose. It felt very safe, but the art (and don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Cassaday) really didn't help play up the /classic/ vibe Whedon seemed to be going for.
I will admit, I did like the final arc with the bullet, but that's about it.
I don't even dislike Whedon either, I just don't consider those runs "fantastic"

Does Hope and Nate even exist in the new continuity anymore?

Only as a literal meme, and a depowered Vulcan

#MutantLivesMatter vs #AllLivesMatter

Explore current identity politics through the X-men. That would open up a lot of doors.

i just want a new animated series, but please keep wolverine just at background or a lesser character, and put the godamn cyclop as a relevant leader.

And Sup Forums would hate it and label it shit because the line between Sup Forums and Sup Forums is virtually non-existent these days

Make mutants have interesting powers again.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has been a better X-men comic in the last decade than any of the X-books.

When Bendis had new mutants emerge, what powers did he give them? Time control and healing? Ooooooh crazy imaginative that Bendis.