Is the immature and socially deficient man child stereotype a product of the comic books industry or does the industry...

Is the immature and socially deficient man child stereotype a product of the comic books industry or does the industry just cater to these people? Is it a problem with comics or escapism as a whole?

Other urls found in this thread:

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick#Paranormal_experiences_and_mental_health_issues
criticalmuslim.io/the-dark-side-of-the-arabian-nights/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complaint_tablet_to_Ea-nasir
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is a surprisingly loaded question

yeah

Whether indirectly or otherwise the industry caters to them. There's no problem with escapism itself (everything in moderation) - a combination of problems related to upbringing, undiagnosed mental health issues and too much free time/money to burn lead to your standard barely functioning obsessive, regardless of fandom.

Product of the comic books industry.

Actually, the only problem comics have these days is not catering to them. They try to cater to millennial white knights and shit, turn characters into sluts and when these same white knights call them out on character becoming a slut, nerds are to blame.

>turn characters into sluts and when these same white knights call them out on character becoming a slut, nerds are to blame.

You can just come out and say you don't get laid often enough user.

This is a good explanation, but can, intended or not, apply to a lot of purportedly niche, compulsive behaviors in any number of fandoms.

>Is the immature and socially deficient man child stereotype Tim Drake.. hahahahaha

People like this always existed. Look at the incredibly hardcore fans of anything and you'll see some people the gene pool would probably be better without.

Anyone who's entire identity revolves around their hobby is the same way, from Sports to Anime to Comics to Stamp Collectors.

Comic books catering to socially retarded manchildren isn't any better or worse than comic books catering to bitchy feminists or SJW's.

>People like this always existed.
Man I always wonder what nerds in ancient Greece and other ancient cultures were like.

>it's a "op still thinks that bait threads work" episode

Mostly a product of the industry. It's far easier to write up a stereotype than it is a well-rounded character. Hell, I don't recall the last time I've ever seen a tabletop roleplayer portrayed as anything other than an obsessive basement dweller, yet most of the people I game with are married/in a relationship and have healthy social lives.

Mostly it's just lazy writing.

What's wrong with escapism?

The shitposts from pompeii imply, yes.

Oh god somebody post them. They're magical.

I get laid never. However, I wasn't blaming women for anything and current Harley is awful. Here, I'd like to see you defend current Harley.

I need a comic of Gaius and Aulus, roaming the countryside, having hilarious, drunken misadventures, leaving their mark on every bar they come across.

Well, Sup Forums still thinks bait threads are a thing instead of just using them to talk about whatever the fuck they want and have fun with random ideas, so they *kinda* do.

But seriously. Where's that one about the dude eating chicks out against the city wall? Shit's mad cash.

I'd read it.

How come women can use the excuse of liking nerd culture to appear quirky and unique but the minute men show interest in it we're labeled as manchildren?

>I get laid never
So only permavirgins dislike modern HQ. Nice to know.

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

What's more surprising is that people are actually responding to it. I don't think it would even be possible to make it more biased, but let's give it a shot.

>Is the misogynistic, immature, and socially deficient man child stereotype a result of the comic books industry or does the industry just cater to these people? Is it a problem with comics or herbivore men-driven escapism as a whole? When did comics stop being a socially acceptable form of entertainment?

What do you think? Too much? I think it pushes a few more buttons than the original, but if the bait's too big, the fish won't bite. Any suggestions on how to improve?

Real men aren't into those things, sonny.

Like this.

>.10.2-3 (Bar of Prima); 8258, 8259: The story of Successus, Severus and Iris is played out on the walls of a bar: [Severus]: “Successus, a weaver, loves the innkeeper’s slave girl named Iris. She, however, does not love him. Still, he begs her to have pity on him. His rival wrote this. Goodbye.”. [Answer by Successus]: “Envious one, why do you get in the way. Submit to a handsomer man and one who is being treated very wrongly and good looking.” [Answer by Severus]: “I have spoken. I have written all there is to say. You love Iris, but she does not love you.”

>II.3.10 (Pottery Shop or Bar of Nicanor; right of the door); 10070: Lesbianus, you defecate and you write, ‘Hello, everyone!’

>III.5.1 (House of Pascius Hermes; left of the door); 7716: To the one defecating here. Beware of the curse. If you look down on this curse, may you have an angry Jupiter for an enemy.

>VI.14.36 (Bar of Salvius); 3494: In one bar, a picture depicts two men playing dice. One shouts, “Six!” while his opponent holds up two fingers and says, “No, that’s not a ‘three’; it’s a ‘two’”. By the door of the bar, another picture shows a short man driving a group of men out. Above his head are the words, “Go on, get out of here! You have been fighting!”

>VI.16.15 (atrium of the House of Pinarius); 6842: If anyone does not believe in Venus, they should gaze at my girl friend

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1824: Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?

In both cases they have to be attractive

>I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

>Herculaneum (on a water distribution tower); 10488: Anyone who wants to defecate in this place is advised to move along. If you act contrary to this warning, you will have to pay a penalty. Children must pay [number missing] silver coins. Slaves will be beaten on their behinds.
This was really common, huh?

Gibbon was wrong. The Empire was always this decadent.

>VIII.7.6 (Inn of the Muledrivers; left of the door); 4957: We have wet the bed, host. I confess we have done wrong. If you want to know why, there was no chamber pot
And you slept in your own piss all night?
Manly.

There's like one dude mentioned three or four times as just shitting wherever he pleased.

The Pompeii graffiti may just be the single greatest historical treasure ever unearthed. I don't know of anything else that so perfectly conveys how people have never really changed.

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1816: Epaphra, you are bald!

DAMN SON

There's an Assyrian clay tablet that's a thousand years older than Pompeii that says the world must be coming to an end because the young no longer respect their elders.

The Assyrians were cruel as fuck.

Hey they may have flayed people alive, but they also invented the post office.

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1880: Lucius Istacidius, I regard as a stranger anyone who doesn’t invite me to dinner.

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1880: The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian.

This "argument". Were you touched as a child?

It's just capeshit fans (immature and socially deficient man children). If a wider variety of comics were openly available and the general public were more educated about comics this stereotype would be about as relevent as book, movie or music nerds. Yes, the industry caters to these cancerous manchildren almost exclusively.

I don't understand your addition of "herbivore men-driven" to the question.

CRUEL AS FUCK

>Your shitposting will never live in time immemorial.

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1824: Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?

>robots always existed

Anyone else find this depressing as fuck? What did robots even do back then?

>I.2.23 (peristyle of the Tavern of Verecundus); 3951: Restitutus says: “Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates”.

Straight up, did this dude ask his sister for "CUNT OR GTFO"?

>II.3.10 (Pottery Shop or Bar of Nicanor; right of the door); 10070: Lesbianus, you defecate and you write, ‘Hello, everyone!’

Feminism!

>II.7 (gladiator barracks); 8792: On April 19th, I made bread

Was it good bread? How did the bread taste? Come on, user, let us know! I'm curi-- oh. Shit. He's a corpse.

>III.5.3 (on the wall in the street); 8898: Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog

This was literally gayer than railing another man up the ass in the town square.

>VII.6.35 (Brothel of Venus; on the Vico dei Soprastanti opposite the Vicolo del Gallo); 1645: May Love burn in some lonely mountains whoever wants to rape my girl friend!

I'm... actually not sure if this dude's asking to be cucked, or if this is how Romans broke up with one another.

>VII.2.44 (Bar of Hedone (or Colepius) on the Street of the Augustales; on the corner toward the lupinare); 1679: Hedone says, “You can get a drink here for only one coin. You can drink better wine for two coins. You can drink Falernian for four coins.”

...Fucking savage. Absolutely barbaric.

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1820: Chie, I hope your hemorrhoids rub together so much that they hurt worse than when they every have before!

Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen that used on Sup Forums as an insult.

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1882: The one who buggers a fire burns his penis

I should probably stop posting on Sup Forums, then.

...Yeah. Nothing has changed. Not a damn thing. Phillip K Dick was right.

>mfw no qt Gaulish slave girl

>Is the immature and socially deficient man child stereotype a product of the comic books industry
No, it's a product of doting parenting and gentrification.

>Nothing has changed
We're gonna build a wall, it's gonna be huge, we're gonna make the Picts pay for it!

They went postal, all right.

Alcoholism until lead poisoning changed their personality enough for them to get into violent confrontations which caused them to die unremarkably or gain loot & bitches.

>Phillip K Dick was right.
What did he say?

Also anyone else find this as well depressing? Fucking NOTHING has changed. It's all the same shit.

>Nothing has changed. Not a damn thing
Indeed. Poor Ovid; his fans didn't understand his book at all.

MURUM AEDIFICARE

>This was literally gayer than railing another man up the ass in the town square.
And yet he's clearly Alpha as fuck about it.

What would you expect to change? Our brains are a product of evolution. Evolution is slow. Just because we've got cool shit doesn't mean we evolve any quicker. Our brains are built for the same shit we did before we figured out how to farm.
Post Antinous!

Basically, he thought pink lasers gave him the supernatural powers to see through the gnostic illusion we were all living in, and that America was the Roman Empire.

No, really, I'm not making this crap up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick#Paranormal_experiences_and_mental_health_issues

Based on your reactions you are severely lacking in the reading comprehension department.

BREXITUS

The beginning of his most mainstream fantastique, and ironically (or not) his most profitable ones.

>The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
Ancient Greek for "Don't stick your dick in crazy."

And yet, way more applicable to way more situations than just sex. It's beautiful.

>Our brains are built for the same shit we did before we figured out how to farm.
That's just depressing.

Just seems to me that despite all of our attempts to change the way people think, our attempts to change humanity for the better, to treat each other with respect, promote self-love and respect, and accepting of other peoples', have all been entirely in vain. We're always going to be the same, aren't we?

There were also those sling stones they found that had shit like "Catch!" carved into them.

I don't see how reading comics to "get away from the world outside" is any different than watching movies, tv, playing video games, reading a book or even partaking in drugs or alcohal. Life sucks and more often than not, people have problems coping with that

>That's just depressing
How is it depressing that we managed to create modern civilization and the very computer you're on right now with brains built to avoid lions and acquire delicious caterpillars to feed ourselves with?
>We're always going to be the same, aren't we?
Go read "The Better Angels of Our Nature". It will cheer you up.

No but reading comics makes you a NEEERD!

Ancient shitposting. I'm really surprised by how similar these are to some of the posts saw here on Sup Forums

OH FUCK

THIS JUST REMINDED ME OF SOMETHING

criticalmuslim.io/the-dark-side-of-the-arabian-nights/

READ THIS SHIT. It's essentially about racism in 1,001 Arabian Nights that is essentially the exact same kind of shit you read on this very site. Stories of people getting cuckolded by big, scary black men and such.

I remember trying to read 1001 Nights, having a guy beat his wife to death, it being presented as something positive and then me closing the book.

Excerpts from the article:

>The prince relates how he used to rule over the Black Islands and believed that he was happily married, but eavesdropping on his wife’s slave-girls he learned that he was being cuckolded: every night his wife had been giving him a sleeping draught before going out to visit her lover. So the following night the prince pretended to take the sleeping draught and feigned sleep before following his wife out of the palace. When she entered a hut he climbed on the roof to spy on her. She went up to a black slave. ‘One of his lips looked like a pot lid and the other like the sole of a shoe – a lip that could pick up sand from the top of a pebble. The slave was lying on cane stalks; he was leprous and covered in rags and tatters. As my wife kissed the ground before him, he raised his head and said: “Damn you, why have you been so slow? My black cousins were here drinking and each left with a girl, but because of you I didn’t want to drink.” The prince watched his wife humble herself before the slave and cook for him, but when he saw her undress and get in the bed of rags and tatters with the black slave, he lost control of himself and, descending from the roof, he unsheathed his sword and struck at the neck of the slave with what he hoped was a fatal blow before slipping away. When his wife, a sorceress, eventually discovered it was he who had come close to killing her beloved, she cast the spell upon him that turned his lower half into stone.

>There is no need here to follow this story any further. ‘The semi-petrified prince’ is a tale told by Shahrazad to King Shahriyar as she tells stories night after night with the aim of prolonging her life. King Shahriyar had previously resolved to sleep with a virgin every night and then have her killed the following dawn. He had resolved on this brutal measure after learning from his brother Shah Zaman that he had been the victim of sexual betrayal by his beautiful wife. ‘“Mas‘ud,” the queen called, at which a black slave came up to her and, after they had embraced each other, he lay with her, while the other slaves lay with the slave girls and they spent their time kissing, embracing, fornicating and drinking wine until the end of the day’. Shahriyar has the wife and all her slaves executed.

>So a story of sexual betrayal, a fantasy of a black man secretly pleasuring a queen, provides the pretext for the long sequence of framed tales that follow concerning magic, romance, revenge, travels to distant lands, holiness, and more sexual betrayals. Daniel Beaumont, one of the few critics of the Nights to focus on the originating frame story’s implicit taboo against black men sleeping with white women has this to say: ‘The racism involved is unmistakable. The scandal is clearly worsened by the fact of the slave’s blackness. The view that slavery was a divine punishment imposed on blacks was known in medieval Islam’. Beaumont goes on to cite the tenth-century historian and belletrist al-Mas‘udi’s account of how Noah was alleged to have cursed his son Ham and called on God to make Ham ugly and black, and to make Ham’s son a slave to the son of Shem.

>The sexual threat posed by black men, as well as the disparagement of their looks and intelligence, features in a significant number of the stories of the Nights, including ‘King ‘Umar ibn al-Nu’man and his family’, ‘Judar and his brothers’, ‘Gharib and Ajib’ and ‘Sayf al-Muluk’. The innocence of pre-modern fantasy is precisely a fantasy. The stories reveal racist prejudices not only regarding blacks, but also with respect to Jews, Persians and Europeans. Moreover, racism is not the only issue, for the stories also provide many instances of sexist and misogynistic assumptions, as well as a taste for Schadenfreude and the heartless mockery of cripples.

>Go read "The Better Angels of Our Nature". It will cheer you up.
I'll put it on my reading list, thanks man.

>I remember trying to read 1001 Nights, having a guy beat his wife to death, it being presented as something positive and then me closing the book.
Well yeah. I think our psyches have largely remained the same but values and morals have certainly changed throughout history and across different cultures.

And there you have it. People have literally always been insecure over black men stealing their women. All this cuckold and BLACKED shitposting is literally nothing new.

YOu have grown up with the Disney versions all right.

I think the "being cucked by blacks" started back when Cro Magnon came from the South to Europe and took all the women and mammoths from the Neanderthals. Everyone who lives outside of Africa has 5% Neandethal DNA.
Apart from Disney's Aladdin, I know nothing about 1001 Nights stories, and quite frankly I don't care.

>missing the Sergio Toppi adaptation
No wonder people laugh at you for reading capes.

This is the best I can do fampai.

Oh god...

I looked in my folders if I had something similar, but I only have a whole year of Watchmen discussions that took place in 1987.

>I think the "being cucked by blacks" started back when Cro Magnon came from the South to Europe and took all the women and mammoths from the Neanderthals. Everyone who lives outside of Africa has 5% Neandethal DNA.
Maybe you're on to something.

>Apart from Disney's Aladdin, I know nothing about 1001 Nights stories, and quite frankly I don't care.
I think one day, I'm really going to sit down and read through those stories. They seem pretty important. I think it has one of the first murder mysteries ever written or something like that.

>This is the best I can do fampai.
Oh fuck, any more? Got a link to these? I LOVE this kind of shit. I remember these too btw.

Post those as well.

quick silver and quick silver where in the same cape movie

There's no shitposting, sorry.

Alibaba and the 40 thieves is actually pretty good, though that just might be because "clever servant" is one of my favorite archetypes.

Aladdin is complete trash though. It reads like one of those fucking Japanese web novels with the long, overly descriptive names where the protagonist just gets handed tons of shit. Just pages and pages of Aladdin using genies to easily solve his problems or inexplicably forgetting he has genies wherever there needs to be tension.

>"Gee, Aladdin; how come your storyteller lets you have TWO genies?"

Wait, how was this done? There were internet forums in 89'?

>I don't have any argument do I'll just call you a nerd lol

Sums up what's partially wrong with society nowadays

Yeah, no one wants to admit you're always right...

I really enjoyed Sinbad. Really I'm just looking for a decent digital copy, the misogyny, racism, are not something to get me all hot and bothered.

>There's no shitposting, sorry.
I honestly don't care. Post that shit.

And then there's this thing from FOUR THOUSAND YEARS AGO

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complaint_tablet_to_Ea-nasir

Probably Usenet, judging by appearances. That said, IRC was way fucking wilder.

Ezekiel 23
Two Adulterous Sisters
23 The word of the Lord came to me:
2 “Son of man, there were two women, daughters of the same mother. 3 They became prostitutes in Egypt, engaging in prostitution from their youth. In that land their breasts were fondled and their virgin bosoms caressed.
4 The older was named Oholah, and her sister was Oholibah. They were mine and gave birth to sons and daughters. Oholah is Samaria, and Oholibah is Jerusalem.
5 “Oholah engaged in prostitution while she was still mine; and she lusted after her lovers, the Assyrians—warriors
6 clothed in blue, governors and commanders, all of them handsome young men, and mounted horsemen.
7 She gave herself as a prostitute to all the elite of the Assyrians and defiled herself with all the idols of everyone she lusted after.
8 She did not give up the prostitution she began in Egypt, when during her youth men slept with her, caressed her virgin bosom and poured out their lust on her.

9 “Therefore I delivered her into the hands of her lovers, the Assyrians, for whom she lusted. 10 They stripped her naked, took away her sons and daughters and killed her with the sword. She became a byword among women, and punishment was inflicted on her.

(cont)

11 “Her sister Oholibah saw this, yet in her lust and prostitution she was more depraved than her sister. 12 She too lusted after the Assyrians—governors and commanders, warriors in full dress, mounted horsemen, all handsome young men. 13 I saw that she too defiled herself; both of them went the same way.

14 “But she carried her prostitution still further. She saw men portrayed on a wall, figures of Chaldeans[a] portrayed in red,
15 with belts around their waists and flowing turbans on their heads; all of them looked like Babylonian chariot officers, natives of Chaldea.
16 As soon as she saw them, she lusted after them and sent messengers to them in Chaldea.
17 Then the Babylonians came to her, to the bed of love, and in their lust they defiled her. After she had been defiled by them, she turned away from them in disgust.
18 When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her naked body, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister.
19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt.
20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
21 So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

This actually became a good thread

Well done

To be fair, that sounds like a far more legitimate complaint that someone actually needed to be stabbed over than the bullshit I hear at Mickey D's.

If people actually bothered to read co "bait" threads instead of masturbating furiously to what they think's going on, they'd realize that there are a lot of folks here that are adapting to the /tg/ method of "Let's all have fun talking about the craziest fucking off topic shit." Thus the guaranteed replies.

Stereotypes are based on reality, but the way it's represented in any media is over exagerated.

>To be fair, that sounds like a far more legitimate complaint that someone actually needed to be stabbed over than the bullshit I hear at Mickey D's.

A sign that people have been scam artists since forever

And yet, despite saying this hopeful post,
the simple fact is this faggot is proof that Sup Forums still has a bunch of folks who will look at a thread with a hundred fucking replies and still think they have something new to say to the OP.

God fucking DAMNIT, you asshole, I wanted to enjoy my vodka.