Thor Ragnarok director Taika Waititi talks Thor Ragnarok

About diversity:
>"Right from the start we wanted to diversify the cast, and it is hard when you are working with Vikings. You want to be more inclusive and provide a broader representation. And at that point, you have to look at the source material as a very loose inspiration. And then take it from there and go with your gut. Say, ‘You know what? None of that stuff matters. Just because the character was blonde and white in the comic book. That doesn’t matter. That’s not what Valkyrie is about.’ People forget that."
About adhering to the source material:
>“Die-hard fans will say, ‘That’s not really authentic to the comics,’ but as soon as they watch the movie, and they’re involved in the story, and actually what’s happening, everybody forgets. The fact that we even have to keep having this conversation is ridiculous, because we keep forgetting. Unless it’s the topic of the film, it just shouldn’t even be — what do we even care?”
About Marvel Studios:
>“I think that the reputation of Marvel is very high. The things that they do is very high quality and they tell good stories. That’s the main thing. That’s why I got involved with them as well. At the heart of it they want to tell good stories, and that’s what I’m about as well. I’m not about explosions and the like. I like that stuff. I think it’s fun to do, but it’s not why I became a filmmaker. The thing I love is character and story.”
About production:
>"It’s hard to say what the movie is because it’s changing. The plot has changed and the script has changed. There are buddy elements to it between Thor and the Hulk, but who knows what the final movie will look like.”

>“I think this is the most different Marvel movie to date and one of the biggest.”

holy shit

Easiest drop I ever dropped.

Okay.

Did Waititi actually read Thor comics (especially the older ones)?

>“I think this is the most different Marvel movie to date and one of the biggest.”

i mean, they say this about EVERY solo movie that comes out now

>And at that point, you have to look at the source material as a very loose inspiration

And I'm out.

>Right from the start we wanted to diversify the cast
Sweet Christmas. I wonder how bad this movie is going to be. Fuck, 3 movies in and not a single decent one of the lot.

>I think this is the most different Marvel movie to date
it'll be a comedy with a couple of action scenes... completely different

Why is it that white people get so scared of colored people getting even minor roles in movies?

Ever heard the saying; 'when you're privileged equality feels like oppression?'

I know this will most likely fall on deaf ears, but perhaps not all of you are without empathy.

so white black panther when?

>colored people
it's people of color you fucking racist

Ever hear the ancient Chinese saying fuck off nigger?

>Remaining true to the source material is not important, who cares about bringing to life beloved characters as they were intended for the last 5 decades. Norse mythology is also not important because it is not my culture.

>The melanin content of my actors is important to the story, the higher the better because....

you tried, user

That's just as racist.

Sure, if white were a magnilised group it would be the same. It just isn't the case, pretty much everywhere, so nice try, but there's an undenaible diffrence when dealing with people.

So even a Director doesn't know how the movie will look like.
Isn't it his fucking job?

Oh no the poor whites got a minor role taken from them in order to give people of color something.

The horror!

>its only ok when we makes them black

Fuck off

What's the fucking difference?

user, don't you see? With that minor role gone, it's now a ratio of 98:2 white:black characters instead of 99:1!

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE POOR OPPRESSED WHITES?

Great counter-point, but let's be real here for a second black people have been oppressed throughout human history, why is it soooo bad that they get thrown a bone now?

Even now in America blacks suffer from institutionalized racism and racist police forces. In Europe it isn't much better with regards to their unfair treatment and views on muslims which is mostly brown to black.

ugh it's not my job to educate you

H-how did Spidey do that?

unstable molecules

Not at Marvel.

It is just fucking ephemeral super hero garbage. Whatever 'side' of this argument you're on you're an oversensitive jerkoff for even thinking it merits discussion.
It does't matter what color Hiemdel is when he is at the bottom of the walmart dvd bargin bin.
It doesn'tmatter; you don't matter. If you want to matter, go fucking do something with you life.

White tears quench my thirst.

These are the same people who spam "it's always black guys and white girl" but won't let Thor and Flash fuck some chocolate

What
Thor + Storm always made more sense than her and BP

I think given the context of Marvel comics replacing several major heroes with minorities as a direct response to a generation becoming more socially aware (which is something media has done for years with mixed results) has generated a lot of cynicism. Replacing characters is a really lazy way of adding diversity to something. Having more films directed by non-white directors and films with non-white leads would be more of a step forward than just adding a token black person here and there.

And the concept of privilege is meant to be a sociological exercise, not a means by which to guilt people into your way of thinking. That's why most people reject it, because it's a generalization that explains the benefits of a group whilst ignoring the individual. Being white might give you AN advantage, but if you grew up poor or have a disability or mental condition, you're not gonna be more privileged than a black person who lives in a rich neighborhood and is completely able bodied and of sound mind.

As a man of distinguished blackness, I find race bending really patronizing. We'll never get a static shock movie, or even modern static comics, but we'll get lazy race bent legacy characters. Maybe it's because White SJWs like Bendis are the ones with the high profile writing gigs. Maybe there is something to bringing on more black creators. McDuffie didn't take an existing white hero and make him black, he created his own original character and people loved it.

Maybe if Marvel brought on Wimberly or Lesean Thomas, they could give them a chance to create an original property. Felipe Smith got to create a different ghost rider, and it was really good. Still a legacy, but with a different spin on it. Secret wars fucked it up though.

> I enjoy comics for their race baiting potential. Lol. I am white.

Valkyrie fucking Thor is more out of character than making her black.

>Indie director.
>He is progressive
WHAT A SHOCK!

Probably because if the situation was reversed people would be shitting their pants.

>All this Sup Forums in this thread

>Even now in America blacks suffer from institutionalized racism and racist police forces
Blacks are more likely to be the victims of police violence because they're responsible for a large amount of this nation's crime which is the result of two factors: poverty in the black community, and a severe lack of two parent homes. The first can be remedied by financial reform (i.e. things like an increase in the minimum wage) and the later has to be fixed by the black community itself embracing the idea of family more. It should be noted that the Latino community has similar problems as far as poverty goes, but they commit far fewer crimes do mostly to their culture's emphasis on family and togetherness which creates a greater likelihood of Latino children growing up with positive role models and influences.
This isn't to say that racism and a lack of accountability aren't problems in the police (particularly in the U.S.), but you can't write it all off as racism given the crime problem in the black community itself.

You literally don't understand the concept of white privilege. White people have puldendered and deflowered Africa from her resources and thereby directly benefit regardless of their position of their respective society, Europe or America.White people in other countries perhaps not, but their ancestors certainly had it which gave them certain advantages.

You say that as if people aren't shitting their pants already.

Rather than reverse it or even have it at all, it would be better to bring in gods from other pantheons. Shango, the African thunder god, looks fucking badass. Or Takemikazuchi from japan, the god of lightning and swords. Thor comics should take a page out of Gaimans play book and introduce other pantheons. Sure beats race bending

Don't remember the outcry when Gods of Egypt did it, besides blacks are a minority to the social effects are different.

>Don't remember the outcry when Gods of Egypt did it
then you weren't paying attention

>Blacks are more likely to be the victims of police violence because they're responsible for a large amount of this nation's crime which is the result of two factors: poverty in the black community, and a severe lack of two parent homes

Which is the result of racism and Jim Crow laws. White people need to realise this and take responsibility. Giving black people a voice is a good way in my opinion.

How is a white peasent family that's been in and out of the poor house and jail since the beginning of British society benefited by and responsible for the colonization of Africa? Were the German Jews responsible for the Nazis because they simply lived in Germany?

Its so funny that the apparently non-racist way to view the world is to say
>Whites=Big Meanies
>Blacks=Poor Victims
with no exceptions.

Egyptians were not black, barring a single dynasty that only briefly ruled. They were Arabic looking, by and large.
And I remember hearing about almost nothing else about that movie BESIDES the white washing. Every sjw and media pundit was clutching their pearls.

This guy gets it.

People aren't mad because there are black people or other minorities, they're mad because the writers and directors are being lazy with their implementation.

Rather than bring on and introduce minority heroes such as Luke Cage, it's a lot easier to just change a gender or race.

I'm hopeful that people on both sides understand this.

There is a common factor in all of this.
Fucking black people are no poor oppressed martyrs.
Just the amount of crime they commit should be a reason to tell them to fuck off. I'm not gonna feel any sympathy for any black because they are "victims"
Look at fucking Detroit.

Crime statistics are fucked because of the imbalance in drug laws.

And its pretty much an open secret that the 'drug crackdown' in the 80s was just a way to put niggas in jail. Which basically fucks up generations down the line.

People complained, but it was negligible.

nice try racist

How do those things prevent fathers from not running off from their families?

Yes the best way to solve black shootings is to give blacks roles in Hollywood movies.

Excellent bait.

is it the famous "marvel movies care about the source material" meme?

Vikings are white, always were.

That's white people as a whole. What you're talking about explains the benefits of a group and the increased likelihood that individuals in that group will have an advantage, but being white in and of itself doesn't guarantee any success whatsoever just like being black doesn't mean you're automatically disadvantaged, you're just more likely to have grown up poor and without a father.

Being black doesn't make you more likely to commit crimes, that's correct. However, poor people and people without fathers ARE more likely to commit crimes and black people are more likely to have both of those disadvantages.

"Right from the start we wanted to diversify the cast, and it is hard when you are working with Africans. You want to be more inclusive and provide a broader representation. And at that point, you have to look at the source material as a very loose inspiration. And then take it from there and go with your gut. Say, ‘You know what? None of that stuff matters. Just because the character was black in the comic book. That doesn’t matter. That’s not what Black Panther is about.’ People forget that."

I wonder how we can change it? I know! We must force the black fathers to father their children!

Or get the black community to start promoting the idea of two parent homes which would also help with cash flow and the overall quality of life within black homes.

Marvel Studios just can't make an epic Thor fantasy film. They waste their efforts on poltical and ideological matters, while they should try to work with the Thor anad Asgardian mythos. Thor could have the chance to be the LotR of MCU, but it really gets wasted.

A few exception does not disprove the rule. Nice try.

Yup! Who will be the face of this promotion?

Clearly the best answer is to put them in comics books, tv shows and movie adaptations.

>Ever heard the saying; 'when you're privileged equality feels like oppression?'
Yes, so why do niggers bitch when the cast is rightfully all-white?

>Egyptians were not black, barring a single dynasty that only briefly ruled.

Prove it. All I've heard and seen suggest them being black. Are you sure you're not buying into alt-right propaganda?

This nigga gets it
Making more black characters, or raceswapping should lower the crimes, and increase the prosperity and education in black communities

Blacks wouldn't be in that position unless whites put them there, I would even dare to suggest that if Europeans had not interfered in Africa's history then they would thrive as one of the most propsert people in the world.

But were their gods?

Gods created vikings, so yes.

cont.
also, there used to be many gods, and each one of them created their own race of humans. it all ended when one jewish god outkiked them all and became the one and only god for all races

>A few exceptions
Britain has an entrenched and still present class system with a lowerclass that had no say in decisions like colonization.
Australia was basically founded on convicts, as well as dirtpoor diaspora from other countries who were desperate enough to move to the barren desert that was Australia. It also had absolutely no hand in African colonization or slavery.

Once you start piling up 'exceptions' like this, your 'rule' starts falling apart.

I don't care about any of this because I'm a 29 year old adult who's lived through about ten years of superhero movies now.

Whether you want to admit it or not, race is a secondary factor to social and economic disparities. It's a tool used by the wealthy to propigate and encourage derision between poor whites and blacks and other races. The larger problen in the United States and the developed world is a class and economic problem, which many racial tensions are symptomatic of. People with power and money want nothing more than for poor whites and blacks to hate each other.

And they succeeded. Welcome to Planet M.F.

>it's all white people's fault

That's exactly what they say, they did nothing wrong, they shoot their own people because of whites. Without white people, every black man would be a doctor or an engineer.
I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist, I'm just saying that some of them should shut up and assume their own bullshit.

Look at some countries in Africa, after colonials left, what did they do with all the things that were given to them? Nothing. China was more of a shithole than Africa back then and they managed to become a superpower.
Yeah white people did shit, but not all the shit i'm the world. I'm not going to feel sorry for them at all.

>"It’s hard to say what the movie is because it’s changing. The plot has changed and the script has changed. There are buddy elements to it between Thor and the Hulk, but who knows what the final movie will look like.”

Translation: "Feige hasn't decided what kind of movie I want to make yet."

Why is Thor even banging Valkyrie and not the clearly superior Sif?

Its not trendy to say that though, its much easier to play right into the media and big business' hands.

Yup, that's how it looks to, and what i fear most.

>Changing the race of an established character is progressive

They do it for money, not for society,get it in your head,they play with your social awareness for money.

guys im not white, im a fucking colored person, and the fact that they are doing this diversity bullshit and not staying with the source material, its just outrageous, wrong and stupid

making a character black just so you can brag about how much of a good person you are is dumb and retarded, stop this

only an idiot feels proud if a fictional character changes its race, its retarded

By every surviving description we have of them, very yes. The Æsir and Vanir are consistently described as fair-skinned, with straight blonde or red hair, with many of them being described as "shining".

The only character in Norse myth I can think of who might have been suggested to have non-white skin is "Surtr", king of the fire giants, whose name literally means "the black one".
While the Norse did worship a few giants, like Ægir the sea-giant, Surtr wasn't one of them.

Shut up coon, the white men are speaking for you.

people of color identifies them as people who just happen to be a different color. colored people identifies them by their color rather than their humanity

>I changed the words around so it means I'm not racist
Yeah, no.

>About production:
>>"It’s hard to say what the movie is because it’s changing. The plot has changed and the script has changed.

This is exactly Age of Ultron V2.0 It'll still probably get a 80%+ RT rating

Sure you're a black man, of course,
I believe you.

Spoken like someone in a privileged position who have no stake in lifting up marginalised people because they wanna keep having their unearned rights.

Keep making excuses for how the world is and how white people had no part in the current state of it. Thankfully not all people are apathetic enough to just sit back, some are prepared to pay reparations.

You're not evil for having privilege but for not recognizing it

If you don't sympathise when you're part of the problem.

I think movie studios have finally figured out that playing the diversity card is the absolute best way to get free enormous publicity from SJW cultists and the butthurt lunatics that go to war with them.

It's like for so long they've known they have to have exactly one black guy and exactly one female love interest, but now they realize that by adding at least one more of each and having the crew drop the word "diversity" one or two times, legions of obsessive morons will incite a massive scale culture war with each other.

WE WUZ VICTIMS

The jews have been doing this for centuries.

Nice racist meme, but that's literally the truth and still true to this day. Keep being part of the problem, when history looks back at this time I know it won't look favorable on your kind.

'our kind'?

I wasn't even involved in the conversation, but fuck you, you colossal asshole. I refuse to be held responsible for shit done by other people, long before I was born. No white guilt here. You can shove that.

I did shit in school, living in a ghetto myself, but I educated myself and didn't become a gangbanger. Was it because I was white? No, it was because I didn't want that life and actually sought to do better personally, rather than blame all my problems on someone other than me and my situation.

On topic. I would normally care, but not only can I not muster the energy, I know little enough about the figures and settings involved in Ragnarok that I likely won't even notice the difference. So it's annoying that they are playing fast and loose with the material, but whatever.

Because the way they're doing it is racist against those very minorities.

WE

Shit dude, "Wrong side of history" is used by comic book villains and fascist villains in action movies.

Which is hilarious, because the Bible says "You shall have no other gods before me," not "instead of me." Nothing in the Catholic source material says there are no other gods. Hell, the Moses myth specifically allows for other gods.

Okay, I'm black and I just wanna say that I can live without a representative in every single Marvel product. Stop concerning yourselves with fucking diversity you pricks, worry about making a good movie.

You know what they could've done? Tried making Hogun the Grim (an Asian, in case you forgot) into something besides a cameo.
Fuck, how about bringing in other pantheons, if you want diversity. Get someone who knows shit about other religions to help make a comic character out of, I don't know, fucking Ra.