Did anybody watch the Godzilla cartoon?

It had to have been better than the movie, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

scifijapan.com/articles/2006/03/28/godzilla-the-series/
kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Godzilla-The-Series
youtube.com/watch?v=6E6t37NRfN8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is that guy in the middle supposed to be Matthew Broderick?

Of course, it's incredibly better.
I remember that episode where Godzilla reproduced with a giant monitor lizard female, and the egg was broken at the end, even being a kid i feels so bad for Godzilla.

but in the movie Godzilla reproduced asexually.

Not this one. Born sterile.

Then Gamera killed his babies. Jerk.

>Gamera
oh shit, Gamera is in the cartoon? Does it have other classic Godzilla monsters?

I think the episode pointed out that both were sterile.

Yeah it was fun. The story though was this wasn't Godzilla, but one of Godzilla's kids, right? They raised it, and that's why it even listens to them at all and stuff? I can't remember, it's been close to 20 years since it premiered.

No, thats a joke. When Godzilla falls in love with a female lizard monster, they have eggs.

Then a giant turtle crushes the eggs and kills Godzilla's new waifu.

The use of a turtle had to be intentional.

huh. weird

no, none of those guys are in the movie.

and godzooky

>Is that guy in the middle supposed to be Matthew Broderick?

Yes.

>no, none of those guys are in the movie.

Actually, the three from the left were in the movie. It's just the redhead and the fat guy were only in one scene.

>Of course, it's incredibly better.

I can't really debate this on account of me not remembering the cartoon in explicit detail, but I can't help but not agree. At the very least I think the 98 movie was better than the most recent one. At least the 98 one actually captured the essence of the original film's moral issue.

I remember it being pretty cool. Although, I don't remember much else and it may just be nostalgia-vision talking.

>At least the 98 one actually captured the essence of the original film's moral issue.

Barely.

Here is a huge article about the making of the series and concept art for the monsters & such.
scifijapan.com/articles/2006/03/28/godzilla-the-series/

>At least the 98 one actually captured the essence of the original film's moral issue.
what

I strongly appreciated the "Trust No One" episode which was a homage to The Thing just set in the jungle.

>what

The point of the original film was to show people a sort of exaggerated result of abusing nuclear/atomic weapons. Granted, the original was supposed to be a scary film, the 98 remake still more or less tried to convey the same message. All of the following Showa and Heisei era films forgot this almost entirely. And the 2014 version wasn't even about Godzilla or atomic weapons.

>something unique, but extremely dangerous
do you kill the giant lizard that poses a threat to lives and property or try to contain it and preserve this unique species?

If anyone wants to watch it here.
kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Godzilla-The-Series

I preferred the evolution series

The point of Godzilla was "nukes are bad, using them will eventually lead to mankind destroying itself".

The point of GINO was "nukes are bad, we'll end up creating a new species that will wipe out humanity and France is like totally awesome and way better than America, seriously you guys".

So kinda the same thing, but very, very loosely.

Yeah. This is one of those kids that the Godzilla that attacked New York had. They missed one egg, it hatched, and the baby Godzilla imprinted on Matthew Broderick. So they kept it.

The be fair, you put Jean Reno up against Matthew Broderick and of course France is going to come off better.

>So kinda the same thing, but very, very loosely.

Not Very, very. But yeah, kinda loosely. But still much closer than any other Godzilla film to date. At least it tried. The 2014 one would've been GOAT if it went that rout. I went into that on with not very high expectations, and they were not exceeded. Not even Lizzie Olsen could save that movie for me and I've had a crush on her for a few years.

aside from the stock footage of nuclear explosions over the credits, there's no reference to nuclear weapons in the 98 Godzilla. There's a reference to Chernobyl, but that's nuclear power, which is different. And it's just implied that that's the origin of Godzilla, by one scene establishing that's what Matthew Broderick studies. Once Godzilla is introduced the nuclear anything angle is completely dropped.
the 98 Godzilla doesn't even destroy cities, it just smashes buildings. there's no comparison to nuclear weapons at all
The 98 movie paid the absolute smallest possible amount of lipservice to the spirit of the original Godzilla, and then ignored it completely.

I loved this show growing up, then tried to rewatch it in college and oh lord it does not hold up well. The pacing is all over the place, the humor is lame, and the voice acting is subpar.

better than the movie that's for sure.

I loved it.

>there's no reference to nuclear weapons in the 98 Godzilla.

... Yes there is. It's the entire point of the French commando guys' part. They're there because they felt that France was responsible for creating Godzilla because of nuclear weapons testing done in the asian south pacific. Nuclear jive mutated and made Godzilla, and it's existence threatened the existence of mankind. Just like the original film. Obvious different details aside, the 98 film was the most faithful to the intended message of the original.

Not sure why, I never liked it all that much. Not saying it's bad, I still catch some reruns when I feel like it, but yeah, it feels just average.

Maybe if it was either a bit more comedic, like the MIB cartoon, or if there was a stronger overarching plot or something. Would also have been nice it if featured actual Toho monsters, not just imitations, but I know how big of a dick Toho can be when it comes to licencing their characters.

At least the animation was pretty consistently decent.

>Obvious different details aside, the 98 film was the most faithful to the intended message of the original.
which was?

Ronald emmerich it's a fucking terrible director.

Reaction image.

>If this nigga don't shut the fuck up...

Ya know what pisses me off about him the most? He admitted he hates Godzilla. But they let him make it anyway.

The MIB cartoon didn't lay heavily on the comedy until the second season. I rewatched it recently and the contrast is very obvious between seasons 1 and 2.

no, the French Commando was there so Jean Reno could do his American accent.
Did you even WATCH the movie?

>and France is like totally awesome and way better than America, seriously you guys".
How was that? It was their nuke that created Gino.

>some men just want to watch the world burn
>others grab gas an ready the matches themselves

That was exactly one of the main reasons they re-offered him the job, after he initially declined. Sony /TriStar wanted to distance themselves from the negative image of the original movies, while at the same time somehow banking on the brandname's familiarity.

Thank Christ it wasn't more comedic.
>Would also have been nice it if featured actual Toho monsters, not just imitations, but I know how big of a dick Toho can be when it comes to licencing their characters.
Eh I liked having mostly original creations.

>which was?

The message?

'you keep fucking around with atomic weapons and shit like this or something else is gonna come to bite us in the ass and kill us all'. This message was mostly lost on the following films as they turned into formulaic giant monster-bash flicks.

>Sony /TriStar wanted to distance themselves from the negative image of the original movies
Wat?

Sony just wanted a disaster movie that would make more money then Independence Day. So they begged and pleaded Emmerich to direct. He agreed, but only if given complete creative control. They never cared about Godzilla himself.

EMMERICH, however, hates Godzilla and found the old movies "stupid" and "boring". Hence all the changes.

Back in those days, many Hollywood higher ups saw the franchise as putrid garbage made for kids. That's why they refused to fund the proposed 80s American movie and why they wanted to do a drastic reimagining, to distance themselves from all the stigma people held against the Japanese films. They wanted the name, but nothing else that came with it.

This too: The odd thing is that it was still promoted towards kids according to Sony, even though Emmerich openly admitted he didn't understand why kids liked Godzilla movies.

>'you keep fucking around with atomic weapons and shit like this or something else is gonna come to bite us in the ass and kill us all'
That message was kinda lost in the 98 movie considering Zilla hardly caused any damage and was not a very good representation of the horrors and destruction of nuclear weapons.

>Back in those days, many Hollywood higher ups saw the franchise as putrid garbage made for kids. That's why they refused to fund the proposed 80s American movie and why they wanted to do a drastic reimagining, to distance themselves from all the stigma people held against the Japanese films. They wanted the name, but nothing else that came with it.

Just a reminder that the Japanese executives at Toho backed the American film 100% and all of its drastic changes. They weren't in the dark about any of this.

Godzilla: The Series even got a Japanese dub.

Well fuck him too.

>That message was kinda lost in the 98 movie considering Zilla hardly caused any damage and was not a very good representation of the horrors and destruction of nuclear weapons.

I respectfully disagree. Even though Godzilla itself didn't do that much damage, it still could've, and still posed/ potentially foreshadowed a much bigger doomsday threat than the original. Main difference being that original Godzilla was just one, could regurgitate fire, and was just going around all random. The 98 Godzilla was acting on an instinctive agenda to find somewhere to birth it's progeny. Which therein would reproduce even more, and more and more until it became the dominant species and would pretty much wipe out humanity faster than the original film's version would've.

But none the less, regardless of the difference in destructive capability between the two, they both represented the same things. The consequences of atomic weapons and the potential end of mankind. No other (or at least most others) iteration of Godzilla has touched on this.

I want you to go look in a mirror and reconsider your life.

No I'm serious if you actually think the 98 movie was good something is wrong with your tastes.

It didn't capture anything of the godzilla franchise. It was, at best, a retelling of It came from 20'000 leagues under the sea. The monster is vaguely alluded to being made from an atom bomb but we don't see the oxygen destroyer or a suitable stand in. (I.E. the scientist in the movie finds a way to make a bomb that uses oxygen to kill people in a way as destructive if not more so than a nuclear bomb) there was none of that in the 98 film. And really that's as much of a moral issue as the movie had. The rest of it was pretty classic horror with teasing the giant monster until the climax.

The 2015 film was clearly based on the original and other godzilla movies. Right down to saving the big monster stuff till the final act.

98's producers and directors didn't understand godzilla or respect it. They called it a day, remade a fairly typical hollywood monster movie and didn't bother trying to make a godzilla movie.

2015 gets a little bit of hollywood in there but it sticks to a more godzillaish spirit in the monster fights and presentation.

On top of that the cartoon is better than the 98 movie in terms of story telling, concepts, and monster designs. Yeah they had a whole season to work with, but that doesn't mean they didn't put in more effort than the hacks who made Toho leery(ier) of letting the west use their IPs for damn near 20 years.

While I agree that 98 is a bad Godzilla movie, its far from the worst giant monster film. Its a decent remake of Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

>aside from this clear reference to nuclear weapons there was no reference to nuclear weapons
are you the guy that wrote the article about the BLM rally where 12 cops got shot (5 of which died), but it was totally peaceful?

Don't think anyone needs a reminder that Godzilla's owners usually aren't on the top of their game when it comes to good decision making.

Not that they have much of a choice most of the time, their hands are tied by all sorts of things. After the failure to distribute the 90s films in the US, missing out on the scrapped '94 movie and seeing how well ID4 did, they basically had no choice but to support Emmerich. Some suggest they were forced into accepting his vision, they say they were actually happy with it, some fans consider them victims, others see them as part of the problem. Me, I don't know whether I should condemn their judgement or not based on what I know.

just putting in old timey stock footage in the credits does not a theme make.

For what its worth, they hated 98 enough to rush Godzilla 2000 into production, four years before they planned.

>giant monsters represent the end of mankind and the danger of the atomic bomb.

No.

That is an element found in the original godzilla film and hinted at vaguely in other movies but that's hardly unique to godzilla films. Did you just...forget there was an entire decade about radioactivity creating horrible monsters that threaten man kind?

Hollywood shat out movies about giant monsters made by nukes for like 10 years, maybe more. Plenty of other countries made similar films.

"The giant monster represents the nuclear bomb and its capacity to wipe out mankind!" is one of the most typical messages you can find in any giant monster film and you're more than a little idiotic for siezing on it and presenting it as some grandiose worthwhile message to convey in a film.

I'm serious.

That's not what godzilla films are about, not after the first one anyways. They become crazy blockbuster entertainment, though occasionally a social issue would sneak in. (The Black Hole invaders, having lost their world to natural disaster trying to invade earth. Hidorah, The Smog Monster's rampage representing rampant pollution etc.)

The Looming Threat Of The Atom is pretty much what every giant fucking monster from the 50s, to maybe the 80s, has in their creative DNA. It's a theme barely worth mentioning.

I'd make a comparison about superman saving the day but considering how hard BvS and Man of Steel missed that point in favor of the bluntest possible religious symbolism I'm left wondering if I have any ground to stand on.

>Its a decent remake of Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

No it's not. Stop regurgitating this fucking quote.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the original Beast film.

A: shut the fuck up boco.

B: you're not exactly wrong, 98 godzilla is a servicable giant monster film. However it has the godzilla name attached to it and that's like an anchor chained to it's neck.

>clips of nuclear explosions and lizards
it's a preface/backstory. what's so hard to understand about that?

A giant lizard that looks like an iguana is awakened/mutated by nukes. It rampages through New York. It gets tangled in a famous New York landmark and dies.

Yes sir...

>98 godzilla is a servicable giant monster film
Is it? all of the characters are weird comic relief, distracting cameos for Simpsons voice actors, there's no real sense of fear of menace, the monster plays hide and seek for the middle part of the movie for no reason,dodgy CGI on the raptors.
It would certainly be thought of more fondly if it wasn't called Godzilla, but it's still got some problems.

I said 'servicable' not 'good.' The giant monster film is not exactly high art. The CGI isn't flat out awful, that raptor sequence was... best forgotten in the face of what IP was attached to the movie, and yeah the characters are all over the fucking place.

But you can watch it, and if you aren't a godzilla fan boy (like me) chances are you can turn your brain off and enjoy your snacks and a wasted hour or so.

>No I'm serious if you actually think the 98 movie was good something is wrong with your tastes.

It's not perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as nostolgiafags for the 60s through 90s flicks think it is. Seriously. That suit actor who saw the 98 film, got triggered, and said that 'he' was Godzilla can go fuck himself.

>It didn't capture anything of the godzilla franchise.

I know. And that was good. It had none of that monster vs monster bullshit.

>but we don't see the oxygen destroyer or a suitable stand in. (I.E. the scientist in the movie finds a way to make a bomb that uses oxygen to kill people in a way as destructive if not more so than a nuclear bomb) there was none of that in the 98 film.

So? My point is that the 98 movie was closer to the overall message regarding atomic weapons in comparison to the other films. Not that it was a complete tic for tac adaptation/remake of the original.

>The 2015 film was clearly based on the original and other godzilla movies.

More other Godzilla movies than the original, but barely even that since Godzilla itself wasn't even the main focus of them movie. Apart from the title it's anything but a Godzilla movie.

>98's producers and directors didn't understand godzilla or respect it. They called it a day, remade a fairly typical hollywood monster movie and didn't bother trying to make a godzilla movie.

I'd challenge the understanding bit, but the lack of respect I'll give you.

>2015 gets a little bit of hollywood in there but it sticks to a more godzillaish spirit in the monster fights and presentation.

2014, and I'm not talking about the later movies. They don't matter because they never gave a shit about the message of the original.

And then continued to drive the franchise into the fucking ground. Again.

At least we got GMK out of it, even if Toho didn't allow it to be made as originally envisioned.

Monster versus monster is an excellent spectacle and anyone who wants a movie about a giant fucking iguana to be some allegory for man's relationship to technology can go watch an Avant Grde art film. I want a very specific form of entertainment here, not someone's rejected philisophy thesis squeezed into a monster film.

This is a franchise with damn near half a century of a tradition attached to it. You don't go into it without respect.

And I doubt you even watched Gojirra, the monster was only the focus of the film for the second half. In the first we follow the adventures of a bunch of humans with the odd detour to see godzilla's rampage and it's increasing scope.

yeah 2014 (christ it's hard keeping up with these fucking movie and game reboots. There needs to be a rule that you give your reboot a snappy subtitle) focused on humans. That was it's element of the original films.

I don't want a film that worships the Looming Threat Of The Atom, I want monsters fighting monsters. Or giant robots. (Though lets be honest here, there's a lot of films that do that poorly or are bluntly nonsensical.)

I have no use social commentary or allegory unless it's fairly subtle or in the background of what's supposed to be entertainment.

Honestly in all the obsession people have for Television and Movies being art I think a lot of people fucking forget they're supposed to be entertainment. There's a reason Autuer films died out.

I remember a live action serie with action figures or something like that. There are actually no ways to find it. BUT :
youtube.com/watch?v=6E6t37NRfN8

>And I doubt you even watched Gojirra,

I have seen Godzilla. Though not for a few years on account of not having a functioning VCR anymore.

>yeah 2014 focused on humans. That was it's element of the original films.

Human plotlines were never what bothered me. There was always that. the focus was more on the MUTOs than Godzilla. Hence why I don't consider it a Godzilla movie.

>Monster versus monster is an excellent spectacle

Until it got old.

> I want a very specific form of entertainment here, not someone's rejected philisophy thesis squeezed into a monster film.
>I have no use social commentary or allegory unless it's fairly subtle or in the background of what's supposed to be entertainment.
>I don't want a film that worships the Looming Threat Of The Atom, I want monsters fighting monsters.

That's cool for you. It's not my cup of tea, at least not anymore. I actually like some food for thought in my entertainment. But if that gives you your jollies, than that's great.

But none the less I still feel that the 98 version, however much the people who made it didn't give a shit, is still more faithful to what the original film tried to convey than any of the silliness of the others.

Ah yes, the one where Godzilla goes to jail.

Why is Japan so dead set against making new Godzilla shows, I wonder? An anime would be awesome.

>anyone who wants a movie about a giant fucking iguana to be some allegory for man's relationship to technology can go watch an Avant Grde art film. I want a very specific form of entertainment here, not someone's rejected philisophy thesis squeezed into a monster film.
You know, this can be taken both as you dissing the '98 film and as dissing almost all the Godzilla films in general. Because any sort of perceived nuclear message in G98 is hardly that apparent, whereas many of the "genuine" Godzilla movies focus a lot on various social/ecological/economical messages, at times very blatantly.
Not sure where you were going about movies being pure, simple entertainment, because I'm fairly certain that's exactly what the thinking behind the '98 adaptation was, whereas the '14 one did attempt to put forward some deeper thoughts about the "balance of nature" or some such bullshit. Also, when it comes to which of the two is more entertaining, it's hardly a clear-cut distinction, so that's another point that can be used in support of either of the two films.

But I think I've lost track of what you guys were even having an argument over by this point.

I wonder too, But I think they will do a new serie or something like that with the new film coming out.

And I agree, this SHOULD be an anime.

I can't wait to see Godzilla destroying an entire city of tsunderes.

I agree with that, with the upcoming film, they should make an anime about Godzilla.

I can't wait to see Godzilla destroying an entire city of tsunderes.

HOLY SHIT BRO

This isn't samefag?

Well damn.

a Godzilla anime should basically just be pic related

but with Godzilla

Don't think it's Japan, it's more just Toho keeping a tight leash on Godzilla and not allowing it to expand properly.

Still, for what it's worth, at least we'll have pic related.

They are Clones.

I can smell that.

Gojirra, not Godzilla, they're two different movies. Though honestly the only significant difference in the western release is the addition of a character that was added for american audiences to project onto. Honestly an impressive editing job worth studying even today.

Pretty sure you could find both on youtube if you gave a damn.

>Shin Godzilla

God that shit is ugly. I wish they'd continue the pre-millennial storyline. I don't think we ever got any closure to Mothra destroying that meteor. Unless that was resolved in vs MechaGodzilla 2, which is the only 90s one I haven't seen.

What said, Toho doesn't want to use the license much anymore, perhaps in light of the fact that just about everything worth doing with godzilla has arguably been done at this point. On top of that Japan's corporations are very protectionist and will attempt to sabotage any foriegn businesses that make their way into japan. It's really not that unusual for Toho to be leery about letting foriegners use their license.

From what I understand though the Cartoon based on the 98 Version is well liked by godzilla fans there.

You know, I think we can have two different possibilities with Godzilla.

It could be an serious anime with the same atmosphere of the 1954's film.

Or it's an other mecha/kaiju fighting anime.

The two possibilities are the best.

>Gojirra, not Godzilla

Tomato Tomato.

> they're two different movies.

Hardly. Not enough to say they're different films. Regardless of which version, it's fucking still Godzilla.

The 2014 movie should have been called :
''MUTO'' starring Gojira
12 minutes of Godzilla for 3 hours of film.

At least, the 1954 version show us 30 minutes of pure Godzilla city destruction.

>''MUTO'' guest starring Gojira

Fixed.

seriously, dude. Just watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and mentally insert Godzilla in the background in the first couple episodes

dis gon be gud

Was pretty good

Same with the MiB cartoon

>It could be an serious anime with the same atmosphere of the 1954's film.
Would be interesting, don't know how far the concept could be taken without it becoming too dull or losing the atmosphere, though. I would imagine it'd work perhaps better as a short series or some animated movie.

>Or it's an other mecha/kaiju fighting anime.
I think this is more in line with what would be realistically possible. More action oriented and with a sense of fun, as opposed to a totally serious, dramatic approach. It would also sell more merch.

It could also be a typical "monster of the week" shtick, but that would be too similar to the two already existing Godzilla toons.

Or it could be done as a total off the wall comedy with talking monsters and tons of in-jokes for the nerds.

No way Toho would do anything like this, but one can dream. A legit, well made Godzilla cartoon could do wonders for this franchise.

"I think this is more in line with what would be realistically possible. More action oriented and with a sense of fun, as opposed to a totally serious, dramatic approach"
He said.
After hearing those words, our man of the day response with :
Like Evangelion and Aquarion ?

>Or it could be done as a total off the wall comedy with talking monsters and tons of in-jokes for the nerds.

This please.

Thank you

>I die in every episode

BEST CHARACTER

Everyone shits on the movie unfairly.
But the Cartoon was incredible.

>Everyone shits on the movie unfairly.
Godzilla loses to the US military and bridge-ropes
It was shit

For a guy that purpotedly hates Godzilla, he made a pretty typical Kaiju style plot. Right down to Zilla's death being weirdly tragic.

As opposed to losing to a nonsensical kill MacGuffin?

I always had the impression they were going for a generic mishmash of old monster-movie tropes, almost sorta how ID4 was based off various UFO invasion movies. Problem is, Godzilla was a preexisting, unified property, not a collection of random monster films.

I'd like to see him in a movie.

spoken like someone who has never actually watched the show

an entire script was written for a 2nd movie before being shelved due to the bad publicity.
>the baby godzilla at the end survives and escapes into the atlantic after military tries to kill it
>grows to adulthood and has a brood of its own
>Adult Godzillas only reproduce once then become sterile
>its brood was much less than the originals number
>all killed but Big G and the runt of the litter before the end of the movie

in the cartoon they established their Godzilla was 100% male and that its siblings would have all been a mixture of males/females

There was an idea for a third movie, too.

Godzillas now outnumber humans, and a small group of survivors have to find a way to fight back.