/USA/ - SHUT IT DOWN edition

This thread is for Americans to discuss the government shutdown, or for us to shitpost. First post decides

both

excellent

It happens every few years due to budget disagreements, nothing will happen except Monday off for some government employees you fucking 12 year olds

the national parks shut down though :(

I'm drinking this Sunday
t. New England

So its just a strike of some sorts?

kind of
basically faggots in the capitol can't agree on anything so they just stop everything

What's the point? They have to come to an agreement anyway don't they?

this is the price of freedom
Honestly wish our gov. turned out different. We could have even had the same parties and system but ever since 1900 both sides went to shit and they're competing to see who can fuck up the most countries while maintaining power back home, I just wish we took a different path

This place is so much more different than Sup Forums.
There are at least 20 threads with a hundred replies by now over there.

I know this is taking money away from my mom's paycheck so this shit ain't fuckin cool dog.

I'm drinking right now.
t. Tennessee

Its winter

>all republican govt
>still shutdown

incels WILL defend this

The point is to pretend you care about [issue] so much you refuse to pass a budget until you get what you want. Except this time they're literally demanding amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants and to not reinforce the border so more can come over so it probably won't go over well.

wish we had more mexicans

ov vey the Jew wins again

Some bill the democrats put out got turned down by Trump and/or others because it listed no funding for "The Wall TM" and granted amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants.

Allegedly the democrats got so salty that they won't fuck with the debt ceiling until they get what they want, causing government jobs to halt aka not get paid for the work they do until they reach a resolution.

Now you got a bunch of normies and assblasted politically charged teenagers spouting #Trumpshutdown and #SchumerShutdown, pointing fingers at each other like a bunch of fucking children.

That's what I've gathered so far.

>Shifting the blame to democrats

lmao
trumpcucks are ridiculous

This, most regulatory agencies will be working on skeleton crews, which ironically enough Trump may actually like. It would take several months of shutdown to do real damage and for the most part these would be furloughed federal employess hurting from the lack of income.

Even the real nightmare scenario for a government shutdown (the US defaults on debt) is highly unlikely as the treasury has a lot of leeway in making what are basically IOUs.

Having said all that, this is political high stakes, there'll be considerable weariness from the public if this goes on longer than something like a week or two tops. Once markets start reacting after that it could spiral into a mess but again, that's extremely unlikely.

Go back to Sup Forums

>raising the debt ceiling
Why don't you try to fix this instead of raising it again?

Hey now buddy thats not the status quo

Naw it's tradition now to push it to the next presidency forever.

>Fixing the debt ceiling
Oh you poor naive child.....

Is anything else going on we should talk about

I'm shooting a gallon of cum into your mother right now

You're supposed to be better than this swede

How can this been happen with a republican house senate and president?

Wonder where we'd be if the whole Republic meme died out before then. Or assuming the Brits didn't slip up and we stuck around for another century or so, would the US just be the original 13, but with a shitty Union Jack in our flag?

While the senate has a 51-49 GOP majority, they needed a 60 vote supermajority to pass the legislation, which meant some Democrats had to cross party lines if they wanted to avoid the shutdown. There's also the fact that some Reps voted no, McConnell did so for procedural reasons and Paul did so because he's fucking Rand Paul. Am I forgetting anything?