What the shit Marvel? Creeping on Mattie Franklin

Is the creepiness why Mattie/Spider-Woman III wasn't well received? I was introduced to her through Alias, heard about her tragic death, and it inspired me to start collecting her stuff. A hero that has a short stint, some dark times, and then a tragic death that (til now, fucking Silk) is something rare in Marvel.

But only after reading the first actual issue have I noticed something. There isn't a single appearance of hers that isn't somehow sexual or creepy in some way.

>Introduced in Spidey, looks 12, and later is wearing a leotard and kisses him.
>At the end of her own first issue, she is bent over, ass drawn defined and sticking out, grinning cheekily at the reader.
>In Alias, she is 'like Spider-man with tiny tits', and is basically playing whore and living drug to her criminal 'boyfriend'.
>??? Haven't read Loners yet.
>When she dies, it's died spread eagle and 'sacrificial virgin' style on an alter.

The creep factor is just impressive. The character is supposed to be, what, 13-15 across all her appearances til her death? Who approved some of this?

I remember reading Mattie Franklin's first appearances as they were coming out, and I don't remember her being that young. I always thought she was like 15 or 16. Maybe I just don't remember it specifically since that was 18 years ago, and having only read the issues once in the comic book shop, but she didn't get into the creepy stuff you are talking about until the Alias series.

I'm actually trying to collect her entire run of appearances, but Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 (1999) giving me problems. The single issues, especially #1, are too expensive to pick up. I need #1-6 and #14.

Was there/what is a trade that collects them?

What happened in Silk?

Mattie's death is one of the huge reasons I haven't seriously tried to come back to Spider-Man after OMD/OMIT. It was just so incredibly crappy.

>What happened in Silk?
She's getting brought back in Silk.

Is that bad? I would be happy about that (unless it's part of this stupid clone thing I just read about).

Scratch that, them. Next Chapter Vo1-3.

It's not bad, so much as she had an 'ending' and it undoes that. I liked that she was, for all intents and purposes, a cautionary tale in contrast to say the Power Pack. She was the Jessica Jones of Spiders. And then she died.

I suppose they might be able to do something interesting with her, but most likely she will go back to being a little used cameo character. If that's all, she may as well stay dead.

I believe there's a trade that was just released or is about to be released that covers that "period" of Spider-Man. It really was a dark time period in the Spider comics.

John byrne created her and he's kind of a closeted pedo

If you didn't say it, I would.

Jessica Jones is all happy now so we could have her be our new asshole detective character

>Jessica Jones is all happy now
Apperently you didn't read Bendis' interview about his new Jessica Jones ongoing. From the sounds of it, Bendis is going to nuke all of her character development (including shit he himself spent years on) to set her back to a more Alias/MCU JJ status quo.

So you know that whole thing about how Luke and Jessica's marriage is the only happy marriage Marvel allows. WELP.

And now she is engaging in softcore bondage foodplay with another girl while an old man watches

>At the end of her own first issue, she is bent over, ass drawn defined and sticking out, grinning cheekily at the reader.

Don't forget the vore.

>So you know that whole thing about how Luke and Jessica's marriage is the only happy marriage Marvel allows. WELP.
good, their marriage was boring and pointless. Jessica is better off without it

poor Mattie

Jonah never even shed a tear

admittedly his wife did die around the same time

>Introduced in Spidey, looks 12, and later is wearing a leotard and kisses him.

John Byrne. Seriously. She's like Kitty Pryde for Spider-Man comics. Also, the actual Kitty Pryde changed her name after she found out John Byrne had named a comic book character after her, because the guy's a fucking creepy douche.

John Byrne.

>In Alias, she is 'like Spider-man with tiny tits', and is basically playing whore and living drug to her criminal 'boyfriend'.

Brian Michael Bendis, trying to be edgy. He was at a stage in his career where he was still trying to make a mark - Alias was before his big-deal New Avengers run - and he used the MAX title to push boundaries. So you get Mattie as a teenage prostitute (which is, to be fair, a real thing that's happening to someone near you - while you're arguing about comic books on the internet instead of doing something about real-life creeps), though she does get kind of a happy ending.

Remember it was also around this time that Bendis killed off the Vision (which, ironically, John Byrne would have loved) and made Scarlet Witch into a raving loon even though it wasn't really foreshadowed in any way, and benched Wonder Man permanently. But then again Avengers comics weren't really selling well at the time, and a lot of the Scarlet Witch/Wonder Man/Vision love-triangle shit was really, really boring.

Nobody's read Loners.

>When she dies, it's died spread eagle and 'sacrificial virgin' style on an alter.

Yeah, well, she is actually sacrificed to... I forget what. But it's a literal sacrifice, so it's not really surprising. And I guess after Alias it's pretty much a given that she's not a virgin.

Wasn't it to resurrect kraven or sonething?

They resurrected his son as a lion instead.

And then said son was killed by the end of the arc.

>Don't forget the vore.
?

I think user means that the 'mutant' drug is made by cannibalizing her.

No, there is literal vore , i think that was the gimmick of one of her villains, and most of her rogues were nightmarish

On the bright side, this Mattie being brought back will most likely be a dirty clone since it could tie in to the whole Spiderman "let's do the clone saga again!" mess.

>first girlfriend was a teenage prostitute
>didn't know about it at first
>when she told me I didn't want to get tangled up in that mess, was a dumb/scared kid myself
>broke it off and skipped town not too long after
>found out years later she killed herself shortly after I left

I still feel horrible

Shit, user, that's terrible. That said, sounds like there wasn't really much you could really have done. You have to be really fucking dedicated and 'sure' to successfully commit suicide. I severely doubt a boyfriend, especially if you were both young, would have stopped it. Most likely you would have just been drawn into the tragedy.

Oh. Well shitsickles. Sounds like I have some adventures waiting for me when I can find the time to read 2-18.

>(til now, fucking Silk)

I'll be shocked if this is a legitimate resurrection and not just one of the Jackal's clones. Besides, now we'll get to see Jonah acknowledge her death.

I hope she sticks around as a teen villain.

She can make Miles uncomfortable with her spider legs

I always tell myself that. Still gets to me sometimes. That shit is beyond fucked up and more prevalent than people realize.

Anyway sorry for blogging up the thread. I'm gonna go drink now. Night user

>John Byrne. Seriously. She's like Kitty Pryde for Spider-Man comics. Also, the actual Kitty Pryde changed her name after she found out John Byrne had named a comic book character after her, because the guy's a fucking creepy douche.
Whoah tell this story.

pls don't leave us hanging.

What's there to tell? Kitty Pryde was named and designed after a girl Byrne was obsessed with when he was young. The girl changed her name after finding out that Byrne had created a comic character named after her. Said character then went on to be waifu'd by an entire generation of men.

Many of whom would later get their turns as comic writers and each of them had Kitty hook up with their self-insert the first chance they got. Hell, Kitty lost her virginity to Ellis' self-insert when she was only 18 in-universe and the guy was in his mid-30s. Whedon pulled a similar stunt with Colossus, Bendis with Kong, hell Aaron probably was self-inserting as Iceman when he hooked her up with Bobby in WatX.

I don´t get the Ellis part. He doesn´t seem like he is that big of an X-Men fan to pull this stuff.

I like to think he just wanted to be the one to finally write everyone's waifu getting fucked.
To this day, I'm surprised Bendis hasn't killed Pete Wisdom yet.

>(which is, to be fair, a real thing that's happening to someone near you - while you're arguing about comic books on the internet instead of doing something about real-life creeps)

Writing this into your long as fuck post in which you argue about comic books...

Yeah...that seems like a very Ellis thing to do

From what I've heard OG Kitty was Byrne's friend and he asked her permission to name the character after her. She didn't think anything of it until the X-men exploded in popularity with Kitty Pryde being one of the main X-people at the time.

actually, 5 minutes of google-fu says she and byrne were in art college together, and she even says she gave him permission to use the name.

she changed her name to K.D. Pryde when people kept coming to her art gallery showings and asking about the x-men.

She snoops around a dude's apartment, and ends up sleeping with him to distract him and avoid suspicion.

Also, she was in Contest of Champions II.

Skin and Bones.

hey, i volunteer

i also read at an adult level

>Also, she was in Contest of Champions II.

Which was by Claremont, so I'm sure it was wholesome.

He can't kill a character he doesn't know about.

>and then a tragic death that (til now, fucking Silk) is something rare in Marvel
I don't understand, what does Silk have to do with Mattie? Is she back now or someting?

ah, nevermind

>Remember reading something about Maddie in my Spider-Man Ultimate guide or some shit as a kid
>She's this cuhrazy cool new Spider-Girl that changes outfits every comic
>Well that's neat
>Years later, see this thread

I think they may have left some details out of the guide.

Mattie Franklin threads always make me a little sad.
Really tragic stuff to drop on a character who was originally quite bubbly and happy go lucky.

Hope the supposed clone saga gives her a break and potential more permanent return but I suspect her to return to the grave almost immediately instead.

Idk she got so bad I am glad everyone can kinda just pretend she doesn't exist.

Also too many spider characters imho.

We got Spider Woman, arachne, mattie franklin, arana/spider girl, silk, miles freaking morales and whoever the fuck is scarlet Spider this week.

People should just stick to 2 ala the batman and robin method. Just not beyond. Look at the bat family rn, too many fags to care about.

> Bendis's face when he finds out Ellis beat him to the punch.

I haven't read the spidey 2099 revival so i don't know, is miguel still in 616 ? do futures count as "alternate universes" in marvel?

He jumps back and forth. He has a door to 2099 in the basement of his office, but the 2099 that its linked to is different from the one he left. So far its been basically a recurring cycle of "Arc in 616, jumps back to 2099 to see if its back to how it should be then arc in 2099 where everything isn't how it should be, then next arc in 616 as he tries to figure out what to change to get his 2099 back rinse/repeat."

It works well enough.

Arachne is depowered again and hasn't been seen since before the universe ended
Mattie is currently dead
Anya is reality hopping with the Web Warriors
And there isn't a Scarlet Spider right now. Kaine and Ben are both dead and no one cares about the MVP clones, not even Slott who created them. MJ isn't really going to do the hero thing

Right now on 616 it's Peter, Miles, Miguel, Jessica Drew and Silk.

yup, he's a douche

And I guess Flash.

Steel Spider hasn't been seen or mentioned or since Civil War or Dark Reign.

Flash has been in space for a while and he's losing the suit soon anyway

Plus Symbiotes aren't really spiders