Show gets you hooked on a story line

>show gets you hooked on a story line
>now here is a separate story line
>now here is a flashback episode
>now here is a group of side characters
>now here is another flashback
>then some more bull crap
>now back to main story

Anyone else hate when shows do this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/television/comments/6kgg49/everything_is_sadder_with_the_leftovers_music_the/
youtube.com/watch?v=7fWPbq55Df8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't at all

reddit.com/r/television/comments/6kgg49/everything_is_sadder_with_the_leftovers_music_the/

The perfect distillation of why The Leftovers is a terrible show.

Nice video. Upboated.

But they just talk about the music a bit. Why is it a terrible show?

Because user didn't like it.

If you watch the actual video you'll see that the cloying manipulative music turns a 90's sitcom into a parody because even The Fresh Prince of Bel Air production staff knew that powerful moments don't need to be underscored by melodramatic orchestral sapfests. And then you have the comment section filled with people talking about how they are crying after watching it because they are so emotionally bankrupt that they only experience things through conditioned responses to obvious musical soundtracks, even when the soundtrack is being used to demonstrate how ridiculous and over the top the whole affair is.

Nice memes.

Based Reddit!

youtube.com/watch?v=7fWPbq55Df8

Nothing screams letting the dialogue speak for itself like cutting to what the character is thinking about while he is reading while his dream sequence twin looks at him crying.

the leftovers is reddits idea of a good drama

Got tricked into downloading this. I'm at ep 6 still waiting to start giving a shit about any of these miserable bastards. I'm usually all in for slow build and symbolism but this shit just isn't doing it for me.

the first season is the only good season. after that it turns into another lost pile of unexplained shit that adds up to fuck all. finish s1 and then just give up because it's not worth your time

I've done this without anyone's recommendation. For some reason I just never felt the need to continue watching after S1. I sometimes wonder if I should.

seriously don't even bother. it's just a bunch of """kino""" scenes with violin music playing over it and all the retards ate lindelofs shit up. it's horrible.

It took a decent premise and shat all over it by having a schizophrenic pull between being about an alternate reality or being a realistic exploration of grief, which resulted in some of the most half assed world building and characterization to ever be vigorously masturbated over by people desperate to appear smart. You're right at the point where this becomes abundantly clear.

Is there any gay shit happening further down the line? I feel like it's imminent but don't feel like continuing, just need a confirmation if my senses are correct.

If you're looking for a reason to like the characters, then stop watching. All of them are horrible, annoying people.

Other then that it was an interesting show, but they don't explain shit. This might have the most disappointing finale since Lost.

here i'll show you how gay it gets

kevin is jesus and he agrees to allow his father to drown him so he can die and go to this limbo reality where he has to bring back a song to save the world from ending

not even kidding, this is how fucking stupid this show gets.

sounds like lost, which is my all time favorite series. is this good?

>scene comes to a head
>huge tension
>shit about to go down
>lol flashback

NO!

It's pretty much LOST but with all the focus on the characters and none on the mystery (which to be fair was never a selling point in the first place)

The problem with all the focus being on the characters is that if you dislike them, the show ends up sucking, and since only 3 characters are likable out of 20, the show ends up having a pretty bad impression, since nobody wants to watch a show for the 10% of its runtime that is enjoyable

That said, having a smartmouth fat old lady ghost follow the main character around is good TV

I'm about done with the second season and I don't think a single question has been answered yet.
Almost no character has a clear motivation. And I'm pretty sure the only reason the GR don't speak is so the writers don't have to explain any of this bullshit.

spoiler: nothing, at all, gets explained. not one single thing.

so you haven't watched the show?

well, thanks for saving me the trouble

Writer did say the biggest lesson he learned from LOST was to not answer the mystery IIRC

It does sort-of get a small answer right in the epilogue though, it's that Nora uses a sci-fi machine to go to the place where the 2% have gone and it was actually a perfect copy of our world where for the 2% the rest of the population disappeared, but it's just Nora telling the story with no flashbacks or anything so it is implied that she could be lying

It's important to distinguish between unlikable characters and plots and poorly written ones. Leftovers is nothing but the latter.

>I'm pretty sure the only reason the GR don't speak is so the writers don't have to explain any of this bullshit
sums up the whole show too

I'm just waiting for Kevin to go full crazy on the GR. They have fucked up his life twice, the fucking cunt just ignores his questions and gives him shit eating grins. How does no one choke her out?

There's also no reason for her actions either. None of it makes fucking sense!

he doesn't. the gr plot basically gets dropped in the first episode of season 3.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone

You're fucking kidding me?

So the main god damn antags of the show who manage to get a town burned down by people so supposedly worship the town and is one of the most famous places in the country but has NO security besides a few rangers just stop being a thing with zero resolution?

What a shit fucking writer.

>What a shit fucking writer.

LINDELOFED

I very much disliked the series as a whole for the pointless, characteristically Lindelof plotlines and red herring mysteries, but it does become more eventful after season 1, which imo is the worst season. The finale is actually one of the redeeming aspects of this show.

No I just turned on episode 1 of season three and it's showing me some puritan bullshit. Bet It'll be just as pointless as the cavewoman shit.

>2% of world pop disappear and people get really sad about it
>they actually manage to make 3 seasons about nothing