Though I must say, I recognized some words that weren't in his convenient subtitle shirt. He said kawaii...

Though I must say, I recognized some words that weren't in his convenient subtitle shirt. He said kawaii, which means cute. Or did he say kowai, which is scared? He also said desu, which could either be part of the verb "to be", or the romanization of "death". Right now we're dealing with a gradient ranging from something great to something terrible.

Other urls found in this thread:

tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=gWzhHInOiaY
nytimes.com/1987/03/15/travel/so-you-don-t-speak-japanese.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Those aren't real Japanese characters in his speech bubble.

That's probably part of the joke. It does look like actual chicken scratch.

a few of the characters actually resemble hira and kata

I guess its like recognizing some japanese words in the middle of a long sentence

oh i get it

his shirt is the subtitles
just like his animes

That's because Ronnie doesn't actually know or understand Japanese. It's all vaguely familiar gibberish to him, much like says.

And I misquoted, fuck.

We all make mistakes, user. Ronnie will forgive you but you must stroke your beard 2,000 times out of penance.

I'm not a filthy hipster or a Muslim or a jew or omish though

Just a faggot who can't grow a beard.

That's a very big misunderstanding of Japanese you have there.

Yes, it's pretty good, isn't it.

I understood the joke far better than I should have.

Duh. It's not Japanese, it's moon speak.

That's actually a pretty clever joke

ええと…helpu. Helpu! HELPU MEE!

But diagnosing "a gradient ranging from something great to something terrible" should at least be fairly correct.

Why doesn't Agrias just speak English, and where did her tits go?

What would a Japanese guy who speaks no English whatsoever be doing in America?

Tourism. Why would some faggot who doesn't speak Japanese go to Japan?

This is the one really offputting thing for me.

I really want to visit Japan someday but I'm worried I wouldn't be able to handle a country where I can't read any of the signs or anything.

You've never encountered a foreigner who can't speak a word of English?

I have a few times in my life, each time I was useless as fuck.

Japan has English signs in Tokyo and most of their major metropolitan cities.

why is Agrias speaking japanese, I thought she was Chinese

I've heard Akihabara caters to filthy western weeaboos and it's easy for an english speaker to navigate

If you're in the touristy sections of almost any country it's pretty easy to get around with just english. The hard part is more rural areas.

Japan's touristy areas will have english signs everywhere so they can cater to weeaboo fucks who spend their NEETbux on cheap "authentic" japanese trinkets.

Just navigate by instinct. As long as you look Western, nobody is going to expect you to speak or understand any Japanese, and you can get around the city with just the spare Engrish on signs to read.

Evo

I know enough Spanish to make myself kind of useful, but I can't understand it conversationally usually because it's spoken too fast.

This, one of my friends from college who is a HUGE weaboo just spent her honeymoon with her husband in Japan and didn't have many problems with trying to find English translations or help.

my first language is spanish and my english it's okay. in some occasions I've met people in need of translation but I just didn't gave enough fucks to help them, not even were I work.

I'm kind of worried about accidentally standing on the grass next to a "keep off the grass" sign or something like that, or being completely unable to operate a simple vending machine and too embarrassed to ask for help. Little things like that.

What the fuck do you think you have to read in order to work a vending machine?

And as for grass, just stick to places where people already are. If people are on the grass, you can probably walk there. If people aren't on the grass, you probably can't walk there. This is basic shit that remains constant in every human society.

I mean, like, a ticket vending machine at the train station.

Here:
tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf

Just like every other big city metro, it's color coded.

You can always ask the ticket machine fairies for help

youtube.com/watch?v=gWzhHInOiaY

The one thing I found odd about the train system is that I'm used to paying a single price for a ticket or, at most, one of a few prices depending on which zone you start in and which zone you arrive in. In Tokyo, each station has a fare map where you look at where you want to go from where you are and look up the price of the ticket you need to buy. Its all distance-based.

>Russian or something comes into liquor store I work at
>he knows enough English to make himself understood
>think it's my time to shine, being fluent in English but never getting to use it
>mfw I couldn't help with shit, because it was my first week on the job and I didn't know enough about the different liquors he was asking about, beyond which ones we sold the most of
>mfw he kept asking whether I could understand him, since I was acting so unsure of what to answer him, and my English got worse and worse the more panicked I got about not knowing what to tell him

>I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese
okay richtofen

that should teach you to never try

It certainly did. I even quit that job.

We send enough people over there to speak English that almost everyone knows the extreme basics. It's that just a small percentage bother to stick with it fervently enough, and they make sure to put that small percentage to work in airports, hotels, and train stations to make it easier for us to fly over there and spend our dollars.

According to the New York Times, it was quite doable even in 1987.
nytimes.com/1987/03/15/travel/so-you-don-t-speak-japanese.html

>Just as you decide you are hopelessly lost, a Japanese guardian angel appears at your side.

Having a translation dictionary app on phones just makes it easier.