Box Office: Hollywood's Franchise Crisis Worsens

>Summer revenue has tumbled more than 8 percent behind 2016 in North America after a string of misses.

>Save for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Wonder Woman, every summer tentpole so far has underperformed in North America — albeit to varying degrees — resulting in revenue for the season currently running 8 percent behind the same period last year. Worse, gains made in the earlier part of 2017 have been eroded to the point where revenue for the full year is now even with 2016 (in mid-April, it was 6 percent ahead).

>Heading into the July Fourth weekend, Hollywood was confident that Universal and Illumination's Despicable Me 3 wouldn't suffer the same plight. But instead of opening to an expected $85 million-plus, the animated tentpole came in at $72.4 million, well behind Despicable Me 2 and spinoff Minions. While the threequel is hardly a bomb, its lackluster domestic debut sets off another round of alarm bells within the major studios.

>The gap is startling. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, now winding down its run, has earned $165.5 million domestically since its release in late May, compared to $241.1 million for the last film, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Disney went ahead and made Dead Men Tell No Tales even after Stranger Tides did notably less business than either Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End ($309.4 million) or Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($423.3 million).

>Paramount's once-shiny Transformers is in the same boat. Like Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight is the fifth outing in a franchise already plagued by diminishing returns in the U.S. The Last Knight, hitting theaters on June 21, has grossed just $102.1 million. The previous installment, Transformers: Age of Extinction, topped out at $245.4 million, versus $342.4 million for Transformers 3 and a franchise-best $402 million for Transformers 2.

ITS HAPPENING

HOLLYWOOD IS FINISHED

about time

Stop watching franchise movies

The indie revolution is coming.
A couple more years of desperate moves by studios while Netflix rakes in the money before the studios start financing low-budget auteurs left, right and centre in the hopes that one of them makes something that becomes a cult classic

Who will the new Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater be guys?

well this isnt really news, instead of 10 blockbuster a year which make a lot of money we have now 5 blockbuster who will make insane money and 5 blockbuster who make semi good money

how do we fix this?

I wouldn't have a problem with sequels if they weren't such god damn lazy cash-grabs. How about trying something new in your sequels instead of recycling the first movie?

good

oh, no. now hollywood execs will only be able to afford 7 homes instead of 8.

I think they'll turn to the dying husks of people like Scorsese before they realize that new blood is needed.

I mean I like the Scorz but still.

Because risks are bad user

>Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater
God no more please just stop

>Another insipid Transformers movie
>Pixar's worst franchise what only babies enjoy
>A completely uncalled for Pirates sequel
These brands are weak and/or don't have much going for them. People eventually realize a cashgrab after a franchise has spawned it's 3rd or 5th movie.

The Last Knight was legit the worst big budget movie I've ever seen

it just means we get more sequels and remakes.

There are people ITT that think this will encourage Hollywood to take more risks.

>Marvel and DC still dominating
Capekinos back on the menu boys

How did F8 get $1.2B then?

I work at a theater and for the first time in the six or seven years since we got 3D projectors installed, we are being booked for films in a strict 2D guideline. The ratio used to be 80% 3D to 20% 2D showings and it has gradually been leaning the other direction until this moment, when they just gave up on that shit altogether.

It's pretty fantastic, honestly. Either the movie industry is going to wise up and stop trying to bamboozle people with a lazy 3D filter or a brand name, or it's going to crash and burn. We can only go up from here.

f&f is actually like two series joined together, with the second series starting with fast five

>in North America
>domestically
>domestic
>domestically
>in America
And hollywood does not give a single fuck

People get tired of franchises eventually. Shocker.

Less percentage of profits.

Fast and Furious movies are actually decent compared to the dreck that he named.

CLEARLY THE ANSWER IS MORE REMAKES! :^)

>Save for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Wonder Woman
So all the studios will star thinking they need to make comic book adaptations and rush to grab any remotely viable license outside of Marvel and DC, like Spawn, Invincible, Witchblade and... I dunno, fucking Madman or something.

China and SEA

>These brands are weak and/or don't have much going for them.
Transformers? Tell that to China.

No, they've already taken from it that what people want is cinematic universes. See Dark Universe, see Amazing Spiderman, see Ghostbusters, see Transformers, see Godzilla vs. King Kong, et cetera.

Those would all be R-rated and without the Deadpool or Wolverine name to serve as a draw to offset that, though.

it's a good time to be a comic book creator, even a hack like kirkman can become a multimillionaire.

Yup.

>all quiet on the western front
why, though

>The Crow
>Jason Momoa

U wot m9? I like him as a hairy barbarian and all but the Crow???

Was there any good blockbusters this year?

power rangers

I never got why anyone would pay more money to get a minor headache

>tfw having movie #5 in a series is now considered normal
>one franchise is even up to #8

just take a step back and take note of the absurdity

unironically this
As a kid, I always figured there was no money or grandeur in original comic books. Turns out hollywood loves them because they're stories that are focused on action and cliches

It used to be a joke now it's real life

>india
>china
>implying those govts don't take most of the money anyway

Apes

Logan?

yeah because the tenth friday the thirteenth movie totally didn't come out fifteen years ago

>Coming up: Pongo's review of Rocky five Thousand.

That shit was like direct to DVD but the 8th HP or MCU movie was campaigned like it's

based marvel will save us again with spiderman

King Arthur was my favourite so far

>Homecucking

The problem with Hollywood is that it makes shit.

Unimaginative, unremarkable shit.

>Going to the movies costs $15 here in California
>prices of any sort snack is insanely high
>they expect me to go to the theaters and spend $30+ dollars on 2 tickets
Hollywood can eat shit

Why not one about Verdun or Soissons. I excited for Dunkirk but a remake of a classic like that is not necessary

If it doesn't involve English speaking soldiers, Hollywood won't bother. All Quiet on the Western Front gets a pass because of its literary significance, but any other movie that tries depicting massive battles will either shove Americans in and make them the pov character, or give everyone inexplicable English or American accents.

>tfw groupon offers 5€ tickets for my kinothek that last >2 years
feels good man

Funny enough every superhero movie this year has been really good.
Everyone talks of superhero fatigue yet they're the only ones putting out consistent quality.

Star Wars will become this way soon..

>>Pixar's worst franchise what only babies enjoy
t. facebook "film buff" memer

Vidoegames have gone through this phase.
Their solution has been targetting the whales with gamble-like elements.
Do you think something like that is implementable in the context of theaters?

>local theater is $6 for a matinee ticket, $15 for two adult tickets, and $8 for a large popcorn, large drink, and candy

Jesus, does the world really need another variant of A Star is Born?

>won't make a movie about the longest battle and largest tank battle of ww1 all because it they didn't speak English
Do people just not like the French military in ww1

awful, I hope they all bomb

>Star Wars will become this way soon..
i surely hope so.

Because the movies have been shit maybe? Surely it can't just be that!

>Like to see one or two disney movies a year
>Now every movie is a disney movie

>Implying (((Hollywood))) is going to be able to compete with Bollywood in India
>Implying the Chinese government is going to want a bunch of kikes taking over their mass media establishment

As soon as India and China really get their shit together, the jewish cartel of mass media is finished.

Judging by the most well know WWI video game, no.

>>Save for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Wonder Woman

Capeshit is the future deal with it fags.

oy vey wuddaout anudda movie about a white guy getting his white gf stolen from him by an bbc african mandingo?

It really is tho. 80% of all billion dollar movies is capeshit.

>someone expected Despicable Me 3, Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers to do well.

lmao
I could understand Despicable Me 3 a little.
Kids and 9gag user seem to love these yellow idiots. But a meme has limited lifetime. except Bane ofc

Last Transformers only made some money, because people wanted to see, if its really that bad.

Pirates was already dead last movie, dont know why they should have expected more. They already had the dropping numbers.

>Do people just not like the French
yes, nobody likes the french.

>a meme has limited lifetime

it's a trap

Wtf! I live in the 3rd World and here a multiplex ticket cost like 5 or 6 US$, 7 or 8 if you choose IMAX or 3D, and for another $5 you get popcorn and a soda, wages are smaller than America's though

BUT ALL THE SOLDIERS WERE REALLY STRONK BLACK WOMYEN TAKE THAT WITE BOI

its gonna bomb isn't it?

>more and more people pirate
>"it's not like it hurts the industry"

Allegedly it's made most of its budget back on pre-sales.

I say allegedly because I don't know how pre-sales actually work.

This. I could go to a sushi bar and watch some movies on my phone instead for the money I pay at a theater.

Its sooner than you think.

The last 5 have been shit.

>Hollywood will die and so will the MPAA in your life time

What a time to be alive!

Hollywood is completely out of touch with true American culture. The best that they can do is leech off of the names of franchises from eras where our entertainment industries were united with America, i.e. Star War and pre-politically correct Marvel. Of course, they'll run those into the ground in time, too.

looking to do acid my first while watching this, is this a good idea?

>indie revolution
It only happens in spurts and when no one is looking.

>Going out on your first go

Yeah dude, good idea. Go clubbing afterwards too.

>no jack quest for eternal life
>instead you get more orlando bloom memes cause that the reason that stranger tides bombed !!!! no orlando bloom!!! bring him back guys

>mexico get two movies tuesdays for 6 bucks

This is one thing this movie got right on the fucking head. But then again the trend kind died off in the late 90s early 00, lord of the rings and harry potter kick started the more sequel movie franchise shit and marvel is keeping it alive.

The problem is that all the other copycats dont have the mass of existing GOOD lore that keeps those franchises alive and making money.

WHO /THRILLED THAT ACTORS WILL BE LOSING MONEY/ HERE?

>muh piracy

People aren't even watching movies anymore. Hollywood has become completely out of touch with mainstream culture (the media likes to act like they're the arbiters of mainstream culture; they vastly overestimate themselves in this regard), and these falling profits are the end result.

Make sure you talk to black people, DO NOT BE RACIST

Perhaps they could try not making shit movies?

>lord of the rings
I'd blame them splitting up the last harry potter book, hunger games book, and the hobbit, but not LotR

splitting shit up/drawing it out is what's really wrong here. See how long they've been teasing Thanos in the MCU, while we're at it.

user? user? ANOOOOOON!

For the production company. They were able to sell the movie early and use that money to cover production costs. The distributers are gonna lose big time.

Harry potter and lotr going on for a while was not a problem. They had to drag out the films BECAUSE there was so much shit to cover. This b good. But imitators lack any of that and run out of steam fast.

Hollywood is going to completely collapse and outsource to Chine and India and there won't be a remake ever again.

I am a huge autist about transformers and even I could not make any damn sense of what was going on sometimes.

There's a Cinepolis (Biggest Movie Theater franchise in spicland) 20 mins from my house and i still have no idea why they only charge 32 pesos per ticket, which comes up as around 1.50 Dollars, and 3D tickets cost 45 or 2.5 dollars. I thought the sancks were expensive, but according to you guys, they're dirt cheap. A combo with XL Popcorn tub, Nachos and a large soda goes for 5 Dollarydoos or 98 pesos.

Feels pretty good, man,