So, uh, what did Tarkovsky mean by this

So, uh, what did Tarkovsky mean by this

Other urls found in this thread:

eastwestreport.org/articles/ew09310.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=TGRDYpCmMcM
youtube.com/watch?v=dNiVFCWMrqI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Life's a piece of shit when you look at it.

You will never get what you want

Dog water is comfortable

Cheeki breeki iv damke

>looking for a "message" in Tarkovsky's work

You're breaking his heart user, you're just supposed to feel

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.

>Hey pavlov, Perro caca

Americans will never understand Takovosky. I'm sorry. They're just too ignorant.

You'll see it's all a brap,
Keep 'em brapping as you brap.
Just brapmember that the last brap is on you!

Such a classic

If you're referring to that piece in which he bitches about ""symbolism"" and argues semantics, you're entirely wrong about your post. His films have meaning, and he acknowledges that they do.

underrated

Do you need to live to have lived under communism to "get it"? I'm not American but i felt i understood the film.

I feel the movie was about adult men living a crisis of faith in a faithless society

eastwestreport.org/articles/ew09310.htm

oh well for the first time i was right on something

Yes his films have general themes and a certain meaning to him, but not every frame of his films have a direct "meaning" you should get out of it.
I think he even said one time that a dog in his film represents just a dog.

The dog was supposed to be shaved to look like a proper pseudodog but apparently they couldn't get the funding for that.

Looks comfy.
>you will never die from radiation exposure while filming Soviet kino at gunpoint

why even live

The dog reperesents the stalker's doubt

The sequence is also an allusion to biblical deluge

Fun fact: that river was full of chemicals from soviet factories and gave everyone cancer

this was the only point of the movie that i completely missed, i was still caught in thought over the previous scene of the artist bantering with the scientist
was it intentionally slow?
why was there a dog? there were no other animals in the zone, but suddenly there is a dog and nobody reacts to it? seriously what did he mean by this?

>Do you need to live to have lived under communism to "get it"?

No, just have a real culture, which Americans will never have, Tarkovsky is massively appreciated in Europe.

Watching the flick after knowing this fact, I was cringing every time they waded through some toxic sludge.
You could make a good drinking game out of it, drink every time a scene gave the actors cancer.

Yeah, no. Tarkovsky didn't make a direct allegory. Fuck off with this shit

I get why tarkovsky is considered great, but I really couldnt get into Stalker when I watched it in theaters a few months ago

>Tarkovsky's The Stalker
Never mind, it's clearly bait.

Just think of everything you see on screen as visual poetry, not a puzzle which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to "get" it.

Where was it screened? There was a tarkovsky retrospective recently in the cinema I go to mostly.

You should've given your ticket to me

The indie theater down the street from my place is doing a Stalker / Solaris double feature this upcoming weekend. Which should I watch if I only have time to see one?

Stalker

Stalker imo. Literally the most atmospheric movie I've ever seen.

That's fine, you don’t have to force yourself like every critically acclaimed film or director, it's called having a taste.
But maybe try again in a few years or so to see where you're at.

Film Society of Lincoln Center in NYC

If anybody contemplates watching it, here's the new restored exceptionally good print that's available on youtube (yes on youtube, you still won't find a better one almost anywhere else, video quality is great and the 196kbps youtube audio is more than enough for this)

youtube.com/watch?v=TGRDYpCmMcM

Having studied this film, I'll give a serious answer: the water is polluted, so the protagonist is avoiding it by lying on a pile of shit. What the director was trying to say was that in order to survive, you must lie on some shit.

desu if you're watching on a larger screen the blockiness is somewhat noticeable, since there are a lot of blacks and darker colors in the film. I'm pretty sure criterion is releasing the restoration in two weeks though.

The whole cast and crew died of kinocancer, the most patrician way to go possible

The bluray print is absolutely horrendous though.
Yeah waiting on Criterion for a while now

That's true. You'd definitely be better off watching the restoration on youtube than any of the currently bluray releases.

It meant. Life is a bitch. Also he meant there is no meaning in life just like my film.

youtube.com/watch?v=dNiVFCWMrqI

What was the mutant telekinetic girl supposed to symbolize?

Nothing. It's just a hint that the zone really did possess some supernatural properties. Tarkovsky didn't like symbolism and avoided it.

yet his films are full of symbols

you probably read this crap in his book

>yet his films are full of symbols
Care to share some examples?

That and she also features in the book.

Humanity cannot and should not get their deepest desires. The Stalker is being reminded of this.