Is anyone else tired of these cartoons with basic ass "lore" being pushed as the second coming of Christ?

Is anyone else tired of these cartoons with basic ass "lore" being pushed as the second coming of Christ?

>Adventure Time
>Steven Universe
>Gravity Falls
>Star Vs. (to a lesser extent)

All of them have bottom of the barrel simple "lore" but get praised because some background event gets shown later with an arguable payoff. It seems like nobody cares about shows that just tell fun stories with good animation anymore. Are these lorefags people who only watch cartoons and never experienced literally any other show? I feel it's that way nowadays and manchildren never watched anything besides what's on CN, Nick, or Disney.

Thoughts?

that's why i'm liking nick more these days, the shows are still just fun 11 minute comedy, like loud house and newer spongebob episodes

Lorefags are literal cancer on cartoons.

No. Why do you even have a problem with that?

Do you just not find the lore compelling? That's fine, but what would you prefer?

Fucking this. From Gravity Falls kinda-but-not-really ARG stuff, to Steven Universe's half assed world building. I'm honestly tired of these mediocre shows getting passes because of "muh lore" and "muh serialized stories." It was good in Avatar because they had a world that was planned out to the smallest details before Korra fucked it up.

Because it never works. Somewhere along the way, the plot shoots itself in the foot and leaves viewers with an unsatisifed emptiness upon watching it.

No, and i hate how some people are beginning to dislike story driven cartoons that actually attempt to make something of their show in favor of medicore drivel like uncle grandpa for being a "real cartoon".

Because no recent show has done it well. It's very clear they're taking influences from many other places yet can't actually pin down what made them good.

Oh boy. I sure love these cartoons with half assed lore because they include half assed lore. It's not like they need to actually do it well because tumblr faggots will eat it up because of the theory potential.

>show in favor of medicore drivel like uncle grandpa for being a "real cartoon".

Who are you quoting?

What "lore" are you talking about? Continuity?

Read the op?

If you think they're doing it wrong, how should they be doing it?

Adventure time has been consistently good, no idea why the hate.
Don't watch the others.

>lore is bad
>but these cartoons with lore are bad because they don't focus on building it enough
Whatever it takes to be contrarian, eh?

No continuity in cartoons is welcomed. I'm talking about building up this looming threat or hidden mysteries and having it amount to nothing when it finally comes to fruition.

Because even if nothing does come out of it, speculating is half the fun. There's literally nothing to talk about with shows like Uncle Grandpa because its not even good at what it does. And even good comedic shows like Gumball don't generate that much discussion.

Personally, I don't think it should be in the story if it's not in service to the characters. In Steven Universe, the lore doesn't help the world building at all. Humans are petty much oblivious to the gems despite being in a 6000 year long war with them. The world is almost exactly like ours, no gem tech is used anywhere, nobody looks into the gems, no explanation of why the gems aren't accountable for property damage. Let's compare it to say, Harry Potter where the magic world and its relationship with the "normal world" is clearly laid out. You get a clear sense that each part builds off of each other and the characters are greatly influenced by the past and the present.

The audience focusing on lore means the show is boring.

>lore has effectively replaced action and cartoons with an actual plot
Fuck everything

Because TV shows weren't meant to be scrutinized in that way. Saying a show is good because of theory potential isn't really a good thing because it doesn't acknowledge how good the parts of the show are themselves.

>Adventure Time has been consistently good
Fuck off

>Because TV shows weren't meant to be scrutinized in that way

Says who? Tons of medicore shows have been given headway from speculation. Just look at Dragon Ball Z. And you act as though the lore is the only thing praised about those shows.

Since when has Dragon Ball ever been a "lore" heavy series?

Think of all the intellectual effort wasted on lore analysis and speculation when people could be interpreting the narrative to derive meaning.

>Dragon Ball Z
>lore

Not really

Its the same type of lore that get people into Steven Universe. Who is gonna join the team, whats gonna happen next, what will these characters get themselves into and how will impact their relationships and the story.

Unless it was made to be specifically views that way (See: Gravity Falls) most shows aren't made to be obsessively analyzed and theorized nor is that a mark of quality.

Who the fuck ever cared about the lore of Dragonball when it was pretty much a magic cartoon where just about anything could happen? Dragon Ball almost never had set "rules" any pretty much everything was written on the fly.

I know this wasn't meant as an Uncle Grandpa thread, but, although I love the show, I gotta admit that it hasn't truly reached its potential.

With no overarching story, the show's success depends on its characters. Pizza Steve may be annoying, but he makes up for it by being aware of this and still having insecurities. Plus, he bounces well off of Mr. Gus, who's literally a perfect character all around, IMO.

Uncle Grandpa himself pretty much hinders the show. He's usually just portrayed as an idiot who constantly falls for Pizza Steve's shtick. Were the show to focus more on how he loves to help everyone (like the Aunt Grandma episodes), he could be a bit more likable, like a more quirky Wander. Don't get me wrong; Uncle G has his moments, but he generally falls flat.

With both WOY and UG being cartoony cartoons that take place in different locations almost every episode, it's almost impossible for me not to compare them. The former does comedic timing far better than the latter, unfortunately.

Uncle Grandpa's definitely gotten better lately, but we'll have to wait and see what these next ~50 episodes'll be like (if CN actually airs them).

And even then, Wander Over Yonder despite being a really good show, only got popular when they added a new character, showing signs of the continuity and lore that attracts people to a show.

>only got popular when they added a new character

*waifu. WOY threads when to shit because of waifufags.

>I hate what's popular these days
There,I fixed it for (You)

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY ever gave a flying fuck about the relationships in Dragon Ball Z

(You)

This thread is just another one of those subjective threads that have vague "solutions" to "problems" with popular shows.

Of course there are some bad AT, SU, WoY episodes, but that doesn't mean the lore in the show is done poorly.

Lore is worthless when its boring and the show always goes back to status quo

Examples?

>my opinion matters

If on average people disagree with you how do you consider your opinions right?

Fuck lore. Give me good character interactions and an engaging story.
Things like Puzzle Agent tried to coax lorefags hard in the sequel and ended up all the mystery and narrative of the first game.

>Fuck lore, give me lore

Star vs and GF lore isnt particularly unique or takes much of an interesting take on old cliches

I think all these anti-lore fags are just butt hurt Gravity Falls fans sad that their "revolutionary" show only had one mystery worth following.

Lore isn't bad but there trying to use Lore instead of an ongoing story so it's not as good as a payoff.

>fuck anything new
>The thread

You don't need lore for a good story and good character interactions.
If that was the case, then the Star Wars prequels are better than the original trilogy.

This. It had nothing to do with continuity. People just fell head over heels for Dominator after "My Fair Hatey" (despite there being plenty of other beautiful aliens in the show).

That's the main reason why it got so little attention until recently. Nobody wanted to watch a pure, cartoony animated series, made by CRAIG McCRACKEN, for that matter!

Your analogy makes no sense within the context.

Which Forster proves that you abolutely don't know what you're dissatisfied about.

>further

>dragon ball
>mediochre

You need to be older than 18 to post here.

/thread

>No perverted waifufags thinking with their dicks wanted to watch a pure, cartoony animated series, made by CRAIG McCRACKEN, for that matter!

FTFY

Lore driven shows are not new. Things like ReBoot and Beast Wars were really plot heavy, and those are the ones I can vividly remember.

Op wasn't arguing against lore, and your reply compliments this.

He's saying that he does not like how SU, AT, GF and Sv does lore.

All of which are new and present lore in different styles.

If he prefers BW and Reboot to what he states in OP then he's delving into a different kind of lore catered to a different age range.

I really liked Reboot and BW, but you can't really compare the lore in these to OP's.

That lead me to believe that OP simply doesn't like new shows that have rather than the lore people want to incorporate on shows. Entirely subjective.

R&M is a new show with lore, why didn't he site it as an example?

Craig wanted it to have lore and a plot from the start but Disney said no.

Here is an example of an ongoing plot aka lore done right.

Although granted its not primarily aimed at kids and the episodes aren't shat out every week or so.

Because Rick and Morty isn't a children's show.

>Not aimed at kids

Exactly. I think OP should've reworded his post as, why can't lore in children's shows be a like VB and R&M.

The answer is that old lore wasnt trailered to children cartoons because of how complex it tends to become.

Eventually they have to try and overstep their boundaries and when they do its "Tumblr" tier.

This is simply a thread based on opinions, which tend to be the worst threads on Sup Forums.

Mystery Incorporated did lore pretty well.
I think Adventure Time and Gravity Falls just got people cynical about "muh lore".

But what does that have to do with the status quo?

What does Rick and Morty do with its lore that the shows in the Op don't? Is Rick and Morty an example of lore done right?

>Adventure time has been consistently good
It hasn't. I stopped viewing around season 4 or something.

Adventure Time is one of those cartoons which was intended for children, but autistic adults had to get their greasy claws on it and start to make it more "mature" for their personal tastes while disregarding the children.

There's no point in doing heavy literary criticism on works where the creators themselves are more concerned with just telling an interesting and coherent story.

I know a lot of people here dislike the "it's for kids" argument, but there is a limit to how much you can get from these shows.

Rick and Morty doesn't really have a lore.
It has continuity but not much lore at least not yet I suppose.

Mystery Inc is pretty much Gravity Falls but better

No, it's an example of a show with lore that doesn't get shitted on every day.

Same with VB.

Thus showing OP's bias.

Not him, but I wish they'd stay away from getting too deep into the lore in Rick & Morty. I don't care about the Federation or whatever and I just want to see Rick go on crazy adventures.

The only thing I can say in favor of this is that it's at least not intrusive and is basically restricted to a few episodes a season. I'm not that fussed on the politics of the League of Ricks, either. The idea of Rick's being basic guards is absurd, you'd think they'd have robots for that or something.

It has enough

>Pilot, Potion no. 9, Christmas special, daycare ep, show me what you got, finale

Except they don't have half assed lore, showing your own

I never thought about that. Why did MI get less of a following?

This is the most subjective statement in the thread.

Again, your opinion doesn't matter of the greater majority doesn't share it.

What half assed lore does VB have?

>All of which are new and present lore in different styles.

No?

Lore that spans like 50 years and features a multitude of recurring characters.

My opinion doesn't matter on whether or not I think VB's lore is half assed.

Because that's a never ending debate considering its entirely subjective unless, you can explain what's so half assed about SU, AT and S vs. Lore.

>They

What about R&M, why did you discount it? Did you know that it is half asses as well?

>"how dare cartoons have a story line"

Fixed it for you, OP.

By that logic, Hillary Clinton is a great candidate because she has more support that God Master Trump. Fucking kill yourself, faggot.

What lore does R&M even have? It's basically just as lose as Futurama where anything can change based on the episode. When did I even discount it?

>Steven Universe
>basic lore
topkek

>How dare he not like shitty shows

Fixed it for you.

It's lore comes in the form of Rick and his past fighting the Galactic Federation, among other things.

The presidential election is literally a popularity contest you dense faggot

(You)

>steven universe and gravity falls
>shit shows

Just castrate yourself now, user.

No fucking shit. That's the point, dumbass.

>you should inflict harm on yourself because you don't like a show
Calm down, friend.

Oh, well thanks for proving it.

>The candidate that loses gets nothing, like their candidacy never even mastered

>Whiles the other one is president

>The less popular set loses and the more popular one wins

Which one is more relevant, the opinion/vote that made a candidate win or the one that was irrelevant because the other lost.

I mean, how fucking stupid can you get? That literally means that the less popular opinion, yours, doesn't matter.

I wouldn't have pulled out that last lady's chair; I would've BECOME the chair.

(You)

>Responding to obvious b8

Good la

Do I really need to explain to you how ass backwards that logic is? Jesus Christ, use some fucking forethought here.

Shh, don't spoil it, user. I wanna see how far I can take this.

>same fags responding to each other

Does eBay have lives to auction off?

Because these guys need one.

Adventure Time has interesting lore but is a slave to status quo
GF and Star Vs are willing to change it but have meh lore

I'm tired of that shit yes, but I'll admit it works really well on me. The show will tease some cryptic thing in the background (like Bismuth from SU) and because I'll get curious about said thing, I'll keep watching every episode hoping I get all the questions answered

Nothing is wrong with having simple lore or whatever, but that shouldn't be the focus. Usually when people try to tell you why SU or Adventure Time or whatever is good, they'll mention a "complex overarching backstory" instead of humor or art

What?