2001: a waste of space odyssey

Why do people like this?
No I'm not trying to get people angry or just shit post but I really don't get it.
I haven't been able to sit through this film, I've tried to watch it about five times but I always stop because I can't will myself to continue. This film is...
SO...
FUCKING...
BORING...
jesus christ this film starts off with
3 minutes of blackness, followed by
17 minutes of monkey shit, then
5 minutes of ships slowly moving, then
25 minutes of boringly shot conversations with this doctor guy I am assuming we never see again and only around the 1 hour mark is where we meet our main character.
That is as far as I can get, it's draining the fucking life out of me. Why do people like this? If there is good symbolism or meaning in the rest of it, then how the fuck did they get that far? If there is really good symbolism to found by looking into this film then that's all well and good but that doesn't excuse the film being fucking boring and uninteresting without it.

Can anyone please explain to me what the big fucking deal is? Is the rest of it fucking phenomenal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YSY9NGUC5Q4
youtu.be/zMLxF93u5Yw
youtube.com/watch?v=MG-81ZCtciI
youtube.com/watch?v=UgkyrW2NiwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Can anyone please explain to me what the big fucking deal is?

It is literally impossible to explain this to you, it's like trying to teach a baby geometry. You are simply too stupid for it.

And that's okay, there are movies out there that will be more to your taste. I hope you enjoy those movies.

If you don't enjoy it, there might not be anything that can be done about it. It's a film for people who want to experience the thrill of sublime cosmic mystery. Also for people who enjoy classical music videos with god-tier cinematography.

I've read enough threads like this to know that you're not genuinely interested in an enlightening exegesis of the film and instead just want to complain.

I felt the same
Never even bothered finishing it because it was so boring.

Pls enlighten me

Pretty cinematography and special effects. It also appeals to the "I think lack of direction and ambiguity is inherently smart" crowd. The actual dialog and characters in the movie suck. Ironically, the robot AI is the most interesting person.

>Thinks good sci-fi has to have laser swords and ships that pew pew at each other.

>god-tier cinematography
You're kidding, right?

Your mind is simply too small to understand such work of art. Just go back to your marvel movies, kid.

Op here, how did you interpret that from what I said. Seems like a pretty big leap. For your information I loved Children of Men

Did the movie open up with the apes to show where the human race started? I recently saw this movie after hearing about it for so long and it was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Bragging rights.
As this thread clearly shows, the primary reason to watch the movie is to make yourself feel smart because clearly only the truly patrician could possibly appreciate something like this.
On an unrelated note, did you see the emperor's latest outfit? It sure was something, huh? I totally saw it. It existed and everything.

It was a default "I want to sound smart and refined, but I can't articulate any of my thoughts or put a point across" post. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Of course. Well, really I have to take the sound into account too, since it works so closely together with the cinematography to create the movie's effect. Take this scene for example. The desolate moonscape, the mysterious monolith, and the eerie music combine to send a chill up the spine.

The impact of scenes is diminished when you drag every single one out and blast classical music over it. Sometimes, less is more.

I also loved how it lasted 5 minutes, they needed every mili-second

Different strokes for different folks. I genuinely love the fact that the scene is long and think that the length enhances rather than diminishes the effect. If you don't enjoy the length, that's fine, as long as you understand that some people do enjoy it.

I felt the same way as you the first time I saw 2001, OP. Long, glacially slow, and a wtf ending. No wonder critics hated it when it released.

Saw it again a few years later. 2001 is better the second time. You get how the movie tracks the role of violence and tools in the evolution of man. You see how the movie is about an alien race fucking with us and forcing evolution with the obelisks.

The match cut at the start where the monkey throws the bone into the air and they immediately cut to the space station kinda spells it out.

It's just a meme, nobody actually like's this flick

>You see how the movie is about an alien race fucking with us and forcing evolution with the obelisks.
Not necessarily. That's just the most popular interpretation.

>SO...
>FUCKING...
>BORING...

>I've tried to watch it about five times

>SO...
>FUCKING...
>BORING...

You get bored because you're not watching it.

No one is saying that you have to like it, but yes, many people unironically enjoy this movie.

>No I'm not trying to get people angry or just shit post but I really don't get it.
Just like the next words out of someone mouth who declares "I'm not going to lie" is guaranteed to be a lie, declaring you're not here to shitpost means you're only here to shit post. If you want a meaningful discourse I suggest you actually put the fidget spinner down long enough to actually watch the movie all the way through. They even build in a an intermission where you can grab some tendies and an advil.

stories are bigger than people

My eyes are pointed at the screen,
Earphones in ears,
Doritos in hand.
What am I doing wrong?

it's literally redd.it: the movie

You're not watching it. You're passively experiencing it. It's happening in front of you. You need to watch it.

Coolio Julio

nice meme

waking up each day. Delete yourself.

Yes, I understand that some people's brains don't work fast enough to process and appreciate scene composition in less time than I need to take a shower.

>3 minutes of blackness
Some movies did that back in the day. It's called an Overture and notified the audience that the play/opera/movie was going to begin. Now we have 15 minutes of trailers to keep us in our seats.

Is there a reason why you have to view it in one sitting? If you finished watching the Moon stuff, just skip forward to 1h18m to get to the "action" bypassing the life in space vignettes.

Or take a stress pill, and relax...

You in bed, probably: "What's the point of fucking for more than 30 seconds? I already understand what's happening!"
The point is that if you actually enjoy the present-moment experience of watching this movie, you will enjoy the scenes being long. If you don't enjoy the experience on a moment-by-moment level, then of course you won't want to watch the long scenes.

>2011
>A party rock odyssey

ITT: plebs

>I'll boil it down to an analogy that doesn't apply at all given that it's an apples to oranges comparison
Good for you, sport.

I have been picking up where I left off previously, I may will myself back if I'm close to the action like you say.

It's a masterpiece in all respects

The first time I watched this movie, I got the sense that I just witnessed something brilliant, but I needed to watch it a couple more times to fully comprehend it.

Same goes for There Will Be Blood

the big deal is you're too stupid to understand any of it.

I'm just trying to point out that I don't mind having (good) sex for a long time because every moment of it is enjoyable. It's not like I'm lying there thinking "damn, this sucks... can't wait to fast forward to the ending". Well, at least if the sex is good it's not like that.
Similarly, when I watch 2001, I'm enjoying every moment of watching it. It's a feast for the eyes, the ears, and the mind. So I don't mind the long scenes because the moments that make up me watching them are all enjoyable as moments.

no, he isn't you goddamn brainlet

This was the best scene the music was intense as fuck.

Go back to your capeshit faggot.

>I'm just comparing an appreciation of aesthetics in a movie based on scene composition to a physical act of intimacy
>They're comparable because I enjoy both!
It's amazing how fans of the movie try to sound smart, and then shatter that illusion every time they open their mouths.

Is there a single more unsettling piece of music than this?

youtube.com/watch?v=YSY9NGUC5Q4

this is lovecraftian cosmic horror level shit

It's pretty fucking amazing, so hard to believe this came out in the 60's

Kill yourself

>there are plebs of this level on my Sup Forums

RIP

>so hard to believe this came out in the 60's
>coincided with the drug revolution

you know, in retrospect maybe its not so hard to believe, had to be tripping pretty hard to come up with this

seriously, go sit in a dark room with some headphones and put this on, its terrifying

>Y-You just don't understand it's brilliance!
No, you're just a redditor desperate to appear smart and cultured.

>kill yourself

not even hiding you're from reddit

top tier bait thread

I think that 2001 is the most Lovecraftian film yet made.

I watched this when I was 13 and really enjoyed it. How do people have such an inability to appreciate a masterpiece like this?

Based 2011 poster

I love you, never stop.

>is there a more unsettling piece of music than this?
Yes. Used by Kubrick in "The Shining". Anything by Penderecki qualifies.
youtu.be/zMLxF93u5Yw

It's just a meme that this movie is art and ppl who say they enjoyed it are just pretending to enjoy it so they can be pretentious cunts on the internet

I always like 2010 more anyway.

We don't all have the mindset of a 13 year old.

Not gonna listen to the whole thing, but yeah thats good too.

The requiem from 2001 just has that mindless shrieking chorus thing going on, like if you were ever being driven insane by some incomprehensible cosmic horror, it would sound like that

>I don't like it therefore people who do are just pretending
This fucking board.

Okay

Im afraid Dave.

Stop, Dave.

Will you, stop, Dave?

>falling for my bait

Its an entry level film. Nothing more. Its a solid 6/10. It is not awful, but it is certainly is no master piece. Like others have said, its a film many people getting into film pretend to like to seem "intellectual". That being said, it is worth a watch if you have not seen it.

People will get offended over this, but its nothing to be ashamed about. We all go through this phase getting in to film. This board is a prime example. Everyone posts about this film and other entry level films like breathless or anything released by criterion tbqh. It makes sense when you consider the demographic of this board (18-22 year old males). Most of these people are getting into films, and the trend shows in posting.

At the end of the day, its a fashion, and a phase we all go through. If you really did enjoy the film great. If not, then don't pretend too.

My top ten combined wouldn't even reach 200 imdb votes. I've watched all entry level films, and I consider 2001 a masterpiece.

You're just a pleb.

why do anime image posters literally always have the worst opinions?

it's almost as if there's a relation between posting anime pictures and being a fucking idiot

I mean, we're on Sup Forums.
Can you blame me for assuming the worst?

You better share your list of favorite movies, then...

Why do posters who can't find their shift key or use punctuation consistently always have garbage posts? Why are they stupid enough to complain about anime on Sup Forums?

i dont care about anime on Sup Forums, i just think you're a stupid faggot

That wasn't even my post. I'm just pointing out that you're a retard.

>movie has no quips or interracial relationships
>this movie is boring how can you watch this!

yeah sure it wasn't, kys

>Movie's only remotely interesting character was a computer that had a handful of lines in the movie
You're right, that 20 minute acid trip was high cinema for intellectuals.

I see why people like it. There's good cinematography. It came out in the 60s where it had no competition. The Hal 9000 sequence is fantastic. Most of the film is boring though. I usually recommend people just to watch the Hal sequence of the film.

youtube.com/watch?v=MG-81ZCtciI

ITT: This is what happens when children discover something from the past that they problem cant grasp, much less comprehend, so they instantly have to insert their ego into a discussion to sound smart and sophisticated to each other by verbally shitting on an old masterpiece from a bygone era. Congratulations, this is truly why we can't have nice things, children. Because of you.

I know you're trying to sound smart, but it would work a lot better if you could actually spell "probably" correctly.

I am not trying to sound like anything, I'm simply giving the truth, and for the record; auto-correct is a motherfucker. But that's fine, all you do is look for something to bitch about, and you missed the message entirely. Go ahead and find something else to bitch about now, because it's all you do.

>watching films for "characters" and "plot"
Jesus Christ, kill yourself immediately pleb bastard.
/film/ when?

>the robot AI is the most interesting person.
that's the point tho

the tru pleb filter is if you skip the INTERMISSION

>Ironically, the robot AI is the most interesting person.

Missed the Fucking Point: THE POST

> Not appreciating a slow burn.
Every cut, every piece of dialogue, every static shot, they're all master strokes.

Scenes like HAL's death are straight up haunting.

youtube.com/watch?v=UgkyrW2NiwM

People criticizing the film have discussed it's strengths and weaknesses at length. The "it's a masterpiece" crowd has done nothing but fling shit like apes. Maybe if you stumble upon a monolith, you'll gain the ability to type out coherent responses.

>Thinking that nice shot composition excuses poor writing

It was a bit of intentional irony on the part of the director, but it didn't really do anything interesting with the idea of "what does it mean to be human?" and much of HAL's characterization and motivation actually got pulled from the movie. It was half baked, and the other characters weren't simply "inhumane" they were just plain boring.

not at all. The human characters are methodical desensitized and stagnant from the repetition of their long journey where as HAL is cunning brutal and manipulative.

HAL lies to complete the mission and even tries to beg and plead for his life while Dave shuts him down like an emotionless terminator. Its a demonstration of life the life that is man, that man creates (HAL) and was created by (the obelisk)

I almost never say this in sincerity but literally bro 2deep4U

I preferred it as a mystery honestly since it leaves you to infer different things. The explanation given in 2010 doesn't fit the tone of the 2001 at all.

Nice theory, except the other humans that aren't on the journey are also flat. Hate to break it to you, but you're not nearly as clever as you think. You also didn't actually refute anything I said, but just doubled down on talking up HAL.

>They had a clear idea when making the work
>But I'd prefer muddying those ideas instead of finding an interesting way to present them
Needless ambiguity is the hallmark of pseudointellectual work.

>Fighting to save your own life after your crew was all killed in the cold emptiness of space
>emotionless terminator
You're a fucking idiot.

Dude he passes Jupiter right after killing HAL. There's no room for a needless explanation and the rest of the film is steeped in ambiguity from beginning to end.

thats not an argument. Next you are going to complate that the apes or the monolith were flat TOO

Besides the movie is about a lot of things its about discovery, evolution, destiny, techology, AI, humanity. The movie isn't only about Hal and the monolith but it was clearly making a statement about how complex AI can be and how stagnant human existence can be. Missing that isn't something to really take pride in

>Expounding on the motivations and internal crisis of the one interesting character in the movie
>Needless exposition
You're right, that time was spent better on the light show.

The apes segment was dragged on, AI and humanity was a theme in the middle, evolution was present throughout, stagnation of humanity wasn't present. Explain which scenes and dialog put forth that idea. "No, you don't understaaaaaaand!" is literally not an argument.