JSA Storytime: JLI

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

MAIN MAN

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/754837005985468417
amazon.com/Vengeance-Joe-Casey-ebook/dp/B00PSN2KZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468888672&sr=8-1&keywords=vengeance joe casey
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>That arc is now being pushed back, probably to year two. Assuming we’re still around because for all we know, we’re all going to get fired as soon as this book ships. [laughs]

>Priest possibly on Deathstroke for ~2 years
what has slade done to deserve this

So, how about that trolling game by Joe Casey?

Makes me think we're definitely getting a MAC solo, so now I wanna know which America is gonna be better.

Waller is looking pretty good, squad fans

youtube.com/watch?v=smHxeRdf7oI

It's positive sigil magic apologizing for the Liefeld run, especially that #0 issue

#TeamKimye

Busiek had a good chain here about background character variation: twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/754837005985468417

So much stupid shit being said. Even Gillen got in it. But Marvel has to launch their own solo now.

Is #0 the issue where Liefeld basically "paid homage" to various panels from when NTT did his backstory?

>spoiler
same
I've been waiting forever for this

Casey has a probability approaching 1 of derailing his with puerile titillation, but it might not be boring

it'll probably be better drawn

given that EVERYONE ELSE in those teasers got one, something had to have happened, or it's been delayed, or something

I'm utterly tickled at the whole thing

Another user said it best, it's completely in the spirit of 90's Image

> Oh yeah Marvel, well I'll just go over here and do my own comic about a team of mutants!

OP is a cuck

give the people what they want

>given that EVERYONE ELSE in those teasers got one, something had to have happened, or it's been delayed, or something
I love that it will look like Marvel is ripping off an Image book, if/when they announce theirs

and the salty tears from America Chavez fans who regret wishing on the monkey paw now is delicious

Ramon said he had consultation on design of the Image one.

You've talked about orders from on high about the queers before. If a Miss America solo doesn't launch now, I don't know what else explains it.

>something had to have happened, or it's been delayed, or something

What was that one Marvel comic that got solicited but never came out, I think it was like She-Hulk and a bunch of old Kirby monsters

>What was that one Marvel comic that got solicited but never came out, I think it was like She-Hulk and a bunch of old Kirby monsters
that happened to a Cloonan drawn Dr. Doom mini not too long ago too

There was much of this "it has to be written by an X, by a Y" so much of the "I am tired of..."

They don't know shit. They liked the Gillen series. They want more of that, or more of what they have in their head. This isn't even like the Bendis Jessica Jones thing. I posted a lot in the dumb thread on the board about it.

need to know if she wears panties.

hilarious troll, i hope marvel has a good team on MAC's real book

One of the parts I'm not that worried about. Viola Davis is great

>we don't get that
>we get bendis instead
life is cruel

would take anything over bendis at this point desu

There was that Becky CLoonan DOOM book, right?

I hadn't seen this before, but it makes sense:

>“I was told that I had complete freedom on the variant covers and the only person in charge of me was the senior art director, Mark Chiarello, who I greatly respect. Win-win for everyone.

Now the variant covers are handled by entirely separate editorial office than the rest of the books. I was given assurance that I would not have to deal with the Wonder Woman book writer or editor at all, and were told I would only be dealing with Mark Chiarello.”

I wonder if wires got crossed and both Cho and Rucka got promised things that couldn't obviously be honored in both cases

>I wonder if wires got crossed and both Cho and Rucka got promised things that couldn't obviously be honored in both cases

this is what it seems like happened to me. Even tho I'm very pro-rucka/making fun of Cho

marvel's not dumb enough to have her be the one teaser character without a book though right??? Ewing/Rocafort is the dream

>real book
They're not the same character.

Can someone please explain what happened to Silver Age Supergirl?

Is she the one from Convergence, or the one from Justice League 3001?

Also, I hate to break it to you, Comics Twitter, but I guar-an-tee that Joe Casey is not aiming for, and gives zero shits about, the Kieron Gillen queer hipster demo.

Also, Casey's damn near unshameable.

I think they're both pretty ridiculous in this case.

wasn't Nick Spencer supposed to write that?

L O L

i'm actually kind of excited for his Betty and Veronica book

> marvel's not dumb enough to...
Thanks for the laugh user

Gillen spotlighted Whitley. I hated Gillen for that tweet a little bit.

Comics Twitter v Casey is gonna be funny.

I'm mostly in the Cho v Rucka thing because of the shoe being on the other foot with Choutrage

yeah

>The teenaged Victor Von Doom defends his life…in Hell. The undergrad who’ll grow to become Dr. Doom is an abrasive young genius surrounded by collegiate buffoons, wastrels, and dilettantes – like that insufferable Richards.

>But Doom knows he’s destined for greater things, and from his dorm he journeys fearlessly to Hell to save the spirit of his mom…and his struggle to get there, the trials he faces, and his subsequent failure will make him the man he’s to become.

>Nick Spencer and Becky Cloonan pull back the cloak to reveal the youthful, angsty, exuberant side of Victor Von Doom!

>Casey's damn near unshameable

It produces mixed results. Like Mark Millar he's able to get some really amazing artists to work with him

Cloonan mentioned getting burnt out on art some, I wonder if that killed it.

I am super super curious because Comicosity Guy was all "I was excited for two books this week and I'm dropping them both immediately", and i'm pretty sure they're BoP and B&V

Casey will just make fun of people in the back material.

Yeah. And he has some really good qualities, and some things to say. And then, at least for me, he manages to shit the pot in a "bless his heart, he can't help it" way every fucking time, almost.

I don't totally understand what you're asking here. I was under the impression silver age SG just became bronze age SG and then died in COIE before being reintroduced again like 20 years later.

>Casey will just make fun of people in the back material.
Whoever gets the Marvel book needs to introduce an America Chavez into it, and vice versa.

BRB, dog gotta go out

time for space dolphins

Uh, Vasquez. The confusion is already too great.

>I am super super curious because Comicosity Guy was all "I was excited for two books this week and I'm dropping them both immediately", and i'm pretty sure they're BoP and B&V
He's got interesting opinions on stuff, I am curious to see what books he's ditching and why

What do you mean? JL3001 Supergirl was implied to be Silver Age Supergirl, Convergence Supergirl was post COIE

If it's an Exiles book like I want I feel like that's required

Hope the Betty/Veronica shitstorm isn't too bad

I'm lost. What's happening?

What is the shitstorm likely to be about with Betty/Veronica and BoP? The BoP preview didn't look great.

I thought Convergence had shown that Brainiac captured pre-Crisis Supergirl before her death in COIE, and then she went back with pre-Flashpoint Clark to fix COIE. Yet, another pre-Crisis Supergirl showed up in JL3001.

>Convergence Supergirl was post COIE
Wait, did Matrix Supergirl go back to COIE with the others at the end of Convergence?

>Wait, did Matrix Supergirl go back to COIE with the others at the end of Convergence?
no, it was the one with the headband I think

One of Chavez's traits is not having any duplicate in any other universe IIRC. So luckily, we got a name change duplicate now.

I dunno, I just remember some people were miffed that Hughes is doing B/V and once the issue hits i'm sure there's something to find and point out as bad

The team that created MAC is doing an Image book starring a clear knock-off. Everyone's heads have exploded on creator's rights issues and the like.

Or do you mean in the comic

>I thought Convergence had shown that Brainiac captured pre-Crisis Supergirl before her death in COIE, and then she went back with pre-Flashpoint Clark to fix COIE.

Yeah this happened but we don't know what happened to the COIE one. Basically her and COIE Barry disappeared into a Parallax Hal construct.

>Yet, another pre-Crisis Supergirl showed up in JL3001.

Pretty sure this one is unrelated to the Convergence one.

JL3k took place on an entirely different Earth outside of the local orrery.

BoP might start up another round of TKJ outcry I guess.

How could anyone get upset over that? There are a trillion Batman and Superman knock-offs and no one bats an eye.

I feel like I need to be on Twitter to know what the hell anyone in comics is even thinking these days.

So if I'm following correctly, pre-Crisis Supergirl went back, but there's also another pre-Crisis Supergirl in the future. Makes sense.

Also makes sense, but I'm still curious as to whether I'm supposed to view JL3001 Supergirl as the same person who first debuted in the 1950s.

There was a lot of push for a specific kind of Miss America comic from Marvel already.

>Even Gillen got in it.
What'd he say?

it's tying in to the profound resentment of a lack of a Miss America solo, so you've also got all the people who just discovered the "no underwear" and "she's 15" and how 'misogynist' Casey is

(I think he's written some deeply sexist things but not in a "I'll call it misogynist" sort of way.)

I don't wonder if it's not somehow hard on/ditching the Burnside supporting cast, because I've seen some relative n00bs pretty upset at how the Bensons have talked about contrasting to that run. Welcome to comics, new teams don't have to keep the cast you liked

>Yeah this happened but we don't know what happened to the COIE one. Basically her and COIE Barry disappeared into a Parallax Hal construct.
We still haven't seen Barry or Kara in the DCU right?

I wonder if Parallax Hal is going to come back

I saw DCWKA complaining about TKJ but I figured that was related to the movie

Nope. That was it, thanks. But I am gonna ask one more (stupid) question: What is MAC referring to?

Amen. Moon Knight, Daredevil, Midnighter (not really anymore) riff off of Batman.

Just check his twitter.

>but there's also another pre-Crisis Supergirl in the future

I wouldn't think of it in these terms. It's just a Supergirl with a similar origin as Pre-Crisis rather than one literally meant to be her. Like how the Beetle and Booster weren't literally the JLI ones.

i wish every time people bitched about TKJ they'd also plug Suicide Squad.

also talk about TKJ without just that one fuck up in it plz we get it

Miss America Chavez, who was in Gillen's Young Avengers and now Ewing's Ultimates, but was created by Casey and Dragotta in a one-off mini titled Vengeance

in which she is also not a lesbian (was she actually fucking the Ultimate Nullifier? that's bad taste, for sure)

>MAC
Miss America Chavez.

>We still haven't seen Barry or Kara in the DCU right?

Correct and it's uncertain whether they even went back to E-0 like Hal, Clark, and Lois. Could have easily ended up anywhere I guess.

>Ultimate Nullifier
Such a turn-off name.

>Ewing/Rocafort
You're not that lucky.

This satisfies my character autism. I don't normally get picky about different versions of characters, but I enjoyed the Supergirl Silver Age omnibus, and wanted to know what happens next.

Sorry to interrupt, but this is the general tone of the Casey mini, and it's so ...HIM

She's wearing the costume she wore back in her very first appearance, and that's the only time period she wore that in, so I imagine it must be.

Ooooh, I see. I know Casey has DEFINITELY done some stuff that comes off as kind of creepy today, so I can totally see how someone might be turned off by it. But the guy seems more like he's just from another era and he's not intending to be malicious.

But it makes more sense that the anger is more at Marvel than Casey.

Also, IIRC Batgirl had ditched the majority of the supporting cast by the end anyway except for the black Oracle.

Not even just Marvel and DC having analogues of each other, but entire creator owned comics like Astro City and Supreme and so on are based entirely on having barely disguised versions of other characters.

I love everything about this page.

Reminder that Stacy-X was originally supposed to be called X-Stacy
lol

Thank you, Sup Forumsmrades. Is that Vengeance comic by Casey/Dragotta (super-underrated artist by the way) collected anywhere?

I mean the latter is just outright a better name.

>She's wearing the costume she wore back in her very first appearance, and that's the only time period she wore that in, so I imagine it must be.
Great, now my character autism is triggered again.

It is, but Marvel doesn't want one of their characters sharing a name with a drug.

And Now, back to our comic.

He's definitely a bit out of date, but he's not THAT old. Older people than him have improved on their sexism considerably.

how can you write a book like Sex and have all that freedom and do just nothing with the female perspective, I don't know

it's on Unlimited, I pirated the first issue and couldn't find the rest

looks like it got an HC amazon.com/Vengeance-Joe-Casey-ebook/dp/B00PSN2KZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468888672&sr=8-1&keywords=vengeance joe casey

it's not very good

It's just a visual reference.

Just covers with 15 year old girls like this where they take the drug on the first page?

His creepy also doesn't feel like it's thematically or plot relevant creepy much of the time. Gratuitous creepy. Like the leatherdudes in 3.0. So much of 3.0.

One of the things that gets me a little about Whitley highlighting, and Gillen retroactively saying he was highlighting, Miss America's ethnicity and extra-dimensional nature are well, okay, but that was actually Casey that drew that up. Much as you might have hated the execution.

Is this actually the best Lobo entrance ever?

Was Casey's run on X-Men worth reading? I've been interested in his Stacy-X character. She's a bit notorious on Sup Forums. Also, X-user, you rock!

BEST.

and I guess Dragotta wants a break from EoW?

Yeah, I get that Gillen/McKelvie did define her for the current audience, but...not a blank slate. The short shorts are Jamie, but the big-ass hoop earrings were Nick.

was she extradimensional in Vengeance? I can't say I really want to re-read it

>I don't wonder if it's not somehow hard on/ditching the Burnside supporting cast, because I've seen some relative n00bs pretty upset at how the Bensons have talked about contrasting to that run. Welcome to comics, new teams don't have to keep the cast you liked

I would think that's the responsibility of the actual Batgirl book to consider rather than a team book though. Like I guess people are mad because Babs has her moniker in the title? Like certainly no one expects this to be like Grayson or the BC ongoing just because of Helena and Dinah also starring in the book.

it's good to be back

no storytime tomorrow

sorry :(

Not particularly. He even disowned it himself years later saying he only took on the job to raise his profile and had no particular fondness for the X-Men.

It's cool. I hope you're enjoying starving us.

my schedule is not really under my control at the moment, alas, but we'll be on after that for a while

Thanks. Damn shame. I understand the other Man of Action guys felt similarly.

>Dragotta wants a break from EoW
I wonder if Hickman just isn't a great creative partner for a long run. I remember some weird drama going on in Manhattan Projects with the artist being unhappy

That's fine, I need to sleep eventually anyway.

I had to cut on East of West, it started to drag badly for me.

I was being sincere - I can't even imagine storytiming as consistently as you do. If you have something that's different on, I hope it's enjoyable too.

Kelly/Seagle was actually all right, though plagued a bit by editorial problems. Their runs both got them jobs on Superman (Kelly, accidentally; the editor really wanted Seagle but got the two confused).

>Was Casey's run on X-Men worth reading?
It was alright, nothing special. He created the X-Corps, which Morrison later used in his own run, so that was kinda neat I guess.

>Also, X-user, you rock!
Oh gosh user, you're gonna make me blush.

it's kept me sane the past few years, but I am finding myself unexpectedly busy now!

(and I didn't get done today what I needed to)

FUCK YEAH BIG BARDA