Was this HBO'S biggest flop?

Was this HBO'S biggest flop?

Luck

deadwood was killed for this

No.

This show was good, actually. The finale didn't really work but the first six or seven eps are criminally underrated.

Agreed... they fucked up so badly.

In the very first episode a character gets wacked in a very Scorsese/HBO/Sopranos fashion, and it just dragged on endlessly.

It had potential, HBO should've given it another season at least.

No. Deadwood was killed because it was too expensive. I know several people who worked on the show.

Oh look at you Mr "I know people and have friends" well la-dee-da!

NO. Deadwood was KILLED for THIS SHIT SHOW. You don't know the history of Deadwood, I do.

No. Abominations deserve to be killed.

Not true. Milch and Jim Beaver were on both shows. This show was a consolation for Milch for the cancellation of Deadwood.

So the same story as Rome, huh?

Those period dramas can be expensive but can be a cash cow if done right.

Better question, when is the last time HBO put out a show worth watching?

That's the shore story. You don't see deeply. JfC was Milch's vanity project and he desperately wanted to make it, to the point of sacrificing Deadwood.

Luck was great, it was the horse whiners that shut that show down.

>he desperately wanted to make it, to the point of sacrificing Deadwood.
No, that's not what happened.

The Young Pope, but it's only partially an HBO show.

Smirkfu's tiddies

TD S1 was worth watching but it doesn't hold a candle. And even that failed with S2.

All their shows went to shit. 2010 looked good, Boardwalk, GoT but we all know how things turned out for those shows. At GoT is a massive success.

Game of Thrones is a commercial success, nothing more.

Yup, this is exactly what happened.

That's what I meant. And it's the only kind of success HBO cares about. Even though some people praise it's still obliviously a pile of shit after S1 and got progressively worse to the point where it's comical.

I hope we agree that GoT S1 was a respectful effort from HBO and things only turned to shit later on but for a while there was some glimmer of hope.

This show had a fascinating premise, but it lacked plot discipline, and apparently they ate up their production budget faster than the network had expected.

The premise wasn't that fascinating.

HBO doesn't seem to have any real interest in cultivating experiences anymore. GoT was honestly never good though, thanks in large part to the poor source material.

I'm not familiar with the novels, but as a show, GoT got worse as it progressed. Season 1 had a strong narrative arc up to the execution. It was a fine dramatic tragedy.

But now, it's a shambling mess. It lost its structure and just seems to be stumbling from one thing to another without any great reason for doing so.

Sounds like so many other shows. Hell on Wheels, while not HBO, is a good example of shows just going way off track from their beginnings.

>HBO doesn't seem to have any real interest in cultivating experiences anymore.

The departure of Brad Grey was the beginning of the end for them.

There was a wealth of great ideas that couldn't be produced on network television. HBO snapped them up and gave the showrunners the creative freedom to develop long-term stories in unconventional periods of time. Networks and lesser cable networks have now learned to mimic that model and the pool of quality is now more widespread and watered down.

Disagree on source material but even if you think that, GoT S1 was the best TV adaption anyone could ever ask for. It really only has a few shortcomings in that regard. Even if you didn't care much for it or the source material you still have to respect the effort that made all possible

>It will never be time for Mitch Yost to get back in the game

No, it's really not.

It is, trust me on this.

Maybe because there's so many more channels and companies now I'm just expecting more well executed shows. But it's easy to cherry pick from several decades, so maybe this is normal.

It doesn't matter how good of an adaptation it is if the source is bad. It's doomed to fail.

the source isn't bad

Doesn't really matter either way because the show is now...well, you've seen it.

>Boardwalk Empire died for this

Boardwalk Empire deserved to die

Those books started going downhill hard after 3. It's no surprise they deviating wildly from the books at this point.

Well maybe you don't like the last two books but the show simply made those stories a million times worse and included shit that didn't even happen. The show is just a bunch of meme actors doing their meme characters at this point with some pms feminism thrown in.

Carnivale was maximum cozy

I'd say it jumped the shark after S4. It neatly tied up about 90% of everything that happened beforehand, and the new stuff just hasn't measured up.

There is an indisputable rule when it comes to all HBO exclusive programming.

It ALWAYS ends in disappointment. It doesn't matter how good the show was during its series run, the finale will always be a disappointment.

The ending was the best part of Six Feet Under.

You mean it was put out of it's misery? Should have ended after Jimmy.

This to be quite honest family. Of course, that happened like 14 years ago.

I remember when this show first aired and kept reading the same imbecilic comments as a few from this thread: 'deadwood died for this shit show'. What the fuck? I cannot understand how someone can appreciate the prose and spirit of Deadwood and not love JFC just as much if not more. It's Milch at his purest and most brilliant. This show has to be the most underrated masterpiece ever produced for television. It's on par with Twilight Zone or The Prisoner, not some mediocre trendy shit like Lost or whatever. Right now you got all these retards raving about senile Lynch doing Twin Peaks season 3 but JFC was the closest thing to TV auteur arthouse, pure poetry and experimental theater, the truest of pleb filter. I'm glad Deadwood died for it.

Deadwood was more of a collaboration of great writers.

JFC was just pure Milch shit. The whole "Johnny will soon be gone" shit was awful. And there was some really bad casting on that show.

The Leftovers s3 is kino