Comic Artist you just can't stand

Okay guys, give me some of the comic artists you hated the most.
I'll start:
Salvador Larroca (Fucking hell, he drew a shit ton of Iron Man, pic related)

Other urls found in this thread:

viewcomic.com/witchblade-119-2008/
viewcomic.com/witchblade-132-2009/
viewcomic.com/witchblade-146-2011/
viewcomic.com/sensation-comics-featuring-wonder-woman-045-2015/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ramos
a
m
o
s

Your mom.

My god, i know right?
fucking ugly spider man

Jae Lee

Ivan Reis
Modern Doug Mahnke
Brett Booth
Mikel Janin
Mike Deodato
Chip Zdarsky

Hate it when they try to make things look too real.

I understand most of these, but Ivan Reis is solid. Great storyteller, great expressive body language in his figures, and detail.

The coloring in Larroca's first Iron Man arc is shit but the suits. He also copy-pasted a fucking iPhone there, and he uses images retrieved from Google.

>too real
I don't have a problem with realistic, just poor storytelling ability. Reis' skillet seems to just be that he can draw lots of characters on a splash page and the ability to put lots of lines on a page. He reminds me a lot of modern Jim Lee

What do you think about based Ross then?

I think he draws stiff boring comics full of his friends in bad costumes

I like Ivan Reis but otherwise this is a solid list

Off yourself, my man.

I'm just not big on Bryan Hitch. Maybe it's his coloring? His characters always look like they're in some sort of dimly lit room.

I hate this widescreen cinematic approach he takes

This, his Batman/Superman

but that is easily one of his best works, i´d understand if you said so of his sentry or his fantastic 4

He can draw ok, but he doesn't even try on Spider-Man anymore.

Yeah I don't really get how he was so popular and influential either. But Liefeld was too, so comic readers in the 90's and early 2000's must have had godawful taste.

Cho, that chauvinistic pig

Back to /tumblr/, Greg Cucka.

Steve Dillon, sometimes.

Ramos is a big one that I hate, but Erica Henderson and whoever did this is way worse. Also whoever did vote Loki.

It was fucking terrible

90% of tge backgrouds were just orange and blue wallpaper and the characters looked like shadow people from kingdom hearts. The backgrounds were so shitty, I had a hard time telling that Bats and Supes transported to Earth 2.

THIS

His Thunderbolts was so horrible.

I think he's good, but he needs to stay away from superhero comics. His style is too creepy for them.

Cho is in the right. He was specifically told that there would be no interference by Rucka. It was even in his contract. And Rucka interfered. Cho has every right to be mad, even if the change was minor.

Seriously why does Marvel keep hiring these hacks? Why not hire someone like that guy who does Sunstone and Rat Queens. His art is phenominal.

You know what pisses me off. I am friends with a few artists who are a hundred times the talent that Henderson is. It depresses me that she gets hire while better hard working artists get passed over.

>His art is phenominal.

how do these people get these jobs?
obligatory squirrel girl I think she did a jughead comic as well.

And this isn't the first time Rucka pulled this shit. He did the same thing to Hugh's.

Seriously, why is it whenever he goes to DC he becomes a controlling douche but is chill (well chillish) at Marvel? Does DC give him too much power?

It's all about who you know, man.

>Why not hire someone like that guy who does Sunstone and Rat Queens

You assume that everyone is lining up to work for Marvel. The ability to make it in creator owned means artists aren't forced to go to the Big 2 to survive anymore.

At this point only two types of people work for the Big 2. Super fans who got into comics to work on their favorite characters and people who just want to get their name established with readers before taking off on their own

Frank Face is awesome.

Greg Land

Post 2000 Frank Miller.

I'd say Deodato can be competent

but wtf is wrong with Ivan Reis?
He's great!

Besides everything else in this thread:
-(basically every big 2 house style fag)
-Ariel Olivetti
-Mike Deodato
-J Scott Campbell
-Andrea Sorrentino

I will fight anyone who doesn't like Fiffe

JRJR

I dont see his appeal. His faces are fucking awful.

I dont understand how anybody can see this and think its good.

Any artist who can't do movement
I should be able to tell from each panel the movements. I should never be confused or unsure when art is concerned

Except he has vastly better anatomy, facial expressions, paneling, detail, movement then Jim Lee does.

But Liefeld was incompetent in everything way imaginable.
Hitch on Ultimates 1 & 2 wasn't Incompetent in anyway.
Especially not Anatomy.

What really bugs me about Larroca is the fact that his Tony clearly is Josh Holloway. Fucking tracer.

Yes it factually is.
Read his Witchblade run.

What's wrong with Olivetti? His work on the Space Ghost mini was awesome.

How about his interior comic book art?

>I don't really get how he was so popular and influential either

He drew two of the biggest modern team books and brought "widescreen" comics to the mainstream. Unlike Leifeld he has a solid grasp of anatomy and storytelling.

Even if they don't do anything uniquely comic book with the art Ellis' Authority and Ultimates 1 and 2 are a blast to read and a lot of that is the result of Hitch's action movie sensibilities

Flip thru some issues here.
viewcomic.com/witchblade-119-2008/
viewcomic.com/witchblade-132-2009/
viewcomic.com/witchblade-146-2011/

He used to be good, but his art has gotten more and more blocky over time. He's still pretty good at action if you don't pay attention to the fucked up faces.

sorrentino

>not mentioning Rat Queens, Switch, Sunstone, and all other comics that guy drew not named Witchblade

Felipe Andrade. Fucker makes people look like turtles.

FOUND IT, I have found the worst artist ever to grace a comic page...
viewcomic.com/sensation-comics-featuring-wonder-woman-045-2015/

Thank god 2 issues later that disturbing thing was replaced by this awesomeness.

Irene Koh (Batgirl)

Laura Braga

Go look at his older stuff and check out THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE LAST CRUSADE what he just did.

Literally blown away by how good he was for once.

thicc

jej

did they just publish the layouts

I remember him on ASM. Somehow he managed to draw May to be prettier than MJ.

LIVIO

RAMONDELLI.

STOP

USING HIM.

Frank Quietly and his bastard offspring Burnham and Villalobos.

Good art, bad storytelling.

Why is she grabbing her shin in panel 5? How does that at all relate to the panels 4 and 6? Why is the lasso everywhere and still doing nothing?

Cooke

what do you think about ian bertram

This. Even Liefeld didn't just trace the SAME picture over and over.

I can't get too upset at Liefeld, he's too hilarious. I might be more butthurt if I'd ever had to work with him, as he is apparently a pretty horrible human being.

Mike Deodato Jr.
He pretty much killed Peter David's run on Hulk, and it's like William Messnr-Loebs just saw the art on Wonder Woman and gave up.

Gerard Ashworth.
He's just this one Australian small press cartoonist who takes the whole CRAFT IS THE ENEMY philosophy so seriously that he deliberately draws as badly as possible just as an insult to artists, because artists are scum. There was an actual moment in his comics where he said FUCK IT and stopped trying to draw. He's kind of like if Chris-Chan fucked Liefeld and they had a kid who read too much Kathy Acker.

Vince Colletta was probably the most hated artist by other artists. When he was inking he used to erase backgrounds he didn't feel like drawing. Steve Ditko used to make a point of going through the sample issues at DC's offices, and if he saw Colletta's credit on a book, he'd tear it in two and deposit it in the trash. I remember when Colletta died Big Blown Baby had a joke about him burning in hell.

why?

Jim Shooter is probably the most hated editor, and Mark Millar the most hated writer, among professionals. They seem to have ruffled a few feathers, stepped on a few toes. Or faces.

Out of the web cartoonists, Fred Gallagher. It's not just that Piro can't draw facial expressions, and his style is such an awkward wapanese mess, and he passes pencils off as finished art, it's not just that he draws himself as a pixie-like femboi who is irresistible to women, and has Japanese schoolgirls fawning over him and what a great artist he is, it's the Largo backstab.
I know that's old news, but you just don't open negotiations with a letter from your lawyer, that's sub-Tarja-Turunen-Nightwish-open-letter-dismissal behaviour. Then writing your former collaborator's expie as an even bigger jerk, that's Chris-Chan-level narcissism. The actual shitty artwork is just the wank-icing on a huge shit-cake of unprofessional behaviour, lethargic production rates and public sympathy whoring.

Ctrl-Art-Del, like Liefeld, is just too hilarious to get worked up about. He not only fails at simple comic timing on a four panel gag strip, have you seen his nudes? The man is a literal pear. He has the physique of The Grinch. Child-bearing hips, ropes for arms.

RHJunior. I waver between finding him hilarious for being a fundie Christian furry who got kicked out of Burntfurs, and genuine hatred over his view that AIDS is God's plague on the wicked. His actual comics are pretty crap, too, his author filibusters approach Terry Goodkind levels.

Shit taste.

I actually liked Larroca in the 00s, he had a mix of Roger Cruz and Chris Bachalo

When was Carol an asian?

It's because of the colors -- he does fine if it's flat colors, but now that we have detailed bullshit, he can't compare

Ramos & Booth

>Colleta usually fucked pencils of Kirby, Tuska, and some other artists just to get their books on schedule

Henderson, Land, Larroca, Deodato, Marquez,

Tracer, very stiff expressions and models.

These but...
>Marquez
Why?

but he does have really creative paneling and sense of composure when it comes to action scenes
is he a tracer? I didn't know
but I do agree that everyone always looks pretty stiff, like they're modeling or in a play

he ahs nice composition but I just find it ugly, he also re-uses a bunch of stuff from his precious work to keep a monthly schedule

>he also re-uses a bunch of stuff from his precious work to keep a monthly schedule
So he's also one of the copy-paste artists like Larroca (for backgrounds and some objects) and Deodato.

Oh i've only read his Green Arrow and X-Men so I guess I haven't noticed that
I just think he's fantastic and had no idea people didn't like him
thought he was one of the big up and coming artists

Ramos
John Romita Jr
Steve Dillion his earlier stuff is alright
Joe Maduria and every artist in the 90s that tried to copy his art

JR and Dillion suffer mostly from shit scripts and/or poor colouring that does not compliment their work.

Nah, Dillon is just plain bad.

J. Scott Campbell - As far as cheesecake artists go, I'd rather take Frank Cho over JSC. At least Cho doesn't draw broken ballerina feet and his girls are thick enough that they don't look like they're going to snap at the waist. In fairness, JSC is good with little details here and there, but that's about it.

Erica Henderson - I'm all for supporting non-house styles for the Big Two, but I think Erica is way out of her element. She works better on a book like Jughead than a superhero book, but that's just me. At the very least, I think she'd be better suited on a creator-owned book that plays to her strengths (whatever they may be).

Mike Deodato Jr. - I honest to God do not have any issues with people using 3D model programs like Poser or Daz Studio to help with certain aspects of art. But Deodato blatantly uses Poser models and the comic book filter that comes with the program, and it's sickening. What's even sadder is that the guy used to be able to draw decently: even if his 90's stuff was average at best, it's still better than what he's churned out today. What the hell happened?

Salvador Larocca - Same thing as above: sure, his run on X-Men a few years back was average looking at best, but then he completely changed and went to this uncanny valley realism shit that just makes my skin crawl at times. Again... what happened?

Alex Ross - His stuff just isn't my cup of tea. I'll agree that he's great for old school, Silver Age pin up-type deals, but otherwise there's nothing else to write home about his work: when you've seen one or two Alex Ross drawings/paintings, you've pretty much seen them all.

haha, kill yourself faggot

THANK YOU!!

He can't into backgrounds, where he just makes it all misty/foggy, and his storytelling is so flat and stale.

I actually like really like both JRJR and Ramos' early work on Spider-Man, those were my favorite artists as a kid.

JRJR can be very good when he wants, and I think Ramos had a more deliberately exaggerated and 'ugly' style, rather than today where he just does completely flat cutouts with minimal effort.

The sad thing is that Natasha Allegri isn't all that bad (or at least, used to not be that bad). Her art only started going down the tubes after Bee and Puppycat and it just stagnated from there.

(Pic related, she drew this 4 years ago)

Romita just needs a inker good enough to reign in his pencils

that is interior art. Though he doesn't do that level of art of everything anymore, just takes too much time for the sales he gets. This is from his latest spin off of witchblade. It's still great art but not as crazy good and probably crazy time consuming as if from Ravine, which I just found the first two trades for a total of $20. Had to buy it, it's a great story and the dragons in it are to die for.

>Though he doesn't do that level of art of everything anymore, just takes too much time for the sales he gets
Illness (which took him off Rat Queens) happened.

don't always need backgrounds for stuff. But he over uses the misty background, even a flat colour could be more useful for setting a tone

he used to be good, Id recommend you find that Uncanny X-Men from the 80s in which Wolverine makes the Juggernaut beat the shit out of Colossus in a bar fight because Colossus had hurt the feelings of Kitty Pryde.

it is 183

his new 52 superman is really bad, I agree on that