Spiderfag General

Let's whine about Slott, post pictures of Peter suffering, storytime and recommend comics.

Also, post your ultimate comfy Spider-Man reading setup.

youtube.com/watch?v=tFOxribt3kA&list=PL68A9A64F6AE42454
noisli.com/
broadcastify.com/listen/feed/9466/web
broadcastify.com/listen/feed/1189/web
broadcastify.com/listen/feed/9358/web

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cgnwZKXRsHo
behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Spider-Man/
youtube.com/watch?v=i5P8lrgBtcU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To start off a discussion, what do you guys think about the new Spidey? I think it's alright but it doesn't have the same charm Marvel Adventures Spider-Man had.

>Reading ASM after Conway.

That's just sad.

>that terrible feel when you missed the announcement tween by 8 minutes
Pic related arrived yesterday and I absolutely adore it, but dat variant tho.. .

>*tweet
Variant for comparison.

>Implying Superior Spider-Man wasn't incredible.

>Spiderfag general.

Now this is a general I can get behind.

>Reading a Spider book with this playing in the background. youtube.com/watch?v=cgnwZKXRsHo

>Opening up this site. behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Spider-Man/

It was pretty good, nice teen Spider book. Not great though, just good and fun.

I like Slott. I like new ASM. :(

How and why?

Can we not have Peter be a global crime fighter. It just doesn't fit him, it feels wrong. Peter's power set is literally tailored to the streets. Have him go back to being a teacher or make him the CEO of the Daily Bugle.

Spider man is cancer only behind batman

This

Hipsters incoming.

Peter as the Bugle CEO could be the shit if done right. But I think I'm comfortable with him being a teacher. It can take the character back to his roots with the whole teen drama aspect and still have him progress as a character.

I absolutely love the art, but the writing is piss poor. I hope the artist moves on to something better

> I am literally Coldsteel the edgehog

Spiderman on the avengers in a mistake. Crossovers work but that's it

What's your favorite "lost" part of Spidey, aka something that played a part in his character early on but has since been lost.

I miss the Spider-signal and the webpits personally, but I doubt we'll ever see either of them again.

He currently has webpits though.

I miss when he actually had a character. 4 years ago.

I've been enjoying Spidey. Light and fun, with one and done stories and a strong Marvel Adventures vibe. You can pick it up anywhere, and it's perfect for both adults and kids. Moreover, it's the only Spider-Man title out there that *feels* like a Spider-Man book (no dorky Tony Stark 2.0, no race replacements, no alternate Spidey from the future or another dimension). This is the real deal.

But it definitely has been uneven in terms of the writing and artwork. Nick Bradshaw was killing it and putting out some of the best art for a Spidey book when it started. But after three issues, he got replaced by Andre Lima Araujo (issue #4 through #7) who was just awful. The sales numbers dropped off as a result Now they've got Nathan Stockman doing the art chores, and he's got a pretty cool Steve Ditko-esque vibe that matches up well with Bradshaw's original effort. Thompson's writing is generally fun, with issue #8 being one of his best issues -- but sometimes it doesn't seem focused. One minute, Gwen is punching out Flash in the school hallway (which was ridiculous), the next they're dating, and the next they're just friends. Peter tries to figure out how to ask Gwen to a Winter Formal at school that never happens. And so on.

But I'll gladly take it. I just hope that Marvel does not decide to cancel the book. It deserves to keep going for at least another year with Stockman doing the art, just to see if they can lock down an audience for it.

I'm already reading it. See I don't like Gwen's characterization there but Peter as a character is solid. Villain designs are also cool as fuck.

Much agreed. Making him the suit and tie CEO of the Bugle (what fun it would be to have him turning the tables on Jameson by being his boss) which would keep his finger on the pulse of emergencies, or even a young assistant editor at the paper, would be great.

But Pete is a street level hero and should be more of a loner. The current Spider-Man feels like what Moonraker was to James Bond. Overblown.

>I don't like Gwen's characterization there but Peter as a character is solid. Villain designs are also cool as fuck.

Absolutely!

I feel like this is a stealth Spider-Man: Homecoming comic book. Just look at Peter, he looks exactly like Tom Holland in there.

Oops.. posted the wrong pic...

Stockman's Electro is... intimidating.

He does. All they would need to do is alter the costume to the movie version, and it would totally be Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Spidey is fun as all get out. If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend picking up the next issue.

thats fine. I hate it with a passion, but if you enjoy it, cool. But like seriously we need a new writer, Slott's been on it for too long.

All of Roger Moore was overblown.

Yes for teacher.

Nah, if we made Peter CEO of the Bugle I want Jameson to be the one who gives him the position. Almost like he's earned it.

I hope we get some Parker bros shenanigans amidst the drama with the upcoming Dead no More arc in the fall.

I like to imagine that the symbiote is just a jealous ex of Peter trying to get back at him.

Wouldn't say "piss poor." It's not trying to be anything deep. It's harmless.

Maybe we'll get the trio back for some shenanigans.

i am reading through superior right now and i am all caught up on spidey. what are some good spider-man recs Sup Forums? doesnt have to be pete either, im open to any and all spiders, but not spider-woman, she doesnt really interest me.

JMS run is usually the go to. Don't read the Lee stuff unless you okay with some major camp. And a massive plot hole in that one alien story with the Tinkerer. Man that really pissed me off.

good thing ive been reading him int hat book as Tom

JMS, Stan Lee, Roger Stern, Peter David, J.M. Dematteis, Gerry Conway. Any of their runs.

what sort of camp are we talkin here? spidey and camp can go together like white on rice, but obv within reason. so is it more like batman 66 or batman forever?

Need to fight villain so I'll invent a special serum in under a minuet to fight him type camp. I enjoyed the fuck out of the Lee run, but whenever any of my friends read any Lee Spidey they just couldn't finish.

oh just normal old comic shit. cool, thanks guys

>Have Peter as the only Spider-Man (since he's the real one)
>Kaine and Ben as his Scarlet Spider brothers
>kill off/retcon the rest

Sounds good to me.

That's just comics. Your friends are faggots.

youtube.com/watch?v=i5P8lrgBtcU

here guys.

lmao what, Lee run is great. Don't listen to this guy. Yeah there's 60s comics shenanigans in there, of course there are but there's also a LOT of great building blocks in there that make Spider-man SPIDER-MAN.

Am I the only one who likes Slott?

Also Anti-Venom is so hot, it's a shame he's never coming back.

I may have a good news for you, user

I want Peter to get MJ pregnant again..

Who's your favorite Spider-Man villain. My is Doc Ock with Mysterio in second place.
I like about 70% of his stuff. I recently started buying Superior trades in my native language and, man, it reads way better in trade. And he created some cool villains.

>Iron Man gonna be in homecoming
>Vulture is the rumored villain
>this comes out
>plot of the issue is Peter mustering up the balls to ask Gwen to the dance
Coincidence? I think NOT

>thinking Superior was incredible
The mark of a true casual.

>Guise, I'm definitely not 100% casual. Giuse, I p-promise its true!

I hate to admit it, but this legit made me laugh out loud.

What issue is this from?

Early McFarlane ain't bad. Abort when you hit the 90s. His spidergirl stuff is good till its relaunched into Amazing. That April clone shit sucked.

Man, user. I'm not a big fan of DeFalco, but even I can differentiate between him and McFarlane.

>His spidergirl
McFarlane has literally nothing to do with Spider-Girl.

First issue of Bendis' New Avengers I think

>I'm not a big fan of DeFalco
Why? He wrote some amazing stuff. Did you not like the early stuff he did like 'Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut' or all the Hobgoblin stuff he was apart of or the Tarantula arc or the original Alien Costume Saga?

DeFalco's 80's stuff and Spider-Girl stuff is fantastic. The 90's stories he was apart of were hit or miss. But I feel like that has more to do with editorial mandate and less to do with his own writing.

Pic related?

Never read any Spidey Comics from when Gwen was still Alive.

Was she a good character or just a random girlfriend? Some story arcs where she had a role or something?

According to the one-above-all, he eventually will

>cool villians

Mr. Negative is only one person tasteless user.

Yea

Honestly...She hadn't much character progression. But Gwens from other universes are usually best girl of that place so...

Shitty bland girlfriend who could not hold a candle to MJ or Felicia, but who Marvel and dipshit Emma Stone Nazis put on a god-like pedestal.

I have this doubt too. I basically know nothing about her before her death...

We can hope Marvel are going to pull a DC and reveal the RYV Parkers have been the real ones the whole time, only they were time displaced and given memory alterations

>Was she a good character or just a random girlfriend?

She was really just "generic superhero girlfriend". She wasn't -bad-, but nor was she particularly exciting to read. She just... was.

Gwen should have been famous before Emma Stone came; or we would never had things like Spiderman: Blue.

she was just fine

Personally they could just kill the 616 one and bring the 18119 protagonists in the main universe
If it wasn't that that would mean that eventually they would bring the 616 one back

It's mostly the Marvel editors that are head other heels about her most likely because she was the girlfriend when they were teenagers reading ASM so they will push her in any way possible

Damn, i wish 90s and 00S Teenagers will bring back MJ someday. Married Peter is the shit.

Not the '90s teenagers, but the one that killed Gwen Stacy is bringing back the marriage

>is bringing back the marriage
In an AU. Renew Your Vows isn't 616.

>like 'Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut'
>DeFalco
user, please. Stop embarrassing yourself.
And for me DeFalco was just OK. Even at his best he wrote just OK comics.

She was at her best early, when they gave her a real temper and it seemed like she won't take any of Parker's shit.
Than they made her kinda generic. But, to be honest, MJ was super generic 'fun girl' until Conway started pushing her hard.

DeFalco was the editor on Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut.

Sure, it's not 616, but does it matter?
Good series are good series independently from the expanded universe they're placed in, as shown by the fact that many of the best DC stories are placed in elseworlds
The only thing that matters, as far as Marvel goes, is that the book sells and if it's really successful maybe they'll create MC2.0

Yes, but he didn't wrote it. By that logic Wacker is a brilliant writer because he edited 52 and Fraction's Hawkeye.
Paper Doll was cool, too.

>didn't wrote it
You might need to find an editor for yourself. :^)

>but does it matter?
Yes, it absolutely does. AUs have a much shorter life span and have a tendency to get forgotten quickly.

This will go on as long as it's successful
Also if they see that this sell they will certainly bring the marriage back even in the 616verse

>AUs have a much shorter life span and have a tendency to get forgotten quickly.

Some are never forgotten like Batman Beyond for exemple.

Spider-Man 2099 is still around user. You forget the age old creed, "Bitches love Spider-Man". This is gonna be fine

Different user, but RYV's only real hook was nostalgia. Which was OK for mini, but not good enough for ongoing. And Conway always jumped between brilliant and garbage in quality.
To be honest, it came back in the middle of top-seller series that people either loved or hate-read.. And it had butchered come back before. AND 2099 isn't that popular now sales-wise.

She was written to be "the girl" and therefore as bland as fuck when she wasn't actively annoying (crying at the drop of a hat, whining about why won't Peter propose, etc.)

why is that how all super GFs started? as cold hard bitches? i love it

>comparing sack of shit hack Slott to a real writer like Conway

Renew Tour Vows will find its story. And will be 10000x better written than than the festering crap Slott pumps out of his slot.

Sorry I mixed it up between Defalco and McFarlane. Just have super shoddy memory. My fault.

>Also if they see that this sell they will certainly bring the marriage back even in the 616verse

People have been saying this for, what, a decade now? Its just not true.

>like Batman Beyond
And when was the last time anyone actually did anything GOOD with Batman Beyond?

Nah. Pym fell in love with Janet because she looked like his dead wife and his assistant...Man, Hank has issues.
Jane Foster wanted to fuck Loki in his first appearance.

>and garbage in quality
What has Conway done that is garbage?

Everything I've personally read of his has been excellent. Everything he's done recently (Spiral, Carnage ongoing, etc) has been excellent.