Planet of the Apes thread

These prequel movies are some of the best blockbusters in years, why don't these films get as much hype as other big franchises?

Rise and Dawn were way better than the new Star Wars movies IMO and War is looking to make this a great trilogy.

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/movies/2017/06/08/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-nova-trailer/
youtu.be/X6x-QSinrUU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because sometimes it looks like we're living it

I've given up on blockbusters entirely desu

the last one was fantastic, new star wars is absolute b movie tier garbage compared to that flick. like it's not even close.

dawn was an exceptionally crafted war drama, tfa and rogue one were literally just nostalgia bait with some strong womyn thrown in.

Do we really need the third one though? The first two already showed us how the original movies ended up happening. This one is just going to be a war and we already know who wins so no new information and no tension.

ew.com/movies/2017/06/08/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-nova-trailer/
watch the video
>loli ape sympathizer get adopted
>something is gonna happen to maurice and break my heart
>she's mute and the basis for the enslavement of humans afterwards
>cartoon monkeys are so fucking advanced they are giving better feels than half of actual real life actors in other movies
I am ready for the return of monkino. I'll always have Koba in my heart. cant wait for it to come out.
everyone is saying its on par with LOTR as far as a trilogy finale goes.
get hyped for some human work.
>also saw baby driver today. it was pretty good. just go into it blind and dont expect much and you'll be really pleasantly surprised.

>so no new information and no tension.
>Do we really need the third one though?
oh ye of little faith. you think we've seen the transformation?
nah nigga. here caesar is gonna live up to his fucking namesake finally. become brutal. wipe out all humans kicking in doors and blasting people with super secret ninja monkey tier one operators. gorilla grodd with an m4.
woody harrelson is gonna fuck around and get humanity into a war it cant win. and there will be traitors on both sides of the evolutionary divide. fuck Im hyped on this movie. Im also glad to find out both the previous movies did really well at the box office.

I dont really like it because the apes are like the bad guys and they always win

>why don't these films get as much hype as other big franchises?
Are you retarded? Because they are movies about fucking chimps, that may have worked in the 60s when people loved that shit, but today no one will look at a movie about chimps taking over the world and take it seriously. The fact that those movies really good is a miracle.

Stop making this thread every day OP your shilling is getting old

I remember Dawn being called "The Dark Knight" of the franchise. It was hyped, got great reviews, and was a great movie.

Doesn't the reboot trilogy take place in an alternate timeline?

you are such a fucking shill holy shit.

every day with the same fucking angle

Even if chimps suddenly became smart, their fine motor control is shocking by human standards, they'd struggled to operate firearms effectively.

Plus the combination of retaining chimp athleticism and gaining human-tier neuron density would make them extremely calorie demanding.

They'd be far more vulnerable to starvation than humans which would limit their population growth dramatically, just like neanderthals who likely needed about 5,000kcal per day compared to a neolithic human's 3,000kcal.

youtu.be/X6x-QSinrUU

Bad Ape is how you do a comedic relief right.

Wow, a shockingly intelligent post.

Rise includes news footage of a ship launching for Mars, meant to allow for the original "crash land on future earth" story in a sequel at some point.

They might not have mapped out a concrete plan for the series at that point though

>fine motor control is shocking by human standards

If the drug/virus can enhance their brains, it's not much of a stretch to think it can enhance the nervous system too.

As far as i know the virus affected only the brain function. So why do the apes speak ?

it doesn't have the meme status with subhuman normies and Gen Z shit suckers likes Star Wars, Apple, iPhone, Nintendo Mario etc. does that triggers them into herd mentality where they want to belong to the rest of the human feces pool and partake in their cultural scat shitting.

Though you're right, the difference in vocal cords etc makes it unrealistic, it's worth noting they don't speak right away. It's something they gain very gradually. Caesar doesn't speak fluent English for most of Dawn, he goes most of the movie only speaking one or two words at a time.

They're great movies but the reasons they don't get talked about as much as movies like Star Wars is because: 1, the main characters are mostly apes - not like cute furries but realistic looking animals; 2, the movies aren't fantastical or lighthearted enough - look at almost all the super popular movies with huge fanbases, it's stuff like Star Wars, Marvel movies, Disney, etc.

They're not discussed much because most discussion of the newer apes movies devolves into Sup Forums shitposting about how the apes = black people.

>haha, apes behaving violently? reminds you of Furgeson doesn't it? haha, chimpout, get it? hahaha

Oh, so in between the time of present day Earth and "Apes" 1, this new trilogy takes place?

WE

>see Dawn with gf
>"the main one is kinda attractive"
>"the chimp? Caesar?"
>"yeah, the leader one. I know it's a monkey but it's kinda attractive in a way"
>movie keeps playing for a while, then she asks "don't you think?"
>this is a trick female question, answer can be interpreted in many ways, try to be careful to not outright say "no lol you chimpslut" or "yeah the monkey is hot"
>"well, it's andy serkis under there, he's a handsome guy"
>she just responds with "Mm." and keeps staring at the screen

I think I got mentally cucked by Caesar.
If she asks for monkey noises tonight, I'll know for sure.

ARE NOT APE

"its not him that's attractive, it's his demeanor, his commanding presence"
"I'll try to be more like that for you"

there, faggot. now lie awake wishing you had said something along those lines instead of complimenting the looks of another male you closet homo

tfw no monkey gf to peel your dick

RIP buck

oh no!

Yes, though the new trilogy might not exactly consider the old movies to be canon. If it ever gets to that original story, it would probably be a remake with significant changes.

The little blonde girl in War is named "Nova", and if she's supposed to be the same Nova from the 1968 movie, that's a big difference, the crash landing story would have to happen only 20 or 30 years in the future instead of 2,000 years.

I'd like to see a fourth movie tackle the original's plot.

I mean, I just get really enthusiastic at the idea of seeing Cornelius and Zira in this aesthetic.

Can't wait for Reeves to tackle Buttman.

That is a good possibility, since they hint at the astronauts in the first movie and War is supposed to be the last of Caesar's movies.

And also, the ship in the original was not a lost space mission.
It was a (very poorly thought out) colony ship that was never meant to return to Earth.

A disconnect they could use to definitively say this is a wholly new timeline

RHODESIAN APES.

Uh, dude, Ceaser is the good guy.

you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain bruh
Caesar goes Koba mode.
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT THEY ARE GONNA KILL MAURICE AND TO HAVE SUCH A MINOR CHARACTER DEVELOP INTO A MAJOR ONE OVER THE COURSE OF THE TRILOGY IS GONNA MAKE ME WEEP
im going to this alone. if you see a grown man next to you fighting back tears hold my hand and whisper cry more faggot into my ear.

These films are mediocre, mildly enjoyable shit. The classic films are GOAT camp science fiction stupidity.

These films are very good, very enjoyable and well-made. Their only major flaws are with the human characters.

James Franco gives a sleepy, low-energy performance in Rise, while the humans in Dawn, while well-acted, are all underwritten- none of them have much depth or backstory other than "their family died".

But all of these enhancements making the brain/nervous system more developed and increasing their functionality therefore increases the calorie requirement as the other user said. Think of your brain as an engine: bigger engine >> more fuel required. Same goes for the rest of your body.

The films are well-made and enjoyable, sure, but they're bland. They are generic blockbuster schlock. They took what is a really silly idea - apes taking over the planet - and made it into the most generic action film they could, with paycheck A-list actors Gary Oldman and Woody Harrelson selling their "respectability" to try and make the films seem good. They've had no idea what to do after the first, so the apes just run around the forest (gorilla warefare????). There are some good moments, sure as in the first one Ceasar screaming NO!!!!! or in the one before the newest, YOU NO APE, but they're dependent on moments from the originals. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, of the original series, is an absolutely GREATEST OF ALL TIME depiction of ape-slave rebellion and take over enhanced by the silliness and stupidity of it. Roddy McDowall + Ricardo Montalban have genuine, sweet moments, and the chaos at the end feels like an actual slave revolt.

but is a new origin, is not eugenics anymore but a virus

That's a really poorly thought-out comment full of generic, content-free opinions. You should be ashamed.

This trilogy has far more complex, nuanced writing than the vast majority of blockbusters. They're pretty thoughtful movies, not just generic action flicks.

Is this proof that the movie studios are advertising here? These films are generic schlock. Gorillas running around a forest while Woody Harrelson/Gary Oldman try to look dramatic? Bland, bland, bland. Makes me sick with its blandness.

That's a criticism that could be applied to any movie that has any amount of action in it, if you choose to dismissively zone out and ignore whatever nuance or substance the movie has.

Plus you're bashing a movie that isn't out yet, that you haven't seen, just because you think a particular actor shouldn't be in it. Pretty dumb, even by Sup Forums standards.

The Apes movies are soulless anti-white propaganda.

How do these movies even work? There's 7 billion people. How many fucking chimpanzees can there possibly be

>capeshit
>reboots
>star wars
>horror movie number 16 jump scare
>90's show turned into a comedy movie
but this...
this is the franchise that you have a problem with.
but they're bland. They are generic blockbuster schlock. They took what is a really silly idea - apes taking over the planet - and made it into the most generic action film they could
>thoughtful reboot of what playing with nature can do to humans vs the old standard of nuclear war
>an actual film on the suffering of 2nd class citizens and how uprisings can occur under peoples noses
>cgi apes emoting better than fucking laurence olivier without even saying any lines, building family bonds and friendship in the ape commune
>strong developing story of the old MLK vs Malcom X in the 2nd one featuring a sympathetic antagonist doing what he thinks is right for all the right reasons
>actual movies become about war, what it does to communities and how unstoppable it is despite the best intentions of either side
yeah faggot. I get you. its not war and peace.
but its a fucking movie about war and peace you cunt. learn to appreciate this shit or we wont get anymore like it.

I'm basing it on the films which have already come out - which have been fairly bland, to be honest. And it's also a criticism that the film series is surprisingly bland given the silliness of the concept - contrasting the new ones with the old ones. The fact you've evaded my points and instead tried to disingenuously discredit them makes me suspicious of your motives. Why not tell me your favourite things from these films? Tell me what moments in particular are moving? It doesn't appear you want a discussion. You want uniform agreement that these bland films are good. It's really fucking odd. What's the next part of your master plan?

I have a problem with all those films too - equally vapid. This film is no different. Nothing you've said disproves that. You can pretend the Avengers is a film about morality; what it means to be human; the struggle for meaning in a meaningless world. It's not true. It's shut. Same as this is shit. Kill yourself.

The villain in Rise is a black guy, the villain in Dawn is an ape, and both movies feature white protagonists.

>you've evaded my points

You didn't make any points, other than "apes running around in the forest" and "noteworthy actors shouldn't be in them".

The apes in Dawn are seen "running around in the forest" in one scene because they're hunting. They've chosen to live in the Muir Woods outside San Francisco because Caesar grew up there, and to get away from humans, and because they're naturally better suited to a forest environment than an urban one. I fail to see how any of this illustrates a problem with the movie.

Whatever, my man. Any idiot can see what a lying little fuckhead you are. Shill somewhere else.

Hothead.

I posted in this thread because I am a fan of the originals, to be honest - probably part of the demographic you're here to target? Now though? I'm gonna tell all my friends to steer clear of this stinker.

What are you, 11? Sure is summer in here.

Its a touchy subject for marketing firms and reviewers who are too afraid of giving too much attention to apes that are smarter than your average everyday nigger.

cause theyre boring as fuck with shitty weird looking over emoting cgi?

You're supposed to be at least 18 to post on Sup Forums, kiddo.

Advertising is against site rules.

>wahhhhhh, they like something I don't like!

Nothing in this thread whatsoever indicates advertising.

>Planet of the Apes
>humans are apes
>it was always a planet of apes

What did they mean by this?

People come here for fun and discussions like I did. I opened this thread expecting people interested in discussing the Planet of the Apes franchise, not two belligerent paid shills defending some new bland shitty schlock. What kind of soulless fucking faggot gets his employ literally lying, deceiving and shitting on people? So you sit on your fat arse earning pittance to ruin things. Nice life, dude. Fucking kill yourself.

Personally, it's like America's answer to the Heisei Gamera trilogy: reboots of tired and silly properties that end up being legitimately great. It's fucking baffling how a CGI Chimp was one of the best villains in recent cinema

most of humanity got wiped out by a virus that was created when they were experimenting with apes to make a cure for alzheimers

user LOVES ANTS MORE THAN FELLOW ANONS, MORE THAN GOOD RESOLUTION!

little blonde girl goes gorilla and signs up with the apes.
fuck this movie is gonna be good if woody delivers and they can actually make the apes victory believable.
>apes with no opposable thumbs hip spray and praying with full auto guns
vs
>apache gun ships and other heavy weapons as well as mechanized land forces
caesar better have a nuke or something stored somewhere or like set a reactor to overload.

Rip my nigga koba

Only the 1st was good wtf is wrong with you

>Koba
>Not alpha male, apex chimpance, Caesar Millan