Besides him being a shitty father, do you think he's a redeeming character? Marty give Gregg money for his song...

Besides him being a shitty father, do you think he's a redeeming character? Marty give Gregg money for his song, and gave Steven a roadie pass just because he felt nice towards the kid.

Does that make him a better person now, than before?

>doing something you're legally obligated to do makes you a good person

I didn't feel he was a hyperbolic asshole like the characters you usually find in cartoons. He's still a jerk of course, but portrayed in a more realistic fashion. I liked that. Marty was the best thing in an otherwise bad episode.

he took over a decade, possibly two, to give him his money, for a commercial that's still evidently running. he should go to jail. what's more, greg should have money coming indefinitely

He said himself that he was legally obligated to give Greg that money and when he saw both their kids getting into the music biz, his only thought was using them for money.

You could say he was doing what he thought was best for his son by involving him in the promotion business but from the sound of things, he wasn't doing well and needed Sour Cream to bail him out.

He could have just claimed he wrote the song.

I dunno he seems like the only dude in that show who isn't an incompetent little bitch.

>run into your son in town
>he's interested in the music business
>you're going around promoting a product, so you've got a bunch of expensive music equipment he can use
>he gets to have a better show and you get to do your job, plus you end up looking like a less shitty father for it
>help son get up and give him tips about the music industry
>finally, time to promote the product before the show
>the product tastes like shit and everyone blames you for it
>your son spouts some hippie shit about how it's supposed to be able the music and threatens your job
>get run out of town
>son still has successful rave on the beach, exactly where you told him it would be successful
He got the shit end of the deal.

How exactly?

SU's writers are strange like that. Like how Saddie comes off as the shittiest being alive in the song and kidnap episodes, but apparently she's not scum, because reasons.

presumably he did, for many years

basically this, his problem is he didn't tell him, and that he didn't do the sponsorship part properly
first, you don't fucking HEADLINE as if people care about your product. you add "sponsored by" lines. you put up ads and signs, you give out some samples and have proper cans for sale.
secondly, you dont endorse a product nobody could possibly like, then get mad at them for not liking it.

less redeemable than yellow diamond simply on the grounds that he's male

Then why is he selling shit guava drink?

He's just a deadbeat dad, not the Devil incarnate. He's pretty much a dick but at least he's not a complete amoral asshole, he just has different values. I like that.

You're stupid

The makers of it are probably a long-time sponsor. You don't severe your relationship with Pepsi just because their latest incarnation of Mountain Dew is shit.

Considering what show this is, I'm expecting some hidden depths to his character. Theres no way he can be 100% bad

Why this nigga look like he from the Simpsons

>be a shit father who gets a girl pregnant and then ditches
>know about their existence enough to know their name
>never come visit
>lead the continuous scum bag life that caused the issue
>come to town to give someone money because you sold their song into a lifeless TV ad
>not because you want to but because you have to
>run into your son who is interested in the business youre in
>use his musical interest and small time DJ gig to promote a product rather than just moving on
>act like a fucking asshole all the way through

yeah what a misunderstood and complicated character, not every villain has to be sympathetic guys

I think all the reasons that he's portrayed as a bad person are really, really superficial. Everything about him just screams "This is the kind of person Sugar irrationally hates"

Or he's just an archetypal sleazy producer with some hints of a deadbeat dad. Not every character is somehow a reflection of Sugar's views.

It would be stupid if the writing was like that. And it turns out that it is.

>willfully abandoned his kid and then exploited his desire to reconnect to make money
Was... was Booster's dad in the Booster Gold ongoing a "superficially" bad person? Or do you just think that because "uhhnnghh sugar rrreeeeee"?

Except it isnt

ehhh... I have to admit that crossed my mind, but I doubt it was intended that way
Becky Sugs doesn't actually hate men any more than Wall-E's writer is a green-ass environmentalfag. It's just she's writing a cartoon, and he was writing a sci-fi story. In cartoons, men are retarded. in scifi, humans are stupid and pollution is the villain. It wasn't a concious decision, just evidence of an incredibly strong cultural bias that nobody is fighting to do anything about
Not that we'd want them to anyway
because look what happens when people fight those things

>all these "SUGAR HATES MEN" faggots
>when all the protagonistic characters (Steven, Sour Cream, Greg and Yellowtail) were male
Okay, guys.

How is Wall-E's environmental message a bad thing?

It's amazing that people actually think Sugar is anti-men.

>the entire show is about a male character who is so awesome he turned multiple antagonists good by being nice to them, and stopped a hivemind from destroying the Earth by just talking them out of it

>it has ten-thousand year old warrior women constantly getting schooled at how to be a good person by a 14 year old boy

>HUUUUR DUUUR SUGAR HATES MEN

Lonely virgin neckbeards projecting so hard.

We're on Sup Forums after all.

Tonight's episode was amazing. One of the best songs in the series.

maybe he was looking for another talented musician to exploit for a shitty product
maybe he wanted to get his son rich like greg, but turns out sometimes the product is shit

either way he's not coming back

Shit father, but competent businessman.
The show has a running theme that "as long as you're true to yourself that you're ok." We see this used to justify all kinds of mediocrity.
But when this guy is true to his nature as a slick materialist, its not ok. Its only ok to be a useless piece of shit as long as you don't hurt feelings,

he didn't ditch her, he left 9 years ago, she probably ran him out, they probably never got married

> but portrayed in a more realistic fashion

I literally know a guy that's somewhat like this. Inherently self-centered to the point that it's difficult for them to realize they are doing it. Granted the guy I know isn't as bad as Marty.

Marty thinks he's approaching the world in a realistic way and doing the right thing. He's got some guilt over how he acts sometimes but he acts that way anyway. At the end of the day he's still an asshat and maybe he only has enough positives to make you think he's worth trusting.

>Besides him being a shitty father, do you think he's a redeeming character?
Redeeming...? Anyways, no
>Marty give Gregg money for his song, and gave Steven a roadie pass just because he felt nice towards the kid.
He gave Greg the money because he was legally obligated to and a lawsuit would cost him a lot more. He let Steven be a roadie because he didn't five a fuck.
>Does that make him a better person now, than before?
No. He's clearly still the same douchebag as before.

Steven is a deconstruction of the male hero
he's not the emotionally mature, he's hyper emotional
he doesn't win by having strong willpower, but by crying
he doesn't learn from his mistakes and grows as a character, he barely makes mistakes, he's still the same person he was episode 1, except he's got some more powers
his journey isn't growing up to be man, its growing up to fuse with Connie, and become a woman

Greg also isn't a great male role model
he's got a shitty job
he's soft
he lives in his van
his only saving grace is he's a nice guy fro Steven
in any other situation he'd be a shit father but he lucked out and got a kid he gets to be raised by magic space lesbians in a house, and doesn't need to deal with mean people ever

and Yellowtail wasn't a protagonist

tl;dr
Steven Universe doesn't have strong male characters

I feel like I missed something. I thought I was entirely caught up and I watched the original Marty episode, but I don't remember this commercial or the song that got popular?

He looks rare.

He did. The only reason Greg is getting the check now is because Marty probably let it slip who the real writer and singer was in a coke induced euphoric post coitus piss.

I wouldn't want him as a father.

I wish people would stop chucking around the word deconstruction without knowing what it means. Subversion and non-cliche is not the same thing as deconstruction.

you're really asking that? it makes The Day After Tomorrow look subtle. humans are screen-obsessed hovering blobs whose entire civilization revolves around advertisement. Earth is piled high with garbage and toxic gas. Everyone is such a moron that nothing would ever have changed if it wasn't for one robot fighting another robot, each with opposite goals regarding human action.

>competent businessman
He really, really isn't.

Not supporting them, but "they're men, ergo she doesn't hate men" doesn't hold any water. Take anything ever accused of being racist or sexist or any other whiny bullshit, and i guarantee a large number of the characters in it are the thing being accused of being attacked. that's kind of the point.

>he doesn't learn from his mistakes and grows as a character,
>his journey isn't growing up to be man, its growing up to fuse with Connie, and become a woman
I gotta disagree on those points. I highly doubt the show would end with instrumentality.

I think Steven is just what happens when you take the "just write a man" advice on "how to write female characters", and reverse it.

Some people still deny we have any real lasting effect on the planets overall health.

It's pretty obvious Sucrose wanted to write a female-empowerment show.
There's nothing wrong with that, but don't say the show is for everyone when it clearly has a pro-woman agenda.

>deconstruction
This word has recently started to piss me off so much. Every time I see it, it's in the context of trying to paint some piece of media intended for twelve-year-olds as "complex" and "insightful."

In what way is Sadie a bad person

... I don't think you understand the advice you're referring to at all.

He looks a bit like a futurama character, must be the overbite

Plus Greg is a good guy and debatably the most real character in the show

There's new episodes every day for the next few weeks, starting yesterday. Watch "Drop Beat Dad" for yesterday's episode. "Mr Greg" is today's. Only then you will be caught up.

Steven is written to be admirable and to reflect non-masculine qualities in a male character. He is a defender instead of an attacker, a lover instead of a fighter, and kind.

So what was he supposed to do if he hadn't run into Sour Cream? Was he going to do the concert himself, or was there someone else on the bus that was supposed to play?

I think he was just going to organize an event that wasn't necessarily musical, just a big ad for soda.

probably stole another song or maybe was gonna try to use Greg again

>traps people on an island
>not just any island, but a tiny island without anyone else
>anyone else besides an invisible gem that wants to murder everyone
>she did it because she wanted to force her friend to love her
>she involved some random kid too just because she needed him to succeed at her ploy
>is somehow incredibly naive and malicious at the same time
>incredibly dependent upon others to the point where she lets things happen that she doesn't want to happen

Sadie is a bad person, both from an objective and ethical point of view. Not quite as evil as Ronaldo at least.

He's made itthis far by being a shrewd opportunist. He either had all that stuff with him in case a shilling opportunity came around, or he knew there was an off chance he could use Sour Cream. I'm thinking most likely the first one.

Hey, Lars deserves it.

But if you think about it, isn't everybody trapped on an island where they're going to die?

Basically. He's not satan but he's still a dick.

>she did it because she wanted to force her friend to love her
But that's wrong though, that's just what Lars accused her of.

She really did just want Lars to have a vacation instead of running off the instant he stepped on the island and she lost track of time because they were all enjoying themselves (which was pretty clear from the montage).

I'm not saying what she did wasn't wrong but her intention was to let Lars enjoy himself. Remember that it was Lars who kissed her, not the other way around. That's why he accused her of trying to seduce him immediately afterwards, to cover up that he made the first move.

Is this new pasta?

that's a lot of words just to say "i didn't watch the show"
> he's still the same person he was episode 1
wew

>Not quite as evil as Ronaldo at least.
Ronaldo isn't evil, he's a dangerous idiot. He thinks what he's doing is right and has no self awareness of his actions. When Sadie trapped them on the island she was well aware of what a shitty thing it was and did it for a self-serving motive.

Main problem I have in Steven UniNVersity episode is that Pearl ends up finally accepting Greg after 13 years of not talking to him as he took the women she loved and "kinda" killed her and now has to raise the kid that was produced from her death. Something like that is very interesting as Rose so far never had a canon dating relationship with Pearl and essentially her first ever was with Greg and it could have made for a intersting dynamic as something like that isn't really made up for over one night. This could have been intersting to flesh out over several episodes as Pearl opens up more to Greg and have some great interactions about what it means to love someone and for them to fall for someone else crushes your dreams of them loving you and then getting a child which now is under your care and the person that stole your girls care. Shouting and yelling n drama n shit could have been fun to see all play out.
NOPE.

Liked the songs though

If Greg made 10 million off the ad deal, wouldn't Marty have made millions as well, and probably more?

Why did he "need" the Guacola deal? How would promoting the product at a shitty beach party with

>Not quite as evil as Ronaldo at least.

What did he do other than being an idiot?

Maybe his constant shillery has produced more than a few lawsuits that are wrecking his finances.

Ooh, do Rolando next

Kidnap Steven and attempt to dissect him because he thought he was a snake person.

They probably just made this episode to resolve the issue for the moment
I doubt they won't elaborate on this situation in the future

Tried to kill Lars by throwing him into a demon mouth, can't forget that.

Attempted murder

Yeah, but steven WAS wearing a snake costume
You know how he feels about the snek society

Her solo song she states Rose was with other men before Greg

Lars deserves it.

But those other men didnt kill her with childbirth

Lars is just a teenager
He's arrogant and rude because he's immature
You can't really call him a bad person for not being an adult when he isnt an adult

>Ronaldo would blog about how there is too many refugees in Beach City (Could you imagine a fully valed Burka women in SU Style?) Claiming that they are part of evil snek society to take over the world and how they first begin at Western Civilization
>Eventualy through hijinks he unmaskes the women
>It es Gem posing as the modern American women in
>All Hom World Gems confirm to be MaslIms
>Tumblr Yays
>2000000 Sheckles CN gets. Its a fool proof plan

But she loves Steven and doesn't hold that against him, that's been alluded to in the song also.

She knows her discomfort with Greg from all the previous episodes is just pettiness and that they should put the past behind them, and this episode was about her finally managing to do that.

>>It es Gem posing as the modern American women in
>>All Hom World Gems confirm to be MaslIms
>>Tumblr Yays
oh no

user is having a seizure someone help him

It's over

That makes no fucking sense

Yellow Diamond will be redeemed before Marty.

But she probably held it against Greg
Hence the hating him

>Wanted to Say at least he tried
>Look again
>He didn't try at all

>Pic appropriate

>But she probably held it against Greg
Not after all those years with Steven that's what I'm saying. She is aware that resenting Greg for that is like resenting Steven's existence or even Rose's own feelings.

>Hence the hating him
She never really HATED him though. It was more complicated than that. His existence hurts her but she's capable of recognizing it's not all his fault.

While I do think taking care of Steven probably made the situation less tense, she clearly has feeling of resentment towards Greg because of what happened, despite loving Steven
Sidenote: The only reason she loves steven so much is because she's no much like Rose. If Steven took after Greg more, she would have probably not have felt as strongly about him
While I do agree that 'hate' might be an exaggeration, like i said before, she still felt bitter towards him in a more passive way

He still let Sour Cream use the expensive music equipment. If he really only cared about the product promotion, he had no real reason to give a shit about what came afterward.

>Because using out of date equipment is totally great for promoting a product

>Its only ok to be a useless piece of shit as long as you don't hurt feelings,

Yes. Do you need to go back to Kindergarten?

>mor musslmans
>sheckles

Protip: If you have trouble telling your sandfolk apart, use their hats as a guide.

That was justified
He thought he was a snek.

snek is root of all evil

He's male. Who cares?

>inb4 this entire thread
Clearly a lot of people care