Is Ed Tom Bell and Anton Chigurh the same person?

I had the same impression user

There are a lot of scenes and dialogue that suggest it.

Explain.

I've never heard of this theory before, elaborate

now that i think about it it definitely fleshes out some of the themes

I guess I'll be the 3rd guy asking for elaboration

oh fug
>Anton blows out door handle and walks into Llewellyn's trailer
>milk scene
>tom walks into trailer
>milk still cold
>we think they just barely missed each other but in reality it was just tom's version of the story where he lied about "anton" breaking in the door

doesn't make sense though because how would tom get the tracker?

As if the cartel would call the local sheriff to find their monis

No they're fucking not

First off, Anton and Ed Tom Bell are never seen in the same scene together. One scene that come to mind that show that they are the same person is the milk scene. They both sit down in the same seat on the couch and drink the milk as they look at their reflection in the Tv. Another scene is when Ed Tom Bell goes into the crime scene after Lleweyn was shot. They both can see each other through the reflection of the blown out door lock but when Ed Tom Bell enters the room, no one is there.

Some interesting dialogue that comes to mind is when they enter Llewelyn's home and find the milk, Wendell says "Whoa, Sheriff! We just missed him! We gotta circulate this! On Radio! " and Ed Tom Bell responds with " Alright. What we circulate? Lookin' for a man who has recently drunk milk?" I believe this is an attempt to impede on the investigation against Chigurh.
Another interesting quote is when Ed Tom Bell loads up his wifes' horse before checking out the drug deal gone wrong. She tells him to be careful, to not get hurt, and to hurt no one. His response to the last statement is "Well. If you say so." as he smiles. Also, The scene where he meets with the former sheriff in the wheel chair, he says " I always figured when I got older, God would sorta come inta my life somehow. And he didn't. I don't blame him. If I was him I would have the same opinion of me that he does." God never came into his life because of the atrocious acts he has committed. Ed Tom Bell tells a story about Charlie Walser the cattle slaughter to Carla Jean. He ends the story with "Point bein', even in the contest between man and steer the issue is not certain. " and he mentions that nowadays they us Later on Carla Jean calls Ed Tom Bell and asks if the story is true and his response is "Who's Charlie Walser? Oh! Well... uh... a true story? I couldn't swear to every detail but it's certainly true that it is a story. "

More interesting quotes.

When talking to the El Paso sheriff, the shefiff calls him a lunatic and Ed Tom Bell responds with "I'm not sure he's a lunatic." and the sheriff says "Yea well what would you call him? " and Ed Tom Bells responds with "Well, sometimes I think he's pretty much a ghost." Another scene where they are back at the office and they discover the plates are registered to dead people his secretary asks him if he wants to quit the building and he responds with "Uh-huh. Don't wanna lie without what it's absolutely necessary. What is it Torbert says about truth and justice?" her response is "Oh... we dedicate ourselves daily and new. Somethin' like that. " in which he replies with "I'm gonna commence dedicatin' myself twice daily. Might come to three times before it's over with." possibly implying he's dedicating himself to being two different people.

Interesting theory, but no.

Last quote

When he talks about sheriffs of old times not carrying guns in the middle of his speech he says " I always liked to hear about the oldtimers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can't help but compare yourself against the oldtimers. Can't help but wonder how they would have operated these times" only to end it with " The crime you see now, it's hard to even take its measure. It's not that I'm afraid of it. I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job. But, I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet something I don't understand."

I'm guessing that no one knew that they were both the same person. So the cartel would be unaware that they were dealing with the sheriff.

fucked up towards the bottom, after I said he mentions... I forgot to add in the part about how Ed Tom Bell mentions how nowadays they use a compressors and short lead pipe to kill cows. The same weapon Chigurh uses.

Best meme in awhile

All interesting things OP, but you forgot to mention one thing as well to lay claim
Another theory that Anton is Ed is that Llewyne NEVER actually sees Anton, even in the street fight he never catches his face
It's an interesting theory that can get people thinking but it's not really a good one as well

I haven't seen the film in a while but do we see the sheriff again after anton is wounded in both the shoot out and car accident?

Yes, He retires and the ending scene is where he talks about his dreams to his wife.

Why haven't you seen it?

Yessir. We shoulda brought weenies.

What about when Chigurh breaks his arm in the car accident? We see Ed like right after that and he's fine. Or is Ed just Chigurh from the future? Am I retarded?

I still don't believe they're the same person but this is a pretty good attempt to prove it fwiw.

Not to be a blatant newfag but can someone explain why tv likes this movie so much? I've only seen it once and that was shortly after it came out.

It's a great movie

You dumb dumb. Those scenes ARE meant to bind the characters together, but not in a literal way-they're used to deconstruct notions of good and bad in the films universe. All three characters do similar things throughout the movie, paying for a shirt, drinking milk, visiting the same people and places- it's used to demonstrate at first that Anton is the only one with consistent principles.

He even says to Llewelyns wife-he could have just given me the money and you'd be spared, but Llewelyn was greedy. Ultimately all theee characters are rendered dead, broken, or useless by an uncaring universe.