Nightwing #1 Preview and Seeley Interview

>Tim Seeley, who wrote Nightwing’s mask-less spy adventures in the pre-“Rebirth” series, “Grayson,” is reunited with the character, and will be writing from a slightly more “super” perspective.

>“The original design of [Dick Grayson] is so perfect, he really does translate into so many different genres and potential stories,” Seeley told The Washington Post’s Comic Riffs. “I think that’s what’s made him such a fan favorite.”

>In the “Rebirth” issue of “Nightwing,” which debuted on July 13, Seeley said the character hasn’t left his spy days behind him.

>“That’s Dick’s [discovery] via my own revelation having worked on ‘Grayson’ and finding out that this character works so well in espionage related genre. We’re adding that skill to [Nightwing’s] repertoire,” Seeley said. “I think because the Batman characters tend to be so Gotham-focused, there’s some real value in having one of their members who is pretty good at globe hopping and he’s so adaptable that he can go to all of these places and instantly charm his way in.”

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/07/19/dc-comics-beloved-superhero-nightwing-returns-no-longer-a-spy-but-still-undercover/
archive.is/1R7AQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>“With the Parliament [of Owls], the idea was to expand a lot of what [the Court of Owls] ideas were, but into this new context of elitist, rich, international cabal that believes they shouldn’t have to follow the rules and laws of the rest of the world because they’re just that much better,” Seeley said. “These are people that want to create their own country to not have to deal with the riffraff of the world.”

>While convincing the Parliament of Owls that he is working for them, Nightwing will be forced to work with their muscle, a masked man called Raptor, a character Seeley said is a darker version of Nightwing.

It's a lettered preview user.

Sauce: WaPo

>“The relationship we want to play with there is that Raptor will sort of be a reflection of Dick’s relationship with Batman,” Seeley said. “He’s someone that is actually more like Dick in a lot of ways than Batman is, but philosophically he’s going to be the opposite.”

>Batman and members of the bat-family will play a more prominent role in this series, with Nightwing once again having a brotherly bond with Batman’s son — who is also the current Robin the Boy Wonder, Damian Wayne — and continuing to be flirty at times with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl.

>“It was important to re-establish those relationships right off the bat and to see how that effects the way Dick is handling going out on his own and making his own choices, and how does that affect his desire to be connected to all these people he cares about,” Seeley said.

>Seeley also plans to explore what it means when someone has been a crime-fighter his entire life, as is the case with Nightwing.

>“We’ll ask how much of [Nightwing’s] life is still influenced by being that kid from the circus who never really had a permanent home, who didn’t live the standard life of the American teenager before being taken in by Batman” Seeley said. “Dick really is sort of the only character who comes into being a superhero as that being the [only] job he knows.”

>The title of the first issue of “Nightwing” is “Better Than Batman,” a title Seeley hopes fans will think about.

>“It’s supposed to be a question to a degree. Is this about Dick being better than Batman? Is it about Raptor being better than Batman?” Seeley hinted. “I hope that as [the series] goes on we start to question how many different ways someone can be better than Batman. Is that question of a better friend, father, mentor, superhero? All those things hopefully come into focus as we go on to the first several issues.”

Source: washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/07/19/dc-comics-beloved-superhero-nightwing-returns-no-longer-a-spy-but-still-undercover/

> “That’s Dick’s [discovery] via my own revelation having worked on ‘Grayson’ and finding out that this character works so well in espionage related genre. We’re adding that skill to [Nightwing’s] repertoire,”

> While convincing the Parliament of Owls that he is working for them, Nightwing will be forced to work with

HOW CAN HE BE SO BASED

>that "enter your email to continue reading this article" bullshit
Thanks anyway: archive.is/1R7AQ

>with Nightwing once again having a brotherly bond with Batman’s son — who is also the current Robin the Boy Wonder, Damian Wayne — and continuing to be flirty at times with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl.
Yes, perfect

Posting the variant (textless though) right away to finally end this lettered preview (which WaPo didn't include).

>Council of the Parliament

Well that's just redundant

>(which WaPo didn't include)
It applies to the variant to avoid confusion with my previous post.

>and continuing to be flirty at times with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
Ew

Isn't she in China getting frisky with some Chinese dude? And wasn't she with Duke before that? Does Dick want to be turn down a second time?

Seriously, enough is enough. Dick and Babs suck together in multiple continuities. The only way they work together is if the writers acknowledge that they're two shameless sluts who are aware of that fact.

Neil Patrick Grayson

DICK

This art is very Scott McDaniel esqe.

>And wasn't she with Duke before that?
Duke is a teenager.
All black guys are the same to you?

why does he have fetal alcohol syndrome

>and continuing to be flirty at times with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl.

disgusting

>Paying off student loans
Offcourse you don't need to worry about that if your guardian is a fucking billionaire.

They should have made him a complete Talon. If it was just about the clothes or the title, why couldn't they have turned him into agent Nightwing of Spyral.

It's been a while since I've read a comic that uses narration boxes that doesn't disrupt the flow of the story. The writer here just uses them to establish a frame of mind, and connect different scenes together. He still lets the artist depict the events that happen in the comic itself.

Compare that the Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, which has to explain every single little thing. Or one of those shitty Red Hood books.

Seeley was the one to come up with the idea to ditch the caption boxes for Grayson, IIRC.

Seeley really is a good writer.

I give some slack to the BoP writers since they're new, they can evolve their style as they gain more experience

So Barbara is gonna get DICKED again?

Hopefully never
Dick/Babs is an awful pairing

But Dick/Helena
MFW

Kek shit fucking taste confirmed. Maybe New 52 Barb but normal Barb and Dick work great cause shes the pupil Batman didn't want at first, always trying to prove herself and takes herself seriously.

Dick is the pupil Batman wanted, raised him to be the best, but Dick doesn't take himself seriously at all because of this.

They are opposites of the same coin and work great together when written properly.

Should I read this?

Unh... no? She was with the David guy, right? The Batwing fella?

>Maybe New 52 Barb but normal Barb and Dick work great cause shes the pupil Batman didn't want at first, always trying to prove herself and takes herself seriously.

No, Dick/Babs is awful. Fuck you.

Yeah it was good.

Kek thats all you can say after I just stated why they were a good pair.

Fucking idiot fagelo.

DCAU Bruce go back to bed.

Dixon YOU go back to bed

Luke Fox, the second Batwing, I think.

This is shaping up to be the best Rebirth book aside from Batman and and maybe Deathstroke. Seeley has REALLY grown as a writer.

He's at his best when he gets to plot out his stories. His indie work like Hack Slash and Revival are good. Grayson was mainly full of his ideas. His New Suicide Squad was really fun. His stuff on Eternal was underwhelming because he was just following Tynion's design.

Did you mix up Batman and Green Arrow in this post or something?

No, Batman has been really good. Green Arrow hasn't. What's there to mix up?

>Batman has been really good. Green Arrow hasn't.

peak pleb

Oh look it's a shipperfag. "Oliver and Dinah are together again! Everything has been fixed!"

my man, ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Thinking that "You will not objectify me, I am a weapon!" is good writing is also shitpoting

I hope Helena cucks Babs again by getting to Dick first

>who is pretty good at globe hopping and he’s so adaptable that he can go to all of these places and instantly charm his way in.

you mean like literally every other bat-character around

>>The title of the first issue of “Nightwing” is “Better Than Batman,” a title Seeley hopes fans will think about.
>>“It’s supposed to be a question to a degree. Is this about Dick being better than Batman? Is it about Raptor being better than Batman?” Seeley hinted. “I hope that as [the series] goes on we start to question how many different ways someone can be better than Batman. Is that question of a better friend, father, mentor, superhero? All those things hopefully come into focus as we go on to the first several issues.”

Cringe, Nightwing fans really are desperate for relevance. How pretentious can you get.

most of the batfamily don't even leave gotham and if they do, hate it and want to go back to gotham

Timm get some sleep

Dick, Barbara, and Damian are all leaving Gotham (for now)

Really not liking Seeley's writing so far.

The narration and dialogue both have a lot of exposition that just doesn't flow naturally. I just feel like nothing in this preview really works, the "parliament" name joke is terrible and it's followed by really generic villain dialogue.

One of the biggest disappointments of Rebirth so far for me. It feels like such a step down from the Seeley/King run.

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension or something?

Like, a repeat of that scene where Dick is facetiming Barbara in the middle of the night in Helena's kitchen?

Because LOL.

sure why not

Don't know how to break this to you brah but Babs already cucked Helena in Grayson.

nightwing looks hot

Not in the interiors he doesn't

then Helena cucks Dick by fucking Babs?