Will there ever be a third series with an Earthbending avatar?

Will there ever be a third series with an Earthbending avatar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_GP5_NQ_LEs
dropbox.com/sh/vvw91y144y5dzom/AAATOgALnIbA9n088qUI2QLUa?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Should just go for fire. Earth Nation is some shady shit and I'd want to see the new Avatar deal with the guilt of what the Fire Nation did in the first series.

>100~200 years after Korra
We cyberpunk avatar?

No, you'll get more Korra extended universe shit and that's it.

It won't even feel like extended Korra since they're gonna feature the ending version of her, and at that point she might aswell be dead.

Consider the following:
>Korra season 3
>Zaheer didn't kill the queen
>Eath circle avatar becomes a puppet of the earth kingdom
>In the next serie the avatar is the main antagonist

Nope, the series is pretty much petering out.

Sounds cool, but can't happen because of Raava.

Didnt they say they were done with the franchise?

Bryke did, so we can hope someone else could get the chance with it. They also lied about that part and started working on the comics so there's that.

I'd watch it.

I also want to see an Avatar with a sibling for once. The amount of envy one could have from their brother/sister being the avatar

Can you imagine the if they went full 80s cyberpunk. I mean Korra was basically steampunk/dieselpunk so why not go full cyber.

>a series without that hack in charge
I'd watch it.

>the ending version
What do you mean?
Korra in S3 and 4 is a much more bearable character. Or is it because she's gay now?

>extended universe
Korra needs a Thrawn stat.

No it's because she not even herself after talking to Kuvira, has nothing to do with the gay even though is also not like her. She's lost her fiery personality and replaced it with self pity and self hatred even going as far as thinking she somehow deserved almost getting killed by Zaheer.

After the unmitigated disaster that was Korra? Not a chance.

I think Korra sucked, yeah but
"The Legend of Korra has been a critical success, drawing favorable comparisons with the HBO series Game of Thrones and the work of Hayao Miyazaki. It has been praised by reviewers for its production values and for addressing sociopolitical issues such as social unrest and terrorism, as well as for going beyond the established boundaries of youth entertainment with respect to issues of race, gender, and sexual identity."

Remember normies exist

But who said that, IGN?

>normies exist

Says the guy on a board that spawned /mlp/, fucking /su/, made a fetish out of every mildly fur-covered animated character and features a /swco/ general full of the worst autists this side of a Harmony Korine film.

No, go backwards. LoK made everything too modern, so the only correct decision would be to go back in time to before Yangchen.

>prequels
No, God no. All prequels are shit, no exceptions. Why you'd like to go the medieval route again is beyond me.

Yes, because cyberpunk Avatar sound so fucking riveting.

Why? Nobody's going to care about an attack that happened 100 years ago. Do you see the British apoligizing for colonization?

It doesn't to you? Man, your lack imagination is baffling.

No, it sounds stupid and makes the entire concept of an Avatar redundant.

I I wanted magical cyberpunk I'd play Shadowrun

the more advanced technology gets, the more pointless bending becomes.

The fantastical elements of avatar would fit better in a medieval setting desu, the advanced setting was one of LoKs mistakes, though not a very huge one.

I propose a "What if" twist-of-fate comic where Gyatso catches Aang before he runs away, and Aang has to defeat Sozin.

Lacking imagination

>metalbenders power nuclear reactors
>waterbenders and bloodbenders are used as a police force
>firebenders power the industry

If we disregard the facts that they stopped airing it on TV because of its declining ratings and that the praise it has gotten from critics has as you say been "for going beyond the established boundaries of youth entertainment with respect to issues of race, gender, and sexual identity.", which in no way is tied to the Avatar franchise, they have completely fucked up the Avatar world to the point where they can't set the story in either the future or the past.

If they want to set it in the future, they'll have to go at least 70 years into the future, which at the rate technology suddenly progresses in the Avatar world would make it either a contemporary or a sci-fi setting, except filled with asshole pokémon, astrology being real and the whole point of the franchise (bending) being pretty much obsolete. Bending couldn't even keep up with the weapons technology in Korra, imagine how it would be as far into the future from Korra as Korra is from Aang. And you can't really go on a space adventure where the sun and the moon are fish spirits swimming in a pond on "earth" and "the spirit world" is a one-planet thing.

As for a show set in the past, they've pretty much fucked that up with a shitty origin story in Korra, combined with us knowing roughly how it ends. Nothing much is at stake when we know that it will end with roughly the status quo that was before the fire nation attacked. Still, I'd much rather see an Avatar story set far back into the past than one in the future, because that shit is unsalvageable.

>Wouldn't even need to use Bending due to the technological advancements.

Yeah, nah.

It's not about imagination, it just doesn't fit the setting and ideas behind it to go high tech.

Producers said the same thing about Harry Potter

go on...

Terrible idea negating Aang's struggle and character development.

What a shitshow.

>the more advanced technology gets, the more pointless bending becomes.
In a setting where guns don't exist and even gigantic robots can be taken down by benders, this wouldn't be true, at least not with a good storyteller at the helm.

Probably, but not until some time after 2020. Bryke are burned out on the franchise and I'm assuming Nick won't do something new without them.

Don't know. That's what wikipedia says though.

>Terrible idea negating Aang's struggle and character development.

He will be experiencing the genocide of his people first hand, and you think there wont be struggle and character development involved?

Some of the best comics out there are "What if" stories.

Makes more sense to be Earth and deal with Kuvira's shit. The Fire nation is basically post-war Japan by the time Korra starts and probably isn't allowed to do shit. But it would be cool if by the end of the third series they have some kind of coup.

>Bending couldn't even keep up with the weapons technology in Korra
There's only one piece of technology introduced in LOK that benders couldn't really "keep up" with and that was the shock glove, and even then we know an actual good bender could deal with that pretty easily. Benders can take down mechs, they can provide shielding against bombs and they can probably stop tanks too.

>Not wanting to see Yoda colony drop the mother fucking Death Star on top of Sheev's ugly mug

you have no concept of fun.

That got me thinking. What if technology progresses until someone invents a time machine, and one of the first things they do with is to go back in time to kill Hitler and prevent the genocide of the airbenders. In this new time line, technology doesn't rapidly progress like it did in the original time line because the balance of the world has not been upset by the extermination of one of the kingdoms, Aang gets to have a happy childhood and live out his life in relative obscurity for an Avatar. Any number of stories could be told at this point. Maybe the one tasked with going back in time to kill Sozin was the earth Avatar that comes after Korra. After having completed his deed, he's stuck in this new timeline and goes off to live a long life as a hermit, dying around the same time as Aang and causing a second Avatar cycle of the opposing element to exist in this new timeline. That could make for an interesting story.

>Time travel.

stop right there, nothing good ever came out of time travel in fiction.

Eh, I didn't get that at all.
She was depressed for large parts of Season 3, so of course she won't be that fierce or fiery.
And in the later half she tries to act as a diplomat and not get emotionally involved.

It's more of a sign of maturity than anything.

She lets go of her anger, her fear and the boisterous show boating, coming close to being a fully realized Avatar.

Benders can take down steampunk mechs with great difficult, they'd be chanceless against cyberpunk mechs, especially if the spirit beam technology (which the benders can't keep up with either) is turned into man-portable weapons as you would expect.

They need a Timothy Zahn.
It'd be great if they handed LoK off to an actual writer. Not a television writer and not one of Bryke's cronies and definitely not some upstart webcomic guy like Gene Yang.

A middling writer, that's done some solid stuff, with no direct connection for the franchise but some affection for it.
Somebody who brings a fresh perspective and who can rework the shows flubs into something serviceable.

It's understandable for most of the season, but by the end she should have recovered from her depression but she obviously hadn't. They seemed to just shovel her depressed self as her new self which makes no sense.

She didn't let go of anything though. She got beat down and "realised" she deserved it somehow and acceptet her depressed state as her new self, it's not a sign of maturity to kill yourself off like she ended up being. If they wanted to convey maturity she should learn to keep her bad personality traits in check, not erase them completely.

She never let go, she was just beat down and changed into someone she wasn't in the show. Probably to make her seem more like Aang.

I agree with the other user, it's pretty clear by the end that she's still not very happy with where she is. She looks downright miserable when looking at the spirit portal and when she's talking to Tenzin about how there's still so much for her to do. She didn't even look really happy when walking up to the portal with Asami.

>the comics will never address how a relationship is not a cure for someone's mental illness and will just have Asami defeat the "dark Korra" with the power of vaginas

This argument is all what-ifs so I'm not going to get too much into it, but I still think in the right hands the story doesn't have to automatically take the "it's the future, so we don't need magic" approach.

I didn't get that at all. I feel that's a lot of conjecture from you guys.
The entire Zaheer subplot was sadly cut short, but the point was to have Korra accept her trauma and dispel the fear she feels inside.

Of course you can't expect her to instantly be at peace with herself, but she's very clearly getting better over the course of the season.

I like this idea, but I'd want them to be twins.

One is born immediately with the ability to bend earth and picks up the ability to bend water at an early age despite their parents not being fire benders. The other sibling is a non-bender and has to watch as their brother or sister starts receiving special treatment and training because they're the next avatar. It results in years of envy, a strong rivalry, and they end up almost hating each other completely as their relationship drifts apart.

A few years pass and the avatar is still struggling to learn fire and air bending. Something happens and their twin gets kidnapped after being mistaken as the avatar. While in captivity, the non-bender meets a fire bender prisoner who starts talking to them about bending. The sibling goes on this long rant about being how it isn't fair that they're twins but he/she can't bend and how they've been ignored for years blah blah blah...They get super emotional and pissed and go to hit the wall when all of the sudden flames pop out of their fists. Turns out they could fire bend but never tried because of years of being put down and kept in 2nd place. Since they're twins, each one can only bend 2 elements instead of all 4.

The series then focuses on them learning to master their individual elements while strengthening their bond again as they have to work side by side to make up 'one avatar'.

I don't know...I just think that'd be interesting to see.

She was getting better, but then they dropped that at the end and basicly just killed her character off while treating it as if she had learned some new truth about herself, while still being visibly miseribly. Nothing about that ending says hopefull, and Korra will likely never recover to how she was during Book 3.

>They seemed to just shovel her depressed self as her new self which makes no sense.
This. They played it off as some sort of hope spot when it was pretty much the opposite.

What's weird is that they already had a pretty satisfactory conclusion to that arc when she went to see Zaheer. It wasn't a complete happy ending, but it showed Korra had accepted what happened to her and was ready to start moving on.

I seem to recall time travel being pretty central to the plots of Terminator, Doctor Who, Back to the Future and Planet of the Apes. Those are not all bad.

I'm just glad that she's no longer a fucking asshole 90% of the time.

S3 Korra > S4 Korra > S1 Korra > S2 Korra

I want a series about the dark avatar reborn, who decides not to be evil but instead try to bring balance to the world in their own way. Eventually they go seeking lionturtles in the spirit realm to learn bending other than water, and end up unlocking bending other than the 4 elements we know about. Wood, light etc.

The Avatar and the Dark Avatar then know 7 seperate elements between them, with water being the one element that bind them both together. And together they would work to keep the world in balance.

She wasn't that bad in season 1, it was mostly the love triangle that fucked everyone over desu.

Season 2 however was a mess i'll give you that.

Still though the way season 4 ended just doesn't seem like Korra at all, Korra is more like she acted in Book 3 and 1, and that person doesn't seem to exist after book 4.

>The entire Zaheer subplot was sadly cut short, but the point was to have Korra accept her trauma and dispel the fear she feels inside.
I think what the other user and I are both arguing is that the Zaheer approach was the right approach, not the "I had to nearly die in a traumatic way, be cut off from the people I love and from myself for three years so I can be nice to a character I barely know because apparently I had absolutely no empathy before then" approach she has at the end when talking to Tenzin.

Book 1 Korra was the best Korra. Nothing will ever top:

>Who do you think you are?
>Why don't you come and find out?

I remember the day that scene leaked and everyone lost their shit over that part.

Season 1 Korra? Are you serious?

>Amon is a waterbender!!!!!!!
>...
>...
>No, I'm not
youtube.com/watch?v=_GP5_NQ_LEs

Exactly. The Zaheer subplot was fine and the right way, it was just executed poorly. Imo it should have been more like The Guru from atla, an episode dedicated to Korra talking shit over with Zaheer and accepting what happened, maybe send them on a spirit world journy together idk.

Episode 1 is probably the best epsiode of LoK period.

Just let it rest. The series has gone through enough abuse

Book 1 Korra was an insufferable bitch who was always wrong, always incompetent, always lashing out and always blaming someone else.

That was what was great about her. She was a shit that got slapped around like the dumbass she is. She was like a failed shonen protagonist

Honestly not sure why people say she was a bitch in season 1. Season 2 i get, but i never got a bitch vibe in book 1. Maybe a little in Spirit of Competition but otherwise no.

She was best Korra and I would kill Bryke for a magical retcon that made her the "ending" Korra. I would also accept just killing Bryan for book 3 Korra. Book 4 Korra a shit.

I would pay money for the ending to be rewritten and made canon.

A lot of LoK and I mean A LOT could be more bearable if the show admitted that Korra is kind of a moron.

But the writers actually seems to imply that she's smart at some points, which to me just screams that they had no idea of how her actions reflect back on her.

They need to embrace the fact that Korra is a dumbass and work with it.
Likewise with Asami being a doormat.
When they accepted that Mako was kind of a humorless dick, his character actually got more likable because they consciously started to play with that fact.

Just watch Cross Ange or Archer, at least in those shows the hero being an asshole is the point.

Probably cause of scenes like this. And y'know, the whole love triangle (rectangle?) she started

They actually did do that in early book 1, they just depicted her as being naive and inexperienced as opposed to outright stupid. Afterwards she continuously gets thrown into situations that are way above her head (she's a 17/18 year old in the first three books) that labeling her a moron because she didn't know how to handle a civil war would be unnecessarily cruel.

She DOES do outright stupid things, but I wouldn't ever call Korra a moron.

I mean, he was working/affiliated with the group that had just kidnapped her friend and he was basically saying Bolin deserved whatever was going to happen to him. All things considered I'd probably be a lot more violent if I were in her position.

The love triangle i can understand, but that scene? She is trying to get information from a known equalist supporter about their rally to save Bolin, and she doesn't even beat him up or threaten his life or anything. It's not like when she threatened to kill that Judge for no reason.

I thought you someone would bring up her disagreements with Tenzin or something, which i would say is mostly her being frustrated at going nowhere, and she does apologize to him every time by the end of the episodes so i don't mind that.

I just wanted to dump some legend of shen stuff. Just some of the cooler art. It was a fun project.

S1/S2 Korra was dumb. She learned nothing from her experiences with Amon and repeated all her bullheaded mistakes. She was manipulated by everyone around her with extremely simple ruses. Her entire plan for ousting Amon was the pinnacle of idiocy. The girl just don't think good.

You can see it all on the tumblr, provided it is still up. Shen was a sandbender who didn't know he was the Avatar.

Kimiko is the fire nation noble tasked with retrieving him, and (in secret) having him master the elements.

Didn't they announce that comic like 2 years ago? What happened?

She gotta have him master the elements.. why? To prevent some Cold War that's going on. I don't really remember the big details of why it was going on though, this was a while ago.

Cause someone gave it a favourable comparison it did well?

The problem is that almost everyone in Korra's age range or even younger acts smarter and more competently than her.
Her being young only works as an excuse when she's not the odd man out. And given that ATLA had younger protagonists being far cleverer than her too, it seems disingenuous to use it as an excuse.

And what said is more true than anything else. She keeps doing the same shit and expecting different results.
There's nothing wrong with a hero being a muscle head, but you can't have them act dumb and pay lipservice to them being smart. Hell, the show has a bad habit of doing that. Remember when Mako called her the nicest and most selfless person he knows, when all of the season Korra was on a violent ego trip?

>Maybe a little in Spirit of Competition
Blowing off your date to get his brother to cheat on his girlfriend with you is not being "maybe a little" of a bitch. I'm trying to think of a character in a comic who did something bitchier than that, but I'm coming up short.

They announced them at SDCC last year. If they're still on track they're supposed to start coming out in the fall. There's some rumors that they're being pushed back because the first artist and left and they're having trouble finding a new one.

I respectfully disagree.

Poi is the adopted sister of Kimiko. Her style of water bending was gonna be more hands on. She would encase her self in water and ice and brawl, instead of water whips like Katara. Also she'd have a whole thing about coming in to her own, having her own identity (as a waterbender) before being able to teach Shen.

Which part of that are you disagreeing with exactly? It seems pretty accurate to me.

>Hell, the show has a bad habit of doing that.
The show does it in so many aspects. Book 4 she is sad cause she loses her power, is this a chance for her to grow and explore other things? No she punches her way through stuff till she is allowed them back and is now happy again

She didn't blow off the date, they had ended the date before then and even has some probending matches since then, otherwise you're right i guess.

But i generally disregard most of the shipping stuff since it's just bad for everyone involved.

By the way, Kimiko is older than Poi, and Poi older than Shen. They were all gonna be in their teens still though.

Just the entire notion that Korra is stupid or an idiot in any way. I'm not really interested in debating it because it's been four years since the show started and neither of us are going to be swayed and this thread has been relatively chill for a LOK one so far.

Also you got Bayar. Older brother of Shen, against helping the Fire Nation, he just wants to go stay in the Sand Bender tribes, and help them. He wants Shen to do the same. I don't seem to have any solo pics of him though. He's the tall one.

>Just the entire notion that Korra is stupid or an idiot in any way.
I don't see how that is even something that is possible to disagree with. She's a dumb brute with no impulse control and a very high opinion of herself. That's pretty much her entire character in season 1.

This is a neat idea

this is a bad idea

They were being hunted, for one reason or another. I don't really remember, but It was by the suicide squad, as we temporarily named them. The captain, old boomerang pirate. Rhino, smart, sweet, deadly. Some Yu ang archer chick who went rouge, and some dude I didn't care about.

Streetrat rebel Wang. Raised as an air monk but he don't care about none of that. He'd be hippidty and hopping. We never really got to developing him though, but I loved the idea of a brother sister relationship with Kimiko for him

I'm out of words.

I like idiot Korra.
It makes her flaws seem more relatable.
I mean she's peak physically, a bending prodigy, has lots of influential friends and a high social status from birth.

Let her be kind of a dumbass, there has to be some reason for her to constantly fuck up.
I'm more than willing to forgive an idiot that fucks up despite good intentions. A "normal" person with the same track record is pretty much a disgrace.

If anyone actually cares dropbox.com/sh/vvw91y144y5dzom/AAATOgALnIbA9n088qUI2QLUa?dl=0

Here's The drop box with all the art.