When did his descend from visionary filmaker to shallow Hollywood executive begin?

When did his descend from visionary filmaker to shallow Hollywood executive begin?

When he found out his wife was into the help during construction of Skywalker Ranch and she promptly dumped his ass. She was the only one who could critique his scripts and actually get him to change something. After she was out of the picture he gained 100 pounds, developed a monster gobbler and only hired yes men.

When he made Star Wars

>shallow hollywood executive
>produced some of the greatest fantasy films of the 80s

>bringing up absolute genre trash for children
>not bringing up the weebkinos he produced instead

When he stopped directing and started producing, so Empire Strikes Back

Sometime between THX 1138 and American Graffiti

thanks bashed kerchner

Really, really wish he directed RotJ as well

>THX 1138
>American Graffiti
>Star Wars
He was on such a roll and then he just stopped for 25 years and came back with Phantom Menace. What a shame desu

Don't forget Indian Jones and Willow.
But as I understand at some point he got personal problems and dived into depression .I heard his father had dementia and he and his sitsers were taking care of him.

>Don't forget Indian Jones and Willow
>director

He wrote the story and characters of this movies, in my opinion it's more important than the director. The proof is Empire Strikes Back, it's his story and he took a no-name guy to make it. Can you name a single film from Kirshner and Richard Marquand without cheating?

When he started to get millions selling plastic toys based on his Hidden Fortress's sci-fi homage film

Robocop 2
Never Say Never Again

He never descended.
lrn2vulgarauterism

Well, Robocop 2 sucks and that never say never again. I've never heard about it. That confirms my initial statement. Also most people don't even know the name of ESB and ROTJ directors names, let alone their other movies.

All that's really been proven is you know shit about shit.

>story and characters
>more important than direction
THE ABSOLUTE FUCKING STATE OF THIS BOARD

>writer is more important to how a film turns out than director
You're legit retarded if you really think that
Also Empire Strikes Back was written by a group of people, least of all George

Kershner was literally George's mentor, he had a career spanning decades in film hence why Empire is the best Star Wars
In the case of Richard Marquand, George picked a no name director with no experience to control after he couldn't get fucking David Lynch or Steven Spielberg

That was before his descent, retard

George wrote Empire. Kasdan touched up on it. Let's not deny Mr Lucas his due.

>LULZ I WATCHED RLM U GUISE XDD!111 HES SUCH A HACK!!11 BE SURE TO GIVE PATREON BUCKS TO THESE YOUTUBE SHILLS BECAUSE THEY TOTALLY SPEAK TO ME AS AN IMPRESSIONABLE KEKED YOUTH

>Screenplay by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan
>Story by George Lucas
Now I hope you're familiar enough with film to know the huge difference between a screenplay and a treatment. George's story was probably ten pages left over from A New Hope

Shut up, retard.

George's suppression of unaltered versions of original trilogy is enough to hate him, you don't even have to watch the prequels.

Lucas wasn't happy with Bracket's contribution and was going to have her rewrite it. However, she died before she could get around to it. Her name was left on out of respect.

Now that's some serious retardation

Still nobody knows their movies. I'm not saying they are bad, but George could have done without them and the films would still be good considering it was his story and he was producing these movies

That's a bit exaggerated. I don't mean directors don't matter at all or that a shitty director can make a good movie. However, a good story and characters is necessary for a good film, and George provided it.

>Still nobody knows their movies. I'm not saying they are bad
>A director's quality is indicated by how popular he is
HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO SUUUUUUUMMMERRR

That's literally exactly what you're saying

Kirshner never made popular movies except when it was a George Lucas movies who is known for making popular movies. I let you connect the dots.

this, he is a good man in my book just for bringing kurosawa's career back from the gutter

He was never a visionary, just an autistic faggot who got lucky by ripping off Jean Giraud, Frank Herbert and Valerian und Veronique.
And had not the bright, but the autistic idea to secure merchandise rights.

>popular movie=good
>unknown movie=bad
Are you actually a toddler?

Who talked about good and bad? Only you retard. Now read back my comments before responding with silly memes

>Why was Star Wars more famous than this guys other films
gee I dunno

>shallow Hollywood executive

He was never that. His writing and movies are very consistent.

>Who talked about good and bad? Only you retard
>Well, Robocop 2 sucks and that never say never again. I've never heard about it
>dem goalposts

Robocop 2 sucks and is a poor example because it only happenned after ESB. If it wasn't for Star Wars nobody would have hired Kirshner for anything except the little movies he did before. Plus the film being trash only reinforces that he had little to do with ESB success.

>produced some of the greatest fantasy films of the 80s
more like
>had his hand in the jar from the 70's and all his creative friends spent the 80's working around his shitty ideas

>Sometime between THX 1138 and American Graffiti
what's bad about american graffiti?

>Plagiarize old Sci-Fi shows
>Visionary

I guess he really Is the father of present day cinema, huh.

because filmmakers realize in order to get their passion project made they have to make money first from making garbage. This is even more true nowadays because of disappearance of mid-budget films

>makes ok movies with no money
>makes great movie with some money
>makes a billion dollars
>phone in a bunch of shit from your house for the rest of your career

How do you qualify the doghit delivered by JJ Abrams, Kasdan and Kathleen Kennedy?

ten years ago they wouldn't have even had names, they just would've been the mindless, nameless, faceless executives shilling shit for mass consumption.

But for some reason, they think giving the mindless faceless corporate yesmen images and carefully tailored personalities makes them seem more human.

Around Empire Strikes Back

it is pretty crazy though that he was so hands off with that film that he visited the set only couple of times

This is the real truth. Also, when she got an Oscar for her editing of Star Wars and he got nothing.

George is a director and made a point of letting the director do the movie without meddling like the producers did to him on THX. But the whole story was his and he said he had to be largely more involved in it than he expected. Watch the Charlie Rose interview.

Is George an auteur?

compared to the prequels TFA and R1 are amazing. This is from the pov of a 30 year old that studied production technology academically and works in film and video production.

Regardless of any exterior politicking or subjective hormonal or nostalgic attachment to any of them, the Disney ones are all around much better movies. Which shouldn't even need to be said it's so unambiguously clear.

The prequel trilogy is awful. It was awful when it came out and it will always be awful, in spite of all the babby revisionism.

that's not how you spell autist.

>the Disney ones are all around much better movies

They're better made, objectively, but that doesn't stop them from being dull as shit and comparable to mediocre cookie-cutter capeshit films.

why is seth green sitting next to george lucas

>This is from the pov of a 30 year old that studied production technology academically and works in film and video production.

Video production is a funny way to say Starbucks. I'll take a Grande Chia Latte pls

Yes but Tommy Wiseau, Neil Breen and Paul W. S. Anderson are also auteurs. Being an auteur doesn't mean you're a good filmmaker, it just means you have a distinct style.

I think that video has something to do with Robot Chicken, hence why Seth is there. Can't remember.

Lucas is like Scott: great directors all considered but without any form of creative control they go full lunatic

>compared to the prequels TFA and R1 are amazing
It's too bad you lost me there. You work for the industry and defend JJ Abrams turds. Are you a kike or something?
And btw do you realize that video is a joke? It's funny that George got a reputation about being a dictator while we have Kathleen Kennedy in comparison. She fired Michael Arndt and Lucas from the sequel, she fired Garteh Edwards and now she fired Lord & Miller because she thinks her way is the better way although she is only a secretary that was lucky enough to get under Spielberg's desk.

Star Wars 4.
THX 1138 is a masterpiece.

>Video production is a funny way to say Starbucks.
I worked at a Courtyard by Marriott Starbucks in 2010 actually. Have since worked on 5 movie productions, 4 tv shows, a bunch of commercials, and like 5 years in industrials. I have professional practical work experience in every department. I've spent years doing art department and props. My opinion on filmmaking is relatively informed.

And I don't really give a shit who you are or what you do tbhwyf.

They're not even better made. The cinematography is awful, camera constantly moving around for no reason. The colour grade is teal orange just like a Transformers or Avengers movie. The sets looked like sets, not real locations and the dogfights were a boring CGI crapfest.

so you're saying he had the backing of the kikes for that one? I don't know user, that's kinda antisemitic

All I know is that right now it's kikes that are ruining Star Wars. George got slammed by Hollywood after the prequels. Now the new movies get only praised, nobody will dare to say how much they suck, that's strange. You even get some starbucks kike eplain to us they are "amazing", I noticed they use this word a lot for kike made shit with no value.

>It's too bad you lost me there
I'm sure I did you clearly flew in with a babby agenda.
>You work for the industry and defend JJ Abrams turds.
Don't need to defend them. They speak for themselves.
>Are you a kike or something?
Are you a faggot or something? Keep your sjw shit in Sup Forums nigger.
>And btw do you realize that video is a joke?
Yep. Posted it anyway. Why is defending a billionaire toy maker so important to you do you think?
>It's funny that George got a reputation about being a dictator
He got a reputation about being an aloof hands-off asshole that would randomly become controlling on belligerent whims.
>while we have Kathleen Kennedy in comparison.
She's doing a pretty good job at doling out the creative work to smart people. She's not trying to get director credit on everything when that's clearly not her forte.

As for her firing people, we'll see. If it's true that the third act of R1 is what Disney took over from Gareth, that was probably a right call because the final battle sequence was pretty great. And if it's true that the Han Solo actor is a piece of shit and it was the directors that fought for him and then secretly tried to make an $250 Airplane! movie, seemed pretty reasonable to fire them.
>although she is only a secretary
Been working with them as a producer for decades but whatever. It's weird how you prequel babbies end up forcing people to defend mediocrity just to spite how stupid you are. Nu-Star Wars is fine. A fuck of a lot better than PT Star Wars.

>JJ abrams speaks for himself
>lens flare
>lens flare
>lens flare

>I don't know much about movies but I know this one meme criticism

>lens flare

>Don't need to defend them. They speak for themselves.

Yeah they do. They're shit films.

Why are you shilling so hard for these terrible Disney™ films? They're nothing but films designed by corporate stooges.

>i want focus grouped regurgitated filth instead of movies that try to do something else
are you serious

>Are you a kike or something?
Are you a faggot or something? Keep your sjw shit in Sup Forums nigger.
A kike using the word nigger. Are you Bill Maher? I don't see any logical reason for slamming George and then sucking JJ Abrams dick except for being a kike.

I really want to know where George became the enemy of the kikes. Is it because his movies are optimistic instead of cynical cash grabs with vicious underlying messages and social engineering? Or is it because of Watto?

George consistently worked outside the system. Created resentment I bet.

Immediately after THX1138

Yes, he explained how he produced ESB with his own money, but some kikes thought they were entitled for half his profits. Told them to fuck off. They didn't like it.

>i want focus grouped regurgitated filth
better than the prequels
>instead of movies that try to do something else
boba Fett's dad's sperm was used to create the clone army that Obi-Wan mentioned that one time in ANH.

As for the prequels being blatant industry-facing ads for ILM and all the shitty "world building," that wasn't really "try to do something else" as much as it was "try and increase the value of your company as much as possible."

>A kike using the word nigger.
A babby using edgyboy words. I bet your mom would be so mad if she heard you using those no no words.
>Are you Bill Maher?
No.
>I don't see any logical reason for slamming George
He was a terrible filmmaker that made 3 historically noteworthy bad movies. The prequels are remembered in the same sentence and tone as 9/11 by the people that where actually conscious for them.
>and then sucking JJ Abrams dick
He's a competent filmmaker. He understood the fundamental wabi sabi that made the OT good far better than George ever did.
>except for being a kike.
Take your tribalism nigger sjw shit to Sup Forums you literal teenager. Nobody is impressed by your inability to have an argument you mewling faggot.

>I really want to know where George became the enemy of the kikes.
I really want to know where English became your second language.
>s it because his movies are optimistic instead of cynical cash grabs
Revisionist faggot. Are you knowingly being dishonest or are you actually this brainwashed? How young are you?

>Howard the Duck

He also dated Elliot Rodger's mum

Visionary filmmaker? He was still doing it with the prequels.

Remember when everyone was complaining about digital cinema, green screen and cg and now it's everywhere. Thanks to this guy and Cameron.

He was never visionary, he made one okay movie and garbage before and after A New Hope, and A New Hope was complete fucking garbage before his wife fixed it up. I remember reading that James Cameron laughed the whole way through the first cut.

>stop
replying like this you autist

if you honestly think carbon copied versions of an old fan loved movie is better than a hit and miss i dont know what to tell you, its clear you're the intended audience so have fun with the movies. as for your funny comment on how the prequels are about the clone war is nothing but shitty world building, please realize that what George did was perfectly fine as an idea for a continuation, it was already mentioned in the first trilogy that there was a past war and intrigue between characters, regardless of how it played out, his prequel trilogy has more heart and vision behind it than ANH 2.0

Here we go again, that Marcia fixed his movie. Did she make reshoots too or did she have to deal with only what he already filmed? What else did she do except being George's wife? Let me check...nothing. She's a cunt who took away half his money, jeopardizing the Star Wars OT and forcing George to sell PIXAR who desperately needed cash. She still kept her Lucas name because she will always be nobody.

>if you honestly think carbon copied versions of an old fan loved movie is better than a hit and miss
Miss and miss. It failed on basically all counts. And TFA wouldn't have needed to be such by the numbers reboot if the prequels weren't extreme franchise cancer.
>i dont know what to tell you
You probably literally don't know a whole bunch m8.
> its clear you're the intended audience so have fun with the movies
Seems like the intended audience was everyone other than contrarian prequel babbies.
>as for your funny comment on how the prequels are about the clone war is nothing but shitty world building, please realize that what George did was perfectly fine as an idea for a continuation, it was already mentioned in the first trilogy that there was a past war and intrigue between characters
are you acting autistic as a goof? This means nothing.
>regardless of how it played out
It played out terribly.
>his prequel trilogy has more heart
No it fucking didn't. It's remembered for being bland and heartless. Why are you lying to yourself? It's people flatly walking in front of a green screen reciting shitty dialogue.
>and vision
lol. they just threw money at every department to make dope shit with almost zero direction. His "vision" was to make everything shiny and clean because it was easier. He was a lazy hack racing to be an industry leader in the digital revolution. It didn't matter what he made storywise, because his motivation to make the pt was industrial, and it shows.

How old where you when TPM came out? Where you alive then?

t. George Lucas

you realize all of your posts so far can be condensed to im right because i say i am and you're wrong because i say you are. have fun with focused grouped shlock made to make millions off the hopes of fans, friend.

>Visionary
>George Lucas

What did he mean by this?

>you realize all of your posts so far can be condensed to im right because i say i am
Eh the means by which the prequel trilogy was a failure has been well documented. What exactly have you said to support them or to support your contemporary contrarian argument? You realize that this isn't an argument at all right? It's ad hominem.
>have fun with focused grouped shlock
I have so far. Who would have thought that hiring a bunch of talented artists to make fun space movies would work better than one hack narcissist shitting a script out in a week and surrounding himself by yes men.
>made to make millions off the hopes of fans, friend.
Lucas was extremely upset when Titanic made so much money. TPM only made $1 billion worldwide when a fucking boat movie made $2. I'm not sure what fantastic delusion you have that allows you to think Lucas was doing anything other than trying to make as much money as possible while making as little effort. Movies are made to make money. It's not an argument to act like that's a criticism when it's convenient.

Elliot is key to all this

>Lucas was extremely upset when Titanic made so much money.
Source, other than RLM?

Yes, that's what he's saying. Mediocre copy paste drivel is a MILLION TIMES better than the trash that is the prequels.

This. If he didn't make those abominations, then the world would be a better place with actual quality Lucas films. The only loser in this scenario would be Lucas' wealth.

After the success of the OT.

The OT had people surrounding it that managed to keep the films in check, more or less; when the prequels, Lucas had more control and more yes-men surrounding him.

The source is Mike's anus which is directly connected to that guy's mouth. That guy is riding JJ Abrams dick and still wants to be taken seriously by using the prequels as a shield.

Bullshit again. George had already full control on Indiana Jones 1 and Empire Strikes Back because he produced them with his own money, not begging for Hollywood money. These movies are exactly what he decided them to be, he didn't have to listen to anybody.

-Apocalypse Now's troubled direction with the director, a friend of his, betting everything, even his own life, on it.
-The laughing stock that was the Star Wars Holiday Special.
-The failure of More American Graffiti.

This three, two failures and one sink or swim situation influenced him heavily.

Because George was the only person work on them and had the major say.

Forget Steven Spielberg had a hand in it, it was all Georgy Boy.

RLM, charade you are

Spielberg has nothing to do with the story and characters. Here's the proof, the transcript of the brainstorming session for Indiana Jones. Lucas delivers the whole story, Spielberg tries to provide input and Kasdan doesn't say anything. Spielberg comes up with crappy ideas likes making Indy an alcoholic. It's a George Lucas film yet we only hear abour Spielberg when Indy is mentioned.

glad some user read books about George
my man

his wife
his friends
Spielberg

he was literally the idea guy