Running time: 107 minutes

>running time: 107 minutes

Seriously, what did Nolan mean by this? It's his shortest film since "Following" debut. Is there going to be no exposition then?

And what do you think the big twist will be?

Other urls found in this thread:

premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/EXCLU-Christopher-Nolan-et-ses-collaborateurs-revelent-7-infos-sur-Dunkerque
youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU
cinemareview.com/production.asp?prodid=2960
theanswerbank.co.uk/Media-and-TV/article/the-cast-of-lord-of-the-rings-is-huge-how-many-extras-were-involved/
imdb.com/title/tt0167260/trivia
imdb.com/title/tt0054331/trivia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

TWIST: Hitler let them escape the entire time

This. It will be the only twist that makes sense. There'll be a point in the movie where the brits have run out of options and are on the brink of being annihilated, then the germans will suddenly stop attacking.

I genuinely reckon he and his brother wrote the same stale, nonsensical tripe they always write and then the editor just cut out all the pointless exposition without telling him and then showed Nolan the cut in front of an entire audience who immediately praised the film as Nolan's best yet forcing him to pretend like he was happy with the finished film

>Is there going to be no exposition then?
>Directed by: Christopher Nolan
That's impossible

>hey, are you finished over there?
>yeah. I'm done, Kirk

seriously?

>Is there going to be no exposition then
HA!

nolan sucks anyway

It would be nice if Nolan actually presents historical facts, but there is no way (((they))) would ever allow it.

>Is there going to be no exposition then?

Yes. Nolan said multiple times that the dialogue is minimal and practically non existent, especially compared to the rest of his films. He said he's surprised the studio even allowed that. All the soldiers will be no names with no history.
It will be just 107 minutes of pure audio visual experience.

>what do you think the big twist will be?
Gay romance.

More like it was a boring overlong mess and they've had to hack it to pieces to get anything close to an interesting narrative.

any source on that?

Here are a few excerpts from a Nolan Dunkirk interview
>(Smile.) Do not repeat it to the studio: it will be my most experimental film. By far. I preferred to make a sensory, almost experimental movie. Without dialogue. The soldiers have no history - at least I don’t tell it. Most of the crew didn’t understand why I was screening them The Wages of Fear. But it was the one that made the most sense. Which talks about mechanics, procedure and physical difficulties. I rewatched Pickpoket and Un condamné à mort s’est échappé, just for that. Bresson details everything, creates suspense with details.

>[Saving Private] Ryan is a film about the body, blood, fear of being dismembered. Fear is physical. Steven was able to create a visceral intensity of the experience of war. Dunkirk doesn’t play in the same category. It’s a movie with suspense and a race against time.

>It isn’t by accident that Heart of Darkness by Conrad is one of my favorite novels. It’s the purest form of geography and storytelling. Conrad never repeats himself, he sinks gradually into the depths of the human mind. Is it an inward journey or a trip out of oneself ? That’s the real question Conrad is asking. And 2001! And Dante! How to tell the trip ? This is the main question of cinema.

Basically the film is a suspense thriller about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B, not about the usual "war is hell" narrative.

Isn't that what happened? Hitler decided to postpone bombing the shit out of them and they escaped.

it's a translated french Nolan interview from premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/EXCLU-Christopher-Nolan-et-ses-collaborateurs-revelent-7-infos-sur-Dunkerque

Too bad he can't frame a shot to save his life and he has some of the worst choreography and cinematography I've ever seen in Hollywood cinema.

>What do you think the big twist will be

You're led to believe half way through the film Tom Hardy is killed in a gas attack. The final shot of the film is him barely alive, his hair having fallen out from the gas effects, with him sucking on a broken gas mask held over his face. It's why he wears military fatigues in TDKR. BANE?

Precisely. If anything, he trimmed the fat so it's a nice lean 107 minutes of uninterrupted exposition.

That scene in the trailer is the first time he puts on the mask

He's one of the few directors that can boss around a studio so if he wants to they'll probably let him

Such as?

Nolan isn't the cinematographer you mongoloid, Hoyte van Hoytema is (Her, Interstellar, Spectre). Post a single shot from him that has bad framing or composition.
As for choreography yes, Nolan doesn't have good hand to hand combat sequences in any of his films, but Dunkirk has practically zero close quarter battles. As for big action set pieces, he's good.

he's such a fucking wanker oh dear god

It's gonna look like a poorly lit mess Chris, we all know it

I know you are memeing but Nolan doesn't do any of the lighting, the director of photography (Hoytema) directs his lighting technicians for the shots.
Post a single poorly lit frame from Hoytema.

>HURR DURR HITLER LET THEM GO OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF HIS HEART
>DA JOOS MUH CHURCHILL AND DRESDEN MUFUGGA
>HITLER DINDU NUFFIN

wtf i hate nazis

Hitler was literally a britboo and didn't want to go to war with them

>HURR DURR
>DA JOOS MUH
Go back to redit you fucking butthurt autistic retard.

The irony of you using that image you disgusting fucking kike rat

cry more about your safe space jew lover

somebody post the dark knight rises chareography scenses

>implying Nolan won't have the final say anyway
But since you asked, this entire film looked worse than HBO.

Memes aside, he has to be the most pretentious director in interviews by far. "The biggest anyone's done since the silent era" - on TDKR
And pic related amongst so many others
Even Refn, who plays it up for humour, comes off as less of a hipster douchebag.

I think his composition is one of his only strong suits (which I'm sure has a lot to do with working with extremely talented DPs). But his choreography is embarrassing

Waah, that's mine!

It's gonna be like Mad Max Furiosa Road, full movie is 1 act trying to escape from there, that's why is short

>Listens to his idiot Goering that the luftwaffe can beat the Allies at Dunkirk, 400,000 allies escape
>Wants to beat UK but forces the Luftwaffe on useless civilian bombing halfway through, ensures UK is still int he war
>Invades the USSR while UK is still undefeated
>Invades the USSR prematurely with unprepared forces
>Changes the main objective in Barbarossa 3 times over the course of a few months
>Declares war on the US as USSR and UK are still undefeated (lmao, what could possibly go wrong!)
>Splits army Group South and lets one half get surrounded at Stalingrad
>Wastes resources in a useless African campaign and completely ineffective ideas like V1/2 attacks not to mention the holocaust
>"Never retreat" fucks the Germans in every battle in the East after 1942
>Changes the objective and timetable at Kursk like 3 times, ensuring that it will be a disaster
>Forces R&D to focus on juvenile super-weapons concepts instead of efficient designs
>Cripples said super-weapons with stupid ideas liek forcing the Me-262 to have a ground attack capability
>Insists to waste resources in stupid offensives like Battle of the Bulge and Spring Awakening)
>Drags the war out for 3 years even though it's clear Germany lost
>hurrr it's just an exaggeration guys

>The Wages of Fear
>Heart of Darkness

nolan is an actual true /film/ and /lit/ patrician

I will literally cream myself if this happens.
>As Hardy puts on the mask for the first time in the plane
>Squad mate:"Farrier, you know that mask won't make you a better pilot?"
>Hardy:"We'll see..."
>Intense dog fight where he saves his squad mate's life
>SM:"Shit, maybe we should start paying attention to you when you put that thing on"

Oh vey! Dat image was given to my great great grandrabbi Shlomohberg Goldlevistein for holocaust reparations where 60 billion jews were slaughtered by Trump supporters

The twist will be Bane coming out from a vision of a past life then collects himself and continues his dialogue with CIA.

>knowing americanized noir shit and literal high school required reading makes you patrician
"ok"

Clearly would never happen but what would Sup Forums look like if it did
I can imagine all hot heads collectively killing themselves the night it releases

>The Wages of Fear
>"americanized noir shit"

??

Hitler letting them escape isn't actually an "edgy conspiracy theory".

Nolan movies always feel rushed. I thought it was because he tried to fit a 4 hour movie in a 2h30min movie, but I guess he just likes to rush them even when there is absolutely no need to.

>Nolan my dude we need another simply hella f*ckin' EPIC movie for the reddit crowd
>ok since dubya dubya 2 is topical let's do that
>sure chrisy boy now what part of that epic conflict do you want to recreate
>uhh how about the Dunkirk evacuation
>...
Seriously what the fuck

The German forces halted briefly so as not to overextend their supply lines thinking they would be able to crush the British forces at will but were outwitted and made to look foolish once again by the clever Anglo.

>anglo

>This is what British kids learn at school

It's a sign that he wants to do it out of passion/desire to make it, not because someone told him so.
No one asked for a WWII movie about a british retreat event with a full white male cast, but he did it because he wanted to do it, not because of some studio exec calculating the marketing demand and coming up with the idea.

Nice argument

>tinker tailor soldie spy looked worse than HBO
it's like you didn't get that they wanted the film to have a grainy 70s look. it looked gorgeous, best shot and lit film of this decade.
but what to expect from an average Sup Forums poster?

Hitler listened to Goering, who assured him he would destroy the BEF with airpower alone. dumb stormnigger

do you think frenchs gonna be pissed when they find out the movie is about the british army?

there are frenchies in the film too, you can see the french troops at 1:07 right in the trailer

Lmao at all the brainlets replying to this calling him pretentious when it's actually patrician

nah most people here probably have never heard of the dunkerque evacuation, they'll swallow it up unless the "experimental" part rebuked them and no one goes to see it

In comparison, a few excerpts from Nolan on TDKR
>"I think this is the biggest one I’ve done, the biggest one anyone’s done since the silent era"
>"I don’t know when someone last did a film with 11,000 extras in a real environment. It is an escalation."
>"It’s all about historical epics in conception. It’s a war film. It’s a revolutionary epic. It’s looking back to the grand-scale epics of the past, really, and for me that goes as far back as silent films. I’ve been watching a lot of silent films with my kids on Blu-Ray. We’ve shot over a third of the movie on the IMAX format, and that naturally puts you more in the mode of staging very large events for the camera. It’s my attempt to get as close to making a Fritz Lang film as I could. It’s also more in the mould of ‘Doctor Zhivago,’ or ‘A Tale Of Two Cities,’ which is a historical epic with all kinds of great storytelling taking place during the French Revolution."

And for Interstellar
>"People are always accusing my films of having plot holes, and I’m very aware of the plot holes in my films and very aware of when people spot them, but they generally don’t."

So yeah, nothing new there

>"I don’t know when someone last did a film with 11,000 extras in a real environment. It is an escalation."
Gladiator? Kingdom of Heaven? Lord of The Rings? Spartacus? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?
Is Nolan aware of other filmmakers or does he just live in his own bubble?

How can Nolan even compete?
youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

>that nigger
they couldn't resist uh

Half of those films didn't have even half of that amount of extras on screen at the same time, what the fuck are you talking about?

this. he has great taste in kino and literature. i remember reading an interview with him where he states that a short story from borges inspired him while writing inception. i admire his tastes and dedication to filmmaking but his aspiration for grandness sometimes makes his films sloppy, like a lot of the scenes in TDKR had terrible background choreography.
i may not like all his films, especially the batman trilogy but memento and the prestige are fantastic. i wish he would make something different than just thriller movies within alternating contexts (crime thriller, sci-fi thriller, capeshit thriller).

Epic post reddit

>i wish he would make something different than just thriller movies within alternating contexts (crime thriller, sci-fi thriller, capeshit thriller).
And now a war setting thriller lmao

>there's no niggers in WW2

wew not even Sup Forums is this retarded

thanks redditbro glad you got my back

Umh excuse me

Sieg Heil amrite

Units were segregated friend
You can ask your bull if he's done now

>this is the kind of truthpill Sup Forums can't handle

>segregated
>in british army

could you stop embarrasing yourself?

Nolan said he didn't know the last time someone did a film with 11, 000 extras in a real environment.

Gladiator
>Can't find exact figures but over 10,000 costumes were made
Kingdom of Heaven
>At its height, the production utilized 25,000 to 30,000 extras, sometimes augmented by the Moroccan army.
cinemareview.com/production.asp?prodid=2960
Lord of the rings
>More than 20,000 extras were cast in the epic Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
theanswerbank.co.uk/Media-and-TV/article/the-cast-of-lord-of-the-rings-is-huge-how-many-extras-were-involved/
Return of the King
>20,602 background actors cast;
imdb.com/title/tt0167260/trivia
Spartacus
>According to a March 22, 1959 article in The New York Times, "upwards of 50,000 [extras] took part" in the battle sequences
imdb.com/title/tt0054331/trivia
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
>Shot in the deserts of Spain with 1,500 Spanish soldiers as extras.

Well you got one right I suppose...
kek

Segregated units don't even refute his point you mong

so the brits didn't have colonial units? just huge melting pots where they mixed everyone?

If you watched the video you would know it did
Feel free to kill yourself

Where are there even 11,000 extras on screen at once in TDKR?

At most there were 800-1000 extras for this scene, which is easily the biggest scene in the movie in regards to people on screen at once. Maybe they had 11,000 extras total for the entire movie. But there was never a scene with 11,000 people in it, Nolan is full of shit.

Not to be rude but the real reason still isn't known. They have had many explanations as to why the nazis stopped their advance.

maybe by "the silent era" he just meant since before 2005?

We are talking about a single shot, not the entire runtime. The 20 000 extras in LOTR are the total amount of extras, not the amount of extras in one scene.
Nolan had 11 thousand extras in a single scene and yes that is quite rare to see in modern filmmaking as he said. They were terribly choregraphed though.

Not that user but maybe it's the stadium scene?

Segregated units were a thing because they didn't come from the mainland, that doesn't mean they were unable to join people of different races in the same place. That's just an amerilard thing.

See
If there were a scene with 11,000 people in it then Nolan is just a shitty filmmaker because nothing in TDKR has that sense of scale.

When in that quote does Nolan ever say in a single shot? He just says in a real environment
And are we ignoring the more than 50,000 extras in just the battle sequences in Spartacus?
(And since there are only like 2 big battle scenes in the whole film, than at least one of them must be more than 11,000 at once)
Or is Spartacus part of the silent era according to Nolan's revisionism?

Stop defending this hack

WHY THE FUCK would a film based on a REAL AND VERY WELL KNOWN EVENT NEED EXPO FUCKING SITION???

Adding to this, Kingdom of Heaven had 25,000 to 30,000 "at its height" meaning not in total but just at the time when they had most at once.
>b-but Kingdom of Heaven isn't modern filmmaking!

Most of the people in the stadium scene are CGI, with only one section of the crowd being real. I dunno, maybe there's 11,000 people in pic related. But is gathering a bunch of people to sit in a stadium for your movie really something you need to brag about like this is the first movie being made since the silent era?

Because this isn't any film, it's directed by Christopher "Bravo" Nolan

I didn't know Bane doubled as a cameraman.

why is Bane holding the camera?

He's a capable guy

You have no idea what any of those words mean, and it's quite obvious.

underrated

They had the opportunity to wipe them out as they ran to the boats but let them go. It there was a halt order to prevent the allied forces from breaking. Hitler didn't order it, two generals did. Had they not given the halt order, Britain was considering surrendering completely and it would have easily gone down in history as the biggest slaughter ever

This, even modern historians today are scratching their head at why Hitler didn't just finish the slaughter.

Don't worry user he's never seen it. Have you seen Sorceror? It's a fitting homage to the original but I think that its failure in the face of Star Wars ended the appreciation of the auteur approach in American cinema.

Because hitler wasn't the one that gave the order. The generals took it into their own hands