So who here is excited for Laika latest film Kubo?

So who here is excited for Laika latest film Kubo?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A
shannontindle-blog.tumblr.com
youtube.com/watch?v=9lomCS9vHsQ
youtube-mp3.org
youtube.com/watch?v=-XasXYFcAS4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It looks nice

I sure as hell am! I saw a TV spot on CN the other day, and that was somehow the first I'd heard of this movie. I'm surprised Sup Forums hasn't been hyping it all year.

>Bitch about lack of diversity & originality in American animated films
>Studio behind Coraline brings us a new, original movie with a distinct art style and dark tone
>Nobody fucking says anything

Real talk - did anybody else assume Kubo was a girl until the end of trailer 2?

Has laika made a bad movie? I don't fucking think so. Looking forward to it.

it looks epic - in the classic sense of the word.
loving that setting also

I am looking forward to spending money on a movie for once. But not until Sunday when everyone is still at church

I can't wait for all the tiny amount of fanart we'll get.

I would be excited if it weren't done in that repulsive "I wish I was directed by Tim Burton" visual style.

Shame because the story and acting and everything looks great. It would have made one hell of a traditional 2D animated film.

ehem

Looking forward to this more than any other movie this year.

They aren't?
Shit.

Does it have nothing but blank white backgrounds?

this makes me sad

Me. I really want it to be good.

I really like the trailer. The Beatles cover was a nice touch.

youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A

it's so beautiful

I fucking know right? People here also shittalk Boxtrolls but that was great!

25 foot tall Skeleton puppet

Sup Forums went bananas for it when the first trailer dropped then we all agreed not to overhype and shitpost. You missed it.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice Laika was making this. Color me optimistic.

Baiters gonna bait

Considering the number of good animated movies this year, this is still the one I'm most hyped to see.

Does this shatter Laikas old record for world's largest stop motion puppet?

Dropping this here since Knight is taking all director credit. shannontindle-blog.tumblr.com

The Box Trolls was only so-so, but considering that's as bad as Laika gets, that's a pretty good track record for the studio.

Yup. The previous record was the 5-6 foot walking machine from Boxtrolls

Looks pretty cool, hopefullt it's not too fast paced so people can soak in the artwork and different backgrounds

It's on display at Universal Studios Hollywood it's rather impressive.

when every still of the movie looks like somehting you could fucking frame on your wall, you know it's gonna be good

... They're not a girl?
Well, fuck. Still cute.

at least the monkey is cute

Universal Studios also hhas a meet and greet with Kubo, Beetle, and Monkey. I think that's a first for Laika.

Second, even if the story comes out so-so the technical side of the movie is worth the cost of admission.

They've been doing Laika meet and greets since Paranorman. It's just that they usually go away after the film's theatrical run.

Laika suffers from having high quality artwork that doesn't go out of its way to either pander to or trigger the majority (*cough* Disney/Pixar *cough*).

As a result, everything of theirs is worth watching and nobody gets angry or insanely obsessed to blow it up on social media.

Great cast.

Excited but not watching any trailers so I can watch it without remembering "wait, they haven't done that scene in that trailer yet..."

>good animated movies this year
what besides the disney shit

Been excited for about a whole year. When it comes out I'm probably going to watch it twice, and maybe a third time alone. It looks great and I've never seen a Laika film in theatres.

The Secret Life of Pets
Kung Fu Panda 3
The Little Prince
April and the Extraordinary World

There's also Life, Animated that just came out, though I haven't seen it yet.

The only one I saw in theaters was ParaNorman.

Heard 1-2 people audibly gasp when the truth of Agatha's backstory was revealed.

ill pirate it.

Honestly?

I'm a little worried that McConaughey is just going to be playing himself in this movie. In the trailers thus far, he sounds to me like he doesn't fit.

Looks good. My least favorite Lakia movie is Paranorman, and that's still pretty good.

>not boxtrolls your least favorite with either coraline or paranorman as your favorite

I guess it's subjective, but Boxtrolls story was way too all over the place for me.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just watching the trailers I really don't think it'll be a hit. Honestly I think it'll make less than Boxtrolls. It's nothing against the movie, I'm really excited about it, it's just the way it's being advertised won't sell tickets to kids imo.

That's pretty cool. I wanted to see PN in theatres, but when I was able to it was already gone since it didn't do spectacular. Thankfully, it was on Netflix.

The writing wasn't strong enough to support a twist this dark

Boxtrolls was consistent, and absolutely gorgeous visually.

I agree, especially since the villain's motivation was just trying to be rich and blind to the fact that he was deathly allergic to what he wanted. He got what he wanted at the end, and there's almost no repercussions for that other than the fact that he dies.

That is amazing

I think it has a lot of Heart.

I work in a movie theater and I get really excited every time I see a trailer for it.
It looks really good.

You missed the hype threads. They definitely happened.

>Norman steps out of the way
>little girl about to be fucking hung
Paranorman is a great movie.

The trailer was great, but that orchestral rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with the shamisen really got me hyped.
I'm looking forward to the soundtrack for this movie, this is the best I can find on Youtube right now
youtube.com/watch?v=9lomCS9vHsQ

You're just a pussy.
It's not really any darker than the Santa scene in Gremlins, which is about on-par with what the tone and style of the movie is.

I need an mp3 of that cover as soon as possible. holy fuck.

Dying is a hell of a repercussion.

It seemed to me that the movie's main problem was that it had too many different elements. Too little butter, too much bread. In fact if anything this seems to be Laika's recurrent problem - too many ideas and not enough control. Like in the Boxtrolls you had about half a dozen different story elements and plot threads. There was: Winnie, Winnie's Dad, Eggs' backstory, Eggs' dad, Eggs' and the Boxtrolls interactions, the Boxtrolls themselves, Eggs + Winnie segments AND the villains. Also there was a lot of flavour to do with the city and the setting as well (which I loved personally, but it's not what you need in an already over-stuffed movie).

Really the movie needed more discipline, and it needed to pair the two main characters up earlier and make their interactions the central focus of the film. You could also see this a little bit in Paranorman, although to a lesser extent, where his ghost-sensing abilities just sort of disappear. I know it has been explained by the studio outside of the movie, but still.

>You could also see this a little bit in Paranorman, although to a lesser extent, where his ghost-sensing abilities just sort of disappear. I know it has been explained by the studio outside of the movie, but still.

It was more like they cut the scene for time: The ghosts were as scared shitless of the Witch's Curse as everybody else and went ducking for cover

It might be, since they aren't super duper huge like Aardman animation, they can't put everything they want into multiple films, and have to compromise by putting it all into one movie. I agree that it needed to pair the mains earlier, I remember watching it and wondering when Winnie would actually start doing something with Eggs since it was obvious that that's the direction the movie was going in, it just didn't get there fast enough.

He wanted it, so I don't really consider it a repercussion. It's just one of those situations where a character doesn't care what happens to them if they can get what they want, and they don't care what happens next because they have it.

Now that I've seen the trailers I fuckin' am.

Definitely; don't follow movies all that much, but this one's been on my list to check out on release ever since

ALSO The Red Turtle, Big Fish and Begonia and Longway North came out this year, Phantom Boy is showing in the US hopefully I'm going to make it to the theater to see it, and I'm personally still waiting on Mutafukaz.

But yeah, this is a stellar year for animation. Even when you take Disney out of it (which for me is a given)

Hey, you're four strings short kid.

Here youtube-mp3.org

Whoa, stringmind →Also use this → With this youtube.com/watch?v=-XasXYFcAS4

I'm excited for it, it definitely looks better than their last 2 movies

Box Trolls looked fantastic but was underwhelming. Paranorman was good but not as good as Coraline.
This one i have high hopes for.

Oh man im hyped as fuck but i'll have to wait until september to watch it.

>Fuck the release dates of my country

>He wanted it, so I don't really consider it a repercussion. It's just one of those situations where a character doesn't care what happens to them if they can get what they want, and they don't care what happens next because they have it.
Like Gollum, the ring and the hot lava?

Yeah, pretty much.

Also, a friend just saw an advance screening, in her opinion it was better than Boxtrolls but not as good as Paranorman/Coraline, so I expect it'll hold up for a lot of people. Either way, definitely a fantastic visual spectacle.

Finally a proper Gashadokuro.

>The Secret Life of Pets

It was alright. Feels like a retelling of Toy Story's story.