Alan Moore is BASED

>Dear Joshua

>Well, first of all, thank you for a lovely letter. I apologise if this reply is a bit short, but I’m working really hard on about six different things at once just now, and I know that if I put replying to you off until later when I had more time then I might lose your letter (you should see all the books and papers and clutter filling nearly every room in my house), or not get back to you for some other reason. After your kind words about me and my writing I really didn’t want to do that, so here I am in an odd half hour between finishing one piece of work and starting another.

>I’m really pleased that you’ve enjoyed so much of my stuff, and especially because most of my readers these days are people almost as old as I am. Of course, I appreciate my audience however old they are, but it’s particularly gratifying to think that I’ve got intelligent and adventurous readers of your own age out there. It’s the kind of thing, when I’m taking my vitamin pills and swilling them down with Lemsip, that makes me feel like I’m still ‘down with the kids’.

Other urls found in this thread:

lettersofnote.com/2016/07/you-are-best-author-in-human-history.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Books like Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing were done back when I was just starting my career in the 1980s, when I was in my twenties or thirties. I’m glad they’re still enjoyable today, and as for how I wrote them...well, I suppose I’d have to say that I started out, when I was your age or a little younger, by being simply in love with comics or books that were full of brilliant ideas that set my imagination on fire. From a very young age, I was trying to emulate the people whose stories I was reading by writing little stories or poems or even little comic books drawn in coloured biro on lined jotter paper and then stapled together. I’m not saying that these things were any good, but that I had tremendous fun doing them and that they at least taught me the beginnings of the skills that my writing would need in later life.

>As well as writing and drawing, I was also reading as much as I could about the things that interested me...this is why libraries are so important...whether that be in books or comics or any other medium that I could get my hands on. When I was reading things, part of me (probably the biggest part) would just be enjoying the story because it was so exciting, or scary, or funny or whatever, while another part of me would be trying to work out why I’d enjoyed whatever it was so much. I tried to understand what it was that the author had done that had had such a powerful effect upon me. It might be some clever story-telling effect that had tickled my brain, or it might be a powerful use of symbolism that had struck a deep, buried chord inside me, but whatever it was I wanted to understand it because I figured that if I understood these things, I’d probably be a better writer than if I didn’t.

cba to post the rest
lettersofnote.com/2016/07/you-are-best-author-in-human-history.html

Friendly reminder Alan Moore is personal friends with George Osborne

>By the way, have you ever expressed interest in realities outside our own? There is far more to human thought than what plays out in the classroom. Now, something as mundane as gravitational force or the inability to move things with our minds may seem self explanatory to you but I assure you, things are not as simple as they seem. What if I told you, Joshua, that what the teachers call reality is just a flimsy panelling encapsulating the inner sanctum of our thought? And it is this thought that can give birth to ideas that would brush the realities you're taught to be subservient to as they were nothing more than a driftwood in the breezy current of our experience. I therefore implore you to sometimes stray from the beaten path, reach your destination, yes, but by all means, visit a mushroom patch on occasion.

This was written by a guy pretending to be a kid, right?

Plot twist: it was written by Morrison

>Watchmen is his favorite
What a disgusting pleb.

>you will never see the second season of this

Rebirth

why is he so cute?

Half of the britbongs look like fucking Doctor Who, specially Gaiman.

So Moore is trying to indoctrinate the kid into his world of wizardry?

Because he didn't get bitter like Moore.

Say that to my face, cunt.

I want to protect that smile.

Adorable.

Probably.

>Ennis' shit eating grin
>Millar's rape shirt
Kek. Everytime.

The gang's all here

>the episode where they visit Glasgow
a classic

>the episode where they were invited to Rowling's tea party and were subsequently banned from her property
>the episode where they had to write a speech for the Queen, but the speech contained a cognitohazard trigger word that cause massed hysteria
>the episode where they did to raise money by selling chocolate bars to reanimate Tolkien
>that episode where they decided to commit suicide to convey the degeneracy of comics as a art medium
>that episode where they just smoked a shit ton of weed and screamed profanities at the viewers

Good times.

Double plot twist. Morrison wrote it as a child and sent it to himself in the future to send it to Moore

>Friendly reminder Alan Moore is personal friends with George Osborne
Don't ever try and ruse me again you lying little toerag.

Aw, that's really sweet. I like how Moore was very polite about somebody liking his old work (which he REALLY doesn't like any more)... and then of course he all but encourages the boy to take hallucinogenics

These words are too big, man. The kid ain't gonna understand what he meant.

>The episode where Stan Lee made a cameo and tried to eat their souls so he can show up in Spider-man 5: One More Day as Mephisto.

Everything else aside, this is the first time I've heard the term "biro" used by an actual english speaker. Only time I've heard it before was when I was learning English in school here in Germany, back in 6th grade.

don't we all?

You got this from Reddit.

very polite way to respond to someone who doesn't understand your work very much

this wasn't in the letter you faggot

>Local man left confused and angry by joke

Where can I read these magical misadventures? Sad to say this is my first time hearing about this.

It's not real

>The episode where they spend ages coming up with an idea for a successful intervention for Ellis to stop drinking but it turns out he's annoyingly joyful when sober so they give him the alcohol back at the end

Why was Neil so based in this?

Good. Means he'll learn them.
Too many children's media is dumbed down to an insulting point.

B-but I want them to be...

Do it like Moore and fail solipsism 101 class and voila!

George Osborne is a top lad, why wouldn't Moore be mates with him? Moore used to be Gideon's dealer back in the days.

Top Kek

>wrote a fan letter to Grant Morrison thanking him for idea for a story he gave me through the power of hallucination
I don't think he'll ever actually reply, but it felt good to write it. Was actually the first fan letter I've ever written

>>From a very young age, I was trying to emulate the people whose stories I was reading by writing little stories or poems or even little comic books drawn in coloured biro on lined jotter paper and then stapled together. I’m not saying that these things were any good, but that I had tremendous fun doing them and that they at least taught me the beginnings of the skills that my writing would need in later life.
>As well as writing and drawing, I was also reading as much as I could about the things that interested me...this is why libraries are so important...whether that be in books or comics or any other medium that I could get my hands on. When I was reading things, part of me (probably the biggest part) would just be enjoying the story because it was so exciting, or scary, or funny or whatever, while another part of me would be trying to work out why I’d enjoyed whatever it was so much. I tried to understand what it was that the author had done that had had such a powerful effect upon me. It might be some clever story-telling effect that had tickled my brain, or it might be a powerful use of symbolism that had struck a deep, buried chord inside me, but whatever it was I wanted to understand it because I figured that if I understood these things, I’d probably be a better writer than if I didn’t.

It's funny because that's almost exactly what I'm doing right now, trying to emulate stuff like silver age Jack Kirby & bits and pieces from old pulp novels because of how enamored I was with things like Tom Strong and The Phantom as a kid

Ugh... let's see, gaiman, Morrison, Moore, idk about the second and third from the right, and... Miller?

Why nobody told me this exist?!

Millar, Morrison, Moore, Ennis, Ellis and Gaiman.

The founding members of the ''British's appreciation of rape and inter-dimensional travels''

All literature is based on emulation

Blood Meridian emulates Paradise Lost and Moby Dick, for example.

>I don't think he'll ever actually reply
Does Morrison ever show anybody any kindness?

I suppose that he's nice at conventions, but he's being paid to be nice there. Does he ever act like a decent human being when he's doing it for free?

He took Way under his wing but I guess that could be a self-promotion thing.

he shares his drugs with his friends

So... twenty years ago?

Literally laughed out loud
Would love to see this as short comics or something

One of these is not like the rest. Guess who?

You spend too much time reading memes and not enough time reading actual comics.

>Implying Moore and Morrison don't write meme comics.

Wut?

I met him at MorrisonCon. It was smaller than your normal con so he and the other 10 or so guests spent quite a bit of one on one time with everybody. I had long conversation with him and he generally seemed interested in what I had to say. I was asking him about Dr. Hurt or something and he seemed more interested in asking me about what I do and then we talked about Thomas Pynchon novels and conspiracy theories.

So he was nice when you paid him to be nice.

Good one, fucking kek

Is Promethea any good and why was his Lovecraft Graffiti Fish Fucking so bad

But for real

>the episode where crazy uncle Rasputin visits his favorite thrice removed cousin and refused to leave, Alan Moore is forced to challenge Rasputin to a Mystical contest, the winning claims the loser's true names.
>the episode where Shakespeare rose from the grave, to stop the district school board from teaching his plays in their English curriculum only to wight another tragedy.
>the episode where they tried to revitalize traditional animation by sacrificing The Duck's Wrath, a Dog's Hubris and The Mouse's Pride, the resulting Walt Demon could only be vanquished back by the Fleischer Trinity.
>the episode where they find out they don't possess souls, and realize their lives were much better off without the troublesome things.
>the episode where they started writing new comic book scripts on their own skin, written in their own blood to save money on ink, deep visceral ideas were literally flying out of their scalps and fingertips.
>the episode where they wanted to branch out into the Far Eastern market, their first manga was such a blockbuster, the third and fourth bombs had to be dropped.
>the episode where there was only a black screen, followed by the laughter and cries of hysterical children and butchered livestock

So Sup Forums what was your favorite episode?

Black screen episode was L I T A F

I liked the one where they all take their wives out to dinner and Amanda Palmer ends up fucking them all without the others knowing. The Millar voyeur subplot was pretty good too.

Also the one where Ennis stumbles upon Moore's mushroom cultivation in the woods and tries to cook them and ends up turning half of Europe into the Sultanate of Ireland and almost has the others executed.

The one where they get locked on DC's basement for 52 hours because Morrison wanted to search for the lost Fourth World issues.

>As well as writing and drawing, I was also reading as much as I could about the things that interested me...
Truer words, at the start of the year I was going through a myriad of scrapped ideas that had built over 10 years of scribbling premises, reading failed launch after failed launch I was left wondering where I went wrong and why I even bothered.

But after reading works with similar themes to the concepts instead of becoming disappointed at the lack of progress I became inspired to develop my ideas as much and as far as others proved possible. Suddenly the old adage became true and what seemed like a pile of trash to one me was a mountain of potential now.

Instead of writer's block I have difficulty deciding how many ideas I can feasibly flesh out and incorporate before things get too dense. Instead of loose strings tying the setting I have countless threads I can weave small and large narratives through every character, every word, ever panel. I feel like a divine architect, I can see reality shaping!

I suppose some part of our mind and imagination with enough use just becomes activated to recognize and replicate something we spend enough time enjoying and analyzing.

Anyone here planning on reading jerusalem? I'm thinking about picking it up

ill definitely buy it. might not finish it before im 90, but ill buy it.

it is quite the time investment

i'm pretty hype for it.

do you really think
was part of the letter you living abortion?

Given that it's Moore, it's entirely possible, you air-breathing fish.

wow you are just... you really think Moore would say something that blatant to a child? Are you this autistic that you really thought someone would tell a child to eat mushrooms? You really think Moore is that socially retarded? And you didnt even bother to actually click the link.

Just kill yourself you tripfag, walking pile of flaming trash.

I don't have time for your FACTS, you spoony user!

How long is it gonna be?