Is the Dark Universe doomed...

Is the Dark Universe doomed? Are the rest of these remakes of timeless horror masterpieces doomed to be action copying marvel dogshit like pic related?

When you fuck up twice in trying to establish a film universe, so much that you try and start over after the first one was complete garbage. These movies are disgraces to the classics

I hope to God not. I wanna see them all get made and see a new Phantom of Opera.

What they need to do is make 1 movie every year. Waiting 2 years for each movie is a terrible idea

>Phantom of the Opera won't come out until 2029 or so
HOLY SHIT

>These movies are disgraces to the classics
But the Mummy followed the 1932 movie pretty well. If only the movie didn't have so much comedy in it and tried to be serious

What is the fucking point of remaking this, no one on God's green earth can top her performance

Ya. Sorry.

>no one on God's green earth can top her performance
She only had 2 minutes of screen time and the point of remaking it is giving the Bride more screen time and making her more of a main point of focus

>the Mummy followed the 1932 movie pretty well.
Yeah, the fuck it did. A couple of screenshots and generic story bits don't mean jack shit.

>wanting a reboot to 100% follow the original film
That's not how the force works

They really fucked up by starting with the fucking Mummy of all things to kick off the Dark Universe. Iirc even the original didn't do that well. There is no reason not to kick it off with the wolfman, Dracula or Frankenstein

they already tried kicking off with a Dracula movie and no one gave a fuck.

I would love to see a world where Universal kills the idea of reboots by constantly "rebooting" every time they make a flop, every few years, and people stop willingly forgetting they saw the same movie five years ago.

>There is no reason not to kick it off with the wolfman, Dracula or Frankenstein
Frankenstein is boring, Dracula is only good if it's done in the Nosferatu way (a guy in a cape is scary? No it's fuckin cheesy). Wolfman can be dull.

The Mummy is the best monster

Never seen Dracula Untold but is the basic premise that some warrior makes a deal with the devil to become Dracula and defeat the army of his enemies?

If so, that sounds cool and will give it a watch

Wait, Dracula Untold was that movie? God there is no hope for this "universe" they just don't care

There's rumors that Blumhouse may be producing smaller entries in the universe. Assuming The Mummy is representative of what this universe has to offer, I think that would be the best way to go - who the fuck wants to see The Wolfman and Dracula in PG-13 action movies?

They forgot that these are supposed to be fucking HORROR movies. Jesus Christ its not that hard.
>Mummy: just do a straight remake of the '90s movie, but keep all the dark Set related stuff, because thats actually kinda cool. introduce Prodigium, but don't waste time on early worldbuilding or the Jekyll/Hyde Bullshit
>Creature From The Black Lagoon: Set it in some swampy area like Louisiana, but put it in the 1960s. make it about Gillman kidnapping and murdering people, and regular shmoes saving the day. Prodigium shows up at the very end to clean house.
>Dracula: Plant it firmly in the 1930s, and make this also serve as the origin story for the Prodigium guys, and put Van Helsing in charge of the organization. make Dracula a real scary threat on par with Bela Lugosi.
>Wolfman: Mid 80s, London. some bumbling jackass gets bitten by a werewolf and Prodigium actually fucks up and lets him loose on a city where he kills a ton of people.
>Invisible Man: modern day. Make Prodigium central to the plot, some fucked up experiment turns one guy invisible and the other one into Jekyll/Hyde. there's your killer monster.
>Frankenstein/Bride: You could actually do a military story here in the 1940s. some crazed Nazi fuck decides to start reviving dead soldiers but his first test subject is his own wife. make it a sort of Halloween in a scary sci-fi Castle story, but with reanimated corpses of soldiers, and once again Prodigium is sent in with some British Army guys to clean house on the down-low.

I thought Invisible Man was coming out next year?

it's basically the Castlevania movie I never knew I wanted.

I AM NOT WAITING 8 YEARS FOR A NEW DRACULA MOVIE. UNTOLD IS CANON TO ME AND WHEN I BUY TOM CRUISE'S THE MUMMY I WILL PUT THE BLU RAY AFTER DRACULA UNTOLD IN MY CINEMA COLLECTION AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT THAT

At least Monster Squad will be forever untouched by greed.

Minor fun cult status is the safest kind of kino.

Wolfman might work as an action/horror flick if they went with some crazy "wolfman is born from freaky magic/science genetic experimentation" thing. Just go absolutely nuts with it, ya know?

I am getting tired of the MIB type organizations in all these "cinematic universes". MCU has SHIELD, Legendary kaiju-verse has Monarch, and now this. I get that these movies have to have some kind of connective tissue, but christ, at least attempt to be a little original.

Most autistic post I've read in weeks. Good job.

the problem is that those aren't going to make the 500 million plus box offices that execs want from these cinematic universes.

I agree, but at least I'm making an effort, unlike Universal. If they had decided to keep Dracula Untold part of this, they could've gone with a couple different angles
>everything has roots in Dracula/that creepy old fuck in the cave is connecting everything
>all of the monsters are just incredibly ancient beings, save for Phantom and the Frankenstein monster(s)

It's alright. Action shit only a little less retarded then Underworld. But there is a story in there, and there is an old formula. It's by no means a movie I would say pay to see at anytime... but it's a watch if your curious, or just want to see something a little better than The Mummy. Universal just needs to keep going and be like DC. Just ignore all the shit you did til you make it or at least do decent like Man of Steel.

They should've just made a Penny Dreadful feature film. I would love to see Eva Green on the big screen!

I will say this, if a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie is made, I'll probably go and see that one at least. I have a sort of love for how campy that one is.

You have nailed it, Universal hire this man

>Is the Dark Universe doomed?

Yes. The next movie is in 2019 and it's Bride of Frankenstein. It's completely fucked

kek

Im detecting sarcasm here.

>Javier Bardem
well, not COMPLETELY fucked...

Should have made them all girls.

It is how anything good survives these days, along with Godzilla staying with toho, Shin Godzilla was the best modern monster film of all time

Eva Green NEEDS to play the Bride of Frankenstein

I'd watch that.
I'd watch the shit out of that.

What if she played the Gill Woman instead?

No sarcasm at all, like seriously your premise has intrigued me as a die hard Universal and Hammer monster fan

Fuck this, I'll just watch Penny Dreadful again.

The Bride of Frankenstein is arguably the best universal monster movie, the only bad thing about it is the remake will disgrace it and its all millennials will watch

While I agree with that user that said MIB-like organizations are getting old, it works for this franchise.
The reason being, is that I have always had this thought at the end of nearly every horror movie I've ever seen:
>HOW IS THIS NOT A KNOWN EVENT TO THE PUBLIC???
For real, a lot of horror flicks end in such a way that public awareness of whatever killer/monster/vampire/entity is implied or just ignored altogether, even in movies with sequels. The implications of say, the House of Wax remake or AVP Requiem are far reaching. someone's gotta cover that shit up, right? keep the public in the dark.
THAT should be the function of Prodigium. yes its practically identical to MIB but it works here.

SCP cinematic universe when?

How can they ever hope to pull it off?

Dark Universe could be that if it wasn't spearheaded by dumbasses.
an SCP-like story could work with Invisible Man, i.e. guy gets fucked over in Prodigium experiment, has to stay on lockdown, etc.

What's the evolutionary logic behind having two pupils in each eye? How does that help?

there is none afaik, I think they just did it as a visual to show the power of Set.
at least it's unique, I guess.

Was I Frankenstein a part of that?

is that Lexi Belle?

They need to write this shitfest off. Do the rest of the films, and come out with a new Mummy movie, including that one in their universe and living this one out.

We almost got an 80s Creature From the Black Lagoon remake from John Carpenter and Rick Baker.

What the fuck is the Dark Universe?

Dracula Untold basically takes place in the time when Turks were moving in on eastern europe. Vlad the Impaler is basically under control of a small kingdom and the turks come and demand he give them boys for soldiers under the Ottoman empire.

Not wanting his son to live the life he had to, he finds the location of an old vamprie who was once a knight that made a deal with a demon but was cursed with being a vampire who was also bound to a cave.
The old vampire obliges Vlad and feeds him his blood, giving Vlad temporary vampire powers but the catch is he can't drink any blood or else he's cursed forever.

It's sub-par unless you like a film that has countless turkroaches getting slaughtered. It really makes Vlad out to be a good guy though and all the classic vampire horror is allocated to the original vampire. Even at the end where it shows Vlad as Dracula in the modern era, still basically giving off a vibe that he's good while the original vampire is seen following him around and being what Dracula should be. If it is indeed a Dark Universe film it really doesn't do justice to Dracula, it just turns him into your typical "vampire protagonist" cliche.

A shared universe reboot of all the Universal Horror classics that will fail.