Did people hate TPM/ Jar Jar initially or did they just jump on the bandwagon when it became a meme to hate it

Did people hate TPM/ Jar Jar initially or did they just jump on the bandwagon when it became a meme to hate it

I was only three when it came out so I'm curious

Other urls found in this thread:

landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakovasaurs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People loved it until Redlettermedia's revisionist history made it cool to hate.

Easily the best of the others
Podracers were fucking cool
Battledroids were fucking cool
Jar jar was meh

I never hate it. He was funny

Michael Jackson wanted to play the role of Jar Jar Binks. How much different would it have been?

I saw it as a kid and liked it, but I wasn't crazy about it. didn't really dislike Jar Jar, he was okay. RotS was the Star Wars that really blew me away(I was probably a college kid when it came out).

rlm did make me realize the flaws of the prequels, but I still like it overall, and still love RotS.

Yeah, no. I hated that shitbag since the first time I watched Phantom in 1999.

Even as a 9 year old i thought he was too silly. Older fans hated him.

The media was more concerned if he was racist or gay.

Pretty much everyone over 10 hated the character.

It's a movie for children and a hundred million fat autistics are eternally anally devastated over it.

Man children wanted this Lucas professed children's movie to be "dark".

Kids didn't like it either at the time you contrarian gen z shits

>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit it. There's a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas

I was a kid at the time and I went to school with an Anakin Skywalker backpack and lunchbox that made all the other kids jealous.

as a 9 year old at the time all i cared about were the lightsaber duels. so that was good enough for me. when attack of the clones came out though, i started to dislike the prequels. even then i thought the cgi was pretty shitty. by the time revenge of the sith came out, the prequels were considered bad and surprisingly revenge of the sith actually had considerably good reviews that most people's take away from it was that it was the best movie in the prequel trilogy (true).

attack of the clones is still the worst of all the star wars movies, imho.

everyone ate this shit up when it came out, I was 15.

It was my favourite movie as a kid
star wars episode one racer was my favourite game
>b-b-but plinkett review muh space politics and killing not a children's movie
Every disney kids movie has exposition and a death scene as well.

i liked him, movie was meh but i was like 8 and i liked when he said "how wuuuude"

darth maul light saber fights were pretty much the best in the series so I liked the prequels up until RLM

I happened to be in the theater with a couple of friends from school who were one or two grades ahead of me and when we met up later they both thought it was really lame but I thought it was okay. I hated little Annie but still thought the podrace was amazing, I thought the Gungan world was kind of cool and I liked Obi-wan, Quigon, and Darth Maul scenes. Duel of the Fates is the best thing outside of the OT. It's possibly still my favorite outside the originals too.

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are both practically unwatchable dogshit. Revenge of the Sith is the movie George really wanted to make and is actually dark and compelling and has some of the best scenes in all of Star Wars

Hated Jar Jar. His character sounded like Uncle Tom Wars and then, to put a cherry on Cringe Mountain, Lucas started going back into his original movies and adding CGI, scenes, dialogue, etc. Awful. This, from a guy who made THX-1138, and American Graffiti. He used to have excellent film instincts and then he just lost his touch.

After three movies of C3PO, people should have known better. I have far less problems with jar jar than with ayydenakin.

>Revenge of the Sith
>dark and compelling
Now I understand why idiots like this memetic piece of shit.

>Revenge of the Sith is the movie George really wanted to make
Haha, no, not one bit.

People apparently liked this movie.

>it's dark so it's cool

Are you 12?

Hayden is a great actor. He just had shitty source material to work with.

My friends and I walked out of that theater in 99 thinking it was shit. We hated Jar Jar, but the movie would have sucked even if he wasn't in it.

People apparently think the MCU is the greatest thing in the history of cinema.

Point taken

objectively untrue. people have been bitching and making jokes about jar jar ever since the phantom menace came out. he's universally considered one of the most obnoxious characters ever created. and i'm pretty sure the average person isn't familiar with RLM

>Hayden is a great actor
I'm sure that's what he told producers to get some work.

t. someone who was 8 when TPM came out

That's the target audience Lucas was aiming for with SW after all.

shattered glass was kino

DM fight scene is the only one that has a strong choregraphy that's not dull sword clashing or retarded flailing.

yes, he was hated. the south park episode about the jakovasaurs was about jar jar and it was released a month after tpp released

People liked the movie at first, but Jar Jar was never very popular. George Lucas largely cut him out of the later movies just because the fan reaction was so volatile.

People hated it.

I've actually worked with a lot of the folks who worked on TPM with George Lucas, lead designers and such.

They said that Jar Jar was introduced late in the process, and was 100% Lucas' idea based on an in-joke he had with his young son involving bad Jamaican accents and duck/rabbit hybrid people.

Originally the character was a Jedi from an advanced aquatic society.

The production team met with George several times to advise against changing it to his Jar Jar idea, but George ultimately had veto power.

The funny thing is, everyone I spoke with loved working for George, even if they didn't always like his ideas. Apparently he is a very sweet guy.

>The funny thing is, everyone I spoke with loved working for George, even if they didn't always like his ideas. Apparently he is a very sweet guy.
That's probably why people were afraid to shoot him down. It's hard to tell someone their ideas are shit when they're full of childlike wonder and innocence.

>as a 9 year old at the time all i cared about were the lightsaber duels
I remember being floored by the difference in quality between the OT and TPM.

>hen attack of the clones came out though, i started to dislike the prequels
In a funny manner I found this one more satisfying than TPM back then, today I consider it utterly unwatchable and the worst SW movie to be made so far.
>by the time revenge of the sith came out, the prequels were considered bad and surprisingly revenge of the sith actually had considerably good reviews that most people's take away from it was that it was the best movie in the prequel trilogy
By the time I was done with RotS the prequel movies felt like utter crap, RotS felt more like a retarded fanfiction than what you'd expect from SW, this thing was spitting so hard on the OT while being desperate to wrap up the prequels it ended up being a clusterfuck of all of Lucas shortcomings coming together. I really have the impression that people liked it because "things were finally fucking happening" rather than because it was good at what it was doing.

The only people who didn't like it were manchildren who couldn't accept it was a different pile of crap from the pile of crap they were shoveled as a kid. The prequels are better than the original trilogy. By a lot.

>Jar Jar was introduced late in the process, and was 100% Lucas' idea based on an in-joke he had with his young son involving bad Jamaican accents and duck/rabbit hybrid people

Lucas never hid the fact that he made SW for children after all. Lucas is kind of a big child himself.

>Originally the character was a Jedi from an advanced aquatic society
This sounds so fucking cool.

>The production team met with George several times to advise against changing it to his Jar Jar idea, but George ultimately had veto power
Same old.

>The funny thing is, everyone I spoke with loved working for George
Watching the making of, he really feels like an adorable person with a clear lack of talent for storytelling. He has a hard time finding a middle ground between rigid and cartoonish.

>The prequels are better than the original trilogy
>By a lot

Elaborate.

Saw it in theaters when I was 11. I remember enjoying myself, but even at that young age feeling like it didn't hold a candle to the originals. I didn't ever devote much thought into exactly what went wrong until discovering Plinkett.

I'm not sure. I was 11 when TPM came out and loved it as did everyone in my class, but we were really little and in the intended demographic.

Prequels have tons of flaws but I've started to like them more after what a soulless abomination TFA was.

I know this is just reactionary and doesn't actually make the prequels any better, but I can't help it. lmao midiclorians will never irritate me as badly as resetting the results of ROTJ and somehow having it still be empire vs. rebels again for ANH 2.0 30 years later

>I remember being floored by the difference in quality between the OT and TPM.
weird how the original trilogy still looks good and the prequels look like dated garbage by comparison

>the reality of practical effects ages better than the constantly evolving technology of CGI

Wow really makes you think

When I first watched the prequels I just didn't enjoy them, but with subsequent rewatches I disliked them more and more. TFA is still more shit, at lease the prequels tried to expand the universe, and while they failed, TFA just contracted into a shitty and unoriginal version of ANH.

>prequels look like dated garbage by comparison
TPM has many scenes that still manage to look good.

AotC and RotS are painful greenscreen cancer.

never hated jar jar, did not see a problem with him.

BWAHAHAHAHA
>someone who wasn't there
Young children liked Jar Jar for the most part. That was George's plan. Same with Annie. He wanted to merchandise the hell outta this movie and get kids hooked. It was a mixed reaction for most people with some enjoying it while most criticized parts or most of the flick. Jar Jar was universally derided by practically everyone who wasn't a kid. As for the movie, there were a lot of people who lived in disbelief, years even, who would defend the movie before finally reconciling that Lucas had trashed their childhood and they had been duped.

YOUSA IN BIG DUDU

Literally everyone in the prequels have poor delivery. It's not Hayden's fault Lucas gave him literal shit to perform.

I was in the first grade when it came out and I remember enjoying it, I didn't notices the memes until I got older.
That movie gave me hours of fun with the all vidya developers pumped out so that probably helped.

I disliked it, but I also disliked C3PO un the originals.

This is the truth but ayyden still isn't a good actor. Hell Obi wan and Sheev turned out fine.

>Young children liked Jar Jar for the most part.

How young? Because I was 8 and thought he was shit and so did everyone at school. Or are you just an autistic manchild who still watches Cartoon Network and needs to go back to Sup Forums?

This is the same reason why he had mass murder of childern in his movie?

Bullshit. I saw it on original release in 1999 and I thought it was shit then. I don't know anyone who liked it.

you'd have an argument if not for the fact that the Plinkett reviews intentionally avoid talking about Jar Jar because 1. everyone complains about Jar Jar, and 2. the film has far worse problems than 1 annoying character.

Probably, yes. Wanted to give the edgy fans the darkness they asked for.

I was 11 when it came out and I thought he's alright. Still don't understand why he's supposedly more cringy than C3PO which is objectively the shittiest character in all of star wars.

I was 8 when I saw the Phantom Menace. For the most part I enjoyed myself. Highlights for me as I remember it the first time:
>Pretty good mix of practical/cgi effects
>Cool new settings
>Darth Maul is badass
>Qui-gon is cardboard man incarnate but still somehow made me care
>Obi was underdeveloped and cardboard man Jr
>Hated Jake Lloyd ("Are you an angel?" JESUS FUCKING CHRIST)
>Pod race was dope
>Muh politics was horrible
>The queen sounded like a robot
>Annie doesn't have a dad??? (reminder I was 8 and I thought this part was retarded... truly inspired Lucas)
>Enjoyed the final cgi army battle and duel of fates
>Movie ended on a somewhat somber note with the death of a Jedi only for there to be an upbeat parade immediately after the bonfire scene

Attack of the Clones is where I noticed the cgi took a nose dive. I think replacing real settings with blue screens and taking out 90% of practical effects (maybe even more) really hurt it. And it was filmed digitally as well? The Phantom Menace had an excellent "film" look to it. Like the picture itself just kind of glinted almost. I believe it was filmed with 35mm. It's similar to the first two Harry Potter movies directed by Chris Columbus. They have a magical golden aura about them that was lost as the series progressed. Same problem with Ep 2 + 3 imo, purely from a visual standpoint.

As a kid I just did not understand the movie. I did not know that Anakin was supposed to be Vader and I was buffled how it is connected to my movies about Luke, Han and Chewie. I was emotionaly cut off. RLM explained this isolation, but they are not responsible for creating it. I enjoyed III just because I was older and I understood the context and supposed tragedy behind it. But that was my overthiking, without that, the movie is cold and fails as a story.

episode 1 was well received when it first came out, critically acclaimed and loved by general audiences as well. The "le prequels were bad" slowly became a meme overtime

I was fucking 10 (T E N !) when Menace came out and loathed it. I didn't even know what RLM is until like 2 months ago, because guess what, there are people out there like me who don't give a shit about YouTube other than listening to a song here and there.

Jar Jar was never a huge standout for me, for the most part every episode has cringeworthy shit like this. Be it the ewoks or how progressively more retarded the battle droids sounded in Ep.3 to the point of outright running away from fights (fucking what?)
I think by far the worst thing that ever happened were the revisions to RotJ where there's that CGI band in Jabba's palace. That was just awful.

My kid brother and sister loved it. Jar Jar was one of the first figures they got. I was a senior in high school at the time and Darth Maul was the only thing I cared about.

Honestly, pretty much everything on Geonosis and the Coruscant underworld makes it far superior to TFA and RO in my opinion. That stuff is still great.

I didn't like Jar Jar but I didn't really paid attention to his antics, I was much more bothered by the other flaws of the film. It's far later that I realized Jar Jar crystallized all the hatred.

Based Ebert gave it 3.5/4 stars back then.

>Ebert
He hated The Thing, yet liked TPM? He has no taste in movies.

>Innocent Kids Use Jar Jar Dolls as Masturbation Toys!

South Park did an entire episode on how pointless and stupid this character's existence was the same yet the movie was released

>Innocent Kids Use Jar Jar Dolls As Masturbation Toys
>his innocent white hiney nestled into the new 7ft Jar Jar Binks doll
fucking what

The site is satire. Funny as fuck, though.
landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html

>Innocent kids use Jar Jar dolls for masturbation

>There are no confused prepubescent kids jacking it off to Jar Jar

I remember there was a lot of merchandise directly aimed at little kids with Jar Jar. Like, big Hollywood execs thought he was going to be a big hit with kids. It's just hilarious in retrospect to think how wrong they were.

I hate this cuck logic. He's a shitty actor who made his shitty dialogue even worse.

I loved Jar Jar as a kid. Never had a problem with him until I found the internet

>the revisions to RotJ where there's that CGI band in Jabba's palace

I couldn't rewatch the OT until the despecialized versions came out.

i've loved it since it came out.. granted i was a little shit only 5 years old but hey, i still like it.

dont mind jar jar either

Star Wars was aimed at 12 year olds, you idiot.

/thread

Hell, probably still better than however the hell this shit will turn out.

I liked him when I was a kid
Now not so much
I can't actually remember if I saw the original trilogy before this.

I was like 12 or 13 when it came out. I don't remember which day it was but I remember Foxtrot comics in the newspaper had been hyping the shit out TPM coming out for months. Like the creator was a big Star Wars nerd. Think it was maybe like the next Wednesday after TPM came out where he did a strip where the faggot nerd kid character is struggling with the cognitive dissonance of having been so fucking hype and coming to terms with the movie being shit.

I saw the movie on opening day in a packed house of fanboys. The theater was noticeably quiet at the end. I was confused about what the fuck happened tbphwyf after the first time I saw it. I didn't really know if it was bad or if I just didn't get something. I didn't get how it could be so fucking off the mark from what I loved about the PT.

It didn't become a meme to hate it. Within a year everyone had seen the shit and the general consensus, particularly among the middle-schoolers, was the TPM was a terrible kids movie. If anyone talked about the prequels they where probably talking about how retarded they where or how much better the originals where etc.

It became a meme to pretend they weren't dogshit when the faggots like you that where babbies when they came out got old enough to use a computer. You're allowed to like a bad movie. Stop pretending they're good.

Didn't they scrap the footage of that one black dude wearing the costume in favor of a pure-CGI character? I'd imagine that would have happened to MJ too.

you where the faggot normie kid

He changed his mind about the thing and put it on his "great movies" list

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakovasaurs

most people couldn't stand his ass from day one, it's evident in the reviews that came out in the first few weeks.

>Literally no one mentions how bad the prequels were before the RLM review
>Suddenly afterwards people hate on the prequels

hmm...............

>“People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems — it’s not about spaceships."
-George Lucas

He's always been willing to say anything to make himself seem in the right about complaints.

TPM videogame is absolute kino