Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_WCiBPjckTg
youtube.com/watch?v=a9GoWGnFzGA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just want a Babycakes show

I just want more of this sex goddess

this. christ, pony is a PILE of sex. i want to hug her so goddamn badly
aaand this. i wish it was good.
But you know, nothing's stopping it from being good LATER, right?

I WANNA LIVE ON A MOUNTAIN

not gonna expand on this
naw
not gonna build on this
just gonna reiterate
not tryina get clever with lyrics
just sayin wanna live on a mountain
aw
unh
other rap noises

see even i can do better

I enjoyed it.

I expected a bunch of late night stoner comedy I could half-pay attention to as I drift off to sleep and that's what I got.

I'm sure it'd be more annoying if I watched it at any time other than a quarter to midnight but whatever.

i mean, adult swim's usual fare is stoner comedy, but at least it has some semblance of fucking jokes.

>China is never coming back.

I liked the musical number God's roommate did.

It has potential. I've laughed a few times, so thats a good start.

>That fucking sketch where those girls are talking for three minutes with no joke
>It's actually just three minutes of randumb shit like "i wish I could just be eyes"
It's literally NOTHING. There is nothing there. God, sketch "comedy" has always been garbage but this takes the cake

I think the joke is they're supposed to be those vapid young adult girls who try to sound deep by talking about being present and open through halfassed poorly thought out metaphors.

it at least seemed to be trying. but there's so much potentch in the concept and all he did was eat the guy's food
actually that one was my favorite. I felt it did the best

Nothing really lasts long enough to love or hate. The Fruit Blood songs gave me a chuckle.

That was one of my favorite parts.

DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!
I'M TRYING TO CLIMAX!

I think a big part of Brad Neely's style has always been in the way he unpacks concepts. When his characters deal with the trivialities and nuances of life and philosophy they wrestle with analogy, use mixed and obscene metaphor and repeat motifs where it's unclear. The Professor Bros. shorts were really good about this (1). Babycakes also explored a version of this with the diary where musings on life were examines through the lexicon of a fantasy obsessed manchild with the visuals in the shorts to contradict or confirm his outlandish musings as they see fit which I think the television show missed out on to some degree.

His humor also liberally used the absurd and fantastical as a counterpoint to the mundanity of life. Where as personal struggles were wrestled with with sloppy metaphor the fantastical or divine are taken at face value and met with stark uncuriosity.

I think that Sclopio Peeplio succeeds more with the latter more than the former, some of the people writing might not understand the style of humor at a structural level, that or Neely's lost the magic touch.

(1)youtube.com/watch?v=_WCiBPjckTg

>Hey let me copy Seth Green/Robot Chicken. They got 8 seasons of this.

i think the problem is they basically told us "we need 12 11-minute episodes of this, get crackin'" and he realized 132 minutes of shorts is KIND OF A LOT so he just started shitting into the mic and hoping something came out

ADDENDUM:
I've never really thought that full animation complemented the timing of Neely's comedy very well but that might just be my nostalgia. The LIL PERF skit[?] clearly had the character exiting offscreen in a puff of smoke even if his lines started halfway across the screen which fits Neely's storyboarding style but translated very confusingly to full frame animation.

that shit's funny though.

Every time I'm feeling really down about things in life, I watch this video and it always pulls me through.

youtube.com/watch?v=a9GoWGnFzGA

Thank you, Brad Neely (who will never read this).

At least that has full sketches at times. The longest this has is like 20 second long clips of someone swinging a random song. They don't put even half ass effort to anything else. Hope the show fixed itself though because I'd hate to see it just destroy itself the way it is.

>i think the problem is they basically told us "we need 12 11-minute episodes of this, get crackin'"

On the off chance that you work at Titmouse or William's street or whatever I'd be interested in hearing some superficial facts about Neely's creative process which I've wondered about in terms of how improvised it is and how much influence his designs and boards have on the filmic style of the final product.

I went to Titmouse Brooklyn once when they were working on China IL season 3 I think but it seemed like there was just a lot of slaving over flash rigs. [Ands a brief discussion on the style guide specifying anatomically correct hands, which I found funny considering how hands look in everything I've seen drawn by him]

what do you mean? his hands are always anatomically correct, they're just weirdly simplified sometimes. kinda like yellow submarine where touching fingers fuse outlines together..
actually a lot of his art has a weird 'roughly traced photograph' look to it.

Are you sure you're thinking of Neely? From what I recall he pretty much always goes for the gold and tries to draw all of the fingers and just winds up super simplifying them into amebic sausages, usually when they're folded they look like they're hand shaped paper cutouts wrapped around a paper cutout.

Don't get me wrong though, I liked this style. I thought there was some kind of ballsy audacity to trying to approach some kind of realism in proportion even if you fall short on technicality. It made the cartoons kind of gritty and relatable even if they weren't artistically grand accomplishments. That might be nostalgia talking though.

I just thought it was funny that he'd discard the grittyness and be like "Perfect ligne claire flash rigs and perfect ligne claire hands, that's my style, immaculately rendered hands"

huh. maybe my china IL memories are bleeding into my old neely short memories
but you see kinda what i mean, i mean, he was looking at a reference of a hand really doing that when he drew those, they make sense from a silhouette point of view.

In fucking Neelyland there's all this weird shit and people are down with that. Vampires, wizards, God, there are unspoken rules, and everybody knows 'em. They get that shit. Real life man, that shit's hard people can't handle real life it's weird and nobody knows how to explain it. Put 'em together and that's fuckin' humor.

I get it; there's an earnestness in it all. All the parts are there but the understanding of what a hand really is in a constructionist Loomis kind of way is missing. As an artist he's showing his ..uh . Well, he's not hiding his reference taking wile still attempting realistic verisimilitude and that's pretty ballsy.

yeah it's pretty damn unique

think well get any professor brothers sketches?

I'd really like that, I wouldn't get my hopes up because China IL was basically the Professor Brothers show, but the Babycakes song has returned some of my deflated hopes.

Adulterated hopes, half inflated.

Don't squeeze my expectations, Sclopio Peeplio!

Read an AV club article that said Harg Nallin' was supposed to exist at the same time as China, IL and actually had a lot of China IL content included, but once China got cancelled they cut all the China stuff except for two Babycakes songs.

>Cutting anything out of a show ever
the fuck. why would you do that? at this point that's the only thing that could save it
if anything, wouldnt that content be LESS welcome while china IL is still running? because it'd be redundant?
i think that AV club article is full of shit. if they used the actual title then they are definitely lying, because until a few weeks ago the title was 'TV Sucks' and they changed it last minute

China IL wasn't that great
she ruined the show for me the most, worthless "voice of reason" character

something's wrong with you, my good chum.
here's a tip, and this should give you some idea of how wrong you are: she wasn't, nor was meant to be, the voice-of-reason character.
not every woman is automatically that.