Why do people like this horrible flick?

Why do people like this horrible flick?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S-s4lEk91ng
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's actually good, you dumb cunt.

why do anons start such horrible threads?

What do you like about it?

It was literally made to be a comedy and no one realised

tits and violence
duh

Because it's great
Would you like to know more?

>>muh scifi

Why do people still don't talk to you irl?

because memes

nude casper van dien in his prime

>muh muh why don't I like what other people like
>n-no one cared as much when my fav space odyssey came out

I love the movie, one of my favorites. Why do I love the movie? The movie does everything it wants to do, it set the bar on a certain level and it reaches that level. And when the movie reaches that level it does so flawlessly.
Another good example of that is Drive or the first Conan the Barbarian, all these movies achieves what is wants to achieve.

After watching the movie about 10+ times now and still loving it, I have that as the only possible answear to why this movie is great.

Did you even bother to read the book?
It's a great movie, recommended reading for any military guy.

are you one of those retards who don't realize it's a satire

I'M FROM Sup Forums AND I SAY

BANE

Wait so by this metric aren't shit like grown ups or jack and jill awesome movies? They are doing exactly what they set out to do in terms of humor.

I don't think many people realized it was a satire when it first came out which resulted in it's low-to-mediocre reviews.
Years later with a new perspective, critics are starting to realize how great it really was.

Yeah, if you want to watch garbage that wants to produce millions, yes. If you want to watch kino then its Starship Troopers.

I think you dont realize that even satire of fascism often makes it sound appealing

only if you're a fucking moron

I am not the OP and this is the single best thread on Sup Forums right now.

Starship Troopers is among the worst films that I have ever seen. And I like schlock. I like Aliens for Christ's sake.

But this is pure idiocy. I don't care about the source text, or the tongue-in-cheek, or any of it. It doesn't work. It never has worked, and when I hear that someone likes this picture, I think less of them as a person by default.

I had to leave the room during the last 20 minutes or so, above all why? Because I was /bored/. They're in a cave or something, whoop-de-doo. I came back around the climax. Oh now Doogie Howser is going to pronounce on the conquest. What's he say...? Let's have an A+ line now guys.

"It's Afraid!"

Dogshit movie. If you disagree, then you are wrong.

Good post. You should give yourself a pat on the back.

>americans in charge of recognizing satire
thx

There are people in this thread that apparently don't realise that it's satire

Nothing about it was appealing.

Them cheering with joy after he says "it's afraid" is one of the funniest moments in the movie

>too stupid to understand satire

Just end it man.

because DUDE SATIRE LMAO

Nigga what? I'd sign up for Mobile Infantry right now if it existed.

>Sick armour
>Sick weapons
>Citizenship
>Communal showers

notice how every veteran had some kind of horrible injury?

And?

When Aliens came out there was a lot of people who wished they'd gotten to see the Marines doing their job in other situations. This movie is basically that, except more lighthearted.

It's a plot that you just didn't get to see, outside of bad B-movies that looked horrible.

>good goy, go off to the slaughterhouse so we can control the population-levels and keep our militaristic society alive even though we have to fabricate enemies to fight!
>appealing

t. brainlet

Because it makes people feel smart without having to actually having to be smart

t. Beta Nu-male

Say hello to your wifes black son for me

coed shower

>Starship Troopers is among the worst films that I have ever seen. And I like schlock. I like Aliens for Christ's sake.
Subtle bait

not everything is for you
have even a little perspective

Aliens is schlock

I cannot possibly fathom how somebody could not realize that it was satire.

Here, have this (you) and fuck off.

I first saw it when I was like 12 and wasn't sure if it was supposed to be serious or not. It does have that b movie vibe

That's acceptable because you were a child.

A fully functioning adult should know better.

.t Goldstein

I've talked to two different people who didn't think it was satire, said it was their favourite movie and that they joined the military because of how awesome the movie was.

The military will apparently take in any retard.

It is.

>show a beautiful patriotic direct democracy
>lmao just because I'm pointing out a system I don't agree with its satire XD
It is satire, but it's terrible satire. It's a great genuine film. Love it.

Because they have good taste and you have poor taste.

>beautiful

user, it shown to only work by fabricating a war against an endless alien race, because without an outside force to fight against(and thus a reason to sign up and become a citizen) the system collapses under its own uselessness. That is not what I'd call beautiful.

no. they aim for external metrics more specifically the cheaply produced, post theatrical, shared with direct to dvd sequel market.

theres a name for it cant think of at the moment

I don't think the war is fabricated, but I do note the over emphasized military. If that's society's only problem, I still call it a great success.
Nothing wrong with having to serve to become a full citizen. Meritocracy at its finest.

>I don't think the war is fabricated
>managing to fall for blatant propganda in a literal movie

>Shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs

Let me guess; the asteroid scene? Nope, I reject it. Especially since bugs are savages. Even if I were to cede the point to you, it's a preemptive strike.

that book sucked, barely any action just political speaches, heinlein's politics at the time were absolutely laughable

he wrote many better books, glory road for instance

Literally the only times the bugs were aggressive to humans was when humans invaded their natural habitat.

prove him wrong

it's honestly baffling, the movie wasn't even subtle in its mockery

Action, tits, barney's character, teacher character, rico growing as a person, overall energy of the troops. Also creepy in a good way, good pacing though i can't 100% confirm because last time i saw it couple of years ago. The "want to know more" stuff. Now i can also appreciate it for the satire and stuff but when i first saw it I didn't catch any of it.

>I don't think the war is fabricated

Oh yeah the aliens just farted rocks from the other side of the galaxy and managed to hit Earth just in time to whip up a furor in the younger generation and make them sign up, just as societal dissent is starting to show due to the uselessness and waste of resources inherent in basing society around military service when there's nothing to defend yourself against. Even if they were farting into wormholes so the rock could reach us before either of our species went extinct they still wouldn't be able to calculate trajectories since they can't see into space.

And let's suppose that they DID manage to compute how to hit Earth and did fart at FTL speeds, then you still wouldn't be sending grunts to die on the ground against an alien swarm when you've got fucking space-travel technology. Unless, of course, you wanted to have lots of people killed off to help with population control(you already need a license to have a kid) and lots of veterans sent on home who'll perpetuate the system because in the system they're revered instead of pitied.

Face it kid, you fell for the propaganda.

Why didn't ur mom get an abortion?

You're not listening what I said. Even if the asteroid was real, bugs needed to be stopped. Especially if you know about them from the book.

Kill yourself cuck.

>cuck cuck cuck

>Especially if you know about them from the book
The book and the movie are two discrete entities. The movie's script was created independently of the book and the Starship Troopers name was only used later because of the similarities in plot

>bugs were peaceful they dindu nuffun
Really, it's not even Sup Forums
You're just that fucking leddit.

>tits

Those were probably the most disappointing tits in the history of cinema

>bugs needed to be stopped.

You're obviously not listening to what I just said. You don't fucking stop the bugs by sending in a bunch of guys with rifles to run around on the ground and go into their goddamn anthills. You just bomb the entire planet with chemical warfare munitions that'll wipe out the whole species without some fucker having to waltz into their den with a nuke, or you use your spacetravel-technology to just bombard the planet from outside of orbit until it goes into a nuclear winter and they die off that way. There's literally no reason to put boots on the ground when the only way the enemy can win is if you put boots on the ground. The marines weren't capturing key strategic positions or taking over the planet one grid-point at a time, they were just bussed in to fight the bugs at different random locations that they then abandoned, and they always got fucking slaughtered even when they "won".

Not only did the bugs not need to be stopped because they weren't a real threat, they WEREN'T stopped exactly because the government needed to perpetuate the war, not win it.

>the book.
The book obviously holds no relevance to the movie, they're two different stories.

Was Heinlein right?

>i think less of them as a person

Hide your face with your fedora.

Adding to this - the gov. was not just using this to perpetuate the war, but there are hints throughout the movie that it was the human government that started the conflict to begin with

If we're counting the sequels you've also got the fact that veterans protesting against the war and government, as is their right as full citizens, are hanged on live television.

Even the first movie has that segment where it's just "this murderer was caught yesterday and sentenced to die without any trial today, watch him die live tomorrow!". It's not exactly hard to see a problem with that set-up as far as individual rights go and the chance of abuse inherent in the system.

>it's satire

lolno, you idiots need to realize the core audience was teenage boys

>horrible flick
fuckin normies go to hell

youtube.com/watch?v=S-s4lEk91ng
yeah such a straight movie

everything

That's fucking fantastic. It's ironic, like 90s Marvel quips, only better. I don't see a problem.

you think the child holding carrying a gun and yelling out "I'LL DO MY PART" isn't satirical?

It's just funny and kind of ironic. It shows that society is self aware about gun fetishism.

Heinlein was ahead of his time and right in every way. Kids of today can't fathom his politics because they all grown up in a privileged bubble after america became the domineering superpower of the world.

think you might be a bit thick mate

>SERVICE GUARNTEES CITIZENSHIP
reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with this and would be very beneficial for any nation

Yeah, sure, let's just give power to nationalistic retards, nothing wrong with that.

as opposed to giving power to everyone?

>sacrificing a period of your life for your nation turns you into a neocon
god youre retarded

I agree that suffrage is fundamentally flawed, but best choice of action would be to give voting rights to educated people, and not military personnel.

lol how does anyone not realise it's satire? it's completely un-nuanced which is one of the aspects i hated about it.

>military personnel cant be educated
theres an argument that life experience can outweigh certain education.

I bet you haven't served in the military nor will you do it.

even by that logic, all officers would have voting rights, as well as a large amount of nco's. civilian education is now required for promotion in the military, as well as what they call professional military education which is comparable to baccalaureate and graduate level courses.

If you knew jack from shit, you'll know that those who have lived through the hell of war would be the most cautious of voting for more war.

Go be an edgy teen back on refit, they love your idiocy there.

>A degree in womyns studies should give you suffrage

that's where you're wrong kiddo. did 8 years active duty.

What about those who can't serve?

it doesn't exclusively mean military service. in the book there's all types of federal service they can do

In the book there were other ways to serve your nation.
And even without citizenship you were still granted many rights just not suffrage.

Is that a Nintendo leak?

Service in the military? No. Service in the fashion that Heinlein swore he'd always meant, despite focusing entirely on military service in his stories? Could have its merits, but we're on Sup Forums so fuck discussing it.

There's one point in the movie that immediately shows it to be ill-conceived: one character mentions that she joined up because she wants to have kids and being a citizen makes it likelier that you're allowed to. That is a silly idea. Serving in the military does not give you a better chance of being a good parent, if anything you're more likely to be a worse parent than if you hadn't served, either due to physical war-wounds or mental ones. This is true for most things in society, which is the reason why so many human societies had warrior castes. The idea that a man knows more about farming policies or which politician will enact the better policies because he shot a gun is foolish.