Politicalness of Angry Birds and Zootopia

So I watched Zootopia first and I was totally shocked by how extremely political it was. I felt like it was sinister almost, teaching the lesson that you shouldn't - even if all the evidence suggests these predictors are dangerous - just don't even make a fuss about it because it might make the public freak out. A very left/liberal message.
And then Angry Birds was the opposite, totaly right wing: It was like a commentary on mass immigration. At first there was only one guy who saw the threat/danger and wanted to protect his nation (america?).

It's weird to me because I feel like the cartoon movies I grew up with weren't political at all - although there was a good deal of environmentalism in some of them. I don't really know if it's good or bad, definitely unsettling a bit. What are your thoughts on this stuff Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8C9K3LEpm0k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There is a bunch of hidden racism in The Jungle Book since the original autor was really racist

do you think any of it came out in the disney movie? I wouldn't really know or have noticed it as a kid but I feel like it probably didn't?

That wasn't the message of Zootopia at all

>Professors are demanding that the Walt Disney Company make a less racist version of the beloved cartoon film “Jungle Book,” which depicted a society of apes that was obviously meant to demean black people, according to academia.
really? :/
aren't the people claiming that racist?

>I feel like the cartoon movies I grew up with weren't political at all
Partly because you were too young to notice and mostly because you just took what they were saying as a given.

youtube.com/watch?v=8C9K3LEpm0k

>america?.
Angry Birds is Finnish.

I never saw this one because it was banned though.

Reminds me of very racist stereotyping in some of the older loony tunes though.

daily reminder

>tfw the preds in Zootopia are white people
>always getting blamed for shit they did in the past
>have to use safe language around prey so as not to offend them

well yeah it's set in a fictional world. it doesn't matter much I was just thinking about the freedom eagle

Well yes, the freedom eagle represents America (at least in the conservative Finnish mind) - fat, lazy, stupid and slightly insane but at heart a decent person who will help out when the chips are down.

I attended an early screening of the angry birds movie before it was finalized, and like 90% of the people there also thought it was about the refugee crisis (despite the script being like 4 years old, massively predating the crisis).
People see what they want to see.

if there is one instance of divine power given to each person, just once for one time, i would use it so you and your entire lineage will never again enjoy anything ever again because the person creating it weren't up to your standard, and that standard will never be met.

It's The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs.

Congratulations, you are dumber than the 6 year olds those movies were aimed at.

Seriously, Judy's speech at the end of Zootopia is one of the smartest and most balanced "we all are different and have different limitations" messages in history of movies. It actually tells you that some stereotypes are there because they are real, but you don't have to be one. That you need to work hard for your dreams to come true. That others should be judged for their actions and not for things like race or gender.

It is a liberal message in the most positive meaning of that word. Basically, don't be a dick for no reason. And that's it. No other agenda there.

>predators get no trust
>prey get no respect
>but large prey are actually the ones with the most privilege and get trust and respect
>small predators get no trust or respect

>Angry Birds was the opposite, totaly right wing: It was like a commentary on mass immigration
Are you on drugs? It was the bog standard "no such thing as a free lunch/if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" trope that's old as fucking dirt. Have you never heard the phrase "beware Greeks bearing gifts"?

They weren't refugees NOR immigrants they were like the aliens in V or To Serve Man, FFS.

You're just projecting like a motherfucker is all.

what you are describing sounds like a good description on what is happening in Europe.

>People see what they want to see.
well its not about THAT specific crises but mass immigration in general?

>use the person creating it weren't up to your standard, and that standard will never be met.
chill dude he only said it's racist, not that it's bad

you're a retard

>space aliens with stupidly advanced technology who appear like Angels and promise to share the cure for cancer and clean energy out of the goodness of their enlightened and advanced hearts who turn out to be grocery shopping for people meat (one a Twilight Zone episode from 1962 and the other a TV mini series from 1983 based on the anti-fascist classic " It Can't Happen Here")
>Sup Forumslacks take: "sounds like the EU!"

>They weren't refugees NOR immigrants
they were invaders pretending to be immigrants!

>space aliens
what are you talking about? We were talking about angry birds

>you're a retard
And your tiny tiny hands are *adorable*!

of course Angry birds is not an allegory at all, that's why the pigs came in a boat filled with tnt lying about their numbers, the beard of their king is also just a coincidence.
Stay shilled Sup Forumscksucker

i haven't watched zootopia but why are people refered to as predators or prey when they don't eat each other?

go back to gawker

because they naturally are preditors/prey despite their silly utopian society that tries to ignore that

>the pigs who show up with technology so advanced it seems like magic to the birds; and who are only there to steal their eggs and fuck off back to where they came from; are an allegory to current Western Europe.
You're not even trying with this.

It has historical significance as explained in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

>teaching the lesson that you shouldn't - even if all the evidence suggests these predictors are dangerous - just don't even make a fuss about it because it might make the public freak out. A very left/liberal message.
You mean, a very stupid interpretation of the message. what it is actually saying is to not jump to conclusion and not let fear have the better of you and affect how you perceive people, individual, who have never hurt you.

It's not about "not making a fuss". It's about not going to hysteria when you don't know exactly what is going on.

>why are people refered to as predators or prey when they don't eat each other?
They don't CURRENTLY eat each other. This isn't like a Donald Duck cartoon where the funny animals are basically just stand ins for normal people; the prey animals were still being eaten by the predators in the not that distant past.

what are you talking about?
did you really watch the same movie as us?

>King Pig is a blatant Ramzan Kadyrov lookalike
>It has nothing to do with Muslims, guys!

Only thing it lacked was the king demanding the birds to send him tribute after the war, else the pigs come back and push them some more.

>I didn't even watch the movie
Jesus Christ, user.

it's like you're destroying racism with each post!

it doesn't even matter about the intentions of the authors. We as viewers can draw parallels to events and ideas that we see in real life.

Okay first of all Angry Birds is a European joint, okay? Yes the story can be taken as a very politician thing but only because it dropped now. If this dropped in, say, '07 no one would've thought a thing about it because, "Beware of bad guests." is a story as old as civilization.

Zootopia is political but a hell of a lot subtler than you say; Judy's mistake was relaying facts she didn't confirm, not trying to minimize the damage the savage attacks caused. The villain exploited prejudices on both sides of the pred/prey isle to further her political goals, and in the end their victory over her didn't make those issues go away, just give Judy and Nick some insight into their own biases and the hard work it takes to overcome them.

It was PRETTY distant, Bogo considers savage attacks on other animals something from the stone age and we see animals in loin cloths making agreements not to eat each other.

thanks! I appreciate the good insightful comments!

It does when you use those parallels to censor or criticize the work.

The birds are fascinated with the new culture, the TNT and the sling are just strange for the birds, because they are not used to violence.

>btw, They don't just steal the eggs, they want to destroy them, and they also destroy the birds civilization.

if you say you can't see the similarities, then you are in denial

oh a nos they have beards it must be the moo-slams only they grow beards!

OP this would be easier if you named your 5 favorite cartoon movies as a kid and 3 favorite TV shows and any comics and we can analyse them. Otherwise this topic will fall apart like a fart in the wind.

this pic is pretty tin foil to be honest

>that pic

It always was tbqh f4m

Lion King
The Rescuers
BFG
Snow White
Toy Story

y would they tho
if they were always basically just animal looking humans and could talk to each other

Like the important thing to remember about Zootopia is that while they went political they did it allegorically.

The fox isn't black, he's a fox who has his own fox prejudices and in turn suffers prejudices for traits we associate with 'fox'. People think he's sneaky, mean, and always up to something.

Do some of these line up with what some people think when they see a black guy? Sure, but that's not the point of the allegory and there's a lot more you can do with it than "prey white/preds minorities."

>lifts index finger like most islamists
Pointing is a Muslim thing now?

yes it is, look it up

The joke with this was they were overstating everything because everyone knew going in that the pigs were bad.

Then reviewers AGREED with them and suddenly they decided to act like it was a redpill thing.

Yeah, it sort of falls apart with the police force/government being mainly predator, the references to the sheep vote, the rabbits being disadvantaged.

Generally the metaphor gets lost in itself.

I didn't watch Angry Birds (because who has time for that shit) but I was under the impression that it was supposed to be about colonialism. It's about Muslims?

Allegory.

Fairy tales are allegories, not metaphors. If a movie about animals makes a direct metaphor a key plot point, then it had failed. That's why Zootopia is good.

Idiots tend to seek only shallow metaphores and when they do not find them they claim the movie falls apart (those 3 negative reviwws on RT), when they should be looking for much broader allegories.

I mean no it doesn't. That's the point, its a setting with its OWN racial (or, well, species) biases. Pred and prey is the biggest barrier but its not the only one, that's what's so cool about it.

Wasn't the Angry Birds movie shit, though? I heard even the kids in the audience got bored.

>even if all the evidence suggests these predictors are dangerous
all the evidence didn't suggest that
only one piece of evidence did and no one bothered looking for more

its similar to the anti-intellectualism of the right
don't bother looking further at things, just judge a book by its cover and move on

not a great movie but I don't know what people were expecting from another movie based on a video game

my kid wasn't bored, though

well it's just a cartoon and you can read it in various ways I guess.

I actually loved it, so much fun when they were firing themselves at the pigs city

Pointing in the air with your right index finger is.

>preds are white
I thought they were black people, but it does make sense when you think about it.

No, those are all pretty much direct references. So how the fuck would it be tinfoil?

I mean even if it was shit its not necessarily racist shit.

Lets be real here, both sides have an anti-intellectual streak, especially recently. The evidence was pretty compelling until Judy pieced together that the predators were being drugged.

Both. People in general don't seem to realize that what the colonists did in America is what migrants want to do in general.

You know that meme where the Native American is like "great, you want immigrants to leave? When are you going?" That's usually spread by lefties who think immigration is a good thing, but it's actually a great explanation of why it isn't.

It's better than it has any right to be. If you go in with the mindset it's a big political message, it's much funnier than it otherwise would be.
Also, the yellow bird is entertaining as hell and makes it worth it, even though he had all the right elements to be annoying as fuck.

Congratulations, you just uncovered the beauty of analysis!
Now go back to Sup Forums.

>Lets be real here, both sides have an anti-intellectual streak, especially recently.
even if that were true, it's nothing compared to the havoc the right has wreaked on education
we actually had a candidate for president who believed the earth was four thousand years old and the pyramids were grain silos
because the right is all about "its like I told you" and not "it's based on fact"
>The evidence was pretty compelling until Judy pieced together that the predators were being drugged.
there was no evidence, that's the point
they didn't even look into it
they just grabbed predators who had gone crazy and didn't bother looking into the root of the issue
they just thought it was something predators do

Zootopia's ending is the typical Hollywood's coup-out of making an uncomfortable question but putting all the blame on the villain so let's pretend nothing happened

Plot twist. Zootopia is about Muslims and Hillery and is more political

>Hillery is the sheep
>Islam is the drug

Everyone on this thread needs to chill, Ya'll reading too much into these movies. just sayin'

The Paris and Köln thing are bullshit because this was made months before those happened.
But everything else actually lines up pretty nicely.