IT WILL STILL BE SO
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO

why was this movie so damn GOOD?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lkiXvE2YwYk
youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4
youtube.com/watch?v=k2R07EbLjSU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You just posted lyrics to one of the songs, which is your answer. The music fucking made that movie.

reminder that moses was the original terrorist and that he and his people killed and destroyed anyone who didn't believe in his god. even killed the tribe of nomads who saved him from the desert because they still prayed to their old gods

That movie was so visually impressive. Like look at that facial animation.

youtube.com/watch?v=lkiXvE2YwYk

Well it worked didn't it?

The writing was good, the music was good and the animation was amazing. Dreamworks at that stage knew how to use color and light to its advantage more than any other production company this (and road to el dorato) should have revolutionized things and set a new standard for how movies look and feel, but it seems we went wrong somewere

The movie was the last great accomplishment of traditional American animation before it was raped to death by CGI

It's not consistently great, but the highs are amazing. Deliver Us and the Burning Bush scene were both superb.

>that he and his people killed and destroyed anyone who didn't believe in his god
No they didn't, they were perfectly willing to pass by pagans who didn't trouble and coexist with them. God ordered them to destroy certain groups for their wickedness, which was centuries in the making, or attacking Israel itself.

>even killed the tribe of nomads who saved him from the desert
No, he didn't. Desert Santa's group isn't synonymous with all Midians. The group the Israelites attacked was for tempting them with apostasy in a specific effort to weaken and destroy Israel.

>yfw "I SEND THE LOCUST ON THE WIND"

>implying terrorism is bad
I've got 13 formerly British colonies that says otherwise

>why was this movie so damn GOOD?
Good question. Animated movies are tricky because there are often multiple directors credited and it's difficult to say how much control they had and who was the most influential one. In this case it was probably a 50/50 split between Simon Wells and Brenda Chapman.

Also god damn, Wells flopped himself out of directing for a decade with Time Machine, and then probably killed his career for good with Mars Needs Moms.

Once I called you brother
Once I thought the chance to make you laugh
Was all I ever wanted...
And even now I wish that God
Had chose another
Serving as your foe on his behalf
Is the last thing that I wanted...This was my home
All this pain and devastation
How it tortures me inside
All the innocent who suffer
From your stubbornness and pride...You who I called brother
Why must you call down another blow?Let my people go
Thus saith the Lord

youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4

>mfw there can be miracles, if you believe
>Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill
>Who knows what miracles you can achieve,
>When you believe somehow you will,
>You will when you believe

This movie is actually hilarious garbage because in the process of making the plot more complex they made their villain so sympathetic that the original biblical intent is blasted out of the water. This movie told me "God is good and Moses wins" and I walked away with it thinking "I'm so glad I'm an atheist because I wanna marry Ramses"

Also the movie is so good on a technical level because the creators were a bunch of Disney defectors who were known at the time for making The Lion King. So basically all the heavy hitters of the 90s got together and decided to show up Disney, so they had to put their all into it.

I got chills at "AND THERE SHALL BE A GREAT CRY HEARD THROUGHOUT EGYPT SUCH AS THERE HAS NEVER BEEN, NOR EVER WILL BE AGAIN".

Why does the movie become garbage by retelling the story of Exodus in a way that makes Ramses more sympathetic and egyptians less like one-dimensional villains?

>tfw traditional animation will never make a huge comeback in America
>tfw everything from now on will always be light hearted CG movies

Rameses is more sympathetic but he's still pretty unabashedly the villain

Traditional animation won't come back as long as movies are made on a for-profit basis. No amount of crowdfunding can cover the costs of a feature lenght animated film that doesn't use automated animating software like flash.

Man listen your faith or lack thereof is your prerogative but as a general rule in life and especially on the internet don't go boasting about your atheism.
Regardless if they are or not, every time someone says "I'm glad i'm an atheist" they just sound like a huge narcissistic asshole on par with any holier than thou Wednesday and Sunday service Christian.
Seriously if you want people to know you don't believe in God then keep that shit agnostic or vaguely nihilistic and people will put two and two together.
Otherwise you are just asking to be dismissed as an "intellectual" fedora tipper.

>my church did a low-budget stage play of this movie
>I was Hotep, the tall priest

Memorizing all the Egyptian deity names at the beginning of "Playing with the Big Boys Now" was the hardest part of my role desu.

don't worry user! there's always sausage party!
please end me

total atheist, but I went to Catholic school in Canada

The bible is so fucking hardcore, I swear the film actually struck fear into my heart

>I SEND MY SCOURGE
>I SEND MY SWORD
>THUS SAITH THE LORD

The bible is pretty fucking metal at times.

24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land.

Depending on how you read the "burning sulfur...out of the heavens" part, God just up and dropped a fucking meteorite on Sodom and Gomorrah.

Every song is great. Even "Playing with the Big Boys" which is pretty much the weakest song in the movie is pretty good.
Through Heaven's Eyes is my favorite

He is also the originator of the mob golden rule.
No witnesses.
>Pro tip if God tells you not to look when he ices two fucking cities you keep your eyes on your husband and daughters's asses.

THIS
WAS
MY
HOME
ALL THIS PAIN AND DEVASTATION, HOW IT TORTURES ME INSIDEEEEE!
GIVE IT BACK, IT WAS OURS, DAMMIT! START, TALKING, BITCH!

Wasn'the her real sin that of vanity? She looked back longing for what she had.

If I lost all I had in an instant, I'd be salty too.

LET MY MOMMY GOOOOOOOOO

That spoiler is gold.
And you're right but it's funnier to imagine God transmutated a bitch cause she couldn't follow directions.

MUD.
SAND.
WATER.
STRAW.
FASTERRR!

Impure thoughts

Rameses did nothing wrong.

THUS SAITH THE HACK
THUS SAITH THE ZACK

Well he was justified in the film but he did do bad things.

>Boy, I sure enjoyed that 'Playing with the Big Boys' song! Nice tune, very colorful! What's next?
>Oh. Oh fucking shit.

>they made their villain so sympathetic
Except Ramses was always a sympathetic villain. It was Ra who continuously hardened his heart against Moses and the plight of his people. Its why the final plague is YHWH killing Ra and putting out the sun.

DELIVER UUUUUUS
SEND THE SNYDER, TO SNYDER US
AND DELIVER US TO THE KINO LAND

DELIVEEEERRRUSSSSS
HOME.

I SEND MY SCOURGE, I SEND MY SWORD

Wait, what? There is no god but Yaweh, he didn't win the Godbowl or something. He himself hardened the Pharaoh's heart to prove a point to Moses or something, I don't know, OT god was a dick

Nah, monotheism only really became a thing with the new testament. Old testament was Yahweh fucking with other gods. Jews were the only ones who believed in ONE god, but at the time they accepted that others existed.

I got them during the burning bush scene.

WHO MADE MAN'S MOUTH
THE DEAF, THE SEEING OR THE BLIND?
DID NOT I?

NOW GO

Shit, I just listed to Plagues again. Just that first opening crescendo literally had my hands trembling.

I send a pestilence and plague
Into your house, into your bed
Into your streams, into your streets
Into your drink, into your bread
Upon your cattle, on your sheep
Upon your oxen in your field
Into your dreams, into your sleep
Until you break, until you yield

Other beings were worshipped, but they were later handwaved to be demons or false idols.

old testament was hardcore and pretty damn fucked up.

>saul gave david an impossible mission: go to the philistine camps and bring back 100 foreskins
>david proceeded to bring back 200, meaning he chopped off 200 dicks.

>lot's daughters drugged, then raped their dad while he was unconscious to have a bunch of kids

>the entire canaan takeover
>including butchering an entire civilization down to the last man, woman, and child

>the story of samson included him butchering entire armies with a donkey jawbone

God fucks Pharaoh's shit up because he wants to make an example of him. "This is what happens when you mess with my chosen people".

Whether Rameses was actually not that bad of a guy or not is irrelevant. He and his family are responsible for subjugating and abusing the Israelites, and this is God's answer for that injustice.

Remember, this is the Old Testament where EVERYONE fucks up at some point or another, and since sin is sin before God's eyes, it is visited upon by temporal retribution. Even Moses was barred from entering the Holy Land himself because he doubted God before drawing water from a rock in the desert.

nah, the ten commandments literally say that YHWH was to be worshipped before the other gods, not that there were no other gods.

but yes, Exodus literally says that YHWH hardened rameses' heart.

Hush now, my movie, be still love, don't cry
Sleep as you're rocked by the reviews
Sleep and remember my last flop
So I'll be with you when you release
Reviews, oh reviews, go easy on him!
Such precious cargo he bears!
Do you know somewhere he can be free?
Shepple deliver him there

I feel bad for the poor fucker who had to count all those foreskins.

Swolest big dick dude in the Bible roles up and drops a big ass bag of the tips of dicks and says there are 2 hundo then you better nod your fucking head.

>How many, Aelius?
>Eh...uh...200.
>If you're lying David is gonna be so pissed.
>Do YOU want to count these fucking things?

Brother, you're safe now, and safe may you stay
I have a film just for you
Grow, baby brother, come back someday
Come and deliver us JL

Actually, while it does reference other gods, only YHWH is referred to as the "living god", since the others are merely wood, clay, or stone idols.

I liked how The Plagues had him say he let his heart be hardened

That's a distinction theological scholars still make today, as well as arguments refuting Gnostic heresies that see God as a glorified watchmaker or Manachaeism that taught that God in the OT was actually the evil and cruel Demiurge. The Christian God is one that sustains and nurtures creation throughout all time, continually recreating the universe in his presence and love. As opposed to being bound to only a single time and place, and just coming around to do one thing and then fuck off somewhere else.

>the story of samson included him butchering entire armies with a donkey jawbone
Sampson was the MVP of the Old testament. It's the only story I remember

Remember this scene

Sampson was an idiot and let a woman come before him and his devotion to God, and wound up giving his life up to show his repentance after he lost everything from that mistake.

Real MVPs of the Old Testament
>Joseph

The only Patriarch leader of the OT to not fuck up and lose favor with God.

>Moses
Led the Israelites out of Egypt and laid down their law when it turned out the Israelites couldn't be trusted to actually follow the basic Ten Commandments on their own

>Elijah
THE major prophet.

>Job
The devil bet against him.
The devil lost.

>David
THE King. Too bad he made the same fuck up as Sampson.

That was some gorgeous fucking animation.

>Forgetting Noah
Literally the last good man.

The New Testament dropped the ball in comparison to the hardcore Old Testament

Ah good point. Should've put him there. Abraham too, in retrospect.

Maybe that's why they got 200
>Is this enough?
>Fuck if I'm counting dicks. Let's just get a bunch more to be safe.

Someone hasn't been reading Acts or Revelation.

Or the lives of the Saints. Especially some of the Roman martyrs. Do yourself a favor and look up St. Lawrence.

They say Ramses is still there on those rocks, yelling

Man, the last time I read the Bible was the last time I went to church and even then I kind of skimmed it
And that was years ago. I only remember a handful of stories and even then the only raisin why I remember them is because I went to Sunday School as a wee lad

>I SEND MY SCOURGE
>I SEND MY SWORD
>THUS SAITH THE LORD

>forgetting Enoch
Literally the only guy considered so good, God wouldn't let him die and just took him up to Heaven

>that lighting when Moses was looking at the destruction and it went dark
>and then it splits into both Ramses and Moses's face

Actually Elijah got that privelege too.

>Ramsey's, you've got to stop!
>Oh what, God's going to, what, piss in my Egyptian cheerios?
>No, he's going to send locust and plagues and smite your kingdom with meteorites and kill everyone at night with some sort of ghostly entity if your don't have Lamb's blood over your door

>Look...look at your people Moses

>They are free

Lads rate the Japanese interpretation of Ramesses

calm down

Twelve years of Catholic schooling reporting in. Unfortunately I learned way more in a public university sitting in religious studies courses where people actually held me accountable for what I claimed to believe so I had to go back and do my own damn research on it. Thank God they actually print the Catechism in the vernacular now

>be a child
>see Prince of Egypt in theaters
>love it
>go home and get out the family Bible to read the Moses story in the Bible
>no character development or emotional relationships or connections
>totally different from the movie

so disappointing

Oh yeah, that's true.

Stupid hair but everything else is a solid 10/10

That's pretty cool
rad/10
Needs to be glowing bright light behind him rather than shadow though. He's the chosen of Ra, not Apophis.

>Character development
>In the bible

Eh. I've seen worse.

Have Nefertari and Moses too while I'm at it

There's a Jewish practice of scriptural exigesis where you take a story that isn't fleshed out and develop a scenario with more involved details based on the characters to reinforce the message of the scene. I forget the Hebrew name for it now, but it's basically what you have here in both the Cecil B Demille Ten Commandments and the animated one.

Fuck the Ridley Scott Exodus movie though, it missed the point really hard.

Why no one speak about joseph king of dreams??
It a good movie

Never saw it unfortunately.

I ship it.

And of course this led to Lot being raped twice by his 2 daughters because they thought God went mental on the entire world...again.

>And also every single person you see here is going to die either via death pit or suffering in the desert for decades, including you!
>God is surely great and merciful!

New Testament kind of has it

Jesus gets progressively more FUCKING PISSED

How so?

was midrash the word you were looking for?

That's it, thanks user.

Jesus clamps down pretty fucking hard on the excesses of the Pharisees and Scribes in Jerusalem, the arrival into which marks the last phase of his ministry before his passion and death on the cross.

That's cool to know, thanks user.

I can recognise that it's nowhere close to being biblically accurate (for whatever value that has) but when I watched this again when I was older I loved it more than I ever did when I was young. Besides the music being on point (well, most of it) there was so much I liked about how it showed the story.

Case in point: The Angel of Death scene. It's not triumphant or flashy. No music like the other plagues, just the wrath of God. It isn't presented as a great victory for Moses:

youtube.com/watch?v=k2R07EbLjSU

Then the dude breaks down at the end, because it's still the city he grew up in and the people he grew up with.

this is from the same studio

i want to get off this wild ride

forgot pic