Oldest movie that you actually enjoy

Whats the oldest movie that you actually enjoy? Without having to say something like

>its good for when it came out

For me its "M". It makes me wonder what else I might be missing out on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=knD2EhjGwWI
youtube.com/watch?v=8E1KR_JJZJU
youtube.com/watch?v=udVcEcGYw-Q
youtu.be/xvQRYd8xUYU?t=7m19s
vimeo.com/18540575
youtube.com/watch?v=O4zi1Z-vIAo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Roundhay Garden Scene. No memeing, I can watch it again and again.

I recently saw Greed (1924), which I liked a lot.

Heard there was originally a 9 hour cut or something, which I would genuinely watch if it still existed.

Thanks. I have a feeling this thread will be 404'd in five minutes. I actually do want some recommendations, so thank you.

Havent seen your movie. What do you like about it?

12 angry men

OP here. Same question - what do you like about the movie?

same answer as last time, the cabinet of dr. caligari
I should watch more movies from the era though

The dark knight(2008)

I liked johnny guitar

Same question. What makes you like it?

OP again. Last "old" movie that I didnt enjoy was To Kill a Mockingbird. I know its not 1930's old, but its definately from a different period. Never could get into it. Boo Radley is a danger to his community.

The Hustler

Apart from the obvious hindrance of nobody putting much thought to the cinematography and just shooting it as if it was a stage play, it's really fucking good for 16 minute long, over hundred years old movie.

Der Ewige Jude
My favorite classic

>Not enjoying Gregory Peck chewing the scenery as Atticus

Top Pleb.

Epic!!!

Is it your standard western? What makes it stand out senpai

>Same question. What makes you like it?
The performances and the simplicity of it. It's like watching a play. No fancy sets or camera angles. Just a mystery and a bunch of great actors.

If it was done today it would be dutch angles and close-ups everywhere, loud music, etcetera.

It has playfulness, a lovely location, engaging people. You can see it here looped a few times because it's so short, just under 3 seconds, it's currently thought to be the first movie ever made.
youtube.com/watch?v=knD2EhjGwWI

>Is it your standard western?
I suppose its pretty standard for the era, I just like the music and it was the oldest film I can think of seeing recently and enjoying

has some good stand off scenes, especially at the start, and the main antagonist is very hateable

Ive avoided watching it because the moon reminds me of Humpty from Mother Goose Rock N Rhyme

I pretty much exclusively watch TCM whenever I get some free time. I hate this meme that old movies can't be good. Odds are if you read the premise for something and it doesn't sound like shit it'll be good. A couple courtroom kinos I've enjoyed recently were Adam's Rib and Witness for the Prosecution.

also I just liked joan crawford in the film
pretty commanding presence on screen, really gave me that golden era glamorous feel while watching it

The Twilight Zone

There is some undeniable joviality in it. Oddly mesmerizing.

It isn't at all standard, it's very unusual.

go on...

>Adam's Rib

Good shit.

oldest for me is probably Metropolis and not to mention they keep restoring more parts to the movie as the years go on. I can't wait until they finish restoring the rest of the movie.

Check out the Dr. Mabuse movies by Lang as well for a further exploration of interest Germany.
Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1924) a four hour piece of silent kino about the hypnotist master criminal Dr. Mabuse.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933) a talkie about the apparent return of the infamous master criminal from beyond the grave.

Does it remind you of Glengarry Glen Ross at all? I liked G.GR for its simplicity
That sounds odd and interesting. Will look it up
Love westerns. Will watch

Also thanks for the replies. Im pretty pleb but I like actual threads about movies

Yeah, it's always nice to revisit, there's a lot going on in it, I love that the official first film ever made is now something staged, rather than a simple recording, and includes playfulness like the old lady walking backwards.

Gun Crazy (1950)

It's about a man and his love for guns and his love for a woman. One or both of those get him killed and it's up to the viewer to decide which contributes more.

The Honeymooners

I don't want to write a whole essay, but most Westerns don't center on Joan Crawford and an even more androgynous woman's sexualized envy of her (does she want to fuck Johnny or Crawford?), aren't designed and shot in stylized color like a musical, and, in short, aren't Nicholas Ray films.

Let me guys, you Only like it because of Hugo Capret (2011) where they recreate the Shooting of the movie

I caught some black and white movie on TCM (like five years ago) about a soldier going overseas and then coming back to his highschool sweetheart. I wish I wouldve wrote the name down. The characters were so damn engaging. I guess thats the strength of a movie without real special effects.

i guess you're right, you know the woman against her in this film did the voice for the monster thingy in the exorcist
its not a standard western OP, its a strangewestern

Les Vampires was genuinely entertaining shit. Non stop hijinx and plot twists and a waifu in a catsuit, it's basically an anime a century early

Oh, and all the stuff about the bullshit of masculinity, the role reversal, the generally intense romanticism.

This was a scary flick

I guess they were some pretty racey themes for the 1950s

Yeah, Mercedes McCambridge, she's also great as a Mexican butch lesbian in Welles' Touch of Evil.

citizen kane

Well the funny thing is that there were a shitload of subversive movies in the 1950s, far more than the 60s generation self-servingly made out later. Hollywood telling hippie college kids what they wanted to hear about themselves in the early 70s was in some respects more conformist than 50s Hollywood, which had some incredibly square productions but also shit like Ray's films, Sirk's, Frank Tashlin's satires, Preminger's boundary-pushing.

>the cabinet of dr. caligari

Same, mainly because I don't think I've ever seen completely.

Nosferatu (1922) would come next.

Intolerance

The Thing. Any movie made before 1980 is unwatchable.

OP again. What do you guys like about your choice?

what about the warriors?

Check out Thief of Baghdad from 1924 for some classic silent era Douglas Fairbanks and huge old school Hollywood sets. Also it has the beautiful Anna May Wong in it as a Mongol slave girl.

>Does it remind you of Glengarry Glen Ross at all? I liked G.GR for its simplicity
Yeah, another old movie I love, although not as old.

I pity you for your lack of taste

You should try to track down the fully restored color version, which was originally colored by hand painting. Some real esoteric shit right there.

""""No""""

Kino poster

The oldest movie that I genuinely love is Sherlock Jr. (1924)

Keaton's ballsiness and ambition are timeless

Guardians of the Galaxy (2015)

Intolerance is simply one of the most ambitious films of any era, both in scale and emotional depth.
You have to get used to it being a silent film if you're not used to it, though.

I found it on YouTube a few years back. Probably got taken down at this point, but it was pretty good

This one must bring a tear to your eye

the passion of joan of arc (1928), what a wonderful film. probably the most emotional movie I've ever seen

I think you're selling the cinematography of 12 Angry Men a bit short
There are some really intelligent and well thought out camera angles and scenes in that absolute kinography

Because it's a good movie. What's the oldest movie you enjoy OP?

Fuck, I just reread the OP, changing my question to what keeps you from watching other older films

I haven't seen many silent films but Un Chien Andalou was pretty interesting

I have to remember to see this one

Just watch it right now, it's like 20 minutes

L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat

Double indemnity

If i cant read the name i dont think Id enjoy watching it

Nosferatu, mostly because the imagery is still spooky.

Agreed. And the plot has more going on than I wouldve thought. The shit before he got to shore was pretty neat

The Great Train Robbery, the first one from like 1903 or whenever it was.
There's something about the simplicity about it that I love, I guess since it's one of the earliest films to feature a narrative watching how it's constructed with such limited technology is really appealing to me.
And it's a timeless story of cowboys and bad guys robbing trains. Who doesn't love that?

herzog's is great too

Fritz Lang's Spies
youtube.com/watch?v=8E1KR_JJZJU

Testament of Dr Mabuse
youtube.com/watch?v=udVcEcGYw-Q

wc fields
youtu.be/xvQRYd8xUYU?t=7m19s

What The Butler Saw on the Kinetoscope

Pretty lewd stuff

Probably some Laurel and Hardy, W C Fields, Will Hay etc films

It fucked up the boat part though, otherwise great film

One of the best acting in any film ever by Renée Jeanne Falconetti and it looks great even to modern standards.

vimeo.com/18540575

Freaks was a very cool movie, extremely cutting edge and original without it being silly.

Le Voyage Dans La Lune - Gorges Méliès (1902)

Culturally enrich your self fool

same. Watched that two times in high school in two different classes.

The thin man series.

I enjoyed the character'a hard drinking, quick quips at people. I promised I would strive to grow up to be just like him.

Also, they were murder mysteries tag team. I don't rmember how many films there were but I watched quite a few.

thanks, that really was something

Anything with Vincent Price in it really

>Thin Man series
I second this.

(1930) The sheer scale and brutality of the war scenes is simply breathtaking, especially for its time. It helps that the characters are engaging as well.

Pic related.

It's 50 seconds long, you can marathon it.

I though you were talking about the 3 stooges.

thoughts on pic related?

The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney.

This is the GOAT soundtrack to the movie

youtube.com/watch?v=O4zi1Z-vIAo

Star Wars