What do extras talk about in restaurant scenes?

What do extras talk about in restaurant scenes?

OPs mom

The stench of coming from the male lead.

>why is there a camera here?

heated arguments about racemixing and the jews

normally they just move their mouths, they arent really saying anything

This. Always bad when you hear an extra full volume. I was watching Damages and in one scene you hear an extra ordering his coffee like he thought up this character in his head. Painful.

How do you mean? What did he say?

Do you think they just mouth random lines to each other or do they come up with their own little conversation between them?

Obviously the writers don't give them lines to pretend to say and directors don't care what they do as long as they don't make any noise.

probably their plans after they get paid $20

pennis and also dicke and balls

>implying they get paid

Thanks, made me laugh.

They do say something, do you think cars are mute in movies too? it's all about sound mixing.

This.

I was an extra in the Social Network and during the initial bar scene there were only 3 sets of people off camera who were given scripts but were told to improvise and then they were muffled in post. Myself and the others at my table were just mouthing to each other on each take.

Pretty standard. Then they add the "bar sounds" etc afterwards.

I do this a lot. We usually just goof off. We might pantomime real sentences or just random nothing. Sometimes we whisper real conversations.

Sometimes directors will have their extras just keep saying "peas and carrots" over and over again, apparently the facial movements mimic a conversation

Peas and carrots

I was born and raised in the Valley. Been an extra on 20 films and shows. Normally, one of the underlings will pull the extras aside, discuss the scene and point out your marks. Most people don't say anything, they just move their mouths. Some people whisper things. One girl just said "watermelon, watermelon, watermelon" over and over.

I always mix it up. Unless it's Clint Eastwood, the scene is shot at least four times before they cut and print. The first one or two I don't say anything just move my mouth. Between the resets, I try to start a conversation with the people at my mark. Just to see how uptight they are. The tighter the better. When the scene is set again and we start rolling I say all kinds of crazy shit.

I was at table scene with an elderly woman and I told her I killed her dog and baked it in the cake she was eating. The shock on her face was very real and made the cut.

Amateur directors maybe, a director of any caliber make the extras say "walla walla rhubarb rhubarb"

Anyone watch The Trip series? I really like them but the restaurant extras sit there and ignore Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan yelling at each other so loud that the whole place would have been staring at them.

I have a bad habit of trying to make other actors laugh during serious scenes and my back is to the camera.

more anecdotes. this is exactly the shit i would do.

>I was at table scene with an elderly woman and I told her I killed her dog and baked it in the cake she was eating. The shock on her face was very real and made the cut

I want to see this scene now but I understand you'd probably be DOX'ing yourself.

No director, A.D. or P.A. has ever said this. Ever.

Assuming you're not lying: How many takes were you there for? I've heard that Fincher did like 100 takes for that scene. I'd love to see Fincher work.

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

>"Hey, is your career going anywhere?"
>"No"
>"Mine neither"

>Myself and the others at my table were just mouthing to each other

that seems really awkward, can't you just talk in a reasonably quiet voice about some popular tv show or something and have them edit you out later?

>David "im gonna do more than pinch her" Fincher

>David "give her another inch" Fincher

They are literally just moving their mouths without saying a word or producing any sound

t. I watched a movie which discussed this topic

Must be this because you don't want uncontrolled ambient noise to come through when you're mixing the sound later.

ur mum did as she was directing my slick willy into her brownie factory

underage posters aren't allowed on this site, Jr.

>I was at table scene with an elderly woman and I told her I killed her dog and baked it in the cake she was eating. The shock on her face was very real and made the cut.
Now this is kino

Frank B. from Ghana calls me on my birthday every year. Nicest guy ever.

>I was at table scene with an elderly woman and I told her I killed her dog and baked it in the cake she was eating. The shock on her face was very real and made the cut.

gonna need some proof&subsequent screencap inclusion m7

Please, say the movie or shortfilm or whatever, i want to see that shock

Not him, it's mildly awkward but the job is easy as shit so it doesn't matter. And no, you can't make noise because they're using mics on the actors to pick up their dialogue, background noise during the scene would fuck that up.

Rhubarb, mostly

A lot of times we'll do one take with the background making noise. Then the rest are silent to pick up the principal's dialogue. Then in post they'll use the sound from the first take to fill in background noise as needed.

And have Christian Bale go full autist on your ass? No thanks.

Did a scene last week where the actor requested that we make noise so he didn't feel like he was bombing his speech.

who was it, we want names here