Late 90s/pre 9/11 movies

What was up with all those movies right before 9/11 about how boring and soul crushing the average american life was?

American Beauty, Fight Club, The Big Kahuna, and Office Space. Why did they stop making movies about what I perceived as men being emasculated and turned into drones when that theme seems to be popping up again in internet subculture while the popular culture seems to being trying to suppress this idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_upeZAeiozU
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1oN1icAYc
youtube.com/watch?v=sgAu1i6aChs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?

Is there any truth to that idea? I have never been in a fight. What exactly do you learn about yourself?

I think it's more of a metaphor, like beating someone or something and learning more of who you are and what you're capable of. i guess it can be taken literally too

You learn most people have no fucking clue how to fight and end up hurting themselves equally

I think that scene was to show that he just wanted to feel pain or something to feel "real" and I see it as symbolic as his new idea of living a spartan subsistence life winning over since tyler represents that and he represents a comfy normal life.

All these movies seem to have this theme thats it better to live poor and free the rich and enslaved by your company.

The Matrix.

Smith's speech about how they set the simulation at "the peak of your civilization" sums up what you are trying to say. IRL ideology, not robots, took over (although that is probably slowly happening too).

youtube.com/watch?v=_upeZAeiozU

you a little bitch when you're faced with actual fear of being hurt? Don't know until you have someone who wants to kick your teeth in in front of you.

yeah, didnt really think of it since its much more of an action sci-fi movie, but the matrix does fit in with those others in that sense.

>tfw I once had the literal shit beaten out of me and now people make fun of me for it
(Literally literal)

Because war, baby.

yeah, thats why I think to. But those themes got put on the backburner after 9/11 and are starting to reemerge again, but this time, from the internet subculture. And it seems that hollywood hates this idea and actively works against it.

ive learned its pretty easy to kick my ass

I learned that fighting is a skill and not muh killer instinct. Fortunately the other people fighting were shit too. It must have been funny to watch.

A striving for greatness, even repeatedly disappointing and mocked, is still not in tune with the zeitgeist, particularly the Hollywood zeitgeist (or (((zeitgeist))) some would say).
You mention emasculation. Who would portray emasculation today?

It's that emotion you never use, the feeling of hitting and being hit etc etc

It's an experience

You feel alive

I dont even think its a striving for greatness thing exactly. In Office Space for example, all he wants to do is chill out and "do nothing" and for as much as people give shit for millenials, we end up working longer hours for less pay while in moutains of student debt and in a shitty economy. So that theme of being a wage slave is still alive and well with the added bonus of this gynocentric culture in the west of "toxic masculinity" even little boys are put on chill pills because they would rather play outside rather than listening to someone drone on about math. It feels like we are being trained into becoming subservient drones.

How to join a fight club?

Beat up some guy in a parking lot. Repeat until mutliple people show up each week

Couldn't this phrase just be finished with any word?

How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in "love"?

How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a "war"

How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a "argument on Sup Forums"?

How much can you know about yourself if you've never been "fishing with just a string tied to your nuts"?

I would tell you, but I can't talk about it

>American Beauty
Written by a fag

>Fight Club
Written by a fag

>Matrix
Written by trannies

The alt-right's favorite movies!

>culture decays as a result of social criticism from past cultural horrors and a large enough gap of none of these horrors being in recent enough memory to fully respect (World Wars, Vietnam, all decades in the past)
>post-modernism becomes popular as culture starts to decay
>this challenges social norms and ideologies
>occurs because everyone's safe and comfortable and the social psyche has had enough time to start poking holes in the culture they inhabit

>big bad event occurs that threatens that way of life that is so comfortable and stable that everyone is starting to pick at it
>suddenly pointing out how bad their culture is isn't something they want to think about
>buy back into conservative themes and grand narratives like how America is great and working hard will pay off and war is necessary and heroic

It's not exactly rocket science, films with social critique get edgier the more detached we are from the issues being critiqued. 9/11 set that back to the start again. The cycle will probably move faster though

>How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a "argument on Sup Forums"?
Hey user my arguments on Sup Forums have told me I can be really petty when there's nobody to judge me and also that I take bait really easily

well, it's a bit like having sex. Fun, but it has consequences. I think it is one of those things that turn kids into adults.

You actually learn quite a bit about yourself the first time you really get hit in the face. You either fold up and try not to get hurt again or you start swinging like a motherfucker. It's also not uncommon for someone hitting somebody for the first time to turn into a blubbering mess after.

>Couldn't this phrase just be finished with any word?
No.

>You mention emasculation. Who would portray emasculation today?

youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1oN1icAYc

youtube.com/watch?v=sgAu1i6aChs

>How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in "love"?

I thought the alt right was okay with queers and lady boys

While I don't think a fight is necessarily something to aspire towards, I do think every man should be, at least once, in a position where they feel adrenaline seething through their veins and their primordial fight or flight instincts kick in.

The Alt Right is gay friendly (not so much transgender friendly). HOWEVER, the more extreme elements of the alt right still kick up a fit over how the alt right has begun co-opting gay men and women, who have grown tired of the left's bullshit and hypocrisy and double standards, into the movement in a bid to increase our viability and fight an enemy (SJWs) who both the alt right and gay men and women, share.

Trannies can be huge assholes, I know that from personal experience

Nothing important that you can't learn without getting into a fight. The main thing I learned is how vulnerable my body is. I never got hurt too bad, but the few fights I was in left me with no doubt about this vulnerability: had some of those punches been a bit stronger, the angles a bit different, I could be dead or have brain damage. It makes one more aware of one's own mortality and the fact that one is tied, on some level, to an easily damaged physical body.
I wouldn't recommend fighting for any reason other than to protect yourself or your loved ones, when there is no other option. Even if you win, you don't know who you might have just pissed off. What if you kick somebody's ass in a barfight, but then it turns out that his brother is in a mafia? Oops.
So, fighting? Don't do it unless you have to.

>What was up with all those movies right before 9/11 about how boring and soul crushing the average american life was?

The period between the end of the cold war and 9/11 was pretty much a giant empty void when it came to serious existential conflicts. Like, these days you can at least imagine a future were islam actually takes over more and more of the world and back in the day you could actually imagine a world were something similar happened with communism.

But in the 90s, yeah... it was just "Oh I guess we won and our price is meaningless and dull prosperity"

IT MUST BE THE GLOBALISTS, BUT NOT THE (((GLOBALISTS))), IT'S ALWAYS THE GLOBALISTS, NEVER THE (((GLOBALISTS))) 'CAUSE THAT'S FAKE NEWS