Just saw this for the first time

Just saw this for the first time.
Was... was Childs the Thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SppG-I_Dhxw
youtu.be/bgRWMbGSUec
youtube.com/watch?v=u84EQVI8C0A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They were both the Thing at the end. But the Thing doesn't know it's the Thing once it has emulated another organism.

Then why didn't Childs just roast Mac to a crisp?

According to Rob Ager
Part 1:
youtu.be/SppG-I_Dhxw
Part 2:
youtu.be/bgRWMbGSUec

It's fun food for thought, which is why the ambiguous ending is great. You just don't know and never will.

If Childs was the Thing, he could have just killed MacReady on the spot with that flamethrower of his.

Watch his newer video about the Thing. He watched the HD version and saw the Child's coat was actually blue, and that he had not switched coats. Childs was still assimilated, but for a different reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=u84EQVI8C0A

Childs wasn't sure if MacReady was the only survivor, he asks as he approaches. If there was another survivor or several and they saw Childs kill MacReady, it would blow his cover and jeopardize his survival

It doesn't matter. Childs got lost because he was chasing the Thing. If Childs is human, then the Thing is still frozen out there.

Why burn him when you can consume his delicious flesh once he passes out from cold

If both are the Thing, then when did MacReady get assimilated? He sure as hell wasn't in the scene just beforehand when he was blowing the Blair Thing sky-high.

I don't think anyone believes Mac is the Thing.

Debris from the explosion could be enough to assimilate. The computer simulation shows only one cell is needed.

some people do actually, I forgot what their whole argument was but I remember reading about it

Thanks for sharing this, but it's suppose to be speculative. That's what what makes the climax/ending great.

Why didn't dog-tired infect Clark? It had every opportunity.

That just raises more questions than it answers. The Thing should have infected literally the entire base in less than five minutes, just through the bacteria in the air and shit.

>But the Thing doesn't know it's the Thing once it has emulated another organism.

where the hell did you get this idea which simply isnt true

Childs is the Thing, but not because of any earring or breath or Molotov cocktail bullshit.
Quite simply, it's because he accepted Mac's drink without a thought, DESPITE an established precedent earlier on to not drink or eat anything that anybody else has consumed (to avoid infection). Childs doesn't care about infection, he already is infected. MacReady knows this and laughs because he's got a flamethrower under his coat (Kurt confirmed this) and is about to roast that fucker into a well-done Thing steak.

assumed he means that the Thing doesn't recognize itself.

macready was worried the whole movie about letting the thing re-freeze and thaw again when rescuers inevitably came. when they destroyed the thing's makeshift spaceship the thing realized it couldnt escape so it sabotaged everything

by that last scene mac realized it was all futile and the thing won

I disagree. I think at that point Childs simply doesn't care. What more can he do? If he believes Mac might be the Thing, it's not like he could avoid being assimilated. Better just to trust him adn resign yourself to your fate.

There's no way that human Childs would have gone rushing after Blair, abandoning his post. The entire film, he's been shown to be by far the most rational and least risk-taking man. Even when he had the whole crew armed and ready, he still refused to let MacReady in when Childs thought he was a Thing. Why would he go chasing after Blair if he hadn't already been infected?

>Was... was Childs the Thing?

we will literally never know unless carpenter blatantly spills it out but i doubt because he probably forgot as well.

>The computer simulation shows only one cell is needed.

sure, but it doesn't make it true, it's not like blair knew literally everything about the parasite

No evidence that MacReady was the Thing. Childs was most likely the Thing.

When Palmer sees Norris's head grow legs and scuttle across the floor ("You've got to be fucking kidding me!"), he is already an alien duplicate/is infected. Part of the alien entity outs another part to further draw attention from itself.

The music started playing when Childs took the drink. Thought it was a pretty obvious indicator he was a Thing.