6. Laputa
9000. Ponyo

>howl
>not shit
it is objectively his worst movie and the only one I would call bad

Where's Arriety? Arriety was great

yes

>it is objectively his worst movie

Might wanna google "objectively" m8. In arts nothing is objective.

It isn't directed by Miyazaki
but still good

I wish I could go back to having never seen any Ghibli so I could re-watch them all for the first time.

My favourite is probably Nausicaa but they all hold a place in my heart.

Not Miyazaki kino.

>Ghibli movies
>good

pick one

OP here, so far I watched Mononoke, Arriety, Spirited Away and Ponyo, I currently have Howl's downloaded, what should I watch next? Nausicaa?

How would you describe the aesthetic in some of Miyazakis movies, like naussica? It's a clash of agrarian vs large industrial machines, kind of a diesel punk I would guess?

Castle in the sky, Nausicaa, Howl, Lupin Cagliostro. Maybe give Totoro and the little witch a watch, but those 2 are definitely for small children.

Any. It doesn't matter. Just watch them all.

Pom Poko is another excellent but often overlooked film, Castle of Cagliostro also.

>those 2 are definitely for small children
Ponyo is, too, but I enjoyed it

Totoro still has some harsh lessons in it. It's not all sunshine and smiles.

Porco Rosso is probably his comfiest and most underrated film.

I would say that ponyo is better suited to young children then totoro. There is no enemy of any kind in ponyo, save maybe the sea.

The theme of man vs nature is prevalent in most of his movies but I wouldn't say they all fit a particular style.

Which is why Howl is so underrated, because it shows the perfect pre-WW1 European beauty and culture, suddenly torn apart by the mechanized hell that the great War represented.

Ponyo is the only Miyazaki film I've gotten my wife to watch. She said it was bizarre, but deep down I'm pretty sure she liked it.

>no romance

they were obviously meant for each other but ofc they were too afraid to go there. fuck that movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=PhHoCnRg1Yw

this trailer is so good

This opinion is very similar to mine. Haven't watched chihiro, cagliostro or ponyo but all I have seen are in same order as I would put. Nice.

>Haven't watched chihiro

You havent seen his best film senpai.

I'll get it tonight senpai, since it was in third in a list I agreed with completely, chances are it'll be good in my eyes.

>Tale of Princess Kaguya
>Only Yesterday
>Porco Rosso
>Wind Rises
>My Neighbour Totoro
>Pom Poko
>My Neighbours the Yamadas
>Spirited Away
>Kiki's Delivery Service
>Whispers of the Heart
>Princess Mononoke
>Castle in the Sky
>Grave of the Fireflies
>Ponyo
>Howl's Moving Castle

Haven't seen most of the films by apprentices, but I've heard Ocean Waves is fantastic. It's my opinion and thus very subjective, but I feel that top 5 is undeniable.

Watch it in the highestl quality you can. When Spirited Away came out, it was the best animation in the history of animations.

ty gotchu

>1 - Laputa
based firstposter. idk why nobody else agrees.

Because Spirited Away has much better characters and character growth, not to mention a more surreal story and better conclusion.

spirited away is wonderful but laputa is so great because it accomplishes what it does strictly within the framework of the traditional fairy tale adventure. it's a paragon of the genre.

>better conclusion
hell no, the ending of Laputa is the most twitted event ever for a reason

Real top 5, Mononoke is overrated.

in no particular order:
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbour Totoro

>Watch it in the highestl quality you can.

No, just stream it. Visual "quality" is a meme, it's not like it's going to change the story either way.

you should also watch 'only yesterday'

No, it's the most overrated though.

Why?

My favorite.

>When your bait is so transparent no one even calls it out for an hour

>Kiki and Spirited Away over Porco Rosso
wew, but i agree that Whisper is GOAT

Porco Rosso is objectively the best choice, the rest hardly come close

this chinese girl looks familiar. who is she

every anime character ever

The only decent for sure.

If he wants to watch some insipid slice of life series he can watch any season anime for that matter.

It's one of the most popular before chihiro.

No, Takahata actually made movies that didn't solely appeal to childish sensibilities like Only Yesterday and they were actually great. Miyazaki's reliance on cliches and stereotypes and his obtuseness, to the point of outright explaining obvious imagery on-screen, often degrades his films. The animation quality, not the imagery itself or designs, is usually main star of his films. Examples like the set pieces of Laputa is the only thing noteworthy of it. The best part of Castle of Cagliostro is the kinetic and absurd chase scene as Lupin and Jigen try to save the Princess in the beginning. Lupin's turn to knight in this uninspired and poorly conceived story is not. Nausicaa is nearly an exception, but it shares all the same flaws while being less inspired and never forgetting to explicitly explain everything on-screen for the dim. His movies are usually mediocre at best. It's no coincidence his best movies are where he fully embraces childish imagination.

1 - Only Yesterday
2 - The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
3 - Fireflies
4 - Totoro
5 - Spirited Away

spirited away
mononoke bored me desu

So does that make it bad?

Good taste, but I disagree on such a castrating view of Miyazaki's work: his problems with overexposition only became apparent and drastic in Princess Mononoke, which is sadly the film that gave him outstanding international popularity, while also being his most boring and reciclated attempt at world building, and the overuse of Hisaishi's compulsive themes to give it grandeur (the absolute main flaw of Ponyo, for example). Before that, in the 80s and 90s, he let a set piece be a set piece, and the world talk for itself through background. His animation felt like a strong wind, fantastical and unexpected, in films like Chihiro or Howl, it became clear that his scriptwriting was subpar outside of his clear talent at story boards. I wish there was a mute version of Chihiro, since that film's animation is made beautifully...

However, you're putting aside his work that is not based around a completely fantastical creation, but a romantic recreation of history or the human experience: the nostalgia for the world of the early XXth century, the purity of child's development in nature. When he works on those themes, his dialogues tend to be more nuanced, his characters more grounded and his films simply better for the animation he uses. You've listed Totoro, but Wind Rises and Porco Rosso (separately or in conjunction) also deserve praise.

I just saw these, what is my opinion of them?

>Spirited Away
art: 9 characters: 9 story: 9 world: 9
>Princess Mononoke
art: 10 characters: 7 story: 7 world: 10
>Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
art: 8 characters: 5 story: 6 world: 10
>Laputa Castle in the Sky
art: 10 characters: 6 story: 4 world: 6
>Howl's Moving Castle
art: 8 characters: 8 story: 5 world: 8
>Porco Rosso
art: 6 characters: 9 story: 7 world: 6
>Lupin III the Castle of Cagliostro
art: 7 characters: 8 story: 8 world: 4
>Ponyo
I forget
>Kiki's Delivery Service
art: 6 characters: 6 story: 6 world: 5

Mononoke is the best Ghibli movie.
That being said, they are all pretty good and beautifully animated.

GOAT

Shit's so fucking good I'm planning to get its damn storyboard just to learn how to make something like it. Takahata is a master.

>Grave of the flies isn't the greatest movie from Ghibli
?

My favorites are Mononoke and Nausicaa. I've watched most of the Ghibli movies and they're at least entertaining and tell a decent story, but those two movies really stand out for me.

Yes, as it isn't geared towards 8 year old girls.

I don't have any problem with movies made for young girls, but let's be real here - they cannot be great.

>I don't have any problem with movies made for young girls, but let's be real here - they cannot be great.

As opposed to movies made for young boys?

They work in pairs
Wind Rises & Fireflies
Laputa & Nausicaa
Spirited & Howl
Porco & Mononoke
Totorro & Kiki
Whisper & Cat Returns

Wind Rises and Grave of the Fireflies makes sense if you take an strictly chronological approach, but the poetical and thematical implications of the former clearly don't correspond to it, but Porco Rosso. Ponyo fits much better with the search of the children's ingenuity of Totoro; and Mononoke is basically a remake of Nausicaa with a diferent natural viewpoint. In fact, Kiki's development through puberty and work matches Chihiro more.

>ocean waves
>only yesterday
>whisper of the heart

literal snorefests.

Correct.

I actually though it was one of the weaker ones.
But I've only seen it once when it came out.

My favourites are Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart.

reminder that Miyasaki got the idea for the little witch from sitting down at a mall and peeving on the skirts of girls who were passing by

literally nothing wrong with being a paedo.

Her name is Carol, she is a character in Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko!

my man. definitely in my top 3 ghibli. takahata is way too underappreciated

Yes.

>afraid

Go watch a Netflix romantic comedy you sub human.

I'd like to put Mononoke with Laputa and Nausicaa as a three-way

When Marnie Was There was just awful.

Porco Rosso may or may not objectively be his best, but it's almost somewhere in the top for most people. A must watch anyway.
Also, I'm almost never advocating for dubs, but bonus points if you can understand french, the french dub is GOAT.

Yeah, he totally didn't get the idea from the novel that the film is based on.

The thing you're quoting also totally isn't from the Ghibli documentary where he sketches skirts as reference because Kiki happens to wear one.

I only watched Porco Rosso and He Killed Millions: story of the Zero plane.
Does he have more planekino?

Nausicaa is the best thing you'll get, but it doesn't have planes.

There are planes, they're just not the focus of the story.
Same thing with Laputa

I only watched Laputa and it was meh, the ending was bullshit

Pom Poko is a hidden gem in their collection.

Castle of Cagliostro is such a hidden gem most casual fans don't even know Miyazaki made it, but it's imo in his top 5 best films.

Porco Rosso is a fantastic little film with a massive amount of love and attention put into it.

Whisper of the Heart and the Cat Returns are technically sequels sort of, and both are quite good, but Whisper is definitely much better, and fairly unknown as well.

My Neighbors the Yamadas is great, too, if you like some nice slapstick/slice-of-life comedy.

Fine taste my man.

Am I missing something or did the implied romance at the end of Princess Mononoke come out of fucking nowhere? It's a good movie, but the ending in that way felt kind of weak to me

You're a fucking tryhard if you think Ponyo is that bad. It's as mythologically rich as any of his others, it's just skewed young. Totoro is better than Porco Rosso for sure btw.