A dated Doctor Strange character gets a modern update

>Benedict Wong talked about how his version of character Wong (meta!) greatly differed from the original: “When I had my one-on-one with Kevin, we did discuss that I wasn’t really comfortable being a manservant/tea maker. We’re bringing him a modern update and deciding he’s the master of the mystic arts and the drill sergeant.”

Whaddya think?

I'm okay with that.

So, like the more modern renditions of Strange's origin already, where Wong was a serious competitor for Strange's position.

I have faith in my Khan.

>Hollywood cast Asian women
>cast qt playing badass characters
>Hollywood casts Asian men
>cast the ugliest chubby guy they could find in a Chinese restaurant

I thought that was pretty cool in the season 1 book.

>insulting Kublai Khan
Over the line.

>cast the ugliest chubby guy they could find in a Chinese restaurant
Difference is that he's a damn good actor though.

The Great Khan is wise.

>manservant/tea maker

That's not what Wong is.

>he’s the master of the mystic arts and the drill sergeant

This movie is going to suck.

So they took a guy who was just "chink Alfred", i.e. a mix between a butler and an assistant, and turned it into "asian guy teches white guy, white guy does everything better than any asians can do it".

They former is not racist at all. The latter is an actual racist cliché.

So they took something that was non-racist and turned it racist. And they're GLOATING about this? Like it's something they should be commended for?

>Let's make this one offensive asian sidekick & just make him learn kung-fu!

When will this meme die?

Why not a master of the mystic arts, drill sergeant, AND a tea maker?

Yea they really could have just made him magical Alfred.

Untrue

>it's a "we are scare of our red Chinese masters" movie

Marvel please

> and turned it into "asian guy teches white guy, white guy does everything better than any asians can do it"

You're thinking of Iron Fist. =p

The former is still kinda racist (not exactly helped by your own personal racism). Both versions are kind of strong manifestations of "Magical Asian", similar to "Magical Negro", but since we don't know just how much the movie has changed the character, I'm willing to hold off judgment on the newer version.

Wong taught Stephen martial arts didn't he? This is fine.

How is having an Asian manservant a strong manifestation of 'magical asian'? Is Alfred a strong manifestation of 'magical caucasian'?

Magical British person maybe.

How the fuck is every form of manservant a manifestation of 'magical something'. Do you think about what you say before you spill nonsense all over the place?

Not the guy you were talking to, I was just making fun of him.

For a second there I thought they were going to make him gay
Thank god

Asian women always play the QT. At least Asian men seem to be getting more varied roles.

Well i dont agree with the reason but im fine with the outcome

>The Magical Asian, like the Magical Negro or Magical Native American, exists to dispense lessons to white characters using the wisdom of his people. He will usually be a martial arts master, a practitioner of traditional Asian medicine, or a sage of some Eastern religion. If he is not explicitly supernatural, he will often (but not always) be so highly skilled in his art that it will appear superhuman.

That rings no bells with Wong's original character? The guy who was literally born to serve the Sorcerer Supreme, master of Asian martial arts? Usually serves as some sort of conscience to Strange?

That was my first thought too.

>Whaddya think?
I'm okay with this, but azn SJWs are the worst of the worst, and they will find something (or everything) offensive and whine like little bitches.

I think Marvel's ashamed of everything they've released pre-2012

>> Talking shit about Kublai Kan
Why don't you go fuck yourself round eye

>=p
Leave.

kek

>For a second there I thought they were going to make him gay
Wang

What you never seen Wong? He's pretty chubby.