What's your honest opinion of Charlie Chaplin's body of work? =)

What's your honest opinion of Charlie Chaplin's body of work? =)

Genius, extraordinarily gifted comedian, director, actor, writer and intellect. His later films, like A King in NY and Verdoux are underrated.

What about A Countess of Hong Kong?

I have not seen it.

FRIVOLOUS, CRUDE, MORALIZING, MELODRAMAS THAT PROMOTE MEDIOCRITY IN ALL ASPECTS.

O.W.: Measure them. Measure them!
I never could stand looking at Bette Davis, so I don’t want to see her act, you see. I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man.

H.J.: I’ve never understood why. Have you met him?

O.W.: Oh, yes. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.

H.J.: He’s not arrogant; he’s shy.

O.W.: He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.

Charlie Chaplin >>> Buster Keaton

United Kingdom >>> United States

how do I get a girlfriend like her?

Talented but a selfish kike with a diva attitude. Buster Keaton is double the talent with no attitude.

Chaplin wasn't Jewish.

YES, HE WAS.

Welles was just jealous that Chaplin got to tap all that teenage pusy

This is true for Stan Laurel >>> Oliver Hardy

United Kingdom >>> America

and somehow his art wasn't therapeutic for him...right, what a bearded hog bod hypocrite

Charlie Chaplin or Rowan Atkinson is the real question boys.

mwaaaah the FRENSCH

wtf i hate orson welles now

NO, HE WASN'T.

kek no wonder he got so fat

nothing but self loathing from this fat fuck

great filmmaker but goddamn if i'm not still bitter about him slaying paulette goddard in her prime

Lillian Gish sucked on her sister's clit and never paid attention to things that were happening around her so she just said random stuff.

Proof?
What are you talking about?

Fucking gypsy scum

Sherlock Jr >>>>>>> Anything Charlie Chaplin has ever done

His films were filled with dull humour and egregious sentimentality. He lacked sincerity in his melodrama, unike Griffith, and his comedy never had the poignant effect of Keaton because it seemed Chaplin was in on the joke. If I had to define Chaplin with one word, it would be "insincere". He got worse as he got older, as in Limelight, because he wished to use the same paint brushes as the artists who were greater than he.

kys gishfag

There is none. It's falsehoods cooked up by the gossip rags.

It must suck to be so fucked up you can appreciate film without pushing some ideological bullshit into it.
Whatever you think about Chaplin the man, his movies remain masterpieces of cinema.

*can't

Chaplin spent the latter part of his career "pushing ideological bullshit" in his films.

That's not why I dislike his films though. Mizoguchi is a director whom I like despite his political inclination, which shaped his career as a director.

>despite his political inclination

Educate a pleb like me: what was his political inclination and why did you oppose it?

>KOZ and Fugue posting again in the same thread

Is this the bird of an new golden Sup Forums era?