Why hasn't a film been made about Catcher in the Rye?

Why hasn't a film been made about Catcher in the Rye?

I think it would make a damn good movie, I really do

Even you phonies would get a bang out of it

Other urls found in this thread:

collider.com/catcher-in-the-rye-movie-rejection-jd-salinger/
theonion.com/article/bunch-of-phonies-mourn-jd-salinger-2901
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Salinger said no, but you should know this if you weren't a phonie.

You're killing me

Salinger said so
+ itd be fucking awful.

I never read that book

Quick rundown, please!? Heard main character was fucking edgy

collider.com/catcher-in-the-rye-movie-rejection-jd-salinger/

Don't ruin the book for people who haven't read it.

Who would you cast as Holden?

Cast? Besides Gosling.

Anyway, the movie we're all waiting for is A Confederacy of Dunces.

good book, but it'd be difficult to make a profitable movie with such an unlikable main character

James Dean

Holden Caulfield is likeable as fuck though

Michael Cera

Christian Slater or Corey Feldman.

Woody Allen.

ew no

levi miller

That annoying faggot,(Paul something or other) from There Will be Blood.

it would make a shit movie because most of the interesting stuff takes place in the narrators head. its more about his thoughts and feelings than the actual events of the book, which are pretty boring.

Rich kid that hates everything and everyone goes to the city to fool around, then is too autistic to actually do anything and gets caught. Kid calls everyone "phonies." There's one part where he was so much of a beta that he hired a prostitute his age just so he could talk to her, then her pimp slaps the shit out of him

Kek, I'd see that movie

Wouldn't waste my time reading about an edgy kid again. Not since Infinite Jest (whivh is a really good, specially the non-Tennis parts of it)

I'm straight but for some reason I had a weird crush on Holden as a teen

>having a crush on a book character

Is it worth reading this book? Or is it one of those 'must read' books because it's old?

Salinger hates hollywood

The scene in which Holden rapes his sister Phoebe would be too triggering for modern audiences.

/lit/ go

book waifus are the best waifus tho

It's essential reading for anons and future serial killers.

Normies will just think Holden is an edgelord.

Is he a kid Travis Bickle or something

Sort of, but not homicidal. It's also cute how he is offended by graffiti that says "fuck you" because his sister might see it.

There was a movie made. It's called Conspiracy and it has Mel Gibson in it.

Because it wouldn't work as a film and Holden hated movies.
Also Holden rape his sister.

The obituary for Salinger by the onion was great. Worth a read if you liked catcher in the rye.

Cole Sprouse is the only answer.

J.D. Salinger's corpse

The real life version

theonion.com/article/bunch-of-phonies-mourn-jd-salinger-2901

Also Igby Goes Down is the closest in spirit to the book and it sucks. Catcher should be read before you turn 16

I can relate to Holden and i'm 22

maybe i'm a manchild

>Catcher should be read before you turn 16
You mean after.

steve carrell

you mean Will ferrell

Bill Burr if he still had his red hair

>tfw surrounded by phonies

no that would be phony ya phonie

steve carrell perfectly represents the trapped spirit of holden caulfield

perhaps

CITR is acclaimed because of the writing and narration style, not the story, so it wouldn't really work as a movie

>such an unlikable main character

Literally what

He's like the most relatable character ever

idris elba

Classic

dude ennui lmao

Holden could be played by Will Smiths son.

>cinema can't do that!
what a pleb

me

>I think it would make a damn good movie, I really do
No it wouldn't. Maybe it could work as a walking simulator game but definitely not a movie.

no director has the touch to convey holden's molestation and phoebe's rape implicitly without making it farcical
rip pinecone mag

It would make a goddamn crumby movie

Now a movie about one of Old Thomas Hardy's books, that would be damn near perfect, it really would

Salinger said no and for good reason. Holden is always in the reader's mind and speaking directly to him. This is a book about the heart, not some visually heavy fantasy novel to be copy and pasted onto the screen. They turned Cloud Atlas into a movie and it was predictably a piece of ass for the same reason.

>it took 13 replies

Fuckins summerfags on vacation from plebbit

>novelistic novel
what did he mean by this?

Its strengths are derived from the strengths which are solely unique to literature. Movies have inherent strengths over other mediums as does music. It's not a hard concept to comprehend and has been the benchmark upon which people criticize the thought of a CITR movie adaptation.

Fucking troglodyte.

>unlikable
NORMIES GET OUT

>underlines The Catcher in the Rye every time like it's a fucking book report
What an autist

Igby Goes Down

It wouldn't. Unless an indie director with guaranteed financial backing did it, the entire story would be changed and perverted by the corporate execs who only green lit the project in the first place to make a buck.

That being said, the story is shit. Don't get me wrong, its good for what it is: a realistic coming of age tale from the perspective of an awkward, neglected youth. But thats literally all it is, and thats boring as fuck. Especially if you aren't now nor were you ever an awkward, neglected teen.

You should read it. There isn't a definitive interpretation of Holden's character, and everyone will give you a different opinion. It's by a Jewish author so of course you can expect sexual deviancy and paedophilia.

no before, because only edgy 15 year olds like it

>because only edgy 15 year olds like it
And that's why it should be read as a adult.

how does that make any sense?

Because most teenagers wouldn't be able to notice the subtext about Holden raping Phoebe.

This.

There have been other movies which fucked up the same way like 1984 but this would be much much worse

You could argue they already made it.

it would be shit because holden caulfield is a 1950s incarnation of a fedora tipper but hollywood would either make him some numale like michael cera with the 21st century's retarded idea of what a fedora tipper is like and apply a bunch of normie facebook "introvert" memes to his personality, or just go overboard with the 1950s kitsch, missing the point either way

it would really only work as an indie hipster film made by people who understand that fedora tippers aren't appealing enough to make millions of dollars. even though the book was/is popular with normies, it's not popular enough today to bring in the spades of jewgold hollywood is hoping for. not if you did an accurate portrayal anyway.

>cloud atlas was a piece of ass

*flawed masterpiece

that fantasy parts were shit but some of those scenes were apex kino. when that dude got tossed off the roof it blew my expectations tfo and I will remember it forever. not just for shock value, but for creativity.

A VF Commodore SS

Because the book sucks fucking balls

best book i've read

no

>Diarrhea

Holden relatability is key to the book's popularity. People are ashamed to admit they see themselves in the character, and thus the "youre not supposed to like him" meme was born

I'm pretty sure I pictured him as young Jake Gyllenhaal when I read it years ago, that would have been good.

he's literally just a rich faggot who never did anything noteworthy

fuck this dumb nigger bitch she ruined the movie

>watching capeshit

She had like a grand total of 5 minutes of screen time. You're getting mad because we told you to. Being a useless piece of furniture with a handful of lines has never ruined any movie.

I heard the opposite. I heard he was eager for a film to be made about it. You're taking Holden's disgust for film and assuming it was Salinger's, which isn't the case; he loved film.

If you wouldn't be a newfag you would know everyone attempted at some to make this movie. from spielberg to nobodies.

after sallinger's death the jews have realized the best possible outcome is to outsmart sallinger and make a biopic. There is a Rebel in the Rye movie starring hoult and spacey this year. But it got shit reviews so they will not use in the oscars and it will flop

Holden is like Shinji.

You hate Holden because you hate yourself.

Nvm. I am actually retarded.

>I hate school I am gonna drop out
>I am gonna order a hooker and get bullied by the pimp
>I saw graffiti that said fuck, man, that was depressing

Pretty much all I remember from that book. The moral of the story was something like "life sucks but you'll do it anyway, BITCH" which is like a 15 mins movie tops.

Holden is like Asuka moron.

Asuka hates Shinji because she hates herself.

never post again

>Predating VCRs, Salinger had an extensive collection of classic movies from the 1940s in 16 mm prints. Maynard wrote that "he loves movies, not films",[132]

Bakthin defined the novel as a 'diversity of social speech types [...] and a diversity of individual voices, artistically organised', referring to the inner divisions of a language into sociolects, dialects, etc.
What Salinger is talking about, then, is the minute little details and reflections that we get from Holden, like a kind of prism.

We can infer that what is not novelistic is either poetry, where the poet stands in a direct relation to the word and is not immediately concerned with the social and dialogic side of language; or maybe Salinger is thinking of film, whose intrinsic spacio-temporal continuity means that action and dialogue must be externalised, must be acted or spoken out by one of the visible characters or some omniscient narrator voice. Film is unable to capture the brooding artist of the novel, which is why Austens Pride and Prejudice is a great book, but the movies are shit, and the reason no Gatsby production has ever risen above mediocrity.

this

Book humor does not into movie humor.

Stop ruining good books with awful movie adaptations. I'm glad that this book and a few others I like have never been adapted because that way I won't have to hear movie-only plebs saying stupid shit. The only people who talk about are the people who read it, i.e. the people who have earned the right to.

>Asuka is a genderswapped Holden Caulfield
Never thought about it this way. No wonder she's everyone's waifu.