he allowed himself to be killed by conspirators

reminder that if you say "zeezah" or "sizzerow" instad of "kaisar" or "kikero"
then you know nothing of Rome

Kekaro

What was his fucking problem?

emperor/dictator=senate loses all power
he liked being powerful

A Trve Roman thread, for Trve Romans

I watched this recently and it was fantastic. Now I'm desperate for more historykino.

Roman senate was kind of a class of entrenched and corrupt nobles. They don't really go into it. There's some truth to Caesar fucking up the republic constitutionally but it's not just coming from some mission to stop rome being ruled by a tyrant

True Roman posts for true Romans.

there is no more

>Cunningham's Law states "the best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I, Claudius

Try "Kingdom of Heaven" (director's cut) and "Pillars of the Earth".

if you're in the mood for more Roman stuff watch Ben Hur (2016), it flopped hard at the box office which gave it a pretty bad reputation but honestly I thought it was great. Very different from the 50s version and the 20s version, but still really enjoyable.

youtube.com/watch?v=D5zmUSz4isE

>In season 1 Pullo experiences a massive guilt after becoming a paid murderer
>In season 2 he murders Cicero with smile on his face and but is still regarded a positive character
Bravo HBO.

>Romans

>not blonde, red, and brown haired

revisionist bullshit

Goddamn I wish I was a Roman

deadwood
boardwalk empire

the only show i can think of that takes place during the roman era are the spartacus starz shows. those are entertaining but might not be what you're looking for, they're quite ridiculous but fun and you aren't supposed to take them too seriously

HE WAS A CONSOLE OF ROME

He pardoned his enemies

Boardwalk Empire
Pillars of the Earth
Death Note
I, Claudius
Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
Deadwood
Ben Hur (2016)

Oh after working for what was basically the mafia for years he became more accustomed to doing hits...what pork character development

Do the honorable thing and kys

I hope this is b8 m8

I can see a Roman commoner as superstitious as Pullo having his disposition towards killing hugely affected by the Sacrosanct Father of Rome Augustus Caesar telling him it was ok.

youtu.be/Rfnz32eOpS4

After attempting to portray the clear line between a soldier and a murderer and entire plot of season 1, it was disappointing indeed.

S1 Pullo and Vorneus were soldiers who refused to become assassins, in S2 they conducted political killings without blinking their eye.

I get that director tried to show the Roman society from various perspectives (and protagonists becoming gang leaders was an easy plot device), but it just felt too inconsistent.

>Next time, do not employ veterans

>Death Note
nani?

I AM A SON OF HADES. I FUCK CONCORD IN HER ASS

Let's cast future emperors, anons.
Pic related: Commodus

sendayo ningen FUCKER

Caligula

Domitian

hehe

which one Sup Forums?

>casting Brian (a big guy) as Octavianus (a small guy)
Vvevv.

Loli Octavian, by a long shot. Exactly how I wanted him to be - cold and calculating, but relatively normal.

I hate how they made him into a sociopath in S2. Somehow reminds me of treatment Radovid got from CDPR.

that's claudius. he survived b/c everyone thought he was tarded. he's a pilot now.

>loli
It's shota you ignoramus.

The Last Kingdom is pretty solid as well.

to be fair, if you look beyond all the propaganda BS (he was an absolute master at propaganda after all) it's fairly obvious the real Augustus must have had at least some degree of sociopathy to him

can't exactly do what he did by being a normal person

He's the Nancy Pelosi/Chuck Schumer/Lindsey Graham/John McCain of the ancient era.

He was really a normal guy when you compare him to some other emperors and politicians.

well put

like I said
Master of propaganda
He successfully went from being the guy no-one dared to oppose to the guy no-one wanted to oppose.

Augustus is still one of THE most important people of the past 2000 years, he was most decidedly not a normal person. He was a highly intelligent, highly charismatic individual with sufficient moral flexibility to do all that was necessary for him to succeed, even if he had to pave the road with the bones of his enemies.

>it's yet another rome thread where that guy lectures others

i just realized being obsessed by roman history (as i am) is in reality no different than being a trekkie or star wars nerd or comic book nerd.
brb getting helium tank

Nero did literally nothing wrong

>Boardwalk Empire
first three seasons are great

Let's say hypothetically that Caesar lost to Pompey... Do you think he Roman Republic would have outlasted the Empire?

At this very moment I have 3 other tabs open in my browser, all of which are Star Trek threads on Sup Forums.

No regrets.

Do you think of Byzantine Empire as of direct continuation of Rome?

No him, but i do.

From the thumbnail I thought that was Pattus Wifekillius Oswalius.

Only Amerifats say 'Kaizar', frig off.

This. Best history fiction on tv right now, but I like Poldark too

Than your wrong. Completely separate empires.

>The same legal system
>The same culture
>The same people

Names different

Oh fuck off

more like I, Snorius

what a byzantine reply
note that 'byzantine' does not share identity with 'roman'

Started similarly but after a couple hundred years it was already vastly different

*blocks your path*

*rapes you (so that you're no longer a virgin, and thus it is legal under Roman law to execute you)*

*executes you*

Why did this show fall off so hard?

I'm halfway through s2 and I'm honestly struggling to finish it . It's way worse than season 1. Also oldtavian and all his friends (especially the dude from downton abbey) are pretty terrible, they should've just kept the original Octavian

He destroyed Library of Alexandria

The library of Alexandria was never destroyed

>brush over major events like the públic reaction to Caesar's death for love triangle drama
>le ebin RPG characters Pullo and redhead the cucked
>Brutus' mom orders Pompei's son around the time he was amassing legions in Spain irl
>Brutus' mom orchestrates Caesar's murder because he slapped her
>the fall of the republic is the result of her bickering with Octavian's mother
why do people like this again?

That is how it is said in Latin with an s not a z

Nobody knows how ancient latin was pronounced

It was not about power he is literally autistic about the Roman Republic being perfect
He is very close to Vorenus in this sense
Especially considering he was relatively low level
No he would be Mitch McConnell

>kikero

Absolutely nothing he was great the show honestly just did not due him justice beyond him being arrogant
Made him too much of a pussy, when actually he is literally /ourguy/
>Most of his legal and political life is shitposting
>Promises not to call the women in one of his cases a whore
>Does exactly that throughout the case
>LARPs as the personification of Rome to justify him straight up executing people conspiring against him
>Defend someone by ignoring all procedure and talking about the value of kino
>Calls opponents cucks
The list is long

He did not feel guilty because of the murder he felt like shit because of everything in his life going to shit and just wanted to die
Thats why he did it so publicly, he wanted to die
Its only insulting the 13th that made him fight

still by far the best ancient historical drama that exists

How was he not a sociopath in S1? His torturing the shit out of someone and having zero issue with killing is completely normal behavior

Especially compared to Julius
Julius was very effective but still too human in his mercy and other relationships
Augustus had no such problems

Yes we actually do
Extremely well

No not even close
The amount of dictators in the first century before Caesar prove the Republic was doomed

nope

Reminder that Classical pronunciation was thought up by Germans who pulled it out of their asses

The true Roman pronunciation is Ecclesiastical

What a powerful argument
Nigger we know the how the declensions combined over time and how multiple cases over the course of the empire combined into the ablative
We can also trace points where the Latin shifted into more local Romance style. We even know their fucking idioms
It may not be spoke casually anymore but we know a lot about Latin

we don't know how it sounded when spoken and that's fact.

No. The roman republic was destined to become an empire, the entire system and focus on military conquest made it inevitable that a general would one day seize power. Even 200 years before Caeser during the Punic war, Scipio Africanus was proclaimed a king by his men. Though he refused to accept the title, it's proof situations like Caesar had been part of the republic for centuries.

Yes we dont have literal voice recordings
But Caesar was pronounced with a hard C because thats all they used.

We have no idea how ancient latin was pronounced. I'm chair of the Classical department, by the way. I find it amusing that some ignorant idiot on the Internet is denying a basic fact that anyone who's studied Latin would already know. Do you have a noose handy? Please use it as a necktie.

Professor Warburton OUT

Not at all, cheap British shows like Fall of the Eagles and I, Claudius are much better because someone that doesn't know anything about the story don't end up believing Lenin's mother had the Tsar killed.

Ave, true to Kaisar

Why is the second declension masculine vocative relevant?
Which form of the to be verb does the imperfect passive use?
What does ne indicate in a sentence?

youtube.com/watch?v=wSIM1e_suu4

How about expensive British plays? Shakespeare had the whole Brutus mom orchestrating thing going as well.

I, Claudius hasn't aged well and is boring as fuck in addition to said cheapness (poor production values). Never heard of Fall of the Eagles but I imagine it's the same.

*Awe

degenerates like you belong on a cross

Would you have an empathy for a faggot who got your buddy cucked?