Baby Driver is retarded

Someone help me because I don't get this fucking movie and why everyone seems to be sucking its dick.
It's great up until the last half, so I'll do a play by play on when the writing seems to stop making sense. Obvious spoilers.

>Baby is done with being a driver, but meets Doc who threatens to kill/cripple him, his disabled foster father, and his new girlfriend
>also gets promised a huge sum of money if he does the job, which should be a soft target
So here we're given two incentives for Baby to do the job. Even if he can conceivably flee from Doc with Debora (Doc's connections seem like this wouldn't be easy) he'd probably have to leave his godfather behind or drag this elderly man from his home across the country to escape sociopaths. With the money, he could pay for his godfather to be taken care of and live well-off with his gf, but he still has to deal with Doc who is threatening all their lives if Baby doesn't keep driving.

>they need clean guns for the heist
>Doc sends them to pick it up from dirty cops, without informing them that they're cops
This is when shit starts falling apart. By all previously established character traits, both Buddy and Doc should've fucking murdered Bats right then and there. Buddy was already told by Darling to do it, and they both could've died in that firefight. Doc just lost extremely fucking valuable contacts and had his trust as a partner destroyed. Doc would need to serve Bats head on a platter to get even a fraction of trust back, and we already know he's killed for less. Even Baby should want Bats dead for almost murdering his girlfriend.
But they don't kill Bats. They all fucking lie for Bats about who shot first, and agree to do the heist despite Bats proving he's a fucking deranged liability. Doc somehow buys this shit from a guy who can't go to a gas station without killing someone.
Here I assume Baby really wanted that fucking money, or has a plan to kill Bats and Doc that requires doing the heist.
(cont)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZYxr3Q7SY
youtu.be/WA9lfxbaHvk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Baby tries to leave during the night
This I don't understand at all. It completely fucking confuses me.
What was he leaving to do? Pick up his girlfriend and run? Call the cops on them while they're sleeping when he could've gone to the police for years?
So they find all his fucking recordings, STILL don't kill him, and now Doc says he'll find a new driver the very night before the heist despite fucking threatening Baby's life to be there in the first place. If Baby can't drive for him, why hasn't he made good on his threat? Baby somehow convinces Doc to let him drive (apparently there's no potential loyalty liability from knocking him out, ransacking his house, and implying that they harmed his godfather), and the heist is still on despite this absolute clusterfuck.

>During the heist, Baby destroys the getaway vehicle to murder Bats, tries to get away on foot and gets Darling killed
I understand killing Bats but I thought he was ok with Buddy and Darling. They ALL wanted Bats dead, and he could've conspired with them. At this point the entire movie could've been spared if he teamed up with them to escape the police, kill Doc, and split all the money. There's even the lovey dovey couple parallel, it would make sense for Buddy and Darling to sympathize with Baby.
Instead he fucks them all over and now Buddy wants him dead too, endangering Debora even more

>Debora agrees to run from the police in a stolen vehicle after almost dieing, watching Baby shoot a guy, and knowing Baby is connected with the murderous criminals all the cops are after
I get spontaneous young love to run away together, but shit you'd think this might change her opinion a little.
A guy came to her workplace explicitly to kill her because of Baby, and she's just completely cool with everything. Maybe for the sake of the movie she'd go along with it, but holy fuck she's not even slightly mad.

>Baby goes to Doc with his gf after completely ruining the heist. Doc doesn't try to kill him, instead dies trying to protect their escape
At this point, both of the motives for doing the fucking heist are thrown out the window. If he's worried about his Doc trying to kill him and his GF, he wouldn't be going back to him in the first place. Baby also clearly doesn't want the money, because he's trying to trade it for a fucking cassette tape.
What's stopping the Boss from shooting both? Nothing, just a random fucking change of heart. Doc was threatening Baby before even doing the heist, now he's cool after Baby completely ruined it. So at this point it's confirmed that if Buddy/Baby/Darling just said no the heist, or agreed to kill Bats after and buy off Doc, everything would've turned out fine because Doc apparently cares about Baby.

>Baby gives himself up to the police
He would be jailed for life, potentially get the chair. Every crime that is committed by your partners is added to your sentence. If you rob a bank with someone and they kill a cop, you are charged as a cop killer.
Normally I can write this off as "it's a movie", but all the stupid shit before it just kinda made this the fat turd cherry on top.

Basically why I didn't watch the film.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZYxr3Q7SY

Probably the director and actors attached

Stop thinking too hard bro, it's a movie, it's supposed to be fun

Jesus man at least it's actually fun and exciting it's a lot better than literally every movie in theaters for the last five months, if you hate capeshit like a normal person at least.

>pure autism intro
>complaining about action and scale as being what's unrealistic about the heist

I'm fine with the over-the-top cheesiness. The establish right away that that's what you should expect from the movie, high octane action.

But they also establish that:
A) Baby doesn't want to getaway drive
B) Doc is a ruthless professional forcing Baby to drive by threatening the people he loves
C) Bats is an absolute madman ready to kill anyone over anything
D) Buddy and Darling like Baby and hate Bats

And at the very end they break all of their rules.
Baby drives anyway, and even goes out of his way to do so when given the option to bail.
Baby, Buddy, and Darling lie for Bats.
Doc is a big fucking unprofessional softy.

I don't care if Baby pulls some Need for Speed: Most Wanted shit or fucking escapes the police via parkour. I don't leave a movie dissapointed because I expected something else, I leave a movie dissapointed when they tell me to expect something for the first 50 minutes then break it in the last half without any writing to support it.

Dude the 80's? epic.

Maybe if you didn't watch the movie high you would be able to follow along with what was happening. So much of the shit that seems to confuse you had very clearly stated reasons or tip offs before they happened and why they were going to happen, yet you don't understand why they happened and are thrown off when they do.

This isn't a complicated movie but you're stupid in a very complicated way that makes a simple movie confusing for you.

Like where do I even begin with this bullshit...

>reviewer starts out by talking about her battle with depression
Ok. I sure hope this doesn't affect your opinion but then why else would you bring it up.

>she says movie was trying to be cool and upbeat and I wasn't in the right mood for that.
Ok. Then don't review it.

>she says the movie is trying to be a homage to heist films
>they never show any actual heists because the MC is in a car outside the whole time
????
It wasn't actually a heist film. It was a quirky love story.

>"I was really bored"
>movie is constantly moving and bouncing to music and action is more frequent than your average superhero action movie.
?????

>"they're all caricatures of criminal characters."
And that'sssss bad?

Are people really this bad at 'getting' this movie? Really?

>the dialogue wasn't smart because certain characters who are dumb talked dumb
>the conversations between a young guy and young girl were too simple
The fuck.

>soundtrack was hit and miss
Fuck off.

>She didn't like that the main character always had headphones in because that doesn't seem safe
Ok. This girl is fucking retarded. Just. Fuck off.

>And at the very end they break all of their rules.
That was the fucking point you idiot. That was the whole fucking point of setting ANY of that shit up so quick and so bluntly. The characters were made to seem set in stone in what they wanted only to have it all thrown on its head when Baby decided to act on his own and not just play along with it all.

He didn't want to drive, but suddenly he had to drive for himself. It turns everything inside out.

They lied for bats because bats was fucking insane and right there and kills people who mildly upset him.

They hint at Doc's soft side several times and he keeps up his facade, but in the end he gets annoyed that Baby pulled just the right heartstring to make him drop and throw away everything.

I swear this movie is not as complicated as fucking children on this site are making it out to be.

>dude who cares about bad writing and plot, just turn off your brain lmao it's fun
>at least it isn't bad like capeshit, which is defined by brainless mass appeal "fun" action with bad writing and plot

>y-you're stupid, it's all clearly stated in the movie
>I can't explain it though
>...

Both of you need to kill yourselves, immediately.

Completely agree with everything you just said. It falls apart exactly where you mentioned.

This movie really was achieving greatness until that arms deal.

>suddenly he decided to act on his own and drive for himself
Why, you fucking retard? If Doc is a big ol' softy and Baby didn't want the money, why did he agree to do the heist? Why did he involve himself only to intentionally shit the bed to the point he's trying to escape the police on foot and has Buddy out to kill his girlfriend?

>they lie for Bats because he kills people
So does everyone fucking present besides Baby you dicksucking faggot, and they all have reasons to want Bats dead and cancel the heist at that very moment BEFORE fucking Baby tries to leave in the night for no reason (which you've ignored)

>hint at Doc's soft side
So Baby and the viewer think that Doc is soft, we're back to Baby having 0 motives to do the heist.

Do any of you hopeless retards remember the bit at the diner with Bats or were you taking a piss break at the theater when it happened.

He has that whole fucking speech about how all this is just a fantasy for all of them, how they're just playing at being criminals, they're really just on vacation, how Baby is too weak for this shit.

He says all of this right after shooting up the arms deal. Which he does right after Baby decides to run away from it all.

Just stop and think, for once in your fucking life, think about what happened before that, and what happened after that. Suddenly everything was upside down and on its head. Everyone was forced into being something more real, forced to confront realities they wanted to ignore, and they all showed what they really were in how they confronted the reality falling down on them.

This is not fucking rocket science. Do you even fucking watch movies.

He didn't agree to do the heist you moron. They made that ridiculous joke about monster's inc. even you you think he actually agreed to it? They very bluntly let you know he was just going through the motions while making plans to bail on them all. He wanted them all to think it was all going to be ok so they wouldn't suspect him leaving. He didn't believe he had a choice in the heists, only the illusion of one.

THEY FUCKING TELL YOU THIS IN HOW HE TALKS TO DOC.
>Doc asks him if he's in earlier
>He asks back if he's in
>doc laughs and says he is because they both know he has no choice

>that night Doc asks him again if he's in
>he again asks back if he's in
>doc scolds him for asking back because the others are around
>Baby doesn't believe for a second that Doc would like him declining to go when everyone else is all in

AND FURTHERMORE
That whole fucking scene was right after Bats meets Deb and realizes Baby is with her. Baby wants Bats to be there, sleeping before a big heist, while he escapes. He doesn't want Bats to leave and kill Deb as revenge for Baby saying "no" to the heist.

Again, do you fuckwits even watch movies? Do you need someone to explain every single thing that happens in them? This isn't some deep or clever or artsy shit, it's fucking simple shit, but people here are acting so confused about things the movie bends over backwards to spell out for the nonexistent children in the audience. And that pisses me off.

>Doc wants to cancel the heist and gives Baby the choice, Baby lies for Bats and agrees
>Baby doesn't believe Doc would give him the choice to stop the heist despite Doc priding himself on his word word (we're square and you can make pure profit but if you don't drive, I'll hurt you) and would obviously cancel it if he learned that Bats was the one who shot first
>later willingly goes back to Doc for a cassette tape AFTER he fucked the heist, where Doc has him and Debora at point blank range

>Baby wants to leave at night because he's scared of Bats harming Deb
>But Baby agrees to the heist because he's scared of Doc harming Deb and has no choice
>But Doc is actually a softy and Baby goes to him with Deb

So basically you just ate too much lead paint and need to bend over ass backwards to defend bad writing with 0 arguments.
Cool.

youtu.be/WA9lfxbaHvk
yeah the movie went full retard by the end.

Look, pal, I enjoyed it.

It was FUN.

It's Edgar Wright, fuck, I didn't expect a MINDBLOWING plot twist. It was just fun to watch and I don't even fucking regret a penny I spent.

This, fuck this autist chink reviewer

this, that girl is fucking retarded

>baby wants to bail out in the heist
>has the opportunity to call it off after the botched arms deal
>instead asks to continje with the heist, but still trys to run away a scene later.

Just like drive, all style no substance. Sup Forums are suckers for stylized bull shit.