So I'm watching Star Trek TNG for the first time, I love the show. One question though...

So I'm watching Star Trek TNG for the first time, I love the show. One question though, why does everyone get so pissed off at Data when he's explaining shit? I would hang out with him every fucking day, he's so full of knowledge and is excited to tell you about it. Who the fuck wouldn't want to hear all about the anomalous chemical composition of brown dwarf stars? Or the Ooolans of Marejaretus IV and their way of giving thanks during a meal?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek
thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/and-now-we-present-complete-star-trek_19.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they don't have respect for androids and other artificial lifeforms

The datah8n relaxes after s2. It does make me wonder how much shit he caught on the previous ships he served on and how it took him being alive over 30 years to chill on the over analysis.

Data evolved so much during the series. In the first season he was played as annoying and as comic relief, and was commonly disrespected by the rest of the bridge crew. By season 6 or 7 he was almost a Yoda figure.

I'm finishing up Season 2 right now. Just caught my first taste of the Borg. I thought the way they introduced them was awesome, by Q just flinging them out into space, and them just seeing that ominous cube floating out there.

One quick question, if anyone knows. When do I start watching Deep Space 9? I understand that they end up running together with TNG. I'll have to look the seasons up, but would I watch one season of TNG and then one season of DS9? Or go episode for episode? Or should I just finish all of TNG and then start DS9?

Checked and agreed. Episodes centered on an individual crewman were usually shit. Picard, Data, and some Worf-centric episodes were pretty alright.

Start DS9 after S5 ends.

Cool, then just watch episode for episode?

Yeah there's not a whole lot of crossover. The DS9 doctor cameos on a S6 episode and Quark on a S7 one. The first episode of Voyager they spend a small amount of time at DS9 before they ship out. I liked how they did that: Just a little cross mention, but not too much.

You have autism, don't you? That's what early Data was, pure autism.

yes thank you user we get the idea

TNG is terrible. It isn't real Star Trek. It's Memetrek.

I have autism because I like learning about things? Fuck outta here with that bullshit, you guys overuse that word. Plus it doesn't make sense why their a dick to him for simply explaining shit, isn't their entire purpose to learn?

heh

they get annoyed because he's superfluous in the early episodes. he'll give you a number to ten significant figures or hold up a conference with tangential information

he learns quickly not to do it though

>Tfw I finished TNG before starting Ds9
> Tfw I watched the TNG movies on that star date they occur in DS9
> tfw had to stop halfway through the final episode to watch Insurrection

I cried at the end of Nemesis.

Damn user! That's commitment!

I think anybody who grew up watching TNG was a little misty at the end. And just for the end of the TNG crew stories in general.

Maybe it's because I'm after the episode where Star Fleet tried to argue that he's not a living person but property to be taken apart and has no rights. The one where they forced Riker to argue on that point. That episode really pissed me off and made me feel for Data. The one guy tried to assert that Data should be forced to submit to being taken apart and studied, and his reasoning was "what if the ship's computer decided to refuse upgrades?" But I was thinking, you fucking made him an officer in Star Fleet, and he wasn't a junior one at that. So he was trusted to a senior officer, outranking human ones, but now you're saying that he has no rights? A ship's computer isn't an officer.

He was considered just a machine until measure of a man. It was just a walking talking computer ship with a male voice to them

you're alright.

This.

And the fact that they ended on such a shitty note really twisted the knife.

It would be like if the last time we saw the TOS crew together was The Final Frontier.

TNG started when I was 5, so when Generations was in theaters and Enterprise-D got rekt I got a bit choked up, even though it had to happen eventually.

People just went along with it until they realized he was one of the 100 technologies starfleet has failed to effectively utilize.

any of you guys want to fuck?

Killing the best Enterprise and the best Captain in the same shitty movie was such a magnificent "fuck you" to the fans.

but Sisko wasn't in the movie

I was very easy to tell which movies fit near which episodes.
Generations is before the final season 3 episode, first contact is 5 episodes after Tribbles and tribulations, insurrection is in the final episide after Cardassia is retaken, but before the changling signs the surrender treaty and worf becomes ambassador to the klingon empire.

Voyager episodes are a completely different beast

>mfw TNG crew were on a monster of the week pleasure cruise whilst DS9 was fighting and dying for the very future of the Alpha Quadrant

I will forever be a fanboi to TNG era Trek, but Kirk was truly the GOAT, even if his show aged like milk compared to TNG/DS9.

They could have just closed the wormhole.

Actually, according to the star dates, All Good Things.... happens a couple days after Sisko, Quark, nog and Jake encounter the Jem' hadar for the first time camping at the end of season 2

The only other show that touched on the war with the Dominion was a single episode in Voyager when the doctor is sent to that experimental ship on the edge of the alpha quadrant to tell star fleet that Voyager is alive and In the delta quadrant, but the ship is taken over by Tal Shiar romulans and Andy dick is a hologram.

>Going on a secret mission to stop the (((Son'a))) and their meddling in Federation foreign policy by way of paying off Starfleet politicians to funnel them money and military hardware on the DL so they could ethnically cleanse and re-settle their one-time homeland from centuries ago and rape it's natural resources in the name of making even more money
>Implying that assignment wasn't every bit as important as BTFOing the Dominion and their spoonhead lackeys

Was Jonathan Frakes, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

Spoonheads and dominion were already btfo by the time insurrection happened, user

Not true. Chakotay had to deliver the news to B'lanna that the Maquis had been wiped out by the Dominion after they regained contact with Starfleet. Later, this resulted in B'lanna engaging in suicidal holodeck experiences.

It's been a while since I've watched any TNG but isn't Data very blunt and insensitive at times? Like won't he say shit like 'Perhaps the reason he isn't attracted to you is the amount of fat your body has amassed near your stomach and buttocks areas.'?

It's because the Dominion war was actually a small conflict but no one wanted to tell them

yeah he insults worf by agreeing that he isnt easy to get along with.

>finished Ds9
Should i watch ENT or the TOS movies?

They're the only things I haven't seen yet
I don't remember the word "dominion" being said in that episode though.
And weren't the holodeck characters she was trying to suicide by all spoonheads?

But yeah, I know which en you're talking about

Starfleet upper brass is completely incompetent. Literally the only thing that holds up the Federation is the quality of their captains and Terran blood.

More ships in "what you leave behind" than First Contact

Borg attacking earth was as ignored as the Breen attacking earth

why did they have so many episodes focusing on these two schmucks

>DS9 posters can't even handle it that the Dominion were only referenced indirectly on Voyager

So I just watched the TNG episode where they save and fuck up that genetically engineered society, and quite liked it. Apparently all the producers hated it though for some reason

Muh khan

Insurrection is like a year earlier, right after Dukat swallowed a Pah-Wraith.

Insurrection has that one dude show up because he's on vacation, and he's on vacation because his wife just died.

Wut
The sona were a dominion allied race, worf was there to Draft the surrender of the dominion, and ended up roped into the briar patch adventure.

The events of Star Trek: Insurrection.[48] Dialogue in this film and in the DS9 finale "What You Leave Behind" place the chronology of this film as during that episode, after the final battle of the war but before the treaty signing ceremony. Most notable in the film is Worf's ability to leave the station to join the Enterprise, as well as a line about Federation diplomats being involved in Dominion negotiations, and the Federation's willingness to work with the Son'a, who are established as a Dominion ally during the war.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

> everyone else: Data, what is that thing in space?
> data: It appears to be some kind of pan-dimensional kaufmann anomaly. Heavy graviton emissions have spiked and there is an increase in the spacetime curvature gradient in its near vicinity
> everyone else: boy data. You're a regular encyclopedia!
> data; Captain. What is an "encyclopedia"?

What dialogue?

In the movie, Picard tells Worf to shut up before Worf can explain why he's there.

I really doubt a 1998 movie would spoil a 1999 episode like that.

Just going off what's there

>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

>aaAAAaaaAAhhhhhhHHHH JEAN LUC WE CANT KILL THOSE HOSTILE TERRORISTS / BORG / [SPECIES THAT WANTS TO KILL US] BECAUSE ITS UNETHICAL AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

>JEAN LUC aaaaahhhhhhhhhh JEAN LUC I TOOK AN OATH NEVER TO HARM MY PATIENTS

>AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHH

what the fuck was her problem??

she was a doctor, same deal with Bones

Bones was ok with genocide though. He'd have liked to see all of Vulcan wiped.

Crusher was a lot more insipid about it.

depended on the episode
sometimes he was ok other times he was the one raising ethical dilemmas about the situation
or maybe he just said the opposite of what Spock suggested because he was a dick

Why was the kirk/spock/bones trio so good?

Crusher was the worst doctor.
Picard the worst captain.

Crusher was the worst doctor, but Picard was a pretty good captain.

Spock represents the triumph of the superego
McCoy represents the triumph of the id
Kirk is the ego incarnate, drawing equally from both as necessary.

> not Pulaski

Speaking of Data hate, watching the episode with this bitch right now

she wasnt wrong, fuck the crystalline entity

Thought it would have been more a "man of the future vs man of the past" thing

>ywn snuggle into that fluffy big beard

Underrated

Alright friends, I'm about to start Season 3 of TNG, I heard this is when it starts to get really good. How true is this? I've noticed that there really isn't a huge focus on story arcs, normally this would bother me, but there's a certain charm about this show I like.

I'm looking forward to Deep Space 9, any anons out there see Babylon 5? Is it better or worse than B5? Also, story arc wise in DS9? Will I get to see more Borg in TNG or DS9, or is this mainly a Voyager thing?

>Tfw you grow up watching TNG from preschool onwards, imprinting on Mommy Crusher all the time
>Tfw it leaves you with a subconscious redhead fetish that you discover in highschool
>Tfw you go to Brandeis, one of the most Jewish universities in existence, with the hope of finding a Hershlag/Kat Dennings/Michelle Trachtenberg looking jewess of your own
>Tfw you get sucked back into the redhead-verse
>Tfw it's a shiksha, with a super waspy middle name, to boot
>Tfw you end up falling in love, and 7 years later, you're now planning your wedding with her
>Mfw I'm reading through the Brandeis alumni magazine last year, and in reading through an article I learn that Gates McFadden herself went to Brandeis

And it all begins to coalesce...

TNG IS LOVE, TNG IS LIFE.

There's a very noticeable gap in quality from 1&2 to 3 and beyond.

You will notice it near immediately. Especially off of lighting, sound, and camera direction, as well as the sets, let alone the acting and the stories.

S3 is when it becomes a full-on soap opera, though there are traces of this in S2.
Fair Pakled, TOS and S1 TNG are essentially anthology series. The concept of stardates was designed explicitly to evade continuity hang-ups. Only when Roddenberry's influence began to diminish did lesser minds begin to shoehorn in ideas of strong continuity.

yes, let's kill a potential ally because it killed a bunch of humans

B5 is some of the best over arcing stories in TV sci-fi
Things from first season necessary for last season
The effects are the dated and some episodes are bland but overall top tier scifi

Babylon 5 has better storytelling but I like the acting in DS9 better. All the humans in B5 are made of wood.

thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/and-now-we-present-complete-star-trek_19.html

If you want to be a super-autist (like me), scroll down to TNG (green text) and then you can see exactly where TNG, DS9 (orange text) and VOY (purple text) overlap.
Entries 411-647 are where you need to bounce around.

>ally

nice meme

There's only like 4 humans on DS9

autism doesn't exist

Sorry I didn't explain that well. I've seen Babylon 5 and enjoyed it, I meant to ask if Deep Space 9 was worse than that, or about the same? The one thing I don't like about TNG is there isn't really any story arcs. It's episodic.

I'm finishing up the final episode of Season 2 right now, so I guess I'll see in a few minutes.

Also, is Geordi and Data the best combo to have on an away team? I think second best team is Riker and Worf.

>Soap Opera
So I'm taking it I'm not going to like it very much, was someone memeing me when they said that's when it gets really good?

Different user here but the way I'd always interpreted that scene was as a metaphor for shark culls and the like.
Crystalline Entity is just doing its thing, and arguments can be made for or against killing it to protect humans.

And they're better than the humans on B5.

nah its a metaphor for god.

>omg no way they could talk with this entity which clearly is able to understand!

Even so Picard's plan was to attempt contact and if that didn't work to kill it anyway. The old lady just skipped the first phase.
Kirk made peace with the silicon entity despite it killing almost an entire mining colony

It doesn't turn into a soap opera, that user is full of shit. It does start to have a longer over-arching story.

Quality is subjective.

In terms of long-term story arcs, DS9 has a higher focus than TNG but a lower focus than B5.

>an entire mining colony

Thats nice and all, but this entity has now stripped 11 planets and various ships

literally did nothing wrong
and that's still a small number compared to the total population of the Federation so it's a moot point

>its ok it was just 11 planets

and on top of that you want to use the entity as a genocide machine against the enemies of the Federation, you're evil user

I don't think soap opera is a necessarily derogatory term. To me it means a large ensemble cast and the drama is a bit heightened. For example I would say walking dead has some soap opera qualities

Have you got faith of the heart, user?

but it would have been cool, could have flushed out the maquis without needing to gas planets

I'm kind of like Data, I like telling people about stuff. But the fact is that most people do not care about learning. That is because people are boring.

>B5
I reread after I posted thinking that's what you meant
I think I enjoyed B5 more
It just seemed a more grander scale overall and maybe a little smarter?
DS9 is OK but I found a lot more misses that hits and too episodic as well

>the drunk virus ep
I would totally smash Dr. Crusher

Quiet laterally autism

I feel ya

>Will I get to see more Borg in TNG or DS9,
Borg are in TNG, First Contact, and VOY. Not in DS9. DS9's main adversary is a group from the gamma quadrant.

>Sisko gases a planet
>nobody dies
>send in the Crystalline Entity
>everybody dies
>this is better somehow
Five question marks?????