Infinity

Is this Marvel's fourth best "event"?

No. Every event in the past 4 years from Marvel has been terrible.

No its easily the best (besides maybe annihilation)
>Best art.
>Least characters being written out of character.
>Epic as fuck.
>Solid Thanos portrayal.

This. I feel like Secret Wars could've gone maybe the full 12 issues instead of 8, but it was really great overall.

>Secret Wars
Huh? This thread is about Infinity.

Annihilation is way better tbqh

>fourth
That leaves plenty of room for Annihilation.

This shit was 3 years ago already? Christ.

Has from Infinity been brought up in that time?
I don't think anyone cares about the builders, and I'm pretty sure Thane's only appearance was in Black Vortex.

>Has from Infinity been brought up in that time?
Well the Terrigen Mist thing started there.

>Infinity
>good

>Annihilation
>good

They're both pretty medicore stories. I was so hyped to read Annihilation but all I got was boring shit about an incredibly lame villain.

Note that OP doesn't say good.
It says best.

Why do you say so?
I liked it a lot, but curious

bump

Yeah I love it alot.

Still haven't gotten over juking readers out of the Black Panther/Black Dwarf fight.

?

>Lets make cosmic heroes lame losers that need avengers to save them!
>Lets have Annihilation Wave job to my generic lame aliens!
>Lets have Annihilation Wave so fucking small it's not even quater size of the fleet sent to destroy Xandar
>Lets have cosmic empires shake in fear of planet destroying ships, nevermind the casuallyy blow up stars in border conflicts.
>Lets derail Thanos' character and make him Darkseid 2.0
> Lets throw in a bunch of ideas I have no plan or intention of working with later!
>Lets not show us who the new villains are, jsut have a page with text tell them it all
>Lets have Doctor Strange job and be overall incompetent because I hate magic and fantasy poisoning my pwecious sf.
>Lets have 18 fucking people single handely win a galactic war and have all alien empires suck their dicks for it
>Lets have a badass moments at cost of completely ripping and tearing Thor's character
>Lets have everythign solved by my pwecious oc, making everyone else usleesss and insignificant. I want to push my ocs I'm going to forget about five issues later.

No
Fuck no
What the fuck

>>Lets have a badass moments at cost of completely ripping and tearing Thor's character
How did it trash his character?

It was not awful. It's main problem was trying to run two separate arcs simultaneously, Thanos and Builders, and it suffered for it.

That said, by virtue of just not being god awful, it's probably top 4.

You mean "ever?" The no, probably not. The crossovers in the 80's were small, controlled and rare, so they were generally higher quality.

I do think it's the 2nd best event since the start of the Quesada era. It was big enough to feel like it stood alone while weaving pretty seamlessly into the Hickman Avengers tapestry. If you don't like Hickman, then I'm sure you hate it. If you do, then you'll know it's one of the weakest parts of the story but also not bad, which most modern events are.

I'd say the top 5 Marvel "events" since 2000 are probably:

1. Secret Wars (2015)
2. Infinity
3. Annihilation
4. AXIS
5. World War Hulk

>1. Secret Wars (2015)
bait

That's kinda my thinking desu

Attacking under a flag of truce is called perfidy and it's been a war crime for as long as there have been war crimes. Having it be Cap's big plan and having Thor of all people do it shits all over both of their characters.

>1.Secret Wars (2015)

Your full of fucking shit.
They broke the treaty first by promising that no matter what Earth is going to die.
It's not a war crime to stop genocide that will happen no matter if you surrender or not.

The fact that one party to a conflict has committed war crimes has never been a justification for committing war crimes. But that's really beside the point, which was that it's out of character for Captain America and Thor to do it, no matter how dire the situation.

>has never been a justification for committing war crimes
We have never faced the extermination of are species before and killing one person isn't a war crime anymore then Assassinating Yamamoto was.

And it's perfectly in character for both of them to kill to save lives.
Thor killed the Sentry in siege.
Cap punched a terrorist so hard it snapped his neck so he had no time to blow up a church full of innocent people.

>Something Really Cool Happened Off-Panel But We'll Spend Pages Telling You It Happened: The Event
>even considered fourth best

Nice one. Hickman can't write events.

"Article 37. – Prohibition of perfidy
1. It is prohibited to kill, injure or capture an adversary by resort to perfidy. Acts inviting the confidence of an adversary to lead him to believe that he is entitled to, or is obliged to accord, protection under the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict, with intent to betray that confidence, shall constitute perfidy. The following acts are examples of perfidy:
(a) The feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender;"

What they did is explicitly a war crime. Yamamoto's plane was shot down during a campaign, which is not at all similar.

No one said it was out of character for them to kill (although citing Bendis as an example of acting in character is laughable), but that it's out of character for them to commit war crimes.

God no, the writing was robotic as fuck.

>no siege

It wasn't a war.
It was an extinction event.
And we do not know that Thor was absolutely going to kill the emissary. He just made the call.
Also, we don't know that Cap even told him to kill the guy. He just sent his best negotiator.

>He just made the call after the Builder spat in a literal GOD's face.

Also, you're citing something that applies to Earth. The Avengers were under the Authority of the Council. Rules are undoubtedly different.

Like most of Hickman's Marvel work, Infinity was trash simply because it horribly fails to expand on its thematic premise. It starts off positing this idea of the Avengers "universal policemen," but doesn't actually explore the claim in any detail. Where we could've gotten some interesting discussion--well, "inspired" at the very least, as this isn't anything close to a new concept--out of it, Hickman proceeds to waste our time with pages of generic Mass Effect-style action and countless "badass" or "epic" monologues/exposition, wrapping up the actual conflict in literally 3 panels.

Secret Wars was the same thing, too, just swapping one tired idea for another (the Beyonders are editors, you guys, so meta).

He goes on about how long term plotting is better for actually developing characters and themes, but he's so fucking bad at it you'd think he Bendis' wordier apprentice.

>It wasn't a war.
The battle between whatever OC (forgot the name) and the Avengers/allied alien species was very much allegorical to an actual war. Not that war crimes were necessarily a problem with the story, but it further shows just how undercooked Infinity--his whole Avengers run, really--was.

>They broke the treaty first by promising that no matter what Earth is going to die.
They had fucking negotiations and were negotiating from position of power, so they were dicks.
Still doesn't justify what Thor did.

>>Solid Thanos portrayal.
MY FUCKING SIDES

Siege had one of my favorite splash pages ever, if not the one. All those reactions, especially the hidden one from Osborne. You know he had a hell of a shit eating grin underneath that mask

You're being obtuse. It was a large scale armed conflict between organized groups, which is a war. And it's obvious killing the Builder was the plan all along. Hence Cap's "A reckoning," and "Now we win," while smirking.

Am I the only one who feels like Secret Wars had a lot of great ideas but squandered them with a rushed story? Battleworld seemed so cool and all the ideas (Black Panther leading the zombies to battle, Doom God vs Phoenix Force, Thanos vs Army of Thors, Army of Hulks coming to smash, etc.) seemed awesome in theory but they were all just kind of skimmed over rather than really delivered on in full. Its like every cool idea got a single splash page instead of actual development. I really think the story needed to go the full 12 like the original Secret Wars.

Is that Hercules he just ripped apart? I've seen the image floating around, but never cared enough to ask.

Ares

No, almost everyone feels this way about every event

To add to that, every time somebody was about to do something cool, Doom stops them.
Maybe if they didn't waste entire issues on exposition, it could have not sucked.

Any event that requires you to read tie-ins is fucking retarded.

Huh?

I just read Avengers, New Avengers, and Infinity.

That's a good crossover.

.``

>It wasn't a war.
>It was an extinction event.
Wasn't the entire point of Avengers vs Illuminati conflict that Steve believes you cannot break your rules even in the face of an extinction event?

Close, it's Ares.
He got better recently.

He didn't break any personal code.
Steve has killed a ton, he just doesn't like to do it.

The difference with the alternate Earths was that blowing them up was making a choice FOR an entire world.